Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ruggan posted:

I spent all day updating two of our internal websites dependencies and rewriting all the react class components to function components with hooks. Still not quite done - need to test and expect to find some issues. But I’ll be happy when it’s done.

I don't quite understand: are you happy that you're doing this? Not happy, but consider this part of your job? Or are you actually loving hate it to the bone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You guys know you don't have to update your classes to function components right? I've been doing it on an as-needed basis when I want to add custom hooks to an existing class component.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Volguus posted:

I don't quite understand: are you happy that you're doing this? Not happy, but consider this part of your job? Or are you actually loving hate it to the bone?

Haha. I’m happy I’m doing it. Nobody is forcing me to. I like function components and hooks, and it’s good practice.

I do know I don’t need to update them. I’m doing it because it makes future development easier and more enjoyable (for me). It’s basically my 20% refactor and codebase maintenance time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Volguus posted:

"I'll be happy when it's done" typically means it is a chore you do not wish to be doing and you will not be happy until it is complete.

edit: ^^ hmm, well ok.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Thermopyle posted:

"I'll be happy when it's done" typically means it is a chore you do not wish to be doing and you will not be happy until it is complete.

Poor phrasing on my part I guess. Although it does verge on chore, I think it’s better to do it and keep up to date.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Newbie seeking assistance. I'm just seeing if I can actually follow this video and see if I get the same outcome.

He starts with a boilerplate template, selected Core and Angular. I got the Core w/ React template running, but I want to test this one too.

I set up my DB, got the Host running, Angular "npm install" succeeded, npm audit fix, but then npm start gives the following:

code:
ERROR in ../node_modules/ngx-bootstrap/timepicker/models/index.d.ts:2:38 - error TS2307: Cannot find module '@angular/forms/src/directives/control_value_accessor'.

2 import { ControlValueAccessor } from '@angular/forms/src/directives/control_value_accessor';
                                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../node_modules/ngx-bootstrap/timepicker/models/index.d.ts:3:22 - error TS2307: Cannot find module '@angular/core/src/type'.

3 import { Type } from '@angular/core/src/type';

I already installed Node.js to solve a similar error, but I can't figure this one out. Only Google result which seems relevant (indeed, exact error issue) says this:

google translate of http://www.codebye.com/abp-cannot-find-module-angularformssrcdirectivescontrol_value_accessor.html posted:

1. Expand the web project, find package.json and modify “ngx-bootstrap”: “^3.0.0”, “ngx-bootstrap”: “^4.3.0”,
2. Re-execute npm Start can be. The result shows: Compiled successfully.

but no dice, didn't work. I checked my ngx-bootstrap.metadata.json and it says it's version 4, so I tried "^4.0.0" as well but same error.

I'm just flailing, just doing this for fun :)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I do like converting classes to use hooks when I do it, I like the feeling of getting to reorganize and clarify things. Converting a bunch of lifecycle methods to a single useEffect is satisfying.

Upgrading deps and dealing with API changes is a chore though.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I've used hooks in 2 new projects already, overall I really like them, but I keep running into situations with `useEffect` where I have a bunch of dependencies and I need to keep track of exactly which one of them has changed, and I think the recommended way of handling it is with `useRef`, but it gets really verbose and ugly every time I do it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Could you potentially break it into multiple effects so that you don't just have one with a lot of dependencies?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Yeah, I do that also when it makes sense

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Newbie seeking assistance. I'm just seeing if I can actually follow this video and see if I get the same outcome.

He starts with a boilerplate template, selected Core and Angular.

I set up my DB, got the Host running, Angular "npm install" succeeded, npm audit fix, but then npm start gives the following:

<snip>

So turns out npm install grabbed minor versions of some packages which borked it. Killing node_modules folder and installing packages using yarn did it, per github recommendation!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I discovered hapi framework today as an alternative to express and I'm fairly happy with it. Kinda really wanted one that expects me to just use async functions in my controllers, which makes a lot of sense. I'm a bit mystified by the plugins system, which replaces express middleware. Some blogs are talking about how I should define my routes using plugins instead of just defining routes, when clearly I can just define routes.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Help me finish this sentence: If someone with a little bit of programming experience (the kind you'd get with an IS, not CS, degree) wanted to get into web design, I'd tell them to start with _____.

A friend of mine just graduated, he knows a little html and css but not a ton - would he be better off getting good at the basics, like just build some stuff from scratch, or would he benefit from getting familiar with some of the more common platforms like Wordpress or Squarespace (I'm just pulling those out of the air, I have no idea if they're good starting points) first? I'm a piss-poor mentor but I'm trying to at least point the guy in the right direction.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 3, 2019

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

jackpot posted:

Help me finish this sentence: If someone with a little bit of programming experience (the kind you'd get with an IS, not CS, degree) wanted to get into web design, I'd tell them to start with _____.

A friend of mine just graduated, he knows a little html and css but not a ton - would he be better off getting good at the basics, like just build some stuff from scratch, or would he benefit from getting familiar with some of the more common platforms like Wordpress or Squarespace (I'm just pulling those out of the air, I have no idea if they're good starting points) first? I'm a piss-poor mentor but I'm trying to at least point the guy in the right direction.

Web design or web development? If development, then if what they want is basic, square space or any other template service will be easiest for them, and can handle 90% of what most people want.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Null of Undefined posted:

Web design or web development? If development, then if what they want is basic, square space or any other template service will be easiest for them, and can handle 90% of what most people want.
He's leaning more toward web design than development - less code-heavy. Five or ten years ago there were plenty of positions for people who knew html/css, and I'm just not sure what the market's looking for these days, what's valuable.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The not quite a designer not quite a developer industry isn't exactly what it used to be considering how good websites like squarespace and wix have gotten. His best bet is probably to become very pro-efficient in Wordpress, and to figure out a way to turn out sites with relative ease using the same template.

That route is honestly more business then anything, because the hard part is negotiating contracts, building a client base, and being efficient with your time. Also it can get really painful if he isn't great at design and takes on any type of branding.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

From what I've seen if anyone wants html or css they just put a developer on it, nobody has an employee that knows strictly html/css I don't think. And then generally that dev work is a completely separate role from design work where some understanding of how a webpage flows is helpful but not a lot more than that.

Is web design still predominantly Photoshop or has a better tool come along.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Nolgthorn posted:

From what I've seen if anyone wants html or css they just put a developer on it, nobody has an employee that knows strictly html/css I don't think. And then generally that dev work is a completely separate role from design work where some understanding of how a webpage flows is helpful but not a lot more than that.

Is web design still predominantly Photoshop or has a better tool come along.

Everyone* uses Sketch now.

* not literally, obviously.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Web design and web development are both fields that are a lot harder to just fall into without some sort of formalized training or a degree these days. Ten years ago I would have said otherwise. If he has an IS degree he absolutely should not go the design route unless he has experience with (or at the very least a burning passion for) user experience and visual art. Front/backend web dev is likely more up his alley.

Most IS/CS/devs who try to design do a terrible job at it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

The Dave posted:

The not quite a designer not quite a developer industry isn't exactly what it used to be considering how good websites like squarespace and wix have gotten. His best bet is probably to become very pro-efficient in Wordpress, and to figure out a way to turn out sites with relative ease using the same template.
That's kinda what I told this guy, but I wasn't sure. Feels like it might be smart just to get good at making something, never mind how, and worry later about the nuts and bolts of it.

Also I feel like the school could've done a better job preparing him for all this, but maybe I just haven't asked the right questions.

Nolgthorn posted:

Yeah I think that's more commonly what I see: a developer who's tasked with front end almost as an afterthought. And so I get people who know their way around react or whatever but struggle with css. And so (understandably) they don't care much about design. It's less common today but a few years ago I saw it a lot.

Lumpy posted:

Everyone* uses Sketch Figma now.
:slick:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I am a small end web designer.

A good part of my prospects I come across my desk just can’t afford to have a website done professionally. Others need to have a baseline idea of the price because they honestly have no clue.

I wrote up a quiz (‘Who should make my website?’), had some people look it over, but I can’t find an easy to implement a solution where people take the quiz… And then get a certain result.
Google and Microsoft forms don’t give the recipient any information except that they completed the quiz, and that’s not useful.

(Ideally, the results will be emailed so that prospects could click a button and respond to me.)

This seems to be a specialized service that companies either charge for recurringly or brand the hell out of.

I want to implement it into my WordPress site, what do people suggest?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

jackpot posted:

And so I get people who know their way around react or whatever but struggle with css.

And that's why every drat tool in the world seems like it's built to circumvent CSS. It's even built into jsx these days, just put some CSS here don't worry it'll be totally isolated, what if I don't want it to be isolated because I know what cascading means? Too bad rear end in a top hat. Get your jsx in order before I slap you upside the head.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Nolgthorn posted:

And that's why every drat tool in the world seems like it's built to circumvent CSS. It's even built into jsx these days, just put some CSS here don't worry it'll be totally isolated, what if I don't want it to be isolated because I know what cascading means? Too bad rear end in a top hat. Get your jsx in order before I slap you upside the head.

That’s not at all built in to JSX.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

jackpot posted:

I'd say start a GitHub account, then do a bunch of tutorials with examples and commit everything so they have a bunch of stuff online. I'd recommend starting with HTML, then CSS, then JavaScript, then React. They want to have a strong base in the first three and show that they've at least dabbled in the fourth.

Start looking for entry level jobs asap. They will most likely learn more and learn it more quickly at a job (and get paid too). Having a couple standard "todo list" example type apps up on GitHub that he took from the tutorials may put him a bit ahead of other applicants with no real experience.

He should try listening to some of the dev podcasts out there like Syntax and Shoptalk so he becomes familiar and comfortable with the lingo.

But what do I know? I'm currently unemployed.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Nolgthorn posted:

Cascading was a mistake

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

NotWearingPants posted:

I'd say start a GitHub account, then do a bunch of tutorials with examples and commit everything so they have a bunch of stuff online. I'd recommend starting with HTML, then CSS, then JavaScript, then React. They want to have a strong base in the first three and show that they've at least dabbled in the fourth.

Start looking for entry level jobs asap. They will most likely learn more and learn it more quickly at a job (and get paid too). Having a couple standard "todo list" example type apps up on GitHub that he took from the tutorials may put him a bit ahead of other applicants with no real experience.

Do this. I just hired someone to do python coding as an engineering intern that is basically exactly this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

prom candy posted:

Cascading was a mistake

Empty quoting.

Cascading is the web's version of object inheritance instead of composition.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
failure is a constant of the universe, sucess is a flash of light in a room of eternal darkness

I like XML

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Uh oh folks, today I wrote a 5 line solution to generate a robots.txt instead of using a library. Am I gonna died?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Open source it so that I can make an issue that requests typescript definition files.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone familiar with Pocket, and making compatible content ? I can't find explicit guidelines anywhere.

I've tried making a simple page, hosting in and saving it to my articles. It appears in my collection but trying to access the content just redirects to the original page I'm hosting, whereas a random link like this one is "parsed" fine: it's available as a modified clean
content-heavy version.
I'd like my content to go through the same way and I'm not sure how this is achieved

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kedo posted:

Most IS/CS/devs who try to design do a terrible job at it.

To be fair, most of us know we aren't good at design, and really don't want to do it, but our clients often don't give a gently caress and can't be bothered to find someone who's actually decent, because they have absolutely no idea what makes these very vaguely related fields different from one another. It's basically, "there's some kind of words, and some kind of colours and a computer involved? Do it!"

I've literally told clients "I hate doing this, and I'm not very good it, please find someone else to do this part of the project" and I still end up tasked with everything from social media, to marketing, to print design, all of which I'm not skilled at, not trained for, and I loving hate doing all of the above, but they're willing to pay for it and for some reason would rather deal with me doing a half-assed job than finding someone competent. I don't understand it, least of all because I take forever to do things I hate doing, and also I charge a lot of money.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PT6A posted:

I've literally told clients "I hate doing this, and I'm not very good it, please find someone else to do this part of the project" and I still end up tasked with everything from social media, to marketing, to print design, all of which I'm not skilled at, not trained for, and I loving hate doing all of the above, but they're willing to pay for it and for some reason would rather deal with me doing a half-assed job than finding someone competent. I don't understand it, least of all because I take forever to do things I hate doing, and also I charge a lot of money.

Is this a situation where getting a half-assed job from fiverr or upwork would be useful?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Fool posted:

Is this a situation where getting a half-assed job from fiverr or upwork would be useful?

I don't know. Probably?

Upon further reflection, sometimes clients have taken my advice and found designers that are inexplicably even worse than me, and also a complete pain in the rear end for me to deal with all at the same time, so I'm not saying it's a foolproof plan.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Just try charging like 50-75% more for those services and if they still want to pay atleast it’s worth your headache.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PT6A posted:

I don't know. Probably?

From the way you described things, it sounds like your clients prefer working with you because you have a good professional relationship and they are reluctant to trust work to an unknown quantity, which you just admitted can sometimes be even worse that what you would have done yourself.

It may be possible to offload these jobs to a subcontractor when you get them. That way you don't have to do the work directly, and your client gets to keep a consistent point of contact that they trust.

And I'm not saying to hide this from the client either, just be upfront about not being 'up to your normally high standards' your own work would be and that you will retain a 'trusted' subcontractor to assist you.

However you would be trading off the burden of doing the work for the burden of managing the subcontractor.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, I'm not a designer at all. I mean, I can create ok interfaces using Bootstrap or whatever and reading/copying best practices. I don't really enjoy this part of the work.

My clients all know this and I make them aware that if they want something uniquely good they need to hire someone to do this part of the work, but 90% of the time they stick with me because I'm a known quantity. It's a lot of work and uncertainty for them (and me!) to hire someone else.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Finding designers you like to work with goes a long way. I'm bad at designing but I love implementing nice interfaces and working with (good) designers. Working with bad designers who never give any thought to how their designs might actually come to life in the browser is worse than having no designer though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I can definitely refer designers, depending on people‘s budgets, people who are absolutely fantastic but often undercharge. I don’t wanna do it as a blanket though because an unscreened referral is hardly a favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I pushed some minor changes to one of our customer-facing websites yesterday. This website is essentially a project management & task tracker for our clients - it isn't a core part of our business but supports groups who buy and need to implement our software. One of those changes involved adding a column to a CSV extract you can pull from the app's UI. We don't expose any sort of API endpoint, you need to get it from within the tool. I got a complaint this morning from one of our employees who is staffed to some organization that was "surprised" by the change. Apparently this organization is doing some scripting automation to pull down their data via the extract and post-process it. Adding this column broke their script.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable committing to support code-writing end-users, but it brought up a few questions that I'm interested in hearing from other folks on:

• Is versioning a web-app valuable, beyond marketing purposes? If yes, what versioning method do you use?
  • Is the code-writing end-user someone that is worth providing explicit support for even when we do not provide a public API?
  • What would you consider the public API of a website? (relevant article here)
  • What constitutes a major change, minor change, and patch to a website (applying the SemVer mental model)?
  • What sort of proactive communication do you feel is necessary for varying degrees of change?