Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bowsette?
This poll is closed.
Yes 70 39.11%
no 28 15.64%
maybe? 15 8.38%
Yes I'm phoning this one in. 66 36.87%
Total: 179 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

nitw is about existential desolation and the collapse of the social contract, which appeals just fine regardless of location

Yeah, I'm not even American and I found the game extremely ~~relatable~~ and well written despite where its set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Godamnit there's so many mods and updates for EU4 that it's scaring me away from playing the base game for the first time in 4 years.
So I'm stuck here beautifying my CK2 game with flags and shields.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I definitely got more out of Night in the Woods from having lived here in Johnstown for about a decade now and knowing its history and knowing about how much shitheads like Frick hosed the town up with his anti-union stance, his role in the great flood that completely ruined the town and destroyed so much of it, his hiring of pinkertons to shoot up strikers, etc.

I'm sure others were able to get a good sense of what the game was going for even if they didn't specifically live in and weren't familiar with the history of places like Johnstown and the surrounding Greensburg, Altoona, Pittsburgh, etc.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Disposable Scud posted:

Man Of Medan better get good.

Played the first half. Its decent but i think until dawn was much more impressive.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the events of night in the woods are definitely steeped in northeastern rust belt culture but its main theme and dominant image is "the hole in the center of everything," the impending sense that the world is on the verge of utter collapse and what people choose to do when faced with that understanding

and this is something that everyone, everywhere can relate to if they bother to think about it for five minutes

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Pylons posted:

Shogun 2 has the simplest roster and the best map.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I'd second Shogun 2 as a good starting point.

Sounds good. I feel like I just need to get a handle of the basics and the rest should fall into place.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

the events of night in the woods are definitely steeped in northeastern rust belt culture but its main theme and dominant image is "the hole in the center of everything," the impending sense that the world is on the verge of utter collapse and what people choose to do when faced with that understanding

and this is something that everyone, everywhere can relate to if they bother to think about it for five minutes

It's a game about posting on the internet? :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's this loud popping noise that keeps echoing in the distance at night and its happening so often its starting to piss me off.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Fireworks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Grapplejack posted:

Playing through it I felt like it was specifically aimed at people who lived in or around western PA so they'd know exactly what the NitW town is. idk if you get the same thing if you live in california or texas or w/e

I live in Florida, and like in Orlando at the time of playing it. It doesn't matter really. NITW hit me REALLY hard, and I identified a lot with Bea

Edit: though the setting probably also resonated with me a lot cause I despise this garbage hell state and would move to a similar location as NITW or the Pacific Northwest so fast I'd leave a fire trail behind me if I could afford to

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 1, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

Fireworks

who the gently caress is doing fireworks from 8 pm to 1 am

I hate you. Stop it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I live in Florida, and like in Orlando at the time of playing it. It doesn't matter really. NITW hit me REALLY hard, and I identified a lot with Bea

Edit: though the setting probably also resonated with me a lot cause I despise this garbage hell state and would move to a similar location as NITW or the Pacific Northwest so fast I'd leave a fire trail behind me if I could afford to

wow it sounds like you just want to die anywhere else

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oxxidation posted:

wow it sounds like you just want to die anywhere else

:hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Personally NITW didn't hit me at all since Finland is a pretty nice place all things considered and I've had a easy life in general.

I still had no problem empathizing with the characters in the game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

who the gently caress is doing fireworks from 8 pm to 1 am

I hate you. Stop it.

Settle down, it might just be gunshots

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ScrubQuotesX/status/1167972616864292864

games reviewers lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Was at PAX West today, and I attended the panel talk by Obsidian Games writing staff on the Outer Worlds. I made friends with one of the writers during the development of Pillars of Eternity II, and we have stayed in touch ever since, today I got to meet them for the first time. They gave me this as a gift. :3:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao, I like the response to that tweet proving that the writer of the review set the game to the Unchained difficulty, which does all of the combat for you. I will fully admit I play Platinums games like this, all of their current gen games, and Bayonetta series, and Metal Gear Rising, have this accessibility feature. Since I use it though, that just means i'm never going to comment on the state of their games combat mechanics, other then on a superficial level (the action in their games is loving awesome looking).

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I would actually like to hear what people think of Astral Chain so far. The positive Kotaku review talks about how they liked roaming the city and doing side activities like moving boxes or something? And that there wasn't much combat. All which sounds terribly boring and the complete opposite of what I want from a Platinum game. The Waypoint review went more into the combat and said it was very simple and you can go through the whole game with the starting equipment so there wasn't much point in experimentation. Pre-release videos I've seen make it look like Nier Automata 1.5 which would make sense since it's Platinum's only game that sold more than 10 copies, but their weakest in terms of gameplay.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

GUI posted:

I would actually like to hear what people think of Astral Chain so far. The positive Kotaku review talks about how they liked roaming the city and doing side activities like moving boxes or something? And that there wasn't much combat. All which sounds terribly boring and the complete opposite of what I want from a Platinum game. The Waypoint review went more into the combat and said it was very simple and you can go through the whole game with the starting equipment so there wasn't much point in experimentation. Pre-release videos I've seen make it look like Nier Automata 1.5 which would make sense since it's Platinum's only game that sold more than 10 copies, but their weakest in terms of gameplay.

I've played for a good bit, and I'm finally starting to get a feel for the combat. The starting legion is definitely the most versatile and powerful one but the others have their place. There are abilities you can equip that are like the "automatic" chips from N:A that would likely make getting S+ ranks a whole lot easier but I'm not using those because the combat is fun. It can sometimes be a bit difficult to tell what's going on, but I found that fixed camera mode helped with that. It's relatively easy to keep your health up by abusing the "finishing moves", and the game does also hand you a lot of healing items. The way I'd put it is it seems like it's very generous with how it ranks you, but as far as the complexity of the combat it's probably the deepest Platinum has done. You just don't need to do it if you don't want to.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, it's literally about (end game spoilers) a bunch of old people willingly sacrificing the "undesirables" such as the impoverished because a loud voice keeps telling them it can make their town great again as long as they trust it and keep feeding it, regardless of the fact that it is arguable that the town was never great to begin with given its history that these old people are pining so hard for

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GUI posted:

It's definitely more hub world style action rpg than a pure brawler like DMC or Bayonetta. The combat is kinda simple too. IMO the visual design can be a bit busy and messy too. Like you said, it's Nier Automata 1.5 but with more pointless stuff that isn't combat added in. How much or little you value that will probably affect how much you like the game.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Here's to hoping September's less lovely for me than last month! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pMNoHwDPGw

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Playing the first Dead To Rights now for the first time since...2002. Some of it aged poorly but I am surprised to discover this is a genuine shot at an AAA game. Both sequels were straight B games.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be fair, they really, really wanted to compete with Max Payne. I was emulating the games a while ago and they had a really solid Christopher Walken impersonator, maybe I should come back to them.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

GUI posted:

I think a lot of reviewers set it to the lowest, default difficulty which results in a game that isn't heavy on the combat and doesn't require that you get good at it. This is because you don't set the difficultly when you start the game, it goes right into the opening cutscene and sets you to an easy difficulty. The game asks you between cases "do you want to stay on this difficulty" but apparently reviewers missed this lol. The combat opens up a lot in the higher difficulty, it's still easy but there's a grading system that reveals all the nuances. If you like Platinum combat it's way closer to what you want than Nier A.

I heard beforehand that it was an open world thing but unless something changes late in the game it's not that at all. It's a linear game where sometimes what you're doing is exploring an area that has side things, but as soon as you decide to move on you don't go back. That's not a problem, it's really well paced in how it reveals the world with no-fat. Locations are compact but really fun to explore and sometimes return to.

Every "Legion" you unlock has a power that's useful in combat but also is useful to solve like, zelda style puzzles. Some you need to progress, some are side things that lead to secrets. I liked those a lot.

The director called it halfway between Bayonetta and Nier:A in style and that's basically what you're getting. It's closer to Bayo combat than Nier:A was and it's also linear in structure, but it's an RPG like Nier: A. And yea it's executed real well. If that sounds appealing grab it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would like to say thank you to Endorph, Cheetah7071, Araxxor, Samuringa, Phantasium, Oddium and Mutata. I will endeavour to try and add a little more US Kirby to my mannerisms when required!

This month, gamewise, if I make it through most of my PS4 list (which might be tough as I have: The Last Guardian, The Last of Us Remastered, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Witcher 3 (Which I am still trying to decide between PS4 version and PC version) then I would like to try Link's Awakening, Control, Torchlight console edition and also give Monster Hunter World another shot!

It is a super time to be interested in games :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GUI posted:

I just beat mission 2 about 5 mins ago on p* standard difficulty and i have thoughts:

The camera is awful but thats standard for p*. Its very low to the gound so things get in the way, especially any AI teammates with you who wander over with their legions and fill the screen with blue and white bodies that confused me a lot.

Combat is good and challenging but so far all there is to it is tapping fire while waiting to be attacked, dodging correctly for the counter, and running your legion in a circle so you can trap enemies or making a clothesline that knocks them down and beating them with your stick. Im sure it goes places from here but theres no combos ive found like other games theyve made

The world outside combat missions so far is just the police station which has a lot of goofy characters to talk to and do errands for. Im sure it goes places. The missions have be standard levels with secrets. I found a dumpster with a cat yelling inside but i dont think i have the right tool to save him yet.

Its not really like nier that much.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I only ever saw the first Astral Chain trailer. Is the combat in it just fancy acrobatics or do you have a jojo stand that is part of your attacks or what?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VideoGames posted:

I would like to say thank you to Endorph, Cheetah7071, Araxxor, Samuringa, Phantasium, Oddium and Mutata. I will endeavour to try and add a little more US Kirby to my mannerisms when required!

This month, gamewise, if I make it through most of my PS4 list (which might be tough as I have: The Last Guardian, The Last of Us Remastered, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Witcher 3 (Which I am still trying to decide between PS4 version and PC version) then I would like to try Link's Awakening, Control, Torchlight console edition and also give Monster Hunter World another shot!

It is a super time to be interested in games :)

was your av always western kirby or did you change it again right away

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

was your av always western kirby or did you change it again right away

This current one was always western Kirby. Previous ones were more EU/JPN. (There has been over 50 of them!)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Iceborne, Iceborne, Iceborne

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So after putting it down for a long while, I got back to The Surge after getting all the DLC for it.

Incredibly strange to go from this super serious horror setting to stomping around a grayscale Wild West-themed simulator while wearing a soda can for a helmet while all my fancy executions get covered up by old timey silent movie screen text.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Is september the month where I finally play Yakuza and sekiro ? or is september where I get de[rpessed and rewatch Lost ? excited to find out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I saw Rocky Horror for the first time and it was okay except everyone was loving talking.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways I'm 20 hours into Kingdom Come: Deliverance and that's enough to do a midway review.

My tl;dr review is that it's not the type of game I'd want to see a million copycats of (except for the historical setting, I think historical fiction is sorely underrepresented in video games), but everything is does serves a cohesive vision and fits into a whole that is greater than the sum of its somewhat-janky parts. It does its best to immerse you in the world of 15th century Bohemia, and 15th century Bohemia loving sucked, so this game loving sucks too, but in a really fascinating way that I want to experience more of. Like, for example, there's an early series of quests where you interact a lot with an rear end in a top hat noble. One of the morals of the story is "don't sass nobles, even when they deserve it". A very 15th century moral. This guy is never going to get his comeuppance because that would be breaking the setting. There's a ton of minor gameplay things that feel like this too--a bit jarring, but heightening the sense of immersion. Like there's a mechanic where your clothes get dirty and you start to smell and the only way to fix it is to pay for a bath at the public baths, which are only in major towns and it's a whole big hassle. It's a rough edge, gameplay-wise, but it really drives home the idea that this is a smelly world I'm living it because getting clean is a pain in the rear end. Your character starts the game illiterate, which ultimately doesn't serve much of a purpose but just reminds you that a random blacksmith's son would be illiterate. The combat system is set up so that you're probably hosed if you face a better-armored opponent, and definitely hosed if you're ever outnumbered. So the question of "should I fight here?", so easily answered "yes" in so many games, is a real question in this one.

This is mostly what I'm talking about when I say that I think the game works, but I wouldn't want a bunch of copycats. It's janky as gently caress but the jank is in service to a cohesive vision, and it's a vision I enjoy participating in.

My biggest complaint is that it's a set character style WRPG like The Witcher, but the main character isn't a very likable person. But even then, at least for me, there's a silver lining--I would never intentionally play a dumbass teen meathead jock, but being forced to play one is kinda neat and refreshing once in a while. Gets me out of my comfort zone. The game would probably be better if you had a little more freedom to make Henry be someone you'd actually enjoy spending time with, but it isn't ruining the game for me.

My biggest praise for it is that all the quests are very high concept, and care more about scenario than gameplay. What I mean by that is that it feels like the writers came up with cool quest ideas and then the gameplay designers fit it into the existing systems. This ends up meaning that there's no obligation for every quest to hit the core gameplay. Like, in Skyrim, 90%+ of quests involve combat, and probably more than 3/4 of quests have you exploring a dungeon, because combat and dungeons are the core gameplay of the game. In this game, there's no sense of what the "core gameplay" is so you get neat things like watching some women trying to be witches and getting high as gently caress in an attempt to summon lucifer, and then being so drat high they think you're him when you walk in (and then you accidentally get high too because the drug is topical and all over their hands). I did that quest in the same hour as one where I bullshitted my way through giving mass because the priest was too hungover. Lots of cool ideas that are basically rough edges that many modern games would smooth out, but add a lot of fun when they're left in, despite their roughness.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Personally NITW didn't hit me at all since Finland is a pretty nice place all things considered and I've had a easy life in general.

I still had no problem empathizing with the characters in the game.

Just out of curiosity, how close to home does My Summer Car hit in contrast?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Just out of curiosity, how close to home does My Summer Car hit in contrast?

It is 100% accurate.

Like for real, the guy who made that obviously grew up in the finnish countryside just like I did

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gonna repost a big effortpost I made in the NitW thread here;

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey, I've never played NitW and only really following this thread to keep relevant, but wanted to respond to some of the gloom in this thread.

I agree that social media is a mess. There's a lot of stupid poo poo on it. A lot of really dumb and extremely destructive phenomenon that people can be subjected too. I don't even use twitter just because it can get so ugly, on top of a lot of personal problems I have with it.

But something important to remember; the only reason we know about a lot of the awful poo poo going on is because of social media. The power for information to be spread has never been stronger. Yes, that information can be false, but anyone getting information from one source was always at risk of being fed lies. For the first time, a lot of people have the ability to actually seek out different sides to stories. Whether they chose to do so is another matter entirely... but the point is, that option exists for people that never had it now.

There's a lot of ugly in this world. There's a lot of good as well. I won't pretend I know if that good can ultimately overcome the ugly. But we have the ability to actually see this ugliness and not be overtaken by it. Its definitely hard, but its the only way to live a good life. If you feel overwhelmed by this all then just walk away for a bit. Enjoy what you have. Remind yourself of the little things that make your life worthwhile. There's no reason you have to face all the bile out there constantly.

Humans have always had the capacity to be irrational, callous, and cruel. I don't think social media has amplified this; it only gives us the opportunity to be more aware of it. And as social progress has slowly moved forward, a lot of good can be spread through it as well. So don't fall into the hole of thinking that its all wretched and horrible.

I'm not trying to be preachy. I just see a lot of people on SA who are totally forlorn, and I certainly have been one of em. Who hasn't been at some point with how recent years have gone? But doing your best to shift your mentality can do wonders for your mental health.

Life can be real lovely, but it can also be really good. Anytime I have a chance to enjoy the good parts, I'm thankful for it. Don't let all the awful stuff in the world ruin everything for you.

Like videogames! Videogames can always be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Is september the month where I finally play Yakuza and sekiro ? or is september where I get de[rpessed and rewatch Lost ? excited to find out.
i've had the chronological fan edit of lost sitting on my harddrive for like, 10 years now. one day I'm gonna watch it...