Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oil will be self-powering once you get it running. I forget the exact math, but it's something like one oil pump (on a pure node) can run 3 oil refineries, which will produce enough fuel to power something like 18 gas generators. Or one gas generator (which is more than enough to power the pump and a refinery) and a bunch of crude oil to ship somewhere else.

As for getting it running, you can't manually dig oil out of the ground like you can for minerals, so you'll need to bring the supplies for a biofuel generator to get the initial pump going.

You can produce so much electricity with a oil node, though, that you might want to consider running power out there eventually anyway. Once you get to the train stage, this is very easy, because you can run a track out to the oil node (traintrack is shockingly cheap) and this will also provide a power connection. Plus, easy way to transport the crude oil elsewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

No, I get all that. The issue is I don't have the tech yet, and I need a substantial amount of oil to reach that tech.

So I need to rely on coal for now, but I'm not sure whether to truck it from my base to a coal generator at the pump, or just chain a massive power line from my base to the pump.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I don't think you'll regret stretching out a 2km power line.

I think belts across the world are silly. Goods should be trucked. But power lines across the world to keep everything in one power network make things a lot easier in the end, in my experience.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, I misunderstood, sorry. Yeah, power lines are easier, at least until you can get train-tracks, which is still a ways off for you.

The other bonus is that if you find a crashed ship halfway there that needs power, you've got everything you need.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Bug Squash posted:

I'm setting up my first oil outpost, about 2km away from my base. I don't have the tech for oil power yet, so I'm wondering how to power it.

Nearest coal is 1k away, so my options are a dedicated truck system for coal, or stretch power lines through 2km of coastline. Which is the least stupid system until I can get that sweet oil power?

Why not just build your plants at the coal that's 1km away? Then you only need to run 1km of power line instead of 2km. When you need to add more power, you just have to walk 1km away instead of 2 and you now have more total net power. Eventually the power will be linked via train track but there's not much point in linking the grids now. Refineries and pumps are power hungry, you probably need the additional power anyway.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Bobulus posted:

As for getting it running, you can't manually dig oil out of the ground like you can for minerals, so you'll need to bring the supplies for a biofuel generator to get the initial pump going.

You can harvest some crude oil by chainsaw in the jungle, but I don't know if it's enough to bootstrap a power plant.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Phssthpok posted:

You can harvest some crude oil by chainsaw in the jungle, but I don't know if it's enough to bootstrap a power plant.

I got enough to make 50 computers when I didnt feel like setting up oil production

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Why not just build your plants at the coal that's 1km away? Then you only need to run 1km of power line instead of 2km. When you need to add more power, you just have to walk 1km away instead of 2 and you now have more total net power. Eventually the power will be linked via train track but there's not much point in linking the grids now. Refineries and pumps are power hungry, you probably need the additional power anyway.

Hadn't considered that, that's a pretty solid idea. Can't for the life of me think why I got fixated on bringing coal to the pump.

Strictly speaking it's a bit more work as I'll have to trek into the jungle, but that sounds fun enough I'm looking forward to it. Got my chainsaw fueled up, and my pockets full of concrete.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I haven’t bought this game yet but from all the YouTube videos I’ve watched of this game, I wish they’d add another level of jetpack to the endgame, maybe called “antigravity pack” or something that would let you effectively act as a massless floating camera and be able to zip around in a straight line at a uniform speed in any direction and freely hover in the air in the same way noclip cheats usually let the player behave, etc.

Make it burn some random fuel source at a very slow rate like several minutes per unit or something, then allow the player to carry hundreds of those units at a time.

It just seems like once the game gets advanced enough, there should be a way for the player to kind of transcend the limitations of gravity and having to manage and protect an avatar, and instead fully exploit the 3D nature of the game without having to put up with the downsides.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That would be nice, but they also haven't finished releasing all the unlockable tiers of tech. That might be something that get released with a future tier (there's some speculation about anti-matter, for example)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think full 3D freedom like that would gel with the exploration side of the game. But I could see building some sort of drone that you could control freely, that is tethered within range of towers you build, and allows you to construct/deconstruct but perhaps not interact directly with pods or enemies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They could find some way that it only works in your base.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I started a new game to try out this update. Got basics automated then beelined the chainsaw to keep the power on. What next? Just follow the tiers or is there a good video series?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Get a few hard drives and savescum some good recipes - iron ingot (that uses copper ore) and iron wire will completely rearrange your production line. Then follow the tiers and unlocks. I think when I play 'for real' I won't hand-craft so much of that crap, but the incentive is so weak compared to Factorio. It's just simpler to handcraft even with having to weigh down the spacebar.

So while you're out tracking down the easier to open crash sites, pick up the glow worms to speed up production, and use it on mines first and maybe whatever is processing the raw ore. Also, power plants.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Automate enough to build the Space Elevator, and then to fulfill the first delivery. Unlock Tier 3 for coal power.
Always beeline for coal unless you really love the chainsaw and refilling biomass generators.

Duodecimal posted:

Get a few hard drives and savescum some good recipes - iron ingot (that uses copper ore) and iron wire will completely rearrange your production line.

Remember the iron ingot (iron ore + copper ore) alt recipe isn't usable until you unlock the Foundry with Steel, on tier 3. (Or is it 4?)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 30, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Ah, drat. I had hoarded hard drives until around tier 5 or so before I cared enough to start breaking them open.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Duodecimal posted:

Ah, drat. I had hoarded hard drives until around tier 5 or so before I cared enough to start breaking them open.

I've definitely found alternate recipes for parts I couldn't even make yet, so you lose nothing by analyzing them anytime you don't have something new or important to analyze.

But at the same time they all represent rolls on the loot table of alt recipes so you haven't lost anything with your approach.

There's even a case to be made for running them all at once before you undertake to rework all of your production around the current final tier of released content, so you can slam alt recipes into fresh builds instead of changing things peicemeal.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My current strategy has been to build an initial haphazard production line for the initial products, just enough to tier up, then go exploring and harddrive-hunting, then come back and slowly build improved construction lines with better miners and better recipes. I can tear down the early construction lines at this time and build some prettier lines that fit better into my eventual factory layout.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Ok, crash sites, I think I saw one of those before and just looted what was lying around and left again.

How do you handle power distribution? I'm running one set of poles as a backbone connecting generators with the grid then another set next to them as 'leaf' nodes that supply machines. Are there better poles later?

And is there a way to clear terrain? I have trouble visualising the factory in my head when I have to build over hills and valleys.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ratzap posted:

Ok, crash sites, I think I saw one of those before and just looted what was lying around and left again.

How do you handle power distribution? I'm running one set of poles as a backbone connecting generators with the grid then another set next to them as 'leaf' nodes that supply machines. Are there better poles later?

And is there a way to clear terrain? I have trouble visualising the factory in my head when I have to build over hills and valleys.

Some chunk of the wreckage lying around such a crash site, in most cases, can be interacted with. When hooked up to power, you can open the hatch and retrieve whatever is inside, frequently a hard drive which when analyzed at your HUB will give you a choice between three alternative recipes for parts, which take at least one different input and also tend to produce more pieces per minute.

That is as good an approach as any, and yes, once you manually mine and analyze a material which you don't get a scanner option for until you complete the analysis, you get the option to smelt that poo poo into ingots and then use it for various purposes including mkII power poles which have up to 7 connections. The name of the material is Caterium.

And sort of; you get the ability to build explosive charges which will destroy specific things and let you build where they were; frequently these are boulders blocking resource nodes. There is no actual terraforming as of yet, and the best approach to a pleasingly-level factory built on a regular grid is to build an elevated platform of Foundation tiles.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Concrete is cheap. Pave the world in foundations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Thanks you two, I built a concrete line and over time I can transform the place factorio style in a pleasing grey.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Progress video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urT0gI_cP04

Summary:
- Please use the QA site for bug reports and quality-of-life feature requests, it's a great help for everyone.
- The next major update (update 3) is planned for December.
- Want to add either official mod support or dedicated server support in update 3, there's a poll attached to the video.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Seems a bit early in the development process to introduce the wildcard of modding, but maybe they're closer to release than I had thought, with 1-2 more content releases after December and then bug swatting/polish.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'd rather say it's late for either. Both modding and dedicated server support should be seen as underpinnings of the game core, not add-ons. The entire base game should be built using the same techniques, data formats and plugins as a third party mod would be, and the game engine should be structured so even singleplayer is client-server structured.
I suppose he Unreal engine does do most or all of the "core game is a mod" stuff already, but it probably still depends on how the developers are structuring their content. Deep client-server structuring is more likely to be troublesome, especially in physics-heavy games.
Either way, both "features" can be seen as software patterns that, given some additional up-front investment right from initial development, pay dividends in stability and flexibility.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dedicated servers or bust. I can get by without mods, but having to wait for a friend to log on and be bound by his schedule to play a shared world is bogus.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

nielsm posted:

I'd rather say it's late for either. Both modding and dedicated server support should be seen as underpinnings of the game core, not add-ons. The entire base game should be built using the same techniques, data formats and plugins as a third party mod would be, and the game engine should be structured so even singleplayer is client-server structured.
I suppose he Unreal engine does do most or all of the "core game is a mod" stuff already, but it probably still depends on how the developers are structuring their content. Deep client-server structuring is more likely to be troublesome, especially in physics-heavy games.
Either way, both "features" can be seen as software patterns that, given some additional up-front investment right from initial development, pay dividends in stability and flexibility.

The game engine is structured so even singleplayer is client-server structured.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Jamsque posted:

The game engine is structured so even singleplayer is client-server structured.

It's why (somewhat annoylingly, early on,) the game prevents you from pausing so you can prevent your biomass genies from going dry.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Does anyone have any advice for factory planning, capacity and layout?
I have a lot of trouble negotiating the landscape with my factory and making everything neat and tidy. It’s always messy spaghetti and fitting buildings where I can.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My advice is to embrace the spaghetti.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Build your machines in a nice, soothing, regular grid.

Then obliterate those aesthetics with a rat's nest mess of material feeds!

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
My advice is busses and compartmentalisation. Have a single, replicable floor plan for every component you want to make, add another floor when you need more production, bus around needed components using a single centralised bus that goes around your entire factory with one type of resource per level. Bus design can be whatever you want, I do it with separate levels on stackable poles, so I add an extra vertical layer for each resource I need to bus around. Some components I don't bus, and integrate into factory layouts in stead, like screws, for instance, since bussing around the steel beams or iron rods allows for more throughput per bus conveyor. You can add splitters by aiming the cursor at the conveyor where you want to pull resources from the bus.

I desparately want programmable logic, so I can have a generalized bus and just have my factories request the resources they need as they run dry.

Joda fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 1, 2019

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The bus strategy works great until you get something like wire / gold wire / screws that your factory complex needs more of than will be supplied by a maximum speed belt.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

That doesn't invalidate the bus concept. You don't have to put every single intermediate on the bus. Consider the screw producers and screw consumers as a single construction unit and build them next to each other.

Also, if you need more than one belt to handle a material, build more than one belt. The concept doesn't restrict the number of belts you can build.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I produce Iron Wire and Caterium Wire on site. Use alternate recipes to eliminate screws entirely from your production line. It's a lot easier to bus ingots and convert them on-site than bussing all that wire.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I've paved over my start space, rebuilt everything in a semi orderly fashion on the foundations and automated everything except frames. Feeding 5 bio power plants is fairly time intensive so I got coal unlocked.

I started building a second floor but I've a question: does it need walls per X meters to avoid falling down? Or will it ignore reality once I get it laid down?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gravity is no match for Ficsit Corp structures.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ratzap posted:

I've paved over my start space, rebuilt everything in a semi orderly fashion on the foundations and automated everything except frames. Feeding 5 bio power plants is fairly time intensive so I got coal unlocked.

I started building a second floor but I've a question: does it need walls per X meters to avoid falling down? Or will it ignore reality once I get it laid down?

Ficsit foundations are quantum locked to the planetary reference frame.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The second floor of my factory is held up entirely by one column of sheet metal walls. Oil receiving and processing is across a gulch, and it's supported entirely by clipping into a cliff wall.

The ability to, say, put up a 4-5 column wide wall section and tile it, or set up two boundary columns and flood-fill the space between is needed for me to get up the motivation to actually finish structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hope the finished product will have quality of life tools like "auto-roof" that flood fills 8x8x1's. A flood paint tool which works on all connected walls with one click. And an upgrade tool that recursively upgrades connected belts. Obviously large scale copy/paste would be really useful too.

Also I hope they change it so you can continue sprinting while using the color gun.