Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

MonsieurChoc posted:

There was a Legacy in Silver Ladde rimplied to be tainted by some otherworldly entity.

There was also the Merovingians Proximi family.
Oh yeah there's definitely ways to get hosed up as you go (like, "be a Scelestus") but it's not as guaranteed as vampires turning Weird, werewolves getting all spirit-y and requiring carnivore flesh or worse, changelings slowly becoming True Fae, sin-eaters turning ghost-y, prometheans become magnets for bullshit and ruin the world around them even harder, and I'm certain without wanting to learn anything about them that beasts do too. Demons and mummies don't really have the problem because they have ways to just Be 10 Power Stat, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Demons have a Cover stat in place of the Integrity equivalent, which is not tied to a moral or psychological foundation so much as their ability to elude detection by the God-Machine and its angels. To use a video game analogy, Cover 0 would be like entering the "Alert" phase of a Metal Gear Solid game or a Five-Star Wanted Level in Grand Theft Auto. Granted, I am only partway through the chargen chapter so someone else may go into better detail than I.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Libertad! posted:

Demons have a Cover stat in place of the Integrity equivalent, which is not tied to a moral or psychological foundation so much as their ability to elude detection by the God-Machine and its angels. To use a video game analogy, Cover 0 would be like entering the "Alert" phase of a Metal Gear Solid game or a Five-Star Wanted Level in Grand Theft Auto. Granted, I am only partway through the chargen chapter so someone else may go into better detail than I.
Oh yeah but for what I'm talking about, I'm thinking about their Primum, like vampire Blood Potency, werewolf Primal Urge, etc.

However while you're talking about it, I do like how they handle Cover, and I like that WtF 2e Harmony does another "yeah this isn't really 'morality' so much as 'a measure of how much you're This Thing'" Integrity-alike.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Are Lamprey Vampires a clan or a bloodline? Because I am pretty sure you could get some kind of weird vampire variant going out of 'my sire got hollowed out into fish power armor by a bunch of horrible monster fish and they kept doing the vampire thing anyway.'

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Hell, I'd say the best fit would probably be just giving them whatever Dread Powers or Gift options seem appropriate to the Lampreys; maybe your disciplines get stuck at whatever they're at, but now you can buy gifts of Blood, Hunger, Nature, Warding as though you had...let's say Cunning, Honor, or Wisdom renown? Since now you can't get More Vampire, just More Lamprey.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I feel so odd reading this thread. I've been playing WOD games for 15 years and never really dipped into the lore.

Our games were always homebrew, set in Portland (my hometown) and often with a near-future level of tech.

None of us have a poo poo about who was the leader of the New York Camarilla or whatever. Whoever was running the game would pluck out elements that they liked from here and there and make up brand new stories.

Then again, I didn't run adventure paths in DnD. That was all homebrew as well.

Am I a weirdo?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Demons at 6 or higher Primum acquire perma-glitches that can never ever be suppressed except by lowering their Primum and they become vulnerable to a new category of glitches that makes their particular brand of weird much more prone to leaking out into the world. So there's deffo a serious downside to high Primum, but it's also milder than a lot of others.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Inzombiac posted:

I feel so odd reading this thread. I've been playing WOD games for 15 years and never really dipped into the lore.

Our games were always homebrew, set in Portland (my hometown) and often with a near-future level of tech.

None of us have a poo poo about who was the leader of the New York Camarilla or whatever. Whoever was running the game would pluck out elements that they liked from here and there and make up brand new stories.

Am I a weirdo?

Nope, that's fairly normal.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Am I a weirdo?

Yes, but not for telling your own stories. I think it comes with the territory of playing these games for a long time.

Honestly, the best part of the new WoD for me when it came out was the divorce of my story with a meta plot story of expectations when trying to find people to play the games. I plain didn’t want to read all those books. Some of it was cool, but as Loomer regularly demonstrates, there was a lot of trash.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Inzombiac posted:

Are there any WoD real-play podcasts that are focused on comedy?

I've tried a couple but they're all just full of overwrought drama.

I will help edit audio and write for this if someone else wants to do most of the grunt work. I'm down to play also, I just don't have time to ST.

edit-

Five Eyes posted:

With players "in the know", I've generally felt more obligation to be up-front about making changes in oWoD (where I feel like people come to play "in the setting", if that makes sense) versus nWoD. I'd scrap the Diamond Orders basically without warning but I'd probably be more clear about changing up the Camarilla or Sabbat lineup or structure.

my favorite thing to do is make it clear to experienced players from the outset that unless they've got dots on the sheet that confirm for a fact they have Secret Knowledge, anything their characters know from the metagame is liable to be hearsay, rumor, or blasphemous statistics. Throwing someone a twist is always more dramatic than "your character doesn't know mages are real unless they got at least one dot in Mage Lore."

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 29, 2019

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017

Inzombiac posted:

Am I a weirdo?

I've been running WoD stuff for players with no familiarity with the setting or metaplot for several years now, and I find it very refreshing. Gives a lot of freedom to add or alter elements without any player preconceptions, and even some of the old dumb stuff can work pretty well if you shave away the bad parts and control the presentation - especially if you don't have players who will arrive at "Oh I get it he's a Cappadocian." The players-who-know can be difficult to manage even if you do make explicit changes.

With players "in the know", I've generally felt more obligation to be up-front about making changes in oWoD (where I feel like people come to play "in the setting", if that makes sense) versus nWoD. I'd scrap the Diamond Orders basically without warning but I'd probably be more clear about changing up the Camarilla or Sabbat lineup or structure.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Libertad! posted:

Cover is a little more long-term than those examples but otherwise no, that's a nearly-perfect analogy.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Thought I would share my V5 story in here, since every other V5 story in here is of some lovely ST.

My 3 dot fame Toreador Anarch EDM DJ got #MeToo’ed. Well, got set up, at least. We came to discover that my long lost sire had flipped to the Camarilla, and was using a human fashion model to accuse me and try and destroy my career as they (Cam) were trying to gain a foothold in the city. Of course being Toreador I was specced pretty heavily into Presence and took the Siren feeding type, so even my fellow Anarchs and my coterie totally believed I had done it at first. The accusation came in the form of a social media post (my character spends a lot of transit/free time poking away at twitter/IG) and it became such a big part of the story that I found my character meeting with a publicist to try and find a way to fight the narrative without being a misogynist.

I’ve known the GM for a while so it wasn’t one of those “lmao this is an excuse to point out that there are false accusers in the movement” moment, and when we finally “resolved” it (I was able to get the woman to redact her claim, I invited her to one of my shows, but even now I still get flak from some strangers every once and a while) one of the players told me that she was surprised with the amount of tact and depth we were able to explore on the topic without getting all gross with it or trivializing it.

So yeah, game is good if you play with good cool people. I can’t think of another system with this kind of interpersonal mechanics to hang something that weighty on. There is also a much greater personal tragedy for my eternally optimistic character where he’s gonna have to kill his sire at some point (tried and failed more than once to bring her back to the anarch fold, coterie is pissed at me for being kinda pacifist) , but that’s ancillary to the above story.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Inzombiac posted:

Am I a weirdo?

Not really, I've been playing oWOD and nWOD/CoD on and off for 15 years as well and we never touched the metaplot except in the barest terms (like Imbued and Demons showing up). We had an one-shot set during the Camarilla take over of NY from the Sabbat because I had the book, but otherwise all the games we've had were set in homebrew settings (plural, since not every chronicle is the same timeline) with our in-group metaplot.

My players wouldn't give a poo poo if Lucita or Vykos showed up (I think Beckett is the only one that might get a reaction thanks to Bloodlines), but they love it when one of their old retired PCs shows up as a NPC. I am even thinking of creating Loresheets for characters, events and factions from older campaigns.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 29, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

On a certain level, there is a kind of irony about a vampire having to find a way out of that given that they basically do just intimately assault people all the time.

Just, y'know, not that kind of assault.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Mors Rattus posted:

On a certain level, there is a kind of irony about a vampire having to find a way out of that given that they basically do just intimately assault people all the time.

Just, y'know, not that kind of assault.

Yeah we generally do a tasteful “fade to black” because literally nobody is here for ERP, but I really shudder to think about using my powers on the unwilling. Luckily my character is super hot and popular so there’s always somebody willing around.

And I had a talk with the ST before the game started about it, making real fuckin clear where the line is drawn. Just because you have mind control powers doesn’t mean you have to be a piece of poo poo.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Oh yeah there's definitely ways to get hosed up as you go (like, "be a Scelestus") but it's not as guaranteed as vampires turning Weird, werewolves getting all spirit-y and requiring carnivore flesh or worse, changelings slowly becoming True Fae, sin-eaters turning ghost-y, prometheans become magnets for bullshit and ruin the world around them even harder, and I'm certain without wanting to learn anything about them that beasts do too. Demons and mummies don't really have the problem because they have ways to just Be 10 Power Stat, I think?

Changelings don't just turn into True Fey by gaining Wyrd, and in second edition Sin Eaters get more in sync with their Geist as their power stat goes up, they don't become more ghosty.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

GNU Order posted:

Yeah we generally do a tasteful “fade to black” because literally nobody is here for ERP, but I really shudder to think about using my powers on the unwilling. Luckily my character is super hot and popular so there’s always somebody willing around.

And I had a talk with the ST before the game started about it, making real fuckin clear where the line is drawn. Just because you have mind control powers doesn’t mean you have to be a piece of poo poo.

Hang on to him/her, good V5 ST's are rare.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

neaden posted:

Changelings don't just turn into True Fey by gaining Wyrd, and in second edition Sin Eaters get more in sync with their Geist as their power stat goes up, they don't become more ghosty.
Changelings it was strongly implied in 1e anyway, and in 2e you start hitting breaking points against Clarity with progressively larger pools, until Wyrd 10, the equivalent breaking point as premeditated murder. And Geist I'm thinking of 1e's "spend more time in the Underworld" track, but in 2e you do start to get a liminal aura that applies the Controlled condition, letting nearby ghosts just merge with poo poo for fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thank is for the input, folks.
While I'm very well seasoned in these games, I never know where I stack.

Maybe a couple of you recall a Hunter game I ran some years ago. It was a full homebrew cyberpunk setting full of chunky 80s tech and on-the-fly body mods.

I took what the original art for Shadowrun promised, injected vampires/werewolves and set it in a martial-law version of future Portland.

The whole thing was about the nature and consequences of transhumanism and the value, if any, of true self identity.
If you can freely swap out parts of your body or become a whole new creature, where do YOU stop existing?

Anyway, that game died after a while due to scheduling conflicts but I tore down all of the work I did and have been writing a whole new system.
It's not much because I work a lot but I'm hoping that this upcoming Vampire game helps get the momentum up again.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Changelings it was strongly implied in 1e anyway, and in 2e you start hitting breaking points against Clarity with progressively larger pools, until Wyrd 10, the equivalent breaking point as premeditated murder.

Becoming Nightmare, the infamous section on high-Wyrd changelings becoming Gentry from 1e's Equinox Road, doesn't actually say that the transformation is caused by Wyrd 10. Wyrd 10 is a prerequisite for the transformation, but no specific trigger is ever described to reliably cause the onset of the transformative process except for "a moment that should be neatly discussed by both Storyteller and character." That said, there are significant enough drawbacks for excessive Wyrd in 1e without Becoming Nightmare: accumulating frailties, and optionally, the expanded high-Wyrd seeming blessings and curses from Equinox Road.

2e's Clarity attacks I read as initial shocks rather than lasting trauma; hitting Wyrd 10 is a huge shock, yes, but once the shock has passed and healed, it doesn't recur. The frailties are still there, though.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hmm, is there a Bloodline of vampires going Lovecraftian/Bloodborne-esque? It seems like an obvious take thinking about it now.

There's an entire subfaction of the Ordo Dracul mentioned in their covenant book as wanting to basically turn themselves into something out of a Lovecraftian horror story. I think they're called Cthonic's or Cthonian's or something like that. I'd have to check to be sure of their exact name, but yeah. They're not so much transhuman as much as they are desperately trying to sprint away from humanity to something likely to be ugly for everyone.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 30, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i keep meaning to get back on with my ordo dracul-originated parasite vampires but ive had a bit of a hard time irl the past week or so and ive not gotten together the focus to rewrite the powers as a 2e bloodline thing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just an fyi i am definitely still interested in your oWoD vampire clan horoscopes f or my zine for next months game

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Shrecknet posted:

Just an fyi i am definitely still interested in your oWoD vampire clan horoscopes f or my zine for next months game

Tremere: Your lucky number is 7. Your unlucky number is also 7. To be safe, avoid all numbers divisible by seven or which sum to seven.
Gangrel: You know how we told you last time it was The Night? We were mistaken. The Night is actually next month. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Tzimisce: [REMOVED BY ORDER OF THE RAT WITH SIX FACES]
Malkavian: 7 14 21 28 35 42 49 56.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 30, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Loomer posted:

Tremere: Your lucky number is 7. Your unlucky number is also 7. To be safe, avoid all numbers divisible by seven or which sum to seven.
Gangrel: You know how we told you last time it was The Night? We were mistaken. The Night is actually next month. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Tzimisce: [REMOVED BY ORDER OF THE RAT WITH SIX FACES]
Malkavian: 7 14 21 28 35 42 49 56.

This, except make one of the numbers in the middle off by one

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ventrue: Who are you?
Lasombra: What do you want?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Oh hell yeah another v5 liker has entered the chat

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Toreador: (A picture of a Banksy selected at random.)

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ventrue: Who are you?
Lasombra: What do you want?

I appreciate this post.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

GNU Order posted:

Using mind control powers without permission is the same as sexual assault imo

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

I want to say that the only splat whose Power Stat increasing doesn't get weird and bad for them is Mages, but that's because everything about them is probably weird and bad already.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Oberst posted:

So is your posting, but you don't see us complaining about that

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Caitiff: If it seems like everyone's out to get you, they are! You, as you are, represent an exigent threat to the existence of all Kindred. Hope your time doesn't run. . . Thin.
Giovanni: Expect some friends for dinner tonight. They'll arrive before the first Bite.
Followers of Set: B)
Brujah: Where does your rage go when you become the machine?

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 30, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nosferatu: Love comes in unexpected forms. Knowledge is power, and gifts come to those who give. Your lucky numbers are (select random geographic coordinates in your city), 3 AM.

Then offer soul selling deals to anyone who shows up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oberst posted:

This is why I prefer the version from Lucifer.
He can't make anyone do something they don't want to do, he just draws up their desires to the surface.

Even when I played a Daeva for a long campaign, I didn't use my powers for sexual reasons. It was more, "Let's be best friends and OH WHOOPS looks like those guys are gonna hurt me, please help!"
Still monsterous for putting people in harm's way for my own gain but hey, that's Vampire!

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

throw in a nVampire horoscope to confused everyone and pretend your character has some secret knowledge of whole non-existent clans. You know, something like Mekhet: Keep watching, what you've been looking for is almost here. Offer to broke treaties with the fake clans if anyone bites.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Make one newsletter where it's just Rot13 text of the Book of Nod. Offer (fake) Noddist lore to curious camarillians and when the prince gets cranky say a higher up asked you to sew disinformation amongst the curious to dissuade anyone discovering Horrible Truths.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Digital Osmosis posted:

throw in a nVampire horoscope to confused everyone and pretend your character has some secret knowledge of whole non-existent clans. You know, something like Mekhet: Keep watching, what you've been looking for is almost here. Offer to broke treaties with the fake clans if anyone bites.

Mekhet: After a long hard road, you have arrived here. Things will be very different from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This reminds me (in a good way) of the Rumours thread we used to have on RPG.net. Someone put them all into a pdf:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ls4xd2jn5bf5pj/World_of_Darkness_Rumors.pdf/file

Some good stuff in there.