Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

So I guess this might not be the time to post this "best of" ISWV opinions? https://imgur.com/a/pY1bQ2d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

fritz posted:

So I guess this might not be the time to post this "best of" ISWV opinions? https://imgur.com/a/pY1bQ2d

Ah,Entry of the Gladiators kept playing in my mind while reading that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_XVntliea0

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think general awareness of the Vig Mignona situation and his position as a visible emblem of a serious problem in con culture is totally valid, I think the endless minutia about his dumbshit lawyers is pushing it in a serious way, especially when nobody seems to particularly care that T. Greg Doucette is himself a fairly lovely Never Trumper conservative and not someone whose goofs and japes I care to see on a regular basis.

I think there's a common sense line and while Mignona's abuses deserved to be exposed and talked about here, there have definitely been long stretches of time in the past few months where this has seemed like the Vic Mignona Lounge. I think this thread, at least in my ideal form, is an important and sad necessity that people post in to talk about serious problems and how to address them, and a lot of the time it is that. I think goofing on some moron fake attorney is just weird back-slapping. I'm not sure what it does for anyone.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 30, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This entire twitter thraed:

https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/1167325485967085569

for those of you who are somehow able to browse the forums and not twitter but still impatient enough to demand an explanation of what's going on, Brian Wood forced her into a kiss and aggressively e-stalked and hit on her (while he was married). Then he obviously tried to guilt her into staying quiet when Tess Fowler was speaking out against him.

https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/1167327273797615624

Brian Wood is a piece of poo poo.

I suggest looking into the video games #metoo moment happening right now if you care about abuse in that industry as well, I think it's going to keep growing as more people have the courage to come forward with their stories.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 30, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Scaramouche posted:

I was glad to read the Vic stuff here because there was no way I was going to set foot in ADTRW to see if they were discussing it

Me as well.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/NickRekieta/status/1167320838124662784

Here's the "bomb" Blackface lawyer was talking about, sounds like Funimation staff did some pretty gross NSFW joke dubs that weren't made to be public that got made just that. And it looks like they're going to try to use those to get Toei pull DBZ from Funi.

Warning Edit: I haven't clicked the links and I suggest you guys don't either, not sure about the site, but Twitter won't let me just link BFL's tweet without the links.

Anora fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 30, 2019

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Aaaaand Funimation is trending number 1 in the US. What chaps my rear end is this is retaliatory from a guy who hands down is 100% a creeper. He nor the lawyer nor give a solitary poo poo over Funimation VAs making gross jokes - if they did, they would have privately approached Funimation with it. They don’t care about homophobic humor and who it hurts, they care about their reputations, and are using this as a way to lash out against consequences for their own actions.

Regarding Wood: I knew he was a creep years ago. I can’t remember who or where I learned about it - twitter, a random forum, a comment at a convention - but chalk another one up in the “absolutely unsurprised” column.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 30, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of the more vocal anti-CG folks on Twitter wrote an article for the Mary Sue about ComicsGate and the related harassment campaigns (which also includes the Vic stuff), so EVS, TUG, Bleeding Fool have been going at length about how They're Not Mad About It And Don't Even Notice It Really.

The article is here: https://www.themarysue.com/alt-right-fandom-doxxing-harassment/ Probably nothing any of us didn't already know.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

What are they expecting here?

Judge: “Vic clearly has no case here and there is plenty of evidence he did commit sexual assault”

Bad Lawyer: “Ah yes your honor but here are some people barely related to the case saying bad things.”

Judge: “Oh poo poo” *Sends all Vic’s accusers to jail and rewards him a billion dollars*

Yeah, I realize it’s just a distraction to save face, I just don’t think it’s going to work that well long term. I think people will be talking about it, but I don’t think most people will really associate it much with Vic beyond the people who are already super into that. Outside of the “standwithvic” idiots, coverage and discussion is mostly focused on the individual accusers rather than the Funimation thing.

FWIW I don’t think Funimation are really the good guys - they kept Vic around much longer than they should have, for example, even with all the evidence he was a creep well before this whole controversy, so calling them out on stuff is fine with me if it’s not benefitting Vic. And it won’t, so we’re good!

(I haven’t actually listened to see how bad it is, but I assume it’s pretty offensive. Not because of the fact the istandwithvic people are upset about it, but because of how many are saying “this is actually pretty funny”.)

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
*Deliver book ten months late* Take that libz!

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1166487054378831872?s=20

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It took me like 10 seconds to make out what was happening in that picture, and I even was doing like half that pose (just had one hand behind my head).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

is he wearing scissors on his shoulderpad that does not seem very efficient

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

They are all acting in that thread as it is a big own.
It's hilarious (and just shows once again how naive and easy to grift those people are :v:)

IUG posted:

It took me like 10 seconds to make out what was happening in that picture, and I even was doing like half that pose (just had one hand behind my head).

I'm gonna say the bad coloring made the 90's EXXXXTREME art style a mess no one can decipher.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Wood thing should be doubly shocking because unless I'm completely mistaken a lot of his predatory and creepy behavior was completely outed almost a decade ago-- pre-2013 at least-- and yet he still was able to build a career loosely around being a "feminist" male writer (remember his all-women X-team?) I guess off the backs of Demo which always felt like a Becky Cloonan demo reel. None of us should be surprised and yet here we are because this industry inculcates such goldfish memories in us-- if you browse his wikipedia page there's no mention of abuse allegations.

Although it appears that Brandon Graham hasn't done any work in two years, so who knows, incremental change and all that, but Wood should have been out the door for good years and years ago.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
The Brian Wood stuff wasn't as open a secret as, say, the Eddie Berganza stuff. No one in my social circles suspected him of anything until Tess Fowler told her story.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The first round of detailed accusations about Wood came out in November 2013 looks like. He was writing that X-Men series at the time.

Another couple of people/stories came out the following year but I'm not finding sources for that, but Wood's last X-Men issue shipped in July 2014 and since then his comics output has been:

- Six issues of Moon Knight following up his friend Warren Ellis's "revamping" of the character (2014, overlapping with X-Men)
- Twelve issues of Starve out of Image
- I was going to say a truly staggering amount of mostly-ignored stuff out of Dark Horse, but apparently the licensed books he's been pumping out have come from all over the place

Robocop at Boom Studios
John Carter at Dynamite
Robotech at Titan
Terminator, Aliens, EVE, and various creator-owned projects at Dark Horse

I was under the impression he was persona non grata pretty much everywhere but Dark Horse, but even that doesn't seem to be true. It's mostly Dark Horse keeping him in business, though.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I remember collecting The Massive around that time, and being disgusted enough to drop it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

You know, this looks like a Rob liefeld comic. Like the proportion seem all off and it's really hard to make out what's happening. He used to actually be a better artist, but isn't like you can clearly make out what's going on anymore. I think living in his home for the last 10 months while cutting up Captain Marvel figurines and huffing right-wing propaganda hurt his art.

All of that said, an issue that I can see is that the comic art books good enough it's not going to have the same effect that Meyer's poo poo did. Because those books had such atrocious Art & storytelling that was easy to show people that it was bad and laugh at it. This looks like it's going to be just good enough that you probably could convince some people the comic isn't terrible. I don't really think that's going to get them anything, but it's worth bringing up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shipping to where though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Edge & Christian posted:

The first round of detailed accusations about Wood came out in November 2013 looks like. He was writing that X-Men series at the time.

Another couple of people/stories came out the following year but I'm not finding sources for that, but Wood's last X-Men issue shipped in July 2014 and since then his comics output has been:

- Six issues of Moon Knight following up his friend Warren Ellis's "revamping" of the character (2014, overlapping with X-Men)
- Twelve issues of Starve out of Image
- I was going to say a truly staggering amount of mostly-ignored stuff out of Dark Horse, but apparently the licensed books he's been pumping out have come from all over the place

Robocop at Boom Studios
John Carter at Dynamite
Robotech at Titan
Terminator, Aliens, EVE, and various creator-owned projects at Dark Horse

I was under the impression he was persona non grata pretty much everywhere but Dark Horse, but even that doesn't seem to be true. It's mostly Dark Horse keeping him in business, though.

He's persona non grata at DC because of Starve.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jedit posted:

He's persona non grata at DC because of Starve.

What's the story behind that? Was it supposed to be a Vertigo book or something?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

My understanding is that he pitched it to Vertigo but they had already committed to Anthony Bourdain's cooking/action graphic novel, so they passed. I don't know if Vertigo would be mad that he decided to publish it through Image, but there's also the fact that they've basically fired everyone involved with Vertigo before during or after that process and shuttered the imprint, so I have no idea if that would keep him from getting to write Tales From the Dark Multiverse: Bloodlines But All of the Aliens Are Also Batman or whatever.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Shipping to where though.

A different fandom would have shipped Cyberfrog with before EVS could ship Cyberfrog to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why would you ever record this kind of thing. Didn't anyone learn from Nixon?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tame Impala's making comics now? Neat!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Were PDF copies a reward tier?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Lurdiak posted:

Why would you ever record this kind of thing. Didn't anyone learn from Nixon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftU5GfORvH8

Voiceacting have a long tradition of doing weird improv or loving up lines during long stressful sessions. A lot of times these moments get packed to show stuff at events, cons and dvd extras.

I havn't seen the video but I assume a lot of the dub actors that have voiced DBZ for 20 years are probably old shits that have some lovely improvise humor and throw slurs around all fun.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hostile V posted:

Tame Impala's making comics now? Neat!

Morrison adapting some of the stuff on Currents would be a pretty good fit, now that you have me pondering this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

This entire twitter thraed:

https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/1167325485967085569

for those of you who are somehow able to browse the forums and not twitter but still impatient enough to demand an explanation of what's going on, Brian Wood forced her into a kiss and aggressively e-stalked and hit on her (while he was married). Then he obviously tried to guilt her into staying quiet when Tess Fowler was speaking out against him.

https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/1167327273797615624

Brian Wood is a piece of poo poo.

I suggest looking into the video games #metoo moment happening right now if you care about abuse in that industry as well, I think it's going to keep growing as more people have the courage to come forward with their stories.

And Brian Wood is poo poo canned from Dark Horse

https://twitter.com/comicsbeat/status/1167573067024850944?s=19

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

And Brian Wood is poo poo canned from Dark Horse

https://twitter.com/comicsbeat/status/1167573067024850944?s=19

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Way past due. Just like with Scott Allie, DH takes ten times as long to react as other publishers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Way past due. Just like with Scott Allie, DH takes ten times as long to react as other publishers.

Was that the guy who'd get drunk and bite people?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Was that the guy who'd get drunk and bite people?

No that was Eddie Berganza, and that was DC keeping him employed for a dog's age after the allegations came out.

I do enjoy that his wikipedia page calls him a "former comics writer and editor."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

No, Scott Allie was in fact the guy who would get drunk and bite people, as covered on his Wikipedia page. Berganza's stuff was much more garden variety sexual harassment of co-workers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

No that was Eddie Berganza, and that was DC keeping him employed for a dog's age after the allegations came out.

I do enjoy that his wikipedia page calls him a "former comics writer and editor."

No, Berganza was a serial sexual harasser who kept getting promoted and was the main reason no women worked in the Superman office for many, many years. Scott Allie was the biter.

quote:

In October 2015, Allie was accused of groping and biting one individual and engaging in other questionable behavior at the 2015 San Diego Comic-Con International convention in San Diego.[10] Allie subsequently issued a statement apologizing for unspecified behavior there and saying he was "completely embarrassed by my actions and how my behavior reflects on Dark Horse Comics."[11] Dark Horse publisher Mike Richardson issued a statement saying he and Dark Horse took the reported incidents "very seriously" and that, "In this particular case, action was taken immediately".[12]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My bad. All these sex perverts bleed together.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lurdiak posted:

All these sex perverts bleed together.
If only...

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
So uhhh Vic's defense is....

https://twitter.com/CriticalReikan/status/1167834479311740928?s=20

https://twitter.com/CriticalReikan/status/1167847387672432640?s=20

"Your honor, she was begging for it!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guess which sex pest was in an episode of Panty and Stocking? Shhh. Let it be a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just a heads up, the person who was accused of the abuse that led to the "games industry #metoo" movement that's been happening for the past week committed suicide. This is going to be weaponized by really disingenuous people any time an accusation pops up for years to come. So get ready for that poo poo.

And for the record it is genuinely sad that this guy killed himself despite his horrible behavior.