Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My brother would claim our parent's home business would fail if they had to pay people a higher minimum wage, and that always seemed odd to me since as far as I can remember they maybe hire 2 kids as helpers from family friends like for at most a couple of days a summer; and my response is usually to shrug and say so be it; as it would otherwise be hypocritical of me.

I guess I'm the bad prodigal child. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Too lazy to advance vote today, will do tomorrow

Maybe

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PC's no show again at a health-care debate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/health-debate-no-pallister-1.5265326

What the gently caress is with these assholes?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

MikeSevigny posted:

I don't know why they singled out the teachers to play hardball

It is pretty weird and the general buzz I'm getting is that people feel a bit betrayed. The language pre-election was pretty friendly, union happily encouraged the membership to vote NDP, etc.

Things were supposed to get easier having a government at least not actively and openly hostile to the union. It was personal for Christy Clark and everyone knew it.

I almost wonder if it's a calculated thing because the NDP knows even if they play hardball, who the gently caress else are teachers going to go vote for next time around?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

The Butcher posted:

I almost wonder if it's a calculated thing because the NDP knows even if they play hardball, who the gently caress else are teachers going to go vote for next time around?

If it is the NDP might learn the hard way that spite is sometimes a wonderful motivator.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Holy poo poo what is the NDP doing?

CBC News: NDP struggling to nominate candidates as election call draws nearer.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp-nomination-candidates-1.5263840

Party says it’s confirmed 175 candidates out of 338 seats across Canada

It's a fixed election date! They have had months to get candidates! How are they this slow about it????

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

It's a fixed election date! They have had months to get candidates! How are they this slow about it????

Turns out viciously murdering any enthusiasm your base might have had has consequences?

Every Dipper I know is sitting this cycle out, myself included.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Le Mémé Quebecois s’en va en campagne électorale.

Québec news; a group of six regional newspapers recently went bankrupt. At the moment the journalists are looking at the possibility of establishing a coop while some of the larger media groups lick their chops.
« Man who drained 400 million dollars to pay for his empty stadium accuses local newspaper owners of entitlement »

The government has ruled that the parents of a child cannot request their children be removed from the classroom of a veiled teacher “We’re the ones who get to decide against whom and when it’s time to be racist damnit”

In the face of the lovely right wing majority we presently have, Quebec Solidaire announces their electoral strategy “Medium term we’re waiting on the boomers dying”

On to federal news!
“Marie Kondo recommends removing Andrew Scheer from the leader’s debate, stating “they spark no joy at all””

(In really bad rest of Canada French)
“I promise not to reopen the abortion debate. Some idiot backbencher will gladly do it for me”

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Holy poo poo what is the NDP doing?

CBC News: NDP struggling to nominate candidates as election call draws nearer.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp-nomination-candidates-1.5263840

Party says it’s confirmed 175 candidates out of 338 seats across Canada

:lol: that huge terrible quality image mid article

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Brb gonna run for the ndp

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Shoutouts to the NDP

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Yeah poo poo I'll run if they literally have no one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EvilJoven posted:

If it is the NDP might learn the hard way that spite is sometimes a wonderful motivator.

I'd like to direct your attention to the OLP and OSSTF/ETFO

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

BGrifter posted:

Turns out viciously murdering any enthusiasm your base might have had has consequences?

It's not just that they pushed away the people with actual enthusiasm for social democratic politics, they also specifically tried to attract the kind of supporter who only gets involved in politics if it can somehow enhance their career or personal brand. Turns out that kind of person doesn't hang around after the party's immediate electoral prospects turn sour. Times like this are when the NDP desperately needs True Believers in a cause, but the NDP has no cause other than getting more NDPers elected.

I don't think people fully appreciate how much Jack Layton was gambling when he professionalized the party. It was an all or nothing roll of the dice that was only going to work if the Liberal party was destroyed. Now that the Liberals have proven their resiliency the NDP effectively has no reason to justify its own existence.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

The Butcher posted:

It is pretty weird and the general buzz I'm getting is that people feel a bit betrayed. The language pre-election was pretty friendly, union happily encouraged the membership to vote NDP, etc.

Things were supposed to get easier having a government at least not actively and openly hostile to the union. It was personal for Christy Clark and everyone knew it.

Given how other portfolios (e.g.: special needs) have been handled I'm wondering if the NDP needed to clean house early on in the ministry. A combination of ineffective minister and entrenched recalcitrant upper bureaucrats can be toxic if you're trying to change corporate culture.

BGrifter posted:

Well, guess it's comforting to know it's not just me. I was going to jump ship to the Greens but the more I look at some of their neoliberal underpinings the less enthusiasm I have for trucking down to an office daily for three months.

Speaking of toxic, I picked up a copy of Naomi Klein's "This Changes Everything" today. We'll see how much I hate the world when I finish reading it. I never thought I would feel a glimmer of positivity towards prostate cancer but David Koke's death did it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As long as the NDP wins here in Manitoba.

Pallister is doing his damndest to make sure he does too:

https://twitter.com/danlett/status/1167528879310827520?s=20

:lol:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

In the 2011 Quebec orange wave the NDP wound up with a collection of new MPs from placeholder candidates that had no expectation of winning and were simply being good party soldiers I suppose.

Either the NDP is in such a bad state that they can't even find those sort of no-expectations placeholder candidates, or they're a bit in denial and holding out hope that they can some how get the sort of higher profile candidates they attracted in 2015 when it looked like they could be the next government.

The third option is that the party leadership is trying to fend off old incumbent losers like Sid Ryan and trying to insert in some hand picked younger candidates?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Vintersorg posted:

PC's no show again at a health-care debate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/health-debate-no-pallister-1.5265326

What the gently caress is with these assholes?

Conservative parties have been doing this for awhile now. It's because they are huge pieces of poo poo.

I'm trying not to be too optimistic about this election, but I feel like the NDP could actually make pretty significant gains here.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
BC Ed Chat:
Mediation has failed and talks will resume September 23. I believe this will trigger a special rep assembly where next steps will be on the table.

I keep hearing rumours about the BCTF executive being weak on job action.

Edit:
The executive would still have to respect the directions of the rep assembly if the RA is more militant but they nevertheless could be applying more pressure than they currently are.

just another fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 31, 2019

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I was involved in a candidate search this winter. Took about three months for NDP HQ to vet candidates before the nomination meeting... It wasn't a priority riding. Still.

There's a bunch of really interesting candidates, which is nice. I've seen a whole bunch of nominations announced on twitter so hopefully they'll catch up soon

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I was involved in a candidate search this winter. Took about three months for NDP HQ to vet candidates before the nomination meeting... It wasn't a priority riding. Still.

There's a bunch of really interesting candidates, which is nice. I've seen a whole bunch of nominations announced on twitter so hopefully they'll catch up soon

One in my area had a 6 month delay. Last between spring and fall 2018 they also would not even accept candidates for vetting even if there were enough to meet diversity requirements. That was a pretty critical error. Just caused a huge backlog.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Barrie-Innisfil has a good NDP candidate in Pekka Rinne Reinio, which sucks because he stands no chance in that conservative heavy riding. My riding (Barrie-Springwater) gets a new candidate since the one from the last election tanked hard due to sounding word for word like her Liberal counterpart talking about small business and tax cuts.

e: My end of town is also considered the poor end of town so the NDP candidate driving around canvasing in a brand new BMW and praising the landlords and business owners that keep everyone here living paycheck to paycheck certainly didnt help.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 31, 2019

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Canadian Federal Election 2019 - Shooting Ourselves in the Left Foot

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

I really enjoy conversations like this one because they really get into how these studies are actually constructed. As this paper notes, most of the existing literature on the minimum wage's impact on employment are using the restaurant industry as a proxy for low wage workers in general. The fact the authors tried to find an alternative dataset that was more comprehensive is really interesting and demonstrates how much of modern social science is caught up in contested definitions of what is actually being studied. I'm not sure if this paper actually picked the right approach: a city probably isn't the ideal scale to be analyzing at and besides, they end up excluding a lot of their data set anyway because the statistics on a lot of low wage occupations like home care just aren't available.

I'd be curious to know what your overall opinion on the use of the study is though. Based on what we've said so far I feel more or less affirmed in my original statement. I don't think this study supports the claim that increasing the minimum leads to "overall lower earnings on aggregate for all those who are in the minimum wage bracket". Anyone who was at the minimum wage when the policy was proposed would be almost certain to end up earning more annually under the new system, even with fewer hours worked. While it's far from idea to help out minimum wage workers at the expense of workers making only a few dollars more than them, that is a different concern than the one he raised.

Social scientists very often don’t so much pick their data as do their best to answer questions with the data they can get, so I’m not sure that here it’s so much a contested idea as “well we have data for Seattle employers let’s see what we can answer”.

You’re right that the study doesn’t show that minimum wage employees as a group earn less, and that the evidence for an overall drop in low income earner compensation is suggestive and not strong. Basically, the paper sees that total payrolls in Seattle stayed flat while they were increasing in the rest of the state, and they think that the difference is probably due to a drop in overall compensation on the low end of the income distribution. The evidence for drops in hours seems a lot clearer, though. I don’t think using this paper to argue that minimum wage increases lead to an unambiguous overall drop in compensation in the context of employment inside the Seattle city limits is a strong position, let alone trying to generalize that to other settings. It does provide pretty robust evidence about how employers respond to increases however.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

So are you fuckers going to elect the conservatives and join everyone else in the hellworld?

Does Canada even do FPTP? I know nothing of your country really.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 31, 2019

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Yeah probably. Canadians are pretty apathetic and the entire middle of our country votes for the biggest loving chud assholes possible.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Private Speech posted:

So are you fuckers going to elect the conservatives and join everyone else in the hellworld?

We're already in hellworld, friend.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Private Speech posted:

hell yah canada does FPTP

:negative:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Whiskey_Dick posted:

What about the small businesses that can't survive long enough to see the positive results? Not trying to be contrarian - I just can't fit that piece of the puzzle in to my mind.

What were their margins before the increase? If they were basically not making money, how was that a viable business?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Private Speech posted:

I have it on good authority that 2015 was the last Canadian election under FPTP

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/electoral-reform/

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's insulting they still leave that webpage up.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Should replace with this:

https://i.imgur.com/OkACgLQ.mp4

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Private Speech posted:

The difference between a liberal and a conservative is that conservatives want to kill minorities and poor people and take all their money for themselves, and liberals want to do all that too but they pretend to care about minorities and poor people for their vote.

Canada has ALWAYS been hellworld.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 31, 2019

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Venomous posted:

pretend to care about minorities Indigenous Peoples Gord Downie

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Venomous posted:

The difference between a liberal and a conservative is that conservatives want to kill minorities and poor people and take all their money for themselves, and liberals want to do all that too but they pretend to care about minorities and poor people for their vote.

Canada has ALWAYS been hellworld.

Exactly this.

If a conservative could make money burning your house down hed just torch it.

A Liberal would just pile a bunch of flammable material around it start setting fireworks off above it and whwn it caught he'd tell you how he's oh so sorry this happened.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservatives-social-policy-raitt-abortion-1.5265837

Scheer faces backlash from national anti-abortion group over mixed messaging posted:

"That's also a very negative implication for Scheer personally and morally, because it means an end to his unblemished pro-life voting record in the House of Commons," he said. "And we'd probably have to change his rating to a red light."

Poor Scheer is going to get a red light now for his new stance on abortion he had to proclaim very loudly. :allears:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Voted for the first time in my life today. No point here but I did it anyways.

Excited to do it all again in a month or whatever!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Coxswain Balls posted:

I have it on good authority that 2015 was the last Canadian election under FPTP

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/electoral-reform/

Real Change

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

littleorv posted:

No point here but I did it anyways.

The point is that you get to say "well, at least I didn't vote for the face eating leopards party" when you are getting your face eaten off by the face eating leopards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Butcher posted:

The point is that you get to say "well, at least I didn't vote for the face eating leopards party" when you are getting your face eaten off by the face eating leopards.

Plus you never really know. I mean, the voter turnout last election was 68% - if all of those non-voters decided to vote for the party that "had no chance", that party could potentially have won at least a plurality. How many of them do you think were discouraged from voting because they felt that there was no point if their party couldn't win?

So yeah, always vote, even if your preferred candidate seems like a longshot. By not voting you just guarantee it they won't win.