Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I worked in a Turkish kitchen every summer for years and we went through a shitload of aubergine cooked in every way possible there. Brining the sliced aubergines for half an hour or so then deep frying them worked well and they weren't too greasy at the end. No idea what variety of aubergine they were, whatever they were growing in the local villages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Paperhouse posted:

I want to cook for someone, but I only have one hob + a rice cooker and they also aren't particularly into western food (I'm in Vietnam). I don't cook a lot of Asian food because it's so cheap to just go out and eat it here but since that's probably my best bet, anyone got any recipe ideas?

Steak fried rice?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Anybody got any coffee maker recommendations?
I want to have the option to fill a 7" 20 oz travel mug or a carafe.
I don't want to have to buy k-cups or pods.
I want it to make good coffee.
I want it to be easy to clean.
I'd prefer a programmable machine but it's not a necessity.

I'm looking at the hamilton beach 49980 or maybe a refurb thermal carafe moccamaster.

Anybody have any opinions on these or a recommendation for a coffee maker you really love?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Buttermilk is not being used. It's a little bit of both, I'm slightly lactose intolerant so don't have milk in the house, but I do occasionally buy some for baking. I'll just give it a shot

On a side note, try the Lactaid lactose-free milk. It's a little sweeter tasting then regular milk, but works fine in most recipes and tastes a lot closer.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

fart store posted:

Anybody got any coffee maker recommendations?
I want to have the option to fill a 7" 20 oz travel mug or a carafe.
I don't want to have to buy k-cups or pods.
I want it to make good coffee.
I want it to be easy to clean.
I'd prefer a programmable machine but it's not a necessity.

I'm looking at the hamilton beach 49980 or maybe a refurb thermal carafe moccamaster.

Anybody have any opinions on these or a recommendation for a coffee maker you really love?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NMJD6DE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using this as my drip machine for... 3 or 4 years?

You could just do a pourover straight into your mug/carafe with 0 cleanup and cheap.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
clever dripper. cheap, portable and tastes incredible, especially if you take the time to grind your coffee right before brewing (you should do this no matter which type of coffee maker you get).

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 27, 2019

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
thanks for the recommendos

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Hey guys I opened a wheel of camembert that's been in my fridge for a few months because I noticed the best before date is in three days. It lost all of its white fluffy mold and tastes exactly like roquefort now. Is that the natural taste evolution, or am I poisoning myself with this sandwich?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

goblin week posted:

Hey guys I opened a wheel of camembert that's been in my fridge for a few months because I noticed the best before date is in three days. It lost all of its white fluffy mold and tastes exactly like roquefort now. Is that the natural taste evolution, or am I poisoning myself with this sandwich?

If it tastes good, eat it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hear death caps are actually delicious.

The folk wisdom I always heard about cheese is that it doesn't really go bad, just turns into different cheese.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I tried making homemade tofu again and it wouldn’t coagulate this time despite me putting in 4x the coagulant.

Is it possible to overblend the soybeans in a vitamix?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

goblin week posted:

the best before date is in three days

It’s fine

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have an excess of extremely ripe figs and no-one but me likes them in my house. Is there some way I can preserve them?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Fig jam!
https://www.thespruceeats.com/homemade-fresh-fig-jam-3057845

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Scientastic posted:

I have an excess of extremely ripe figs and no-one but me likes them in my house. Is there some way I can preserve them?

Nope. Send them to me on dry ice. It's your only recourse.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

The classic approach is to (water bath) can them in a simple syrup.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Fig preserves?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Fig chutney would be nice too.

My parents used to have a glut of figs from their fig tree each year, and edend up making fig sorbet out of them. Very delicious.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Can you dehydrate them? Dried figs are a thing...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I made the fig jam: it seems like a good way to preserve them for lots of other uses.

Including making fig ice cream, which I immediately did.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Can i3 use a pound cake, or angelfood cake, or traditional southern buttermilk biscuits for making a strawberry shortcake?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yes

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok, but which is better?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Scientastic posted:

I made the fig jam: it seems like a good way to preserve them for lots of other uses.

Including making fig ice cream, which I immediately did.

great, now do the stuffed pork loin out of ad hoc with fennel & fig jam, it's fantastic

we do it sous vide then torch to finish, but roasting works great too

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Bananana posted:

Ok, but which is better?
Have you considered Krispy Kreme?

Pound cake or angel food cake would be more like shortcake.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Angel food is my personal preference, but all three are good and have their merits, so like most food things it is really a matter of taste.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

The Bananana posted:

Ok, but which is better?

If you use biscuits you better make sure they are good by themselves. I was served shortcake with what felt like day-old biscuits and it was sad.

I personally like angelfood cake best, if I don't have time to make drop biscuits. I don't like strawberry shortcake to be overly sweet though.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Angel food will be light and fluffy and with a mild but noticable flavor. I think angel food is just a really good texture and it is the best suited for the simplest interpretation of strawberry shortcake, with strawberries, a touch or syrup and fresh whipped cream, but also lends itself well to more complicated takes.

Pound cake is pretty similar but will have a denser, heavier, firmer texture. This probably pairs a bit better with ice cream, especially if you don't like your cake to get soggy and soft.

Biscuit is the least traditional but still good. It kind of falls into a weird almost inbetween texturally with a crusty outside but a soft, light inside, and depending on your recipe it also adds a nice butteriness and/or saltiness that can really compliment everything else going on in the dish. I agree they need to be good quality biscuits served fresh, and I also think they pretty much have to be served open face with ice cream and lots of strawberry, because otherwise it will feel more like a buscuit with jam made by someone who doesn't actually understand what jam is.

Whichever description sounded best to you is the one you should pick.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I don't know about traditional, but the earliest known recipes for shortcake, dating to the late 16th Century, look more like a sweetened biscuit than anything else. Angelfood didn't come along until the mid 19th Century.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

effika posted:

If you use biscuits you better make sure they are good by themselves. I was served shortcake with what felt like day-old biscuits and it was sad.

Anytime I've been served the biscuit version in a restaurant, I've been disappointed...

For me, shortcake or angel food, or go home.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 31, 2019

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Strawberry shortcake is like 95% disappointing. I assume that, if you care enough to make it well, almost nobody will pay that much for a simple dessert. i've probably passed up a few that were really good, just based on price.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I would say that proper strawberry shortcake uses sponge cake for the baked layer. It’s a little denser than angel food, easier to make, and is better at soaking up the juice without getting mushy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Guys, it's called strawberry shortcake, not strawberry angel food. Let that be a hint.

I recommend cream biscuits.

I also recommend berries that aren't strawberries -- like raspberries or blackberries -- and way less macerated than usual.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Thank you, everybody,

We had a nice LAbor day cookout, and everyone enjoyed the "Strawberry Angelfood cake" as someone put it.
Lol.

In the end, I'll tell you I had a Fancy Pants version, with something that looked liked regular-rear end biscuits, at a nicer restarant once, and it was pretty good. What we had was okay, in my opinion, but I think I'd like to have a go at making the real deal.

But I loved seeing and reading all of you guy's and gals's opinions and advice! it's one of the coolest things about being on these great forums.

Cheers!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Anne Whateley posted:

Guys, it's called strawberry shortcake, not strawberry angel food. Let that be a hint.

I recommend cream biscuits.

I also recommend berries that aren't strawberries -- like raspberries or blackberries -- and way less macerated than usual.

Guys, it's called strawberry shortcake, not "berries that aren't strawberry" cake. Let that be a hint. :colbert:

I love all berries and those sound delightful too

I 100% agree on cream biscuits, though, those are delicious.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree, using other berries makes it a totally different thing...but a better one. It's a hot take and I'm standing by it

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Peaches make a good shortcake too.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a surfeit of dry white soybeans. Can I cook them use them in a white bean salad as if they were cannellini, or are they a bit flavourless in their unprocessed form?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve never eaten them as just cooked beans but homemade tofu is ridiculously better than storebought tofu so chances are decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
This recipe scares but also intrigues me. Especially the cream cheese. Will that actually work? https://thestayathomechef.com/garlic-mashed-potatoes/