Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
How's L5R doing? In a general sort of way, not necessarily competitively. Does it feel like the game still has a decent buzz around it?

Also, would a single core and the entire first cycle work for deck building?

Both of these questions stem from finding dynasty packs dirt cheap so I'm looking at grabbing a small set of the game and playing casually with friends who probably won't buy their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Been on FFG's euro championships for another game (X-Wing) this past few days and the L5R seemed as strong as AGOT or Destiny (Keyforge being pushed most intensely while Imperial Assault and Armada were kind of living out their last days).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lichtenstein posted:

Keyforge being pushed most intensely

How is a completely random deck a viable competitive format?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

How is a completely random deck a viable competitive format?

I mean, you either play Sealed or buy decks until you get something pretty strong.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Team Covenant is playing Marvel Champion's Ultron on Expert mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpkMSSXJLlc

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Big news about LotR LCG.

Tales from the Cards posted:

News from the FFG stream with Andrew Navaro:

* The "current iteration" of the game will end in mid-2020.
* There is not a second edition planned.
* After a break, there will be some type of new content for the game.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Is this just the tabletop version? Or is the digital LCG also being put on ice?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Just the tabletop version. Digital LCG is run by a seperate studio (fantasy flight interactive)

AGOT is also probably be put on ice.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It sounds like FFG is realizing why the rest of us did a long time ago: monthly cycles suck once you get past like the first two

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The type of new content thing sounds interesting. I wonder if it's something like just moving to the Arkham Horror style of campaign, or something entirely different.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
FFG just previewed the first hero pack, Captain America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erz_-YEar6I

• He's dope
  • Confirmed that he's Leadership
  • The unaccounted for 13 cards (the difference between 60 in a pack and the 47 needed to make a deck) will be a playset of other Aspect cards + Neural playset + Divider with Decklist
  • There will be reprints

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
And the FFG announcement article.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/9/10/stars-and-stripes/

Announcing the second pack before the core has dropped. Is this normal for FFG? I can't remember any more.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

That’s definitely normal. Happens all the time with Arkham expansion cycles.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I have two dozen playmats already but dang that Captain America mat looks sweet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
When is Marvel hitting shelves?

Also, thinking it's time to sell my Arkham since the wife said she wants to play this one now instead.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Current timeline, subject to the vagaries of FFG being FFG:

• October - Core
  • November - Green Goblin
  • December - Captain America
  • January - Ms. Marvel
  • February - Wrecking Crew

I will wager two donuts March is Thor.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think it'd make a lot more sense to have each pack be a hero and villain combo. It'll be weird buying a new hero and only being able to replay old content. I'll probably just buy them in twos for that reason.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

I think it'd make a lot more sense to have each pack be a hero and villain combo. It'll be weird buying a new hero and only being able to replay old content. I'll probably just buy them in twos for that reason.

The reasoning seems to be a desire to make the game more welcoming for casuals.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hey guys. Question came up for with friend for Game Of Thrones LCG.

For Mandon Moore
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php...don-moore-r1201

If you don’t have the cards in hand to satisfy the discard requirement do you have to kill a person, or can you choose the option to discard and because you have no cards you paid as much of a cost as you could and nothing happens?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

Hey guys. Question came up for with friend for Game Of Thrones LCG.

For Mandon Moore
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php...don-moore-r1201

If you don’t have the cards in hand to satisfy the discard requirement do you have to kill a person, or can you choose the option to discard and because you have no cards you paid as much of a cost as you could and nothing happens?

It's not choose. It's "Do X unless you do Y." Did your opponent choose and discard 2, not 3, not 1, not 0, but 2 cards from their hand? If yes, awesome. If no, then they choose and kill a character.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

It's not choose. It's "Do X unless you do Y." Did your opponent choose and discard 2, not 3, not 1, not 0, but 2 cards from their hand? If yes, awesome. If no, then they choose and kill a character.

Ok, thanks. Appreciate the clarification.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

Ok, thanks. Appreciate the clarification.

No problem, happy to help. Apologies for tone.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think that pretty consistent across FFG's games. If you have the option between two things and can't actually do one of them then you have to do the other.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So uh, Marvel Champions is apparently out! Anyone pick it up yet?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Jarvisi posted:

Still waiting for my copy, it's not out yet in Swedenland. Ever since the Asmodee merger, FFG releases are 0-8 weeks behind. So much fun :P

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jarvisi posted:

It was sold out locally, but I ordered a copy. I'm looking forward to it, the Team Covenant videos make it look really fun.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jarvisi posted:

I'm not in a hurry, so I tied my pre-order to the 1-4 player playmat which hasn't dropped yet. Hopefully before the end of the year.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Bought it. Played it with the wife over the weekend. Running organized play for my FLGS next Tuesday.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Bought as well, got in a couple games teaching people. It's good and I will likely get rid of Arkham and just play Marvel instead.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Bought it, but haven't had time to play with the physical version yet. The TTS version was good enough to give me hopes that it'll be a nice replacement for LoTR as that makes its way out the door.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Does it deserve a megathread?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
It is good. It is a FFG co-op LCG and if you have liked one of the previous games, and you like Marvel, you'll like this game.

The best part of the game has nothing to do with the game itself, but its distribution. One core set gives you a full playset of every player card. Not only that, but you can make the set mostly setup-free. The core set comes with 5 heroes and 3 villains. Of those, you can have 4 hero decks and all three villains built simultaneously. The only encounter 'packet' that needs to be shared between villains is 6 standard cards.

This is very cool to me. The worst part of Arkham and LotR are digging out a bunch of 2-7 card packets and mixing them together, then disassembling them afterward. It sucks, and it creates repetition. I'm sick of Arkham's rats and ancient evils. Marvel does away with this, mostly. You have the same 6 cards every game, but otherwise the whole decks are pretty much unique. There are still 'packets' you can mix and match to create diversity and increase difficulty, but I don't think I'll mess with that much. I don't know why I would want to give Ultron encounters from the Green Goblin. In the end, I grab a villain and those 6 cards, and I'm good to go.

Heroes are pretty much the same. I've got four out of five hero decks assembled. Players can just chose a hero they are interested in and grab a deck.

But my absolute favorite part is how they are handling the packs. They won't do the "half and half" approach like they have been doing for Arkham and LotR. Instead, they are releasing packs that are entirely a complete villain or a complete hero. So if I buy the Green Goblin deck, I think all I need to do is shuffle in the 6 standard cards and I'm good to go. Or if I buy the Captain America deck, I can simply shuffle it and play.

This means I can buy two Captain Americas and use the cards from that to fill out the fifth hero from the core-set. At that point, I will have every hero and villain completely set up and ready to play. Between matches, I can still get my deck building on by swapping cards between decks, but one way or another, every hero will be playable at anytime. I'm excited about maintaining this pool of decks.

This is amazing to me. There are a lot of investigators in Arkham I'm excited to try, but the time investment of building their decks and getting them ready is prohibitive. Marvel is like having a deck ready for each investigator at any time. When new cards are released, I can slot them into previous heroes where they make sense.

Hopefully they dont screw it up, but there is a lot of interesting design space for this game and I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I think it's kinda weird to knock Arkham for using sets over when you yourself say you'll have to keep dropping the same 6 cards into whichever enemy you play against. Outside of that, it really sounds a lot like Sentinels of the Multiverse where you pick your hero and the villain and that's basically it for customization.

All that said I'd still be willing to try it if it wasn't for the horrendous art. Usually that's one thing I've thought FFG usually has knocked out of the park but I thought Keyforge was really kinda meh and the Marvel game is just terrible. I'm not even opposed to comic art. I thought the old VS CCG looked fine, and the marvel dice game has decent cards for your teams-I've even defended Sentinels art. But this just looks...cheap? It just turns me off entirely. Which sucks cause otherwise this would probably be up my alley.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

alansmithee posted:

I think it's kinda weird to knock Arkham for using sets over when you yourself say you'll have to keep dropping the same 6 cards into whichever enemy you play against. Outside of that, it really sounds a lot like Sentinels of the Multiverse where you pick your hero and the villain and that's basically it for customization.

All that said I'd still be willing to try it if it wasn't for the horrendous art. Usually that's one thing I've thought FFG usually has knocked out of the park but I thought Keyforge was really kinda meh and the Marvel game is just terrible. I'm not even opposed to comic art. I thought the old VS CCG looked fine, and the marvel dice game has decent cards for your teams-I've even defended Sentinels art. But this just looks...cheap? It just turns me off entirely. Which sucks cause otherwise this would probably be up my alley.

Allegedly they are legally required to use the art that marvel gives them, so they don't have a choice for this

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'd be very curious to see what the contracts required. Because FFG is making some of their own art (the cards that have artist attribution), because those seem to be some of the worst offenders.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

alansmithee posted:

I may have underplayed the customization. As someone who hates Sentinels, this game is not Sentinels.

With the encounter deck, it is 6 out of 30 to 40 cards that will be in every game. They give you sets like MODOK who can be shuffled into villains to add difficulty and variety, and future sets will apparently have alternate scenarios you can use with the same villain, so each may have a few variants. Furthermore, you can swap sets between villains to make custom challenges, so you can have Ultron with Rhinos 'bomb scare' set or Klaw with Green Goblin's glider. Campaigns are coming, and I can see how this system can be used to create them. In Arkham, over half the deck can be reused sets, and other than the 'Return to' variants, they are pretty much static. In Marvel, if I am sick of Bomb Scares and don't want to play with them, I can swap them out for Hydra soldiers or something. If I'm sick of Ancient Evils in Arkham and it is in my next scenario on the campaign, I'm pretty much stuck. Arkham is one of my favorite games and ill still be collecting it, but it can be a hassle.

That being said, I personally don't plan on doing this much. I think giving Ultron pumpkin bombs is dumb. Though I like the idea of MODOK popping in from time to time. Maybe it will grow on me as the game develops.

Another cool source of encounter variations ties in with the heroes. Each hero has their own encounter card that is unique to them that gets mixed in, and their own packet of 'Nemesis' encounter cards that could be shuffled into the deck some games. At the moment, the only way these Nemesis cards are brought into play are via a card in the 6-card standard packet. So some games you'll see your Nemesis, other games you'll see the other player's nemesis, or you might not see a nemesis at all. It's pretty neat. If you play a lot of Spiderman, you might get sick of vulture showing up, but he is not going to be in every game.

This deck building is comparable to other LCGs. I would compare the deck building to Warhammer Conquest (RIP) in that you start with 15 cards unique to the hero and choose an aspect. The aspect is similar to neighboring factions in Conquest in that once you choose it, you can add whatever cards you want to it. Then you build the deck up to 40 cards.

But I keep all the heroes built at once and will build them out as the card pool expands. For instance, Captain Marvel is currently built for 'Leadership'. She uses the 'energy' resource to do a bunch of stuff, but most importantly she uses it to charge a big energy beam that can do a lot of damage. I like that, so I swapped in cards from the leadership aspect and neutrals from other heroes that contain the energy resource. Now her deck has a much better ratio of energy to other resources to really make that beam more effective. I did stuff like this for all four hero decks.

Obviously, with just the core set, deck building is more limited, but some core sets couldn't even have you build a legal deck from them. So this is very good so far. When Captain America comes out, he will be built around the Leadership aspect, so he will have have a bunch of leadership cards. Presumably, some of those cards will have a energy resource can help my Captain Marvel deck, so I'll swap those cards into Captain Marvel. Maybe I want Captain America's deck to be about boosting 'Avenger' allies, so I'll make sure he has all the cards that help him with that.

In the end, I'll have two custom Leadership decks fully built. I'll do the same thing with all four aspects, so I have every hero fully built and custom. Some heroes are bound to become second-class citizens that I scavenge cards from to boost other decks, but they will be playable.

But Captain Marvel isn't stuck in Leadership. If a card comes out that would work well for her in Justice, I would find Justice hero that could do Leadership and swap all cards of that aspect. Then I can trade cards around in Justice to give Captain Marvel her energy resources (or abandon that energy beam idea and build around something else in Justice that works with Captain Marvel).

In other words, this lcg can be as custom as Sentinels if you want, or it can be as custom as Arkham if you want. It is very flexible.

The downside to this method is that I won't have a binder of cards. If I want a particular card in Captain Marvel, I'll need to dig through the other Leadership decks to find it.

The art varies from 'so bad it is embarrassing' to 'passable'. On average, it is still better than Sentinels, which looks like something a bored child would doodle during class.

Edit: I could babble on twice as long comparing this game to Sentinels, Legendary, or other LCGs, if you are interested.

Edit 2: Another fun detail for LCG-heads such as myself is that the Nick Fury neutral ally is pretty similar to the Gandalf neutral ally in LotR. Since Nate French designed both games, this seems like a fun throwback. It is funny to think of Nick Fury as the Gandalf of the Marvel Universe.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 6, 2019

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Edit 2: Another fun detail for LCG-heads such as myself is that the Nick Fury neutral ally is pretty similar to the Gandalf neutral ally in LotR. Since Nate French designed both games, this seems like a fun throwback. It is funny to think of Nick Fury as the Gandalf of the Marvel Universe.

Thematically, shouldn't it be like, Ms. Marvel?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Foehammer posted:

How is a stretchy teen from Jersey anything like Gandalf?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Well, for one, she has like 1000 aliases :argh:

You know who I meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Foehammer posted:

Both are old wise dudes who randomly pop into the lives of heroes to give them missions/quests. Both group heroes into Avengers/fellowships in order to tackle great evils.