Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

So I'm seeing a lot of sword of light and shadow in modern, where in legacy fire and ice is the norm. What's the reason for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Some of it definitely has to do with path to exile and fatal push being the two main removal spells in modern

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

teddust posted:

So I'm seeing a lot of sword of light and shadow in modern, where in legacy fire and ice is the norm. What's the reason for that?

Common removal types in the meta. But who the gently caress knows what the meta is after the B&R shakeup?

Efb

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

uggy posted:

Some of it definitely has to do with path to exile and fatal push being the two main removal spells in modern

Looking at what they published in the 5-0s there was more Batterskull and fire and ice. You have the removal lottery with war and peace, sinew and steel, and light and shadow. There isn't a dominant enough color in modern to get it right every time, especially when there are many colorless decks as well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Lot of people want to play with stoneforge which means lot of people want to play with path which means you want protection from path. I think whether you play the white/black sword or white/red sword prob comes down to which effects you'd rather proc

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Drawing a card and dealing damage are the two greatest pleasures in magic, so I'd always play with fire and ice first personally

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

mandatory lesbian posted:

Drawing a card and dealing damage are the two greatest pleasures in magic, so I'd always play with fire and ice first personally

fire and ice is so good

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
On Vs Live Dylan Donegan was explaining that Fire and ice is good if you don't have so much cars advantage in your deck while Feast and Famine is better if you have countermagic since you can play something then untap your lands. They said War and Peace is good for aggro I think? They thought Light and Shadow was worse than those three.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Light and Shadow is good in grindy matchups since you can get back creatures from your graveyard and gain life. Plus it's pseudo protection from red if the creature you equip it to have at least 2 toughness.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

smertrioslol posted:

Got a list? I’m assuming lightning helix is played over smiting helix now that faithless looting is gone and dreadhorde arcanist gets swole with a sword. Which sucks, cause I don’t have lightning helix.

https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/Owof6HBFHG That's this list and then another variant he played last night apparently:
https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/mnz8aIk2L

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

teddust posted:

True-Name.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Delver too!

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Turns out I've had two swords of fire and ice sitting in my closet for years. Having never sold cards before, is my best bet for selling these just calling my LGS and seeing if they'll buy them?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ptroll posted:

Turns out I've had two swords of fire and ice sitting in my closet for years. Having never sold cards before, is my best bet for selling these just calling my LGS and seeing if they'll buy them?

Sell them to goons in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There's an Elementals deck doing battle with Esper Control on the SCG stream currently.

Turns out that Harbinger of Flame + Risen Reef is just a demonic tutor for any elemental you want.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MrBling posted:

There's an Elementals deck doing battle with Esper Control on the SCG stream currently.

Turns out that Harbinger of Flame + Risen Reef is just a demonic tutor for any elemental you want.

You mean flamekin harbinger?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
yeah that one. Elemental Hamburger.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

GoutPatrol posted:

Looking at what they published in the 5-0s there was more Batterskull and fire and ice. You have the removal lottery with war and peace, sinew and steel, and light and shadow. There isn't a dominant enough color in modern to get it right every time, especially when there are many colorless decks as well.

The 5-0s aren't a good source for this. If someone 5-0d with a similar deck with a different equipment package it wouldn't show up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

neaden posted:

The 5-0s aren't a good source for this. If someone 5-0d with a similar deck with a different equipment package it wouldn't show up.

Thank god for data obfuscation!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Watching this second round match at SCG with stone blade v whirza and, uh

Bring back hogaak

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
this looks like good fun magic as richard garfield intended it

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Jabor posted:

this looks like good fun magic as richard garfield intended it

Yo ante your volcanic island. I'll ante my saber ants.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

I loving love Omni draft. 4-0 with this pile.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
You guys being against fetches will never stop being funny. They aren't ever going away. They sell too many packs. Deal with it. :laffo:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

You guys being against fetches will never stop being funny. They aren't ever going away. They sell too many packs. Deal with it. :laffo:

well they don't sell many packs when they don't bother putting the loving things in packs

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

well they don't sell many packs when they don't bother putting the loving things in packs

We are due a printing for sure, but the last set wasn't technically that long ago. I am sure an exec somewhere is looking for the next big paper cash register and printing fetches is always that.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I don't think a card set they've only sold in five sets (Onslaught, Khans, Fate for originals, Zendikar and MM2017 for enemy) are exactly bank cards Wizards is intending to print money on. Occasionally you get a pack boom but these days notable reprints are more likely to sell supplementary product then booster packs.

At the very least, I suspect classic Fetches will never be reprinted within the same Standard as any dual-land with basic types again, because they too remember Tarkir/Zendikar standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Can you try posting without being a big ol’ fuckwad about it every once in a while?

How many sets have Shocks been in at this point? Is it 8?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i was hoping we’d get at least a couple of teaser spoilers this weekend. come on WOTC!!! Feed the maw!!!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Can you try posting without being a big ol’ fuckwad about it every once in a while?

The shocks were in each ravnica block, not counting expeditions.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

As long as you are a big ol' whiny poo poo about it you might as well deal with that too.

3 for shocks vs 2 for fetches. The big difference is that WOTC chose to juice us with a masters set printing instead of standard.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 31, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i was hoping we’d get at least a couple of teaser spoilers this weekend. come on WOTC!!! Feed the maw!!!

Isn't it PAX this weekend? We should get a few spoilers when Wizards does their PAX panel.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kjermzs posted:

I loving love Omni draft. 4-0 with this pile.

Thanks for the reminder! Combo drafting :getin:

Angelic Gift + Portal of Sanctuary is a hoser, even moreso with Manifold Key and Season of Growth. Do not attempt unless you have a Loaming Shaman for self-mill protection!

My only regret is that I never got to use Golos's ability, enabled by the singleton Renowned Weaponsmith

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Isn't it PAX this weekend? We should get a few spoilers when Wizards does their PAX panel.

There's no PAX panel.

Edit: But spoilers start Monday.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 31, 2019

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Seeing as how Historic will never have fetches and WotC is going to push it as the next big format, I'm not sure what the argument for fetches is.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

moush posted:

Seeing as how Historic will never have fetches and WotC is going to push it as the next big format, I'm not sure what the argument for fetches is.

I’m sorry did you not read the thread recently where mtg was going to kill historic live on screen, in front of its parents, modern and extended

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

uggy posted:

I’m sorry did you not read the thread recently where mtg was going to kill historic live on screen, in front of its parents, modern and extended

Much like how Arena died when they made multiple incredibly anti-consumer decisions? I think they'll run back the lovely 2 for 1 idea and it will become at least moderately successful. The second they print brainstorm into it, I'm sure a lot of people will forget the hate and jam.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Marshall_LR/status/1167875219437932544?s=19

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

moush posted:

Did they say never or is this some weird guess? Arena is the easiest place to do fetch lands mechanically. It’s fast as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They'll end up in standard again eventually too I'm sure.