Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i went to a thing and there was music and it was loud and i nonetheless enjoyed it for like 2 and half hours before leaving a bit early because i was starting to get overwhelmed with the noise and people but after sitting outside for a while im feeling much better and on the whole this was a mostly positive experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

from past experience i can confirm that watching a dumb video is much better way to get to sleel than thinking of reasons to commit suicide

Pretty much. It's drowning out the lovely thought train that keeps saying you're a giant piece of poo poo with very familiar voices and sounds. The rock bottom depression from a few years ago was MST3K, this time around it's very specific chill LPs. Since I know the jokes beat-by-beat, I try to force my brain to follow along with the dialog*. But since I know whats happening by heart, there's nothing novel to hyperfocus on.

*EVERY EVENING I GO TO BED AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VIDEO INTO THE QUEUE. IT'S MST3K AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START THINKING THE JOKES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTERS, THE BOTS. I THINK EVERY QUIP AND I REMEMBER THEM HARD. MAKIN WEEPING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SADBRAIN poo poo OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP AND RUMINATE. NOT MANY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE GALAXY'S MOST BULLSHIT BRAIN PROBLEMS. I DO. I POST ABOUT IT AND I POST ABOUT IT EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE ON THE CSPAM THREAD AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET CAN BE VERY SUPPORTIVE. AND I'VE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY BED AT NIGHT BE MORE BEARABLE BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY NIGHT. THEN I LIFT.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Pretty much. It's drowning out the lovely thought train that keeps saying you're a giant piece of poo poo with very familiar voices and sounds. The rock bottom depression from a few years ago was MST3K, this time around it's very specific chill LPs. Since I know the jokes beat-by-beat, I try to force my brain to follow along with the dialog*. But since I know whats happening by heart, there's nothing novel to hyperfocus on.

*EVERY EVENING I GO TO BED AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VIDEO INTO THE QUEUE. IT'S MST3K AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START THINKING THE JOKES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTERS, THE BOTS. I THINK EVERY QUIP AND I REMEMBER THEM HARD. MAKIN WEEPING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SADBRAIN poo poo OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP AND RUMINATE. NOT MANY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE GALAXY'S MOST BULLSHIT BRAIN PROBLEMS. I DO. I POST ABOUT IT AND I POST ABOUT IT EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE ON THE CSPAM THREAD AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET CAN BE VERY SUPPORTIVE. AND I'VE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY BED AT NIGHT BE MORE BEARABLE BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY NIGHT. THEN I LIFT.

thank god for your electric dress

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Addamere posted:

i went to a thing and there was music and it was loud and i nonetheless enjoyed it for like 2 and half hours before leaving a bit early because i was starting to get overwhelmed with the noise and people but after sitting outside for a while im feeling much better and on the whole this was a mostly positive experience

Way to go!

Sanguinary Novel posted:

12 to The Moon playing in the background right now. MST 3K is prettymuch the only way i can get to sleep.

Ill also admit to finding certsin ASMR videos calming.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i listen to the skyrim ost a lot

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

from past experience i can confirm that watching a dumb video is much better way to get to sleel than thinking of reasons to commit suicide

totally fair

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I use a crackling fire with howling wind 10hour youtube on a tablet. That or rain on temt.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i put on old cum town episodes low enough so that two of the voices sound like muffled, howling wind and stav's cackles sound like the crackling of fire

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Audiobooks of books I've already read or audibles free "sleep better" meditation thingy works well for me

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

turn off the TV posted:

:stare:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Addamere posted:

:hellyeah:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sanguinary Novel posted:

That's a very novel way of looking at it. I tend to be hyper focused on media that's playing in a room such that it can never go into the background. I don't re-watch videos I've played previously but maybe I should, and this explains why they can be less distracting but still beneficial as a way of feeling surrounded by welcoming things. I guess I always just skip watched videos/shows because I'm usually overly cautious about tainting my good memories of it, but this concept sounds like a reason I don't need to feel that way.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The trip out last night seems to have flipped a switch in my head and made me more productive today.

I woke up late enough in the afternoon that in days past I would have just written off the day, yet again, as a day nothing can be done. Instead, I got up, showered, and instead of grabbing some caffeine and settling in at the computer desk to alternate between shitposting and watching YouTube videos I went out for an evening bicycle ride. Upon returning, I still feel energized and while I've been shitposting I'm also getting some things done I've been putting off around the house.

But going back to last night itself, I felt feelings I'd not felt in nearly a decade, on the way home from it. I used to go out every once in a while to clear my mind, and I pretty much stopped doing that several years ago. I got almost deja vu feelings of the way I'd feel over a decade ago, and reminding myself of those times makes me wonder if this hasn't been a pressure valve for my stress that I've just completely forgotten about and ignored. That seems likely! I think I'm going to start making a habit of going out on the weekends, especially if like now I'm in the middle of a hosed up sleep schedule where I'm awake all night anyway. Worst case scenario, it seems, is that I'm the yuppie wallflower whose attendance contributes to keeping ticket prices down. And the upside is I feel more human afterward, and more comfortable with myself and capable of executive function the next day.

Gonna mention all this to my pdoc next time I see them.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on the other hand, last night took me from just over one year sober to zero days sober :sweatdrop:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I sure miss going out too. I feel like I've been waiting for better times to try to make stuff work out with regularly seeing friends, but now is when I need them. Your story was nice.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Addamere posted:

The trip out last night seems to have flipped a switch in my head and made me more productive today.

I woke up late enough in the afternoon that in days past I would have just written off the day, yet again, as a day nothing can be done. Instead, I got up, showered, and instead of grabbing some caffeine and settling in at the computer desk to alternate between shitposting and watching YouTube videos I went out for an evening bicycle ride. Upon returning, I still feel energized and while I've been shitposting I'm also getting some things done I've been putting off around the house.

But going back to last night itself, I felt feelings I'd not felt in nearly a decade, on the way home from it. I used to go out every once in a while to clear my mind, and I pretty much stopped doing that several years ago. I got almost deja vu feelings of the way I'd feel over a decade ago, and reminding myself of those times makes me wonder if this hasn't been a pressure valve for my stress that I've just completely forgotten about and ignored. That seems likely! I think I'm going to start making a habit of going out on the weekends, especially if like now I'm in the middle of a hosed up sleep schedule where I'm awake all night anyway. Worst case scenario, it seems, is that I'm the yuppie wallflower whose attendance contributes to keeping ticket prices down. And the upside is I feel more human afterward, and more comfortable with myself and capable of executive function the next day.

Gonna mention all this to my pdoc next time I see them.

wow, congrats! try to keep that momentum going

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Weekend got off to a bad start. Dreamt I was so depressed, I was going to kill myself. Made a plan in the dream and everything, it was awful.

Woke up feeling excessively sad and guilty, and it's clouded the whole day.

Thanks subconscious, you're a real pal.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Does anybody keep a mood diary? I’ve heard it’s supposed to be useful but I’m not really sure how or why?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

TACD posted:

Does anybody keep a mood diary? I’ve heard it’s supposed to be useful but I’m not really sure how or why?

I don't, but a friend was encouraging me to over messenger, so I'll just copy paste what she was saying about them:

a friend posted:

Do you have a mood tracker?

I really like those, because

My depression is never just going from good days to bad days. I tend to oscillate wildly between my worst and best days, and checking the frequency of the bad days is really helpful to see trends in how the meds might be working, or if I'm heading for an epispde..

Also, when things feel especially lovely, I like checking with recent data to see that, it's often not that everything's lovely all the time, but sometimes it's just the right now that's lovely

I've been doing it with diary cards in my IOP, but you can do it however. Someone told me about an app that will give you push notifications, asking a few questions about your mood throughout the day? Then it compiles the data for you

But yeah, I highly recommend it. Especially with [personal info expunged] where the panic attacks likely aren't going to go away completely, it helps to tell when 1 attack in a month turns into 3 a week...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TACD posted:

I don't, but the potential usefulness is really clear, e.g. for me it would no doubt much more effectively have demonstrated that while I was happy and full of energy the 24 hours after going out drinking I was then extra miserable another day out. As it stands I just slowly realized it over a much longer time period.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I keep a general diary which is mostly just cataloging my mood and what I'm struggling with at the moment. What's helpful for me is looking back a few weeks and seeing what had changed, what I could do differently, etc

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Failson posted:

Weekend got off to a bad start. Dreamt I was so depressed, I was going to kill myself. Made a plan in the dream and everything, it was awful.

I had a dream a couple weeks back where I was dying. Not self harm or anything- but it was first-person, where I was looking out and I saw the darkness encircling my vision and it kind of hurt, but I thought to myself "you've been waiting for this for decades. You better enjoy it and take it all in."

that dream is gonna stick with me and gently caress my month up. my ideation is down to near zero at this point now that my meds have been dialed in, and even though it wasnt self harm, still disconcerting. fuckin' rear end in a top hat brain

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Failson posted:

sup bad dream buddy. last night I dreamed I accidentally backed into a little girl and she broke her neck, killing her instantly. I had to file reports at the station and told them immediately I needed a suicide watch.

yup.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yall do understand that you're among the most valuable handful of people on earth right

Nearly zero people on our planet understand our predatory political situation as well as a CSPAM poster, and how best to teach people how to survive in it

Do not think about killing yourselves, christ -- if anything everyone else in the planet besides you should die first. You're comparatively better people in terms of net benefit to human knowledge about suffering and kindness and how they work in complex societal systems.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Yall do understand that you're among the most valuable handful of people on earth right

Nearly zero people on our planet understand our predatory political situation as well as a CSPAM poster, and how best to teach people how to survive in it

Do not think about killing yourselves, christ -- if anything everyone else in the planet besides you should die first. You're comparatively better people in terms of net benefit to human knowledge about suffering and kindness and how they work in complex societal systems.

i mean we howl for blood in cspam on a regular basis but very few peoples truly deserve to die and imo that’s a call I’m not comfortable making beyond a few obvious human cancers in politics

but that being said everyone itt is dope and I’m glad y’all are engaging and at least reaching out, it’s brave and hopefully helps :)

e: except the posters who come in here telling people not to get help gently caress them. rest of you are great tho

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Reading C-SPAM helps me feel less alone, you are all valuable people who make positive contributions even if you don't know it

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I had an incredibly hard summer after my engagement ended and the support and jokes of C-SPAM posters played a pretty big role in helping me unfuck my brain. So I really appreciate this thread and am trying to pay it forward by being as good to other goons as everyone was to me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I woke up crying because I realized it's only going to get hotter and hotter, and everyone I know and love will die someday, and now it's almost guaranteed to be cruel and painful, and I probably won't get to die peacefully at home surrounded by people that I love. what is the point in getting a software engineering degree if there's not going to be any computers in 15 years.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Turtlicious posted:

I woke up crying because I realized it's only going to get hotter and hotter, and everyone I know and love will die someday, and now it's almost guaranteed to be cruel and painful, and I probably won't get to die peacefully at home surrounded by people that I love. what is the point in getting a software engineering degree if there's not going to be any computers in 15 years.

if there’s one thing 2016 has taught me, it’s that nobody has any goddamn what’s going to happen and we left logical causality and rational action a long time ago. things are turbofucked right now but who the hell can even guess what we’re going to see in the future based on the calvacade of improbable events we’ve witnessed?

as hard as it is, don’t lose focus of what you have now based on what will happen in the future. it’s a million times easier to say then do but still important.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I was extremely dumb and let my insurance lapse for a month by putting down the wrong date on a form and I've been without medication for 3 weeks and no way to afford more for another two, pray for me

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
lol i slept the whole day because i'm depressed

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mayor Dave posted:

I was extremely dumb and let my insurance lapse for a month by putting down the wrong date on a form and I've been without medication for 3 weeks and no way to afford more for another two, pray for me

have you checked goodrx, there’s some absolutely stupid deals on most generics on there

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Chokes McGee posted:

have you checked goodrx, there’s some absolutely stupid deals on most generics on there

It's not the pills it's the prescription, I have to get a new one and I can't afford the appointment without the insurance

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mayor Dave posted:

It's not the pills it's the prescription, I have to get a new one and I can't afford the appointment without the insurance

oh :smith:

valerian is otc so I feel comfortable recommending it generally for anxiety. stay the gently caress away from St. John’s wort it will gently caress your poo poo up

e: camomile and lavender are also good for stress control. not much to be done for bipolar or psychosis :(

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mayor Dave posted:

I've called my doctor before while my insurance was in lapse and had them issue a new one with no charge. My pharmacy, Rite-Aid also will fax my doctor a week before my refills are up and they keep approving more refills so you may want to try that.

Stay safe fellow med-needing goon.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I've been sober for about a month an a half. No cravings to speak of and I'm going to therapy but the depression is still slapping me around pretty good.

Recently I signed a purchase agreement for a new place and it's nice and it's where I want to live, but I'm kind of wondering why I bothered to do it at all. Moving into a new place and buying stuff to put there and spending money on it all just seems sort of like decorating a tomb for myself. It's not like I have anyone to share it with, so here I am working crazy hours to fill up a house full of poo poo that just makes me feel isolated.

The ennui of middle-aged, middle-managment assholes is as petty as it is real.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Moving into a new place and buying stuff to put there and spending money on it all just seems sort of like decorating a tomb for myself.

I've never thought about this kind of thing framed like that before, and now I'm imagining future archeologists finally breaking the seal on an ancient apartment-tomb and marveling at the shelves and shelves of meticulously organized and placed funkos.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Hope everyone gets at least mediocre dreams tonight. Sleep well goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Recently I signed a purchase agreement for a new place and it's nice and it's where I want to live, but I'm kind of wondering why I bothered to do it at all. Moving into a new place and buying stuff to put there and spending money on it all just seems sort of like decorating a tomb for myself. It's not like I have anyone to share it with, so here I am working crazy hours to fill up a house full of poo poo that just makes me feel isolated.

It's conspicuous consumption conditioned into you by capitalism. You don't actually have to fill the house with poo poo. It's just a societal expectation. You can do whatever you want.