Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Oh man i had forgotten about cyberdemon's dreamy buttocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Duck and Cover posted:

It's about making games for people who previously might not have played games. Healers exist in these games not because they make for a better game but because they allow someone to contribute without having much skill.

I felt at launch it was almost too many barriers/heals/escapes. They then continued to add barriers/heals/escapes. It sucks since Overwatch pretty hogged all the players so other better games failed to really become a thing.

Thing is that idea is garbage because it means covering everyone in pads to make sure no one gets their feelings hurt. TF2 and Splatoon make death barely matter by design so you can learn from your mistakes and also make people feel good at the game when they wipe out most of the enemy team on a lucky streak, who barely have time to finish fuming before they're back in the fray.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My friends and I used to like playing UT2k4 instagib deathmatch, the coolest feeling was when you get sandwiched by two people shooting at you and you end up taking them both out. Or when you walk into a room with a big fight going on and you just kill everybody. Overwatch doesn't offer that kind of feeling, it all feels mushy and like it doesn't matter

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Not everyone wants to play a damage dealer who beelines at the enemy team. Overwatch offers some alternatives to that. Some people want to sit back and snipe, some people want to focus on team efforts and heal the other dudes and some people want to be huge cockblockers and slam a shield in your face

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

Not everyone wants to play a damage dealer who beelines at the enemy team. Overwatch offers some alternatives to that. Some people want to sit back and snipe, some people want to focus on team efforts and heal the other dudes and some people want to be huge cockblockers and slam a shield in your face

These people are terrible.

My unpopular opinion is that sniping is the worst, most unfun for everyone else mechanic that has ever made it into competitive shooters, developers know it but are too afraid of the outcry from the legion of xXxMLGProSnypahxXxs out there to omit it from games.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Shibawanko posted:

My friends and I used to like playing UT2k4 instagib deathmatch, the coolest feeling was when you get sandwiched by two people shooting at you and you end up taking them both out. Or when you walk into a room with a big fight going on and you just kill everybody. Overwatch doesn't offer that kind of feeling, it all feels mushy and like it doesn't matter

Role-based shooters are not the same experience as straight up deathmatch play. There's nothing wrong with having a dispreference for it (digression; this computer did not have 'dispreference' in the loving spellcheck dictionary, what the hell is this world coming to), but it doesn't delegitimize (had to add this one too) a role-based shooter's playstyle.

I would personally say I felt it was good that role-based, teamwork-required shooters rising to popularity would be a generally good thing, except they also roil with that society-gangrenous 'toxic' type of player, that every form of competitive, high-visibility shooter gets.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Doom Rooster posted:

My unpopular opinion is that sniping is the worst, most unfun for everyone else mechanic that has ever made it into competitive shooters, developers know it but are too afraid of the outcry from the legion of xXxMLGProSnypahxXxs out there to omit it from games.

lol i remember a few teamfortress servers would kick you if you dared to disrupt the 2fort sniper dickwaving contest

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sniper in Team Fortress 2 was good because it had a dedicated counter in the spy

So if there was even one moderately competent spy on the enemy team you constantly lived in terror as a sniper

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zzulu posted:

Sniper in Team Fortress 2 was good because it had a dedicated counter in the spy

So if there was even one moderately competent spy on the enemy team you constantly lived in terror as a sniper

Instead you get 2-6 incredibly incompetent spies on your team

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

Some people want to sit back and snipe

back in the Quake days we called these people dirty dishonorable campers :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

I loved watching overwatch league and learning the only counter to the sniper character was hoping your sniper character was better.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Rutibex posted:

back in the Quake days we called these people dirty dishonorable campers :colbert:

This has fallen out of style? Man I feel old now.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Instead you get 2-6 incredibly incompetent spies on your team

im the medic running into my own intel room

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

5er posted:

This has fallen out of style? Man I feel old now.

People aren't playing deathmatch in cleared-out single player levels with single-player-focused weapon spawn points anymore.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Barudak posted:

I loved watching overwatch league and learning the only counter to the sniper character was hoping your sniper character was better.

It is funny how Blizzard basically reversed the like, 20 years of nerfing snipers by every other game developer trying to design multiplayer shooters by giving them a wallhack, a grappling hook, perfect accuracy while flying through the air after using the hook, a mine that warns the sniper when it's been triggered and also the sniper rifle doubles as a close defense weapon SMG.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

Quake 3 tried to 'solve' this by making you need to get the power ups.
Sure you could camp, but your enemy would be able to absorb 3 shots with a railgun if armored/healthed up, while your rear end only needed 1 to take down.

Man I miss Q3.
Quake Champions is poo poo.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is that idea is garbage because it means covering everyone in pads to make sure no one gets their feelings hurt. TF2 and Splatoon make death barely matter by design so you can learn from your mistakes and also make people feel good at the game when they wipe out most of the enemy team on a lucky streak, who barely have time to finish fuming before they're back in the fray.

It makes for worse games but it seems to work.

Best sniper Unreal Tournament original flavored. No nerfed translocator, no lightning gun.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 30, 2019

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

happyhippy posted:

Quake 3 tried to 'solve' this by making you need to get the power ups.
Sure you could camp, but your enemy would be able to absorb 3 shots with a railgun if armored/healthed up, while your rear end only needed 1 to take down.

Man I miss Q3.
Quake Champions is poo poo.

it's still around, man

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The sniper rifle is the worst weapon to ever grace multiplayer fps games. It's a simple (if difficult) skill check that removes almost every other aspect of an fps. Some guy saw 2 pixels of your head for less than a second from across the map? Dead. UT99 showcased this to is logical conclusion with both an insanely OP rifle and bots who could auto-adjust their difficulty (ie, aim) to be, err, literal bots with it.

There are guys out there who are very skilled at the task of clicking on opponent's heads, but I'm sorry the purely mechanical skill of aim, while totally a necessary & good differentiator, should not have such boundless returns that it can become a trump card.

I played a fps game called Natural Selection 2 semi-seriously, and whenever you'd get a professional playing (typically a CS guy) dropping into the casual pugs he'd be a devastating force... but ultimately killable because of the nature of the game.

unpopular opinion: Headshots have done more harm than good for fps games.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zzulu posted:

The "huge cockblockers slamming a shield in your face" is problematic because enemies that are just useless sacks of hitpoints are normally considered emblems of poor game design. The large numbers of ways to avoid or mitigate damage make for a worse experience overall; they make the game less fun and more toxic.

The other stuff (healing, different ways of dealing damage, team-boosting) are good and not what people are complaining about.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Any game that expects you to play the same scenario on the same map over and over and over thousands of times over a period of years is implicitly a shitfest

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

The "huge cockblockers slamming a shield in your face" is problematic because enemies that are just useless sacks of hitpoints are normally considered emblems of poor game design. The large numbers of ways to avoid or mitigate damage make for a worse experience overall; they make the game less fun and more toxic.

The other stuff (healing, different ways of dealing damage, team-boosting) are good and not what people are complaining about.

Actually I view healing as bad too. It's not that the idea is so terrible it's that to get people to play healers, designers tend to make them overpowered and thus a requirement. "OMG pick a healer!" "No gently caress you." While I realize the team could use a healer, I sure as gently caress am not going to play it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i think there is plenty of room in this world for many kinds of fps, including colorful oversaturated anime booty nonsense like overwatch

i also think it is fuckin' nuts that overwatch is one of the biggest esports around, because it is not good

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The only thing that can possibly matter less than sports is esports.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Professional chess

Barudak
May 7, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Spelling Bees are televised.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Professional Cornhole

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

doctorfrog posted:

you're forgetting bitching about sports and esports

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Actually I view healing as bad too. It's not that the idea is so terrible it's that to get people to play healers, designers tend to make them overpowered and thus a requirement. "OMG pick a healer!" "No gently caress you." While I realize the team could use a healer, I sure as gently caress am not going to play it.

I think this still goes back to turning people into damage sponges. The best-designed healing classes are only good at healing between battles, not during them. In OG TF2, the medic's healing was inconvenient but didn't truly create damage sponges until they hit their ubercharge, which was the bad design element there. A Heavy getting healed by 3 medics is still going to get his rear end blown up without that ubercharge.

But then flip that around with the kritzkrieg. Now enemies were no longer invulnerable, they just dealt way more damage. That was way more fun to play against; the healing rate was small enough to not turn enemies into damage sponges, and damage-boosted enemies still die just as easily.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Esports is fine but I wish they wouldn't cover it like sports. You all look uncomfortable in your blazers! Also for fucks sake stop saying nothing. Like I get it you have to say something and there's only so much to say but god drat. So much wasted time and JUST SHOW THE GAME SHUTUP SHUTUP SHUTUP. Seriously fire every "flavor" announcer especially those who clearly don't actually play the game (like not just don't play the game at a high level which is nice but not necessary but literally could be announcing anything). Also for fucks sake if your going to have a guy say racist poo poo and be bad maybe don't keep having him be one of your anouncers? Eh? Nah Tobiwan is great he's the best.

Oh yeah and a game being good is kind of unimportant to becoming an esport.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 31, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

They should use pro chess voiceovers, like old men with dry smoker's voices, for esports

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Overwatch was fantastic fun during its free weekend when no-one had a clue what was going on

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol i just got an email from blizzard that says bungie is moving Destiny 2 to a non-b.net platform

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Real unpopular opinion: Battleborn's MOBA multiplayer mode was always better than Overwatch. That said, 75% of the character designs in BB were awful, and its monetization was hasty and gross.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

I think this still goes back to turning people into damage sponges. The best-designed healing classes are only good at healing between battles, not during them. In OG TF2, the medic's healing was inconvenient but didn't truly create damage sponges until they hit their ubercharge, which was the bad design element there. A Heavy getting healed by 3 medics is still going to get his rear end blown up without that ubercharge.

But then flip that around with the kritzkrieg. Now enemies were no longer invulnerable, they just dealt way more damage. That was way more fun to play against; the healing rate was small enough to not turn enemies into damage sponges, and damage-boosted enemies still die just as easily.

The whole point of Overcharge though is meant to be a stalemate breaker, to prevent a couple of well placed sentries from completely locking out opposition and a way to smash through choke points.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Plan Z posted:

Real unpopular opinion: Battleborn's MOBA multiplayer mode was always better than Overwatch. That said, 75% of the character designs in BB were awful, and its monetization was hasty and gross.

I been saying this from day one. Battleborn also didnt know to not randomly go too adult.

MrQwerty posted:

Lol i just got an email from blizzard that says bungie is moving Destiny 2 to a non-b.net platform

They sold out to Tencent a while ago, yeah

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole point of Overcharge though is meant to be a stalemate breaker, to prevent a couple of well placed sentries from completely locking out opposition and a way to smash through choke points.

Good intentions, but still not fun to play against. The kritzkrieg I think is the better implementation of a stalemate breaker

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Eh, uber charge was fine. It didnt last long and could only be deployed a couple of times in a match, if you didn't just kill the medic before it charged. And it was just as satisfying to shoot up a medic and laugh as they blew it early as it was to get/use your own and watch everyone scatter in terror from your majestic red/blueness.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The smart and hilarious way to counterplay Ubercharge is to retreat and maybe wheel around to let them inevitably overextend while not actually killing you and then wipe them out as soon as it wears off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

food court bailiff posted:

i think there is plenty of room in this world for many kinds of fps, including colorful oversaturated anime booty nonsense like overwatch

i also think it is fuckin' nuts that overwatch is one of the biggest esports around, because it is not good

tf2 was just born too early even though it's a better competitive game.