Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RossCo posted:

I've never hit a boss so enraging that it has made me want to refund a game until Gorefist.

Edit: Actually I have, they are normally just after the two hour mark!

There are two related strategies to handle Gorefist. Well, three now, you can join Goon Discord and get a max level player to dunk on his stupid wooden face without the scaling being nonsense.

- Git Gud, which I have to my considerable surprise. The upside of that fight is the same as the downside: 100% of the damage comes from melee jerks charging at you, so if you can keep them away you win.

- Join pubbie games until you get a summon mod, which makes life WAY easier as far as distracting the melee enemies and/or adding chip damage on Gorefist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The secret to Gorefist is learning you can let him chase you to the end of a hallway and then jump out the window to slow him down or gently caress his pathfinding up while you kill adds.

I have reached the swamp. The swamp makes me sad.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
im just waiting to see what it is that makes yaesha also a post-apocalyptic scenario

altho then again i might have just done that by opening up the wrong crypt

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Started NG+ on Hard, got Gorefist for the first time. Not a bad fight, he's pretty much identical to that similar elite, there are just explosive adds. As long as you stand in a place that has multiple exit points to get away from bombers, you're fine. His attacks are really simple to avoid.

After that though I got to Root Mother, and that just kicked my rear end for a while. I'll go back to it tomorrow probably, but it seems like a pretty hard DPS check for me right now. I've gotten very close, but I run out of ammo and can't deal with everything in time.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

RossCo posted:

I've never hit a boss so enraging that it has made me want to refund a game until Gorefist.

Edit: Actually I have, they are normally just after the two hour mark!

Hes pretty much a git gid check, if you can manage the rolly polly mobs you can do it. Learn to roll into his attacks as he sweeps wide and combos if you roll to the back/side, roll about half a second after getting into close range of him. You can pretty much run circles around him on the upper level around the stairs that lead down.

I was eating poo poo dealing with the shroud when I started, then I noticed how you can kinda cheese him by camping around in the building/stairways.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i broke the shaders and it looks cool as hell

affects cutscenes too

it doesnt go away on death, and i haven't tried logging out yet but i'm going to soon

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I got the laser gun and it’s still extremely lol.

The fight against the twin butterflies was cool as heck.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I hear people say that that fight is a lot easier solo, do to a much reduced corrosive cloud spam.

I tried that boss in someone else's game several times last night and we kept getting wiped either by the scream damage or someone getting knocked off the bridge.

Haven't touched the game since the balance pass though (I don't think) so i'll probably give it another few goes with friendos before trying to solo it at all.

I just want to point out that a lot of bosses seem pretty mean when you have no idea what they can do and how they operate. Having done a bunch of pubbing around with joining random games, hitting my head against a brick wall with teams against Undying King or a couple others, absolutely nothing compares to the headache of trying to solo a Shroud Enchanter as the first boss encounter. If I stopped moving I died, end of story.

What armor sets are good for radiation or corrosive defense?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FunkyFjord posted:

I hear people say that that fight is a lot easier solo, do to a much reduced corrosive cloud spam.

I tried that boss in someone else's game several times last night and we kept getting wiped either by the scream damage or someone getting knocked off the bridge.

Haven't touched the game since the balance pass though (I don't think) so i'll probably give it another few goes with friendos before trying to solo it at all.

We were getting wiped out by either falling off the edge, the laser, or the bombs, but honestly I loved it. It was the first boss that felt genuinely mechanically challenging instead of just “its hard cause there’s adds” or “its not very hard at all.”

This was my friend and I two manning it.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
my understanding is that the big thing is the pseudo-adds for that fight spawn on both sides of the bridge if theres more than one player

made it to the final boss, fought it a couple times, decided to roll another campaign (hard this time) since i hear it only has one weapon and i think the last patch's hp changes mighta made it a bit of a monolith atm

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
I just downloaded this and finished the tutorial before bed, so I havent really gotten to any character building yet.
How easy is it to make a garbage build, and how do I avoid doing that?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I remember playing The Division a year or so ago and thinking "Man, I'd enjoy this game a lot more if instead of boring army guys, I got to shoot kooky monsters like an open-world Parasite Eve" and holy poo poo does this game scratch that itch. I've only just reached the second world, but I'm already wondering how viable it would be to go full melee all the time. Probably a nightmare, judging from some of the bosses so far.

There's just a couple questions that the in-game tutorials haven't filled me in on. What does the "Reroll World" option do at the big central teleporter stone? Is that like a soft reset or something? Also, there's a big red skull at the bottom of my mini-map. I thought that was pointing the way to a boss at first, but it's not that. Does that mean anything?

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames

Tainted Ham posted:

I just downloaded this and finished the tutorial before bed, so I havent really gotten to any character building yet.
How easy is it to make a garbage build, and how do I avoid doing that?

for traits, dont worry about it too much, just do whatever seems good

for upgrades: keep weapons and armour you use at roughly the same upgrade level. id say to only bother upgrading about half of the equipment you find during your first campaign run

Crowetron posted:

I remember playing The Division a year or so ago and thinking "Man, I'd enjoy this game a lot more if instead of boring army guys, I got to shoot kooky monsters like an open-world Parasite Eve" and holy poo poo does this game scratch that itch. I've only just reached the second world, but I'm already wondering how viable it would be to go full melee all the time. Probably a nightmare, judging from some of the bosses so far.

There's just a couple questions that the in-game tutorials haven't filled me in on. What does the "Reroll World" option do at the big central teleporter stone? Is that like a soft reset or something? Also, there's a big red skull at the bottom of my mini-map. I thought that was pointing the way to a boss at first, but it's not that. Does that mean anything?

melee can be viable but it takes somewhat specific builds to do so. reroll world means that you start back at the beginning with everything you have (NG+ style) and get entirely new generated worlds. the current mode means that you cant generate every item and boss in a single campaign, so this means you can find new stuff you missed before. you lose access to non ward merchants and im assuming key items

i am not clear on the purpose of the red skull myself

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think it indicates the difficulty level of the world you're in.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, how are you supposed to handle the Mangler solo since he keeps on making GBS threads adds at me until I get swamped. Is the answer to simply team up or am I missing something in that fight?

Estel
May 4, 2010
Upgrade a weapon until you can kill the adds in one shoot or melee hit, when the adds spawn focus on killing them while evading the boss charges and once killed focus the boss. This tactic works for almost all bosses.

Crowetron posted:

Also, there's a big red skull at the bottom of my mini-map. I thought that was pointing the way to a boss at first, but it's not that. Does that mean anything?

Like said it indicates the difficulty level of the world.

Estel fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 31, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If I am a chump and die in the tutorial right away do I miss out on anything?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If I am a chump and die in the tutorial right away do I miss out on anything?

You spot some rando NPC who dies to a tree man before you can talk to them and you get a cutscene of your character fighting a bunch of tree people until they go down, at which point you get the "whoa there big guy we'll save you" thing that you already saw.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kanos posted:

You spot some rando NPC who dies to a tree man before you can talk to them and you get a cutscene of your character fighting a bunch of tree people until they go down, at which point you get the "whoa there big guy we'll save you" thing that you already saw.
Cool, thank you. I kept reverting to Witcher 3 reflexes and this game doesn't have a "sidestep dodge" like Witcher 3 - only dive-and-roll, and I did not adjust well :downs: Double tapping a move direction does nothing, Muenster, NOTHING.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Must’ve been tired. Came back to the game today and one shot hard NG+ Root Mama. Weird how that poo poo works.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Estel posted:

Upgrade a weapon until you can kill the adds in one shoot or melee hit, when the adds spawn focus on killing them while evading the boss charges and once killed focus the boss. This tactic works for almost all bosses.
I´ve followed the very same strategy but the little poo poo keeps calling in reinforcements constantly that I never get a decent chance to plug him, which is why I was wondering whether I was missing something in this fight.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

ogresque posted:

for traits, dont worry about it too much, just do whatever seems good

for upgrades: keep weapons and armour you use at roughly the same upgrade level. id say to only bother upgrading about half of the equipment you find during your first campaign run

Okay cool. So should I just keep upgrading health and exp boost traits until I find some new ones I like or should I hold on to my upgrade points?

Oh, and if I find new gear i like later in the game, is it a grind to get to get them upgraded?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Must’ve been tired. Came back to the game today and one shot hard NG+ Root Mama. Weird how that poo poo works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_fatigue

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
You know what works really well against Gorefist?

Gorefist's drop. Trivializes that schmuck in future playthroughs where you just want to pistol-whip him for not being Shroud.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Ent is way easier than Singe, holy crap. That's barely even a boss.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lmao I cant even get to the first checkpoint. I've died like 6 times. Game may not be for me. I keep trying to side-step when that isnt even a move you can do in this game. I dislike that there is either "move agonizingly slowly out of the way" or " dive-and-roll"

eidt: I also find it infuriating that Spring and Crouch are a toggle rather than hold-to-do-this and there is no choice in the matter.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lmao I cant even get to the first checkpoint. I've died like 6 times. Game may not be for me. I keep trying to side-step when that isnt even a move you can do in this game. I dislike that there is either "move agonizingly slowly out of the way" or " dive-and-roll"

eidt: I also find it infuriating that Spring and Crouch are a toggle rather than hold-to-do-this and there is no choice in the matter.

I don't like that crouch is a toggle either, but I've only ever used it to teabag bosses so it's not really a big deal.

e: Actually, this isn't entirely true. I also use it to do funny walks when I'm bored and waiting for the next area to load.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Does voice work now?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Regrettable posted:

I don't like that crouch is a toggle either, but I've only ever used it to teabag bosses so it's not really a big deal.

e: Actually, this isn't entirely true. I also use it to do funny walks when I'm bored and waiting for the next area to load.

If you want to nail headshots with the hunting rifle (the best weapon in the game) consistently, it's a must.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

If you want to nail headshots with the hunting rifle (the best weapon in the game) consistently, it's a must.

The hunting rifle is my preferred weapon when I'm not abusing the Devastator+Bandit Armor. I have never crouched to shoot with it and don't have issues hitting consistent headshots. :shrug:

I have been playing a lot of fps games the past couple of years though.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Had my opinion on this game very much turned around after getting past Gorefist (employed the "Git gud" advice, and also the fire shells mod).

Spent an hour playing through two different bosses with a random who joined my game, the only downside was not being able to thank them in any way (no mic available for VOIP sadly). Beyond that, top stuff.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Regrettable posted:

The hunting rifle is my preferred weapon when I'm not abusing the Devastator+Bandit Armor. I have never crouched to shoot with it and don't have issues hitting consistent headshots. :shrug:

I have been playing a lot of fps games the past couple of years though.

Has nothing to do with your aim and everything to do with the spread. At max distance it's easy to miss a headshot while you're moving around. Crouching makes it pinpoint accurate.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I accidentally crouched under a thrown axe once and now I take hits in the face constantly trying to replicate that

it's actually real easy to dodge basic throw attacks in this manner, I just keep getting greedy with my shots

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Has nothing to do with your aim and everything to do with the spread. At max distance it's easy to miss a headshot while you're moving around. Crouching makes it pinpoint accurate.

There really isn't any spread unless you're trying to move and shoot at the same time but okay.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FunkyFjord posted:

I accidentally crouched under a thrown axe once and now I take hits in the face constantly trying to replicate that

it's actually real easy to dodge basic throw attacks in this manner, I just keep getting greedy with my shots

The iframes on the back dash, the dodge you do without any directional input, are just about perfect for showing off completely unnecessary.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've never played with the particle accelerator much, is it solid?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've never played with the particle accelerator much, is it solid?

It's alright. The mod is fun because it makes a black hole that sucks nearby things in and then explodes. You will probably kill yourself at least a few times with it.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Just finished our very first playthrough which was set on hard with 2 buds. The final boss took about 30% of the entire run....most guns/builds we found in the run appear to be woefully under-powered to open up Nightmare's chest (even with 10 stacks). The Wildfire mod made it appalling easy once we finally used that.

How to I make NG+? My character is just back in the ward... Do I simply reroll?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

midge posted:

Just finished our very first playthrough which was set on hard with 2 buds. The final boss took about 30% of the entire run....most guns/builds we found in the run appear to be woefully under-powered to open up Nightmare's chest (even with 10 stacks). The Wildfire mod made it appalling easy once we finally used that.

How to I make NG+? My character is just back in the ward... Do I simply reroll?

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Regrettable posted:

It's alright. The mod is fun because it makes a black hole that sucks nearby things in and then explodes. You will probably kill yourself at least a few times with it.

excellent. i've always wanted to crush myself into a null point of matter