Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

American McGay posted:

Please for the love of God stop jerking off to the anime cop in the booty shorts in this thread.

We both know that isn't going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

THE GOOSE IS LOOSE

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

Please for the love of God stop jerking off to the anime cop in the booty shorts in this thread.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1167467014912389120

Still on the fence about this, will the goose be a thicc anime goose?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Toaster Beef posted:

Same day as Link's Awakening? gently caress me.

I am so getting that one.

RBA Starblade posted:

We both know that isn't going to happen.

:yeah:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Augus posted:

Still on the fence about this, will the goose be a thicc anime goose?

:honk:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Guess I’m spending 74.99 on September 20.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

After a night of restless dreams, Link awakens to find himself transformed into a goose

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So Astral Chain looks good on TV and mediocre hand held but I still can't tell if it's fun. In some ways the combat looks bad like Daemon X Machina. Who has played it in some capacity? Is it more bayonetta like or what?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Have you ever played a Platinum game? It's one of those. Bayonetta, Revengeance, Wonderful 101, that thing that's in all those games, it's also in this game

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

It's more w101 than bayo. Which means you have to do extra stuff to feel competent\cool, or you leave the assists on and it plays itself. Personally loving it and it's seemingly a full rear end game, as in the story and combat go hand in hand, not just in service of the other.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I will be very upset if there is no option to play as a Canada goose in a game where you're an rear end in a top hat goose.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heck yes. Looking forward to being an rear end in a top hat goose.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1167471414481489920?s=21

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Coxswain Balls posted:

I will be very upset if there is no option to play as a Canada goose in a game where you're an rear end in a top hat goose.

Yeah I've never even seen one of these white geese in person and I cannot emphasize with it

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

That loving song in Neuron HQ. It never stops being funky.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Haven't heard a bad song yet, the soundtrack is killer

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Honk's Awakening

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Boy they really hosed Link's Awakening

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

well no one said link had to be a boy

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I'm kind of stuck in Astral Chain, probably missing something obvious.

Edit: Nvm I figured it as soon as I posted this, duh.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Astral Chain, not far in yet but
I'm really uncomfortable with the story so far. Playing a cop that beats creatures into submission to enslave them is many layers of yikes.

The early mission where the Legions break their chains/collars and attack their captors is great until the hero music plays and you smash it with a stick so you can slap a collar back on it.

I suspect they are going to show the Legions grow to be friends with the cops WHICH IS WAY WORSE.

It's a fun and very pretty game but the story so far makes my skin crawl.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
So after two files of Astral Chain I feel obliged to point out a few things for anyone just starting out:

1: Don't try to melee anything that isn't an Abberation (the small human-type enemies) unless they're stunned or chained down. That is because...

2: Your dodge sucks balls. You can't cover enough ground to avoid the larger enemies' attacks, the timing for a perfect dodge is fairly strict, and even when you perfect dodge you only get about a second of invulnerability (including the time in which you recover from the dodge animation). I don't know if you can chain perfect dodges early on - I know I couldn't.

3: You can, however, counter-attack out of a perfect dodge by hitting ZR after one. This is a trap. You have no i-frames during this counter (save for what was provided by the perfect dodge) so if the enemy is mid-combo you will still get your poo poo handed to you. Use it only if you know there isn't a follow-up attack.

3a: If you do land a counter-attack, the enemy will either be launched (for smaller enemies) or staggered (for bigger enemies). The staggers don't last very long at all, so don't try to combo out of your counters like it's Bayonetta.

4: All of these supposedly changes once you get to upgrade / customize your skills and legions. Seems like classic Platinum-style jank to put mechanics vital for game feel behind upgrades but hey.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Reallycoolname posted:

So after two files of Astral Chain I feel obliged to point out a few things for anyone just starting out:

1: Don't try to melee anything that isn't an Abberation (the small human-type enemies) unless they're stunned or chained down. That is because...

2: Your dodge sucks balls. You can't cover enough ground to avoid the larger enemies' attacks, the timing for a perfect dodge is fairly strict, and even when you perfect dodge you only get about a second of invulnerability (including the time in which you recover from the dodge animation). I don't know if you can chain perfect dodges early on - I know I couldn't.

3: You can, however, counter-attack out of a perfect dodge by hitting ZR after one. This is a trap. You have no i-frames during this counter (save for what was provided by the perfect dodge) so if the enemy is mid-combo you will still get your poo poo handed to you. Use it only if you know there isn't a follow-up attack.

3a: If you do land a counter-attack, the enemy will either be launched (for smaller enemies) or staggered (for bigger enemies). The staggers don't last very long at all, so don't try to combo out of your counters like it's Bayonetta.

4: All of these supposedly changes once you get to upgrade / customize your skills and legions. Seems like classic Platinum-style jank to put mechanics vital for game feel behind upgrades but hey.

Much appreciated. This is the kind of info I was looking for. Going to hold out a while to see if point 4 holds true.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I know everyone's distracted by police booty, but Risk of Rain 2 also launched today.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Say what you want about Platinum, they sure do know how to craft anime rear end

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

In the line of booty: Astral Chain

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Inzombiac posted:

Astral Chain, not far in yet but
I'm really uncomfortable with the story so far. Playing a cop that beats creatures into submission to enslave them is many layers of yikes.

The early mission where the Legions break their chains/collars and attack their captors is great until the hero music plays and you smash it with a stick so you can slap a collar back on it.

I suspect they are going to show the Legions grow to be friends with the cops WHICH IS WAY WORSE.

It's a fun and very pretty game but the story so far makes my skin crawl.

yeaaaaah im pretty sure the cops arent gonna turn out to be the good guys here

the leader of your cop org is the most evil coded guy ever

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I mean cmon even the trailer was hinting at it in the most heavy-handed manner possible

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are the apartment blocks in rear end Chain recycled from Nier?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hentai Jihadist posted:

True but even if that happens, the Legion should be set free and then any """""""""good"""""""" cops should fight him alone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:lol:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Inzombiac posted:

True but even if that happens, the Legion should be set free and then any """""""""good"""""""" cops should fight him alone.

my anime cop is a silent psycho and im happy the game seems to know shes the villain

e i am worried they will eventually go with the "theyr ur friends now" route though

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Voucher purchased games don't give you coins, but would I get the double coins bonus from voucher purchased game? It's how I want to get Link's Awakening, but without that promotion it's less appealing (Arguably trying to get it for 15 bucks less).

Why this wasn't called even the "The Goose is Loose" or any number of goose puns is beyond me, let alone the bland The Goose Game. It's a funny name, but it isn't as charming as the super literal "Octopath Traveller".

Toaster Beef posted:

Same day as Link's Awakening? gently caress me.

And they're probably as long as one another. If you can't get Goose Game, just call your Link Goose instead, like I am.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Unlockable skins would make this game GOTY for sure.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah I've never even seen one of these white geese in person and I cannot emphasize with it

It's the most common domesticate breed (if you can call those awful beasts domesticated), pretty sure domestic ducks are often white too. Have you ever gone to a farm? I think Americans really don't eat a lot of geese these days, but that's the one that you would eat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Say what you want about Platinum, they sure do know how to craft anime rear end

I’m waiting on the Digital Foundry in-depth vídeo where they track just how many polygons and resources are spent on the anime booty.

Once early complaint so fart: when you dodge any attack the follow-up counter attack appear to be towards whoever you currently have locked on which may not be the target that you just dodged an attack.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So,
Cops in Japan are in many ways very different than in America. Their police is completely demilitarized, the only guns they carry around are dinky revolvers that haven’t been upgraded since the 60’s because they are barely ever used. Annual gun deaths are consistently in the single digits as a result of strong gun control laws. Their crime rate is one of the lowest in the world and their repeat offense rate is even lower.
This isn’t to say there isn’t abuse, the fact that there are so few crimes has led to cases where bored police officers wasted time and resources on pointless stake-outs for extremely petty offenses. But the fact is that people don’t get gunned down by police in Japan like they do in America. In media they tend to be depicted more like civil servants than the “strong arm of the law hammering down on criminal scum.” They’re the guys who get your cat out of the tree and clean up litter.
This is all just to say that the whole “super-cops” thing probably has different connotations in a country that isn’t a total militarized police state hellhole.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 30, 2019

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

GOOSE GAME GOOSE GANG

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been trying to keep that in mind when playing Astral Chain. Most countries don't have the oppressive military police state, whose sole purpose is to uphold white supremacy, that the United States does.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

which part of ACAB do you guys not understand

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

which part of ACAB do you guys not understand

It stands for Astral Chain Amazing Booty right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Augus posted:

It stands for Astral Chain Amazing Booty right?

:butt:

e: what's the booty shake emote