Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

contrarywise, for me this was where the plot went from good to exceptional
I agree with this. I think this and the other dungeons are a really well done way to reveal the background of Jimmy's family. The memory caves gave us a taste of the personalities of his family members, but Rainbow Park and the others pull back the curtain, though some dungeons tell more than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I followed every single rule. :smug:

Rainbow Park vexed me for a bit because there's a trick to getting every toy box in it and I didn't know some of them at first.

I also managed to do the Rainbow Park maze (and that loving chocobo race in FFX). I think Kasey covertly added a second to the timer after release.

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

C-Euro posted:

Very glad that I called my mom yesterday :unsmith:

If we're in Jimmy's dream, I wonder how he figured out all of this stuff about his mom's past.

I've always wondered this too. We talked about this in the discord once and my guesses are either these are visions of the past that are meant only for the person playing the game to gather information from so it's not necessarily Jimmy imagining them and thats why they're transparent -or- maybe Jimmy saw a photo album and there was pictures of the park and what helga and Andrew looked like back then. Since helga has a lot of depressive episodes and Jimmy knows this, I guess he imagines her playing in the park then sitting around sadly? Idk

Jimmy imagining his mom sad while pregnant doesnt really make any sense to me though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I want to say that Jimmy knows these memories of his mom because he's been told some of these stories before.

The maze race is truly hard, but fortunately, there's a way to make sure you don't have to do it. Remember the detective in Mute Notes? GP isn't showing it off, but after you go to Grim Echoes, you can hit him up for hints on how to access the light bulbs. The exception is in Rainbow Park, because he'll just straight-up open the path for you.

Solitair posted:

I followed every single rule. :smug:
I tried to follow all the rules, but I kept getting tripped up by the "turn left at every possible corner" one. What do you get for being a good boy?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

What do you get for being a good boy?

You don't get dumped in the punishment room.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solitair posted:

There's a hard-boiled egg in there for cool boys.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't notice Past Helga's baby bump in her dungeon. That strongly hints that Buck wasn't planned.

Solitair posted:

What, no item? Screw the rules, then.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't notice Past Helga's baby bump in her dungeon. That strongly hints that Buck wasn't planned.
Yeah, especially when pregnant Helga was crying with Andrew in the rain.

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
I don't have direct experience with the game, but isn't Punch's field action also shaking? I don't think you needed to switch back to goon to do the shaking you did in this video.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
iirc Punch's field move is a punch. i couldnt find a use for it, so i figured it was just for fun

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Dash Rendar posted:

iirc Punch's field move is a punch. i couldnt find a use for it, so i figured it was just for fun

I think it works on the same things the bird dash works on. Which is pretty rare, admittedly.

The field actions are not used even close to evenly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there a dreamed-up NPC Punch you can punch with Punch form?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There's at least one place in the game where Punch's punch works while nothing else does. I don't remember where, though.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

There's at least one place in the game where Punch's punch works while nothing else does. I don't remember where, though.

I believe it's this episode! Which means

Episode 34 is up

Sweet baby new friend Highwang joins me! And his joy is adorable.

We spend some time learning about what it means to be a good dad, even though Mr. Fish isn't a good Dad.

Also, even though Guppy is a frog, I still think she's running around in a bare-rear end Godzilla costume.

I've got some ideas about the Mad Queen. Definitely don't think it's Helga. Especially with The empty crib

Commentary On

No Commentary

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Qrr posted:

I think it works on the same things the bird dash works on. Which is pretty rare, admittedly.

The field actions are not used even close to evenly.

ah dang i think i'd found most of those bird dash situations by then.

yeah i wish more field powers got to shine. the Blob and bull one from way earlier was from left field and i only found it because of GP.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Think back to some of the dialog when you first get into Legato. The citizens tell you that once, the queen was always singing, the halls filled with music. Then her son died. After that, she got cold and distant, then she became a tyrant who enforced all kinds of unfair rules, which forced the Legato Knights to seal her in the mirror.

So my Mad Queen theory: she's a parallel to Helga, and it's Jimmy fearing what his mom will become if he dies from his cancer. Very grim stuff.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

So my Mad Queen theory: she's a parallel to Helga, and it's Jimmy fearing what his mom will become if he dies from his cancer. Very grim stuff.

I disagree. A recurring theme has been about Helga bounces back so quick and forgets. Like when Buck went missing. No one even asked about him.

But we keep seeing this theme of empty cradles...

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

My theory: The Mad Queen is Jimmy's doctor and the caterpillar is Jimmy's nurse. The Mad Queen goes on about how she wants to protect Jimmy and keep him safe, but to do so she wants to mutilate Jimmy. This might be an allegory for surgery, a medical procedure that involves and even requires pain and bodily harm. The Caterpillar is the person who speaks to Jimmy before he can meet the Queen (in the same way that a nurse is in charge of patient intake before the patient sees the doctor), asks questions that are really riddles (like those patient intake forms that have 1000000 questions and are often difficult or impossible to answer), is always short on time (nurses juggle a million patients), and do things that they say are good for you but might be perceived as punishment from Jimmy's point of view.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MachuPikacchu posted:

My theory: The Mad Queen is Jimmy's doctor and the caterpillar is Jimmy's nurse. The Mad Queen goes on about how she wants to protect Jimmy and keep him safe, but to do so she wants to mutilate Jimmy. This might be an allegory for surgery, a medical procedure that involves and even requires pain and bodily harm. The Caterpillar is the person who speaks to Jimmy before he can meet the Queen (in the same way that a nurse is in charge of patient intake before the patient sees the doctor), asks questions that are really riddles (like those patient intake forms that have 1000000 questions and are often difficult or impossible to answer), is always short on time (nurses juggle a million patients), and do things that they say are good for you but might be perceived as punishment from Jimmy's point of view.

I got that vibe too, especially with the emphasis on waiting around, being in an unfamiliar place and out of home for god-knows-how-long :(, the overall surgical theme, and the specific use of the word 'orderly'.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MachuPikacchu posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. I think the dead son is something Jimmy's doctor told his parents, possibly as a way to tell them that they're not alone in having this kind of heartbreak

GP didn't show off all the enemies in the Mad Queen's realm, but they all have something to do with this ordeal. The King of Diamonds deals with money and American medical care takes up a lot of that, the Ace of Spades likes to cut you and being cut open happens in hospitals, the Jack of Clubs and Queen of Diamonds, respectively, make you physically and mentally weak. The Joker represents randomness: Jimmy doesn't know if he'll leave alive or dead.

I had no idea Kasey had an MFA. He's drat good with allegories.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 30, 2019

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

aaaw yeaaaaa, one of my faves

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

aaaw yeaaaaa, one of my faves

He's a great bro and he runs a really good stream over at https://www.twitch.tv/highwang

If there's anyone else ya'll want to see, I've got no problem asking.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
also re: FFXII, I feel a bit miffed because I love that game, but also, honestly, fair enough, that thing can be a slog and a half

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

also re: FFXII, I feel a bit miffed because I love that game, but also, honestly, fair enough, that thing can be a slog and a half

i haven't enjoyed an FF since 9 and even that wasn't all that good. I did play the poo poo outta Blitzball in 10 though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Feeling very personally attacked from all this FF12 and Last Remnant hate.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

GrandmaParty posted:

He's a great bro and he runs a really good stream over at https://www.twitch.tv/highwang

If there's anyone else ya'll want to see, I've got no problem asking.

Geop

Supergreatfriend

More of Scabs

Dr.Smasher fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 31, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I don't hate it but I've never finished it despite multiple attempts at trying to do so.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dr.Smasher posted:

Geop

Supergreatfriend

More of Scabs

Old man geop's mic is broken but I'll hit up SGF.

Scabs is and always will be here

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well Salvador Dali got the idea of melting clocks from seeing his Camembert cheese melting, so...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

XII is one of two single-player FFs that I've finished (the other being V) and it's my favourite single-player one. XIV is my favourite overall though.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 35 is up

Katherine joins me because I wanted her to watch me shake a baby.

This is information Guyland. I actually like it as a concept a lot and it's definitely a metaphor for his physician just spouting words at him.

Plus, it's surprisingly well thought out as a place.

AND DAD IS GONNA BECOME A MONSTER. JUST LIKE MOM :D

This might be Katherine's last one for the rest of this LP except for the hellstream because I've still got some commentators to get turns.

Commentary On

No Commentary

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"You're just a container of mostly water, and eventually you'll be dry."

good content

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Wait, it was actually a different Information guy each time? I thought he was just one guy who kept coming back. We also finally discover why we keep seeing him eating bananas at random points.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tombot posted:

Wait, it was actually a different Information guy each time? I thought he was just one guy who kept coming back. We also finally discover why we keep seeing him eating bananas at random points.

It's a whole series of different information guys dying. They breed like possums!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

This is information Guyland. I actually like it as a concept a lot and it's definitely a metaphor for his physician just spouting words at him.
That makes sense, at first I thought it was just Jimmy having a plain ol' fear of zombies because of all the horror movies he's watched with Buck. Before I posted that Information Guy might be a teacher that Jimmy hates and wants to see die, but it makes more sense that he's one of his doctors.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm still reasonably sure Information Guy represents the abstract process of learning, and he dies a lot because that is most of what Jimmy has been learning recently.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The Totem is what I don't get, why is there a totem in particular causing all this? I don't think I understand the significance of it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think the totem is just set dressing due to the aforementioned horror movie night with buck. I think its supposed to evoke the whole Voodoo/"strange shamanic magic" horror flick aesthetic. Dude finds a cursed artifact that makes the dead rise is a pretty generic premise.

My guess is they cant all be intricate and triple layered allegories, we still got quite a bit of game to go. Sometimes a duck is just a duck.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 2, 2019

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Since we know info guys repeat what others say now..

I assume this is something Mr Cat said before he broke out of jail??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kad posted:

Since we know info guys repeat what others say now..

I assume this is something Mr Cat said before he broke out of jail??

Doesn't he say this somewhere else too?