Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

if you don't want to see this you're a dork!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ehud posted:

it might be good but i have zero desire to watch it. it looks like an odious film

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ammanas posted:

it might be good but i have zero desire to watch it. it looks like an odious film

yeah I like watching movies they make me feel lousy

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ehud posted:

It looks like an overly serious parody trailer from Funny or Die.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i thought this lean a bit too heavily on just saying the word "weird" but the shirt gag with the father is inspired so i forgive it

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
A movie where the plot summary seems to be "some pathetic sad-sack gets poo poo on a whole bunch and he eventually loses it" just doesn't sound like something I want to watch no matter who he winds up becoming in the end.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the irony is that despite the indie veneer, in terms of actual substance, the Nolan films are probably going to still come off as more thoughtful and nuanced.

I think the most telling thing about the film is that the 1981 setting is probably meant to align with the Hinkley shooting... but like, I can't imagine that actually meaning anything besides superficial parallels.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Goddamn I hate the internet

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hot drat this looks like my poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm4VnwCtQO8

I did not think it would look that good based on the description.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

It's weird to me seeing Streep and Oldman in a movie with Robert Patrick, David Schwimmer, and Sharon Stone. I love all of them and I think this movie looks fun, but they seem like they belong in different movies.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ariza posted:

It's weird to me seeing Streep and Oldman in a movie with Robert Patrick, David Schwimmer, and Sharon Stone. I love all of them and I think this movie looks fun, but they seem like they belong in different movies.

If so, Banderas belongs in all of them.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Are they going for Joker's Letterman appearance in the Dark Knight Returns?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

Well then.

Yeah. I’m amazed that she managed to come out of it (and being a starlet in Hollywood like less than a decade later, in Miramax movies at that given, uh, Harvey) reasonably sane, let alone be able to do comedy and actually be good at it.

That woman’s badass.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Didn't she get discovered by yelling at an employee in a bank? That adds up.

e: Yep.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

There's some yarn I forget the specifics of but essentially Charlize sends a bouquet of flowers, a gift basket, or something to some person everytime she gets hired for a role. As a "gently caress you!" to them.

Always liked that story.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SimonCat posted:

Are they going for Joker's Letterman appearance in the Dark Knight Returns?

Definitely.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Screenwriter Simon Barrett has probably the most accurate take on Joker:

https://twitter.com/Simon_Barrett/status/1166848044173676544

Also it's hard to believe because she's so charming in most roles but the rumors around Hollywood are that Theron is a complete raging rear end in a top hat.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wasn’t Theron with Another Noted rear end in a top hat Sean Penn for quite a while too? That’d make some sense.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She was amazing and chill on Hot Ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQMW4eVrzw

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Her new car show on Netflix is great and stupid as hell

https://twitter.com/charlizeafrica/status/1164475922164211713?s=21

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxy8udgWRmo

I...actually want to see this now?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I don't. Looks like old hat still.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

That looks.....

....potentially awesome? Linda Hamilton is such a fuckin’ badass. It looks like the timeline passed over John Connor as the savior of humanity and picked that young girl, instead.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

That looks.....

....potentially awesome? Linda Hamilton is such a fuckin’ badass. It looks like the timeline passed over John Connor as the savior of humanity and picked that young girl, instead.

Would explain why we haven't seen Eddie Furlong in any of the footage.

I mean, other than because of this:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Dillbag posted:

No fate but what we ate make.

Edit: Jesus, is that recent?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't. Looks like old hat still.

It looks straight up awful, honestly. I beg of them to just reboot the whole loving series, start from scratch like there was never a Terminator movie before, give some young indie/short filmmaker who shows some promise the equivalent to the amount of money Cameron had to make the original, and give them the ground rules of "woman on the run from robot skeleton sent to kill her that's wearing human skin; actual human from the future sent back to protect her, make it horror and action, take it all seriously, otherwise, go wild". John Wick was a solid reminder that action movies don't need to contend with Fast & Furious level shenanigans to be incredible, just focus, ingenuity, and a good script (which I get the feeling, based on seeing both David Goyer and Billy Ray's names on the "Screenplay by" credit on the poster, is not going to be applicable to this).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dillbag posted:

They're missing a perfect opportunity to have Dadbod John Connor loafing on a couch in a trailer park, munching Fritos and Bud Light and watching Dancing With The Stars, just completely not giving a gently caress after Judgment Day passed and nothing happened.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Fitting that the ultimate hunter killer wears border patrol uniform now

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Baffled that anyone thinks that looks any different than the first trailer. None of that is what I want out of a Terminator movie.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Baffled that anyone thinks that looks any different than the first trailer. None of that is what I want out of a Terminator movie.

GENISYS was a subversion of the franchise (Sarah goes from hard and independent to soft and a kept child, Kyle from tyrannically driven to nonplussed, John from nemesis of Skynet and savior to actually being Skynet itself and the destroyer, ...) and as such provided a sort-of nail-in-the-coffin word on what TERMINATOR is and is not.

DARK FATE looks as though it's a 2.0 from the same production line but like it learned no lessons from the franchise's failures. GENISYS but without the hot takes, with just makes it toothless.

I don't understand why the attitude of making the movies seems to be that obviously the action needs to get pumped up and made more bombastic and over-the-top so finally audiences will be won over again. Strip it down. The first TERMINATOR was a lot of things, including a man and a woman huddled together, speaking softly to each other and falling in love. The abject refusal to move back to that tempo and temperament only hinders.

And I just super miss the television show and the last time this franchise was awesome all over again, :rip:, which is the greatest crime perpetrated by this trailer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm just glad Linda Hamilton is getting to play a badass again.

I'm not gonna see the movie but good for her.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Gonz posted:

That looks.....

From what i heard Arnie in this film kills T2 era John Connor in the first few minutes of the film

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I demand Edward Furlong in the Glenn Danzig Story right now chopchop.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So this has nothing to do with the past several Terminator movies and is instead a direct sequel to T2?

God this is why time travel stories do not make good long termed franchises.

Doctor Who being the major exception.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Joker trailer looks pretty all right. Wish I could say the same of Dark Fate. Additionally, Charlize Theron owns. This concludes my thoughts about the last page.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Proudly continuing the tradition of each new Terminator movie being worse than the last.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Terminator spoiler Furlong is in it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Also it's hard to believe because she's so charming in most roles but the rumors around Hollywood are that Theron is a complete raging rear end in a top hat.

This is always debatable when it comes to Hollywood rumors since “rear end in a top hat” can either mean “actually is an rear end in a top hat” or “just doesn’t take bullshit from people”. Hollywood is the most backstabby industry, especially with above the line people - the moment you have a big success, everyone is hoping for you to gently caress up and fail so hard you’re at the bottom of the totem pole again, regardless of how nice you are to everyone around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Cameo posted:

This is always debatable when it comes to Hollywood rumors since “rear end in a top hat” can either mean “actually is an rear end in a top hat” or “just doesn’t take bullshit from people”. Hollywood is the most backstabby industry, especially with above the line people - the moment you have a big success, everyone is hoping for you to gently caress up and fail so hard you’re at the bottom of the totem pole again, regardless of how nice you are to everyone around you.

Not to mention women in any industry getting labels if they have things like opinions and backbones.