Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
The shortage is only getting worse in that timeframe, I'm really jealous of today's aviators. When I graduated school first year pay was under 15k so I couldn't see any way to do it and live. Now I think it's back to being a viable career. Pay is the only actual barometer for demand, and it has actually started to climb!

Really though, I love all you folks going pro. Flying with e.pilot was an eye opener for what that level of experience means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.

Dalrain posted:

The shortage is only getting worse in that timeframe, I'm really jealous of today's aviators. When I graduated school first year pay was under 15k so I couldn't see any way to do it and live. Now I think it's back to being a viable career. Pay is the only actual barometer for demand, and it has actually started to climb!

Really though, I love all you folks going pro. Flying with e.pilot was an eye opener for what that level of experience means.

That is really reassuring to here. Only question is where is the most ideal place to learn how to fly?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in the air i'd say

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

in the air i'd say

If you're a bird

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sitting in my computer chair with a stupid headset on making my own whooshing noises.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Carth Dookie posted:

Sitting in my computer chair with a stupid headset on making my own whooshing noises.

A lot cheaper this way tbh

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

a patagonian cavy posted:

A lot cheaper this way tbh

Only if you stay away from flight sims.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Spam Musubi posted:

That is really reassuring to here. Only question is where is the most ideal place to learn how to fly?

A busy airport with strange weather.

It'll be frustrating to start, but it's better you should learn how to deal with those things all throughout your training, rather than flying out of a sleepy little airport with calm weather and drive your long-suffering instructor out of his mind when you try to rent from somewhere located at a busy airport that experiences strong winds.

I do rental checkouts with experienced and otherwise-competent pilots, and honestly they are just completely overwhelmed by every aspect of busy class C airspace. I mean, I'm sorry we have to go drill holes in the sky over and over, but if your answer to "what altitude and route were we just cleared to?" is "uhhhh...." then you're not taking our planes solo, and you certainly aren't taking our planes solo with my signature on your rental checkout.

Whatever extra time you spend during training to deal with that added complexity pays off in the long run, especially going commercial because they are skills you will 100% need unless you plan to spend your entire career in the middle of nowhere.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

A busy airport with strange weather.

It'll be frustrating to start, but it's better you should learn how to deal with those things all throughout your training, rather than flying out of a sleepy little airport with calm weather and drive your long-suffering instructor out of his mind when you try to rent from somewhere located at a busy airport that experiences strong winds.

I do rental checkouts with experienced and otherwise-competent pilots, and honestly they are just completely overwhelmed by every aspect of busy class C airspace. I mean, I'm sorry we have to go drill holes in the sky over and over, but if your answer to "what altitude and route were we just cleared to?" is "uhhhh...." then you're not taking our planes solo, and you certainly aren't taking our planes solo with my signature on your rental checkout.

Whatever extra time you spend during training to deal with that added complexity pays off in the long run, especially going commercial because they are skills you will 100% need unless you plan to spend your entire career in the middle of nowhere.

I did my early student pilot stuff at a Class C airport, most of everything else in florida at a Class D, and now instruct in a class D airport with bravo airspace 1100' above the field. This gives the airport some extremely fun VFR departure/arrival procedure. it has also given me a near-constant anxiety complex about airspace incursions but other than that things are peachy

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My gliding club neighbours an airforce base restricted airspace that you can stray into if you go about 2 miles in the right (wrong) direction. Adds a certain je nais se quoi when trying to learn how to turn and stay up when you can accidentally stray and upset some very serious people if you get turned around.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Spam Musubi posted:

Sleepy class C airport where there’s good weather.

Have to get a clearance every flight.
Have to get an ATIS.
Talk to ground and tower every flight.
Talk to departure/arrival every flight.
Dealing with a mix of traffic from bigger airliners to other small planes.

It makes talking to and working with ATC second nature since you’re doing it from day one.

It makes the future transition to flying IFR and into bigger class B airports an absolute piece of cake.

Dalrain posted:

It’s a different world for sure, sometimes the kind of flying you do with air carriers feels so far removed from flying a single engine piston aircraft that it barely even feels like flying anymore, it’s an odd juxtaposition. I’m beyond excited to be teaching on the side again.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 29, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Depends on what you mean by good weather. Low ceilings, fog, and constant thunderstorms are a bitch, but you'll want a place that will expose you to proper winds because it's good for practice, and you'll want a place with some amount of unflyable weather because it will exercise the part of your brain that makes go/no-go decisions, and that's the sort of thing that keeps you alive once you're licensed.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I’m afraid if I try to go back into general aviation I’m gonna crash right away, definitely a different more pure skill set. I’d have to book a few lessons. I really wanna get into gliders if I move somewhere with an active community and the right landscape.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Depends on what you mean by good weather. Low ceilings, fog, and constant thunderstorms are a bitch, but you'll want a place that will expose you to proper winds because it's good for practice, and you'll want a place with some amount of unflyable weather because it will exercise the part of your brain that makes go/no-go decisions, and that's the sort of thing that keeps you alive once you're licensed.

I learned at KCOS in Colorado and I honestly cant think of a better airport to learn at. Colorado weather that’s absolutely perfect right until it isn’t. A good mix of GA, airline, military, and Air Force academy traffic, plus all the other things I mentioned. When I started teaching at a non-towered airport, watching students struggle to make the jump to talking to ATC was a real eye opener to the benefit of learning in that environment.

Animal posted:

I’m afraid if I try to go back into general aviation I’m gonna crash right away, definitely a different more pure skill set. I’d have to book a few lessons. I really wanna get into gliders if I move somewhere with an active community and the right landscape.

Gliders are amazing and getting the rating once you have a powered rating is absolutely trivial. I highly recommend it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Colorado weather that’s absolutely perfect right until it isn’t.

Hey, that sounds quite a bit like Calgary!

Lots of sun, overall quite decent weather, but when the weather decides to gently caress you, it does it hard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a patagonian cavy posted:

I did my early student pilot stuff at a Class C airport, most of everything else in florida at a Class D, and now instruct in a class D airport with bravo airspace 1100' above the field. This gives the airport some extremely fun VFR departure/arrival procedure. it has also given me a near-constant anxiety complex about airspace incursions but other than that things are peachy

here are our airport's two available northbound departures (unless you get a bravo transition). green hashes are areas you can't overfly for noise abatement.

the eastbound one has you with the bravo surface area a quarter-mile to the left, a 600-foot radio tower a quarter-mile to the right, and a 1500-foot shelf above your head :jeb:

i may not get to swing my dick around about how many hours it took me to solo but i do feel like I am pretty well prepared for complex airspace. as my instructor puts it "it's just like following the road, you just stay in your lane"

PT6A posted:

oh hey i guess i made the right choice in that sense too!

0700 local: VRB04KT OVC006 3/4SM BR
1100 local: 29007KT BKN026 5SM
1500 local: 22018G27 CLR 10SM

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 29, 2019

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Have to get a clearance every flight.
Have to get an ATIS.
Talk to ground and tower every flight.
Talk to departure/arrival every flight.
Dealing with a mix of traffic from bigger airliners to other small planes.

It makes talking to and working with ATC second nature since you’re doing it from day one.

It makes the future transition to flying IFR and into bigger class B airports an absolute piece of cake.

Yeah, I'm so happy with where I'm learning because of this. Somewhat busy, controlled field. We can gently caress off a few miles and land at uncontrolled fields, but most of the time we're sequencing in the pattern with a calm but steady stream of GA/121/135 traffic. I'm probably a worse stick and rudder pilot for it (because of the luxurious bigass runway) but better at radio/decision making/awareness.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Thank you all for your opinions on seaplane ATP. If I ever come across this DPE again I’ll have to ask him what motivated getting those ratings, even if it’s something along the lines of “I wanted to get a cool rating instead of a flight review”.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

idk about seaplane ATP in particular, but the first rating I want to get after the PPL is ASES. I love love love the idea of flying a little floatplane up to a secluded mountain lake and camping for the weekend far away from everything.

Also 70% of the earth's surface is water but only like 0.00000001% is runways. QED

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

I'm learning out of a busy uncontrolled airport, so ATC is still a bit of a novelty and I've requested we go to controlled airports to hit the pattern. Most of my cross country has also been to controlled as well. Heading to some class C tomorrow and planning a class B soon.

That said, the home airport being pilot controlled has really taught me a ton about situational awareness, managing my place in the pattern, and good radio skills. I think there's tradeoffs either way between learning from towered/pilot controlled.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

idk about seaplane ATP in particular, but the first rating I want to get after the PPL is ASES. I love love love the idea of flying a little floatplane up to a secluded mountain lake and camping for the weekend far away from everything.

Also 70% of the earth's surface is water but only like 0.00000001% is runways. QED
Oh yeah, I want ASES and Glider ratings and tailwheel and high performance endorsements and mountain flying and aerobatic training and so many ratings so little time money. :smith:

Do get an Instrument Rating as well. poo poo saves lives.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Yeah, I'm so happy with where I'm learning because of this. Somewhat busy, controlled field. We can gently caress off a few miles and land at uncontrolled fields, but most of the time we're sequencing in the pattern with a calm but steady stream of GA/121/135 traffic. I'm probably a worse stick and rudder pilot for it (because of the luxurious bigass runway) but better at radio/decision making/awareness.

In retrospect, training out of a Class C airport and getting to wander out to all the small, uncontrolled airports with smaller and/or narrower runways really was a fun and efficient way to train.

The first summer, we also had A300s to contend with thanks to an upstart day cargo company which promptly died within a year, which was even more fun.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cigaw posted:

Do get an Instrument Rating as well. poo poo saves lives.

I just finished reading The Killing Zone, and while it was maybe a bit obvious, it was a really good and sobering read about what kills pilots <350hrs. Definitely would recommend.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I just finished reading The Killing Zone, and while it was maybe a bit obvious, it was a really good and sobering read about what kills pilots <350hrs. Definitely would recommend.

That is a very good book.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Sagebrush posted:

Bear in mind that as far as I know almost no one actually rents seaplanes without their instructor in the seat next to/in front of you so you’d probably need to buy a seaplane. Getting the rating is a fun way to spend a couple days though.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

fordan posted:

Bear in mind that as far as I know almost no one actually rents seaplanes without their instructor in the seat next to/in front of you so you’d probably need to buy a seaplane. Getting the rating is a fun way to spend a couple days though.

This is true. Nobody is letting you solo their seaplane.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fordan posted:

Well sure. It wouldn't make sense to rent a seaplane for a week of camping and pay the daily rate that whole time while only running the engine for a few hours up and back anyway. You can get a tandem ultralight (like, rest-of-the-world light-sport-sized ultralight, not the teeny US ones) on floats for about 30k though and that would be just perfect. Something like a Challenger with the long wing can get off the water in less than 500 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL4bMDP9xSE

:allears:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Even though I’d be contractually obliged to kill myself doing something stupid, I’d totally get an ASES and Icon A5

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The A5 looks like fun on a bun, and I really wanna fly one.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Same.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

I also just finished killing zone, really good book.

So I got my medical certificate despite all my worrying earlier, however, I apparently have some sort of color deficiency because I failed the color plate test. So I have a night restriction until I can figure out a way to prove I can tell the difference between the airport lights. Granted I've never been tested, but it's never been an issue before so hopefully it's just mild. I've got an appointment with my ophthalmologist in two months to do the 24 plate version of the Ishihara test.

Now to schedule lessons.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The Ishihara is a poo poo test for what the FAA uses it for. It was originally intended to figure out whether someone was color deficient, not diagnose the severity of it.

Ishihara tests are also really subject to interior lighting and the quality of the book changing the results, so if you're marginal, you should be able to find an Ishihara you can pass, or one of the FAA-approved alternate tests.

I'm also red-green deficient, but have never been quite bad enough to fail that specific test. If you've never noticed it in daily life, you're probably a pretty mild case.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

The A5 looks like fun on a bun, and I really wanna fly one.

If I had several hundred thousand dollars to spend on a seaplane I'd have to go with the LISA Akoya

purty

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

we had an Icon around here get dinged up a bunch from having a gear-up landing at Shelton airport

and another guy have a hard landing in lake tapps, SE of Seattle, which popped a hole in the hull and sank it

I keep hearing another one on practice area freq so it's only a matter of time I hear another one

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Sagebrush posted:

If I had several hundred thousand dollars to spend on a seaplane I'd have to go with the LISA Akoya

purty

Does anybody else suddenly want a far future sequel to Crimson Skies?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I know an A5 owner up by Spokane. He flies his constantly and can't say enough good things about it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Had 2 glider flights today and got a lot of things signed off in my workbook. Definitely a good one today. Even had my GoPro set up properly this time. Only way it could have been better would be if I'd managed to get up while there was some thermal action. Still good though. :cheers:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Prefect Six posted:

I also just finished killing zone, really good book.

So I got my medical certificate despite all my worrying earlier, however, I apparently have some sort of color deficiency because I failed the color plate test. So I have a night restriction until I can figure out a way to prove I can tell the difference between the airport lights. Granted I've never been tested, but it's never been an issue before so hopefully it's just mild. I've got an appointment with my ophthalmologist in two months to do the 24 plate version of the Ishihara test.

Now to schedule lessons.

The way the FAA goes about checking your color vision is stupid and a bizarre throwback to the earliest days of aviation. The fact that they check it every time you get a new medical is stupid too, since the majority of reasons for color deficiency are all genetic, with reasons like a hard blow to the head or a certain STI being the only thing that might change it as an adult. I had to go through exactly what you're dealing with, only I didn't realize I had a color deficiency until I went to a different AME as a commercial pilot with a job and everything. The FAA will allow you to take pretty much any of their approved color tests as many times as you want to pass the test but if you decide to take the light test at a control tower you can only take it once. Do not take the light test! The good news is that once you do pass the FAA will issue you a waiver and you'll never have to deal with that BS again. Good luck!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

One flight only today, but a significant one. Found my first thermal and rode it up to cloud base. I noticed the wing lift and turned into it. Unfortunately all the continuous high angle circling made me sick (didn't barf). So still have to build tolerance. On the plus side, my control is getting better all the time and I can aerotow passably. My instructor suggested I might be ready for takeoffs. I'm back tomorrow so I'll see how it goes. Zooming around the clouds trying to find the clear bits was super fun and very pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It took 14 months and more weather cancels than flights, but I’m a real boy pilot now :toot: