Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

If someone else in the game wants to take blue, I will very obnoxiously tell them I will spend the entire game moving their pieces as if they were mine.

Blue is mine. If no blue, the nearest thing to blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Someone help me think of good games older than like 4 years old worth roughly $60 USD. I am trying to trade Mare Nostrum Empires + Atlas, but my wants are too selective even before sending out messages on BGG.

Alternatively, if someone here wants it, let's work out something.

Have you considered doing a math trade? That way it doesn't need to be a 1 to 1 exchange.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Anyone who gets mad about not getting their favorite color of pieces is not someone I'd want to play with. Who gives a poo poo. Best color is indeed green though.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep

ketchup vs catsup posted:

If someone else in the game wants to take blue, I will very obnoxiously tell them I will spend the entire game moving their pieces as if they were mine.

Blue is mine. If no blue, the nearest thing to blue.

This is me. Even when I choose to play other colors myself, which rarely happens, I will still move the blue and complain to them that it's their fault.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Whenever I play Libertalia I always explain that choosing your ship is the most important part of the game.

(Queen’s Fancy 4 lyfe)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

pospysyl posted:

Have you considered doing a math trade? That way it doesn't need to be a 1 to 1 exchange.

I throw it in, but it hasn't moved in the last 2. Good news is that I somehow got an immediate bite after a few months of messages so I get to move it. Hooray!

Aramoro posted:

Games which total $60 or $60 each?

Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Cyclades
Isle of Skye
Lewis and Clark

?

They're all good and 4 years or so old I think.

First I've seen anyone suggest Lewis and Clark. I know it's highly rated, but found it interesting that I've not heard anyone talk about it .

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Shadow225 posted:

I throw it in, but it hasn't moved in the last 2. Good news is that I somehow got an immediate bite after a few months of messages so I get to move it. Hooray!

First I've seen anyone suggest Lewis and Clark. I know it's highly rated, but found it interesting that I've not heard anyone talk about it .

Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Cyclades
Isle of Skye

Love all these games. Cyclades is a great Dudes On A Map game but might make people cry if you have sensitive souls.

Speaking of Isle of Skye, has anyone played the expansions and can weigh in on what they think of them?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

I quite like Lewis and Clark, its a bit of an odd cookie. Kinda Hand Management, kinda worker placement. The mechanic is really novel I think, of the dozen and dozens of games we've got it stands out and different which gets points for me. Main downside is that there's no real way to come back in it, once you mess up it can stay messed up for ages as you try to work out a way to cross mountains or whatever. There's lots of workable strategies as well as to how you're going to do it which is nice.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

bobvonunheil posted:

How do you work out who gets which modulus??

My group sets the game owner as 0 and we go clockwise from there.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My intimate game group has 4 colorblind players. We all prefer yellow. It's a bloodbath.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Eschatos posted:

Anyone who gets mad about not getting their favorite color of pieces is not someone I'd want to play with. Who gives a poo poo. Best color is indeed green though.

Exactly fellow green liker, that’s why y’all need an ordered list so you can easily compromise/take the next best color

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A guide to teaching board game rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqDyBCJcM9w

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Purple or pink all the way.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Pink
Black/White/Wood

Every other color except yellow

Yellow.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Real pros use the bunny meeples from Dixit no matter the game- color is irrelevant.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spiggy posted:

Real pros use the bunny meeples from Dixit no matter the game- color is irrelevant.

My 5 year old nephew is obsessed by the Dixit bunnies, as we should all be.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I use whatever color my wife hand me. Then I promptly forget what color that is for the next 15 minutes and have to constantly look at my board/other pieces to remind myself.

It doesn't matter what color I am, this is a ingrained flaw with me.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Cyan, blue, red, green, black, yellow, white, orange, purple. I'll deviate from the list if the other players are playing predominantly warm or cool colors to pick the one opposite those. Won't pick red/yellow if the other is yellow/red. Same for green/purple and purple/orange.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Through the Desert camels are the pinnacle of board game components and color choices.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

My intimate game group has 4 colorblind players. We all prefer yellow. It's a bloodbath.

How can you tell? It might be a snotpath.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Purple, orange, light blue, dark blue, pink, everything else.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

How can you tell? It might be a snotpath.

EnChromas 😎

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Through the Desert camels are the pinnacle of board game components and color choices.

Are they better than the camel up camels?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Are they better than the camel up camels?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Imagine if SR or Agra had as many beautiful components :allears:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Imagine if SR or Agra had as many beautiful components :allears:

SR's trains are the best minis out there next to my beloved Kemet beetle

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I pick whatever color best blends into the board, so I can fly under the radar if winning. Or if I lost the last game, I choose the previous winner's color, in order to hamper their cognitive power.

Every decision is a strategic decision!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

1. Green
2. Black
3. Whatever

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

I pick whatever color best blends into the board, so I can fly under the radar if winning. Or if I lost the last game, I choose the previous winner's color, in order to hamper their cognitive power.

Every decision is a strategic decision!

This is legit the reason I don't pick red. It always stands out.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hey, any of you tried Black Angel? I find the gameplay concept intriguing but I'm worried it'll be really fiddly. What's it like to actually play?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i like whichever earth tones the game has, so brown, green, etc. if i cant get an earth tone that game is going in the dumpster. sorry but thats just the rules.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is so accurate that I had to shut it down because my skin was crawling.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Played more food chain magnate and automobile. Included the new milestones with FCM; the group is impressed by the changes. Full table of 5 with 1100 reserve only took ~2,2.5h. The easy marketing plan was chosen by all, followed by RG (so it’s like the turbo boosted RG trainer opener) and later the more open choices. That may have contributed to the much faster clock but we all agreed that the game gets tot he more interesting parts of FCM rather quickly. I think there’s even less of a chance now for the game to hit the boring race to the bottom pricing wars, but my group usually never had that happen anyway. Different drink layouts make the game more exciting. The much improved extra housing is much more powerful which also contributes to the speed. With the extra money floating around from marketing, the game has the ability to support more early salaried positions so you have more restaurant counterplay and housing placements. In our game, all but 2 of the extra houses were placed with wild marketing ploys to get them all satisfied.

Automobile continues to get better and better. Latest game had close scores with only 150 differential between first and last, with 30/20 separating the first 3. Still continue to enjoy the tactical play afforded by the amount of rushing involved, and with a full table of people who aren’t afraid to risk a few cars being unsold, the game sings.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lol if ur not playing historical with color tied to player

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So, I’m off on holiday soon with a bunch (five of us) of friends that enjoy board games. We’re already taking Deep Sea Adventure, Space Alert, Carcassone, 7 wonders and maybe a couple of others. What else should we be taking? I’ve checked out the op, and just wondered what op worthy stuff has come out in the past two years

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I was going to say Decrypto but you have an odd number. How about some roll and writes like Welcome To, that's good or Picassimo a game you can play drunk on holiday.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
For a holiday trip I would suggest Gloomhaven but it only plays up to 4 so 2 copies of Gloomhaven.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mr. Squishy posted:

For a holiday trip I would suggest Gloomhaven but it only plays up to 4 so 2 copies of Gloomhaven.

I am pretty sure we'll always have one of us feeling antisocial, so maybe just one copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

tarbrush posted:

So, I’m off on holiday soon with a bunch (five of us) of friends that enjoy board games. We’re already taking Deep Sea Adventure, Space Alert, Carcassone, 7 wonders and maybe a couple of others. What else should we be taking? I’ve checked out the op, and just wondered what op worthy stuff has come out in the past two years

Container, John company, sidereal confluence, pax Pamir.