Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/eric_shorey/status/1167832077531799553?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

everyone on the internet blowing their load over astral chain and i'm here eyeing up the yugioh game

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The sister of the Night in the Woods guy said he’s always had mental health issues so I don’t think it’s fair to say the abuse allegations are the only thing happening here.

That said there isn’t much else to say, I saw that pcgamer closed their comments section in the article on his death, and I wish others would too. Doesn’t feel like anything good can come out of discussing it at this stage.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Yeah I'm sorry I called him the "night in the woods guy" I assumed everyone knew which one I ment, Its sad in many ways.
Sad that he according to his sister had mental health issues but its not a great excuse for him being a real creep if true.
As for the game he was a coder and the music guy for that title and the music is a big part of its feel but he was one of 7 people who haven't been accused of anything heinous and I think the game is a title worth playing.
Him being a creep or just accused of being one is a discussion for a different thread that frankly is a rabbit hole that SA could do without. He was a part of a team that is better than his actions and not indictive of the whole.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
man astral chain is the business good lord

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Risk of Rain 2 on switch is super good and multiplayer is the beez kneez

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
come in here excited about astral chain and see the night in the woods thing and my fun is instantly ruined goodbye

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Does Risk of Rain 2 have crossplay so that I can play with my PC friends?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Argue posted:

Does Risk of Rain 2 have crossplay so that I can play with my PC friends?

Apparently not after a quick google.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

The switch joycons are so trashy. I've got drift on both sides now and pieces of the plastic have started chipping off in my hands.

I am very close to just buying new Joycons and using the ones that came with the system as another controller for multiplayer. They're like $100 here, it is frankly bullshit that you can pay $100 to replace a less than 2 years old controller.

It was fine in Fire Emblem and Mario Maker - my camera kept drifting in FE but you can quickly fix it and it's a turn based game. I'm starting Astral Chain and it turns out a drifting stick makes that game unplayable

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo will replace both of them for free if they drift so get on that.

I think as long as you live in the US or Japan only. Plus you need another controller anyway to wait while

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

any ausgoons sent their joycons away for replacement? I have to imagine that they'll accept them but I don't know whether it's just stateside

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I am very close to just buying new Joycons and using the ones that came with the system as another controller for multiplayer. They're like $100 here, it is frankly bullshit that you can pay $100 to replace a less than 2 years old controller.

It was fine in Fire Emblem and Mario Maker - my camera kept drifting in FE but you can quickly fix it and it's a turn based game. I'm starting Astral Chain and it turns out a drifting stick makes that game unplayable

I think as long as you live in the US or Japan only. Plus you need another controller anyway to wait while

Didn't see this post thanks to phoneposting, but I also noticed that the drift is worse in some games than others. BOTW and Shovel Knight are infuriating, but Doom is fine. Probably the worst first party controller I've used, and so crazy expensive here. Maybe I should just put my switch in the living room and just buy a second charger.

MechaSeinfeld fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 1, 2019

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Risk of Rain 2 is still in EA so the parity that is the starting point for a feature like that to even be attempted is ETA spring 2020.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Astral Chain Review, by HOTLANTA MAN

It's really fuckin good.

Thank you for reading my Astral Chain Review

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Astral Chain is sick. It’s got way more RPG in it than I though it would, too. Looks to be about as deep as Nier in the regard. Fuckload of menus, fuckload of numbers. Exciting to dig into an RPG with actually good combat.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I own Risk of Rain on PC and Switch it's great. I'll be getting Risk 2 again on Switch soon enough. If you're on the fence and willing to wait, the physical launch for Risk of Rain 2 will come with a DL code for the first one on Nov 15th. Groovy.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer

an actual cat irl posted:

Has anyone given Bulletstorm a go yet?

Yeah, i never played the game originally, but the port quality is really good. I thought it was supposed to be a send up of shooters, but I'm....not seeing the parody? The skillshots are really fun, though my reaction times are poo poo so I'm mostly just leashing guys into walls/ceilings/other guys atm.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

well why not posted:

Astral Chain is sick. It’s got way more RPG in it than I though it would, too. Looks to be about as deep as Nier in the regard. Fuckload of menus, fuckload of numbers. Exciting to dig into an RPG with actually good combat.

The main problem with Nier combat imo is sometimes the combat boiled down to numbers being too high or low which makes the actual combat and your skill at it pointless

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Pijeus posted:

Yeah, i never played the game originally, but the port quality is really good. I thought it was supposed to be a send up of shooters, but I'm....not seeing the parody? The skillshots are really fun, though my reaction times are poo poo so I'm mostly just leashing guys into walls/ceilings/other guys atm.

It's less a parody and more a ... hrm. A typical machismo-laden shooter with a dash more self-awareness? Like it openly embraces a lot of the ridiculous tropes of stuff like Gears, Duke, etc., and doesn't play it very straight, but it stops short of outright mocking the form.

Apparently (and my memory could be off, here) when they sent review copies to outlets they buried the game itself inside a package of raw meat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Toaster Beef posted:

It's less a parody and more a ... hrm. A typical machismo-laden shooter with a dash more self-awareness? Like it openly embraces a lot of the ridiculous tropes of stuff like Gears, Duke, etc., and doesn't play it very straight, but it stops short of outright mocking the form.

Apparently (and my memory could be off, here) when they sent review copies to outlets they buried the game itself inside a package of raw meat.

So what you're saying is that it's The Last Action Hero of video games?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Astral Chain is really good so far but my god does the camera have an unfortunate tendency to wedge itself into corners and generally be unhelpful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Facetious posted:

Couldn't you beat him near instantly by spraying him with The Dip™ hose?

No, you had to beat the poo poo out of him for a VERY long time. During this, only full power punches did anything, and he could, at any point, spit at or shoot you, thus cancelling out your power punch.

Even after THAT, if you even mildly hosed up getting the dip cannon and switching to it, then super-quickly mashing whatever button sprayed it, he still won (edit: apparently, you have to hold the button to spray him).

loving end is some of the most bullshit garbage in an otherwise sort of ok NES game.

If I was to fix it, I'd do three things, off the top of my head:

A) make it so you only needed to land 3 fully powered punches on him (or maybe something like 9-15 regular hits

2) Prevent his attack from happening while he's being hit, as it's hard enough to get close to him, but once you do, he shouldn't be able to just negate that.

D) not have some crazy quick timer for the dip cannon, and instead, after getting in the number of required punches, just keep the fight going as it was, go get the cannon, and come back up to use it, but he doesn't actually die unless you spray him. None of this 'he then hits you once and you're dead, do it all over again' poo poo. Game was hard enough.

Edit: look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXf_c5ggZ4w

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 1, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pijeus posted:

Because instead of just crouching and waiting for cover, you're loving running in like a goddamn lunatic, pounding the ground to throw everyone into the air and turning them into fireworks soaring even higher for sickass points as you slide into another motherfucker and kick that piece of poo poo into a spiked wall.

Then use a drill missile to pin three more unlucky motherfuckers standing in a line together, and send them flying into the ceiling where they twirl about like a fan. This is Captain Swearword's Big loving Adventure, and you should go loving play it, shitbags :clint:.

(Seriously, it's a really fun game)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

We finally got a switch after two years of ignoring releases, so that we wouldn't get sad that there were games we wanted to play on a console we couldn't afford. We picked up the three big ones for us, Mario Party, Kart, and Maker. Are any of the f2p games in the store worth looking at? Already got Warframe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

big cummers ONLY posted:

We finally got a switch after two years of ignoring releases, so that we wouldn't get sad that there were games we wanted to play on a console we couldn't afford. We picked up the three big ones for us, Mario Party, Kart, and Maker. Are any of the f2p games in the store worth looking at? Already got Warframe.

Have you got Tetris 99? If you got the online for Maker, that's free

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

sigher posted:

So what you're saying is that it's The Last Action Hero of video games?

Nowhere near that well done. Last Action Hero was operating on another level.

I had a shitload of fun with Bulletstorm, though. It's a lot of fun to play, and encourages you to be creative in combat. Game just feels good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Brother Entropy posted:

everyone on the internet blowing their load over astral chain and i'm here eyeing up the yugioh game

Ha ha, who would be eyeing up the Yu-Gi-Oh game?

:sweatdrop:

iwannaplaycards

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Here’s all the free garbage I have on my Switch. Stuff with asterisks are things I can personally recommend. YMMV with the rest.

Arena of Valor
Brawlhalla*
Color Zen
Dawn of the Breakers
Fallout Shelter*
Fortnite*
Galak-Z: Variant S*
Gems of War
GetAmped
Kitten Squad
Lightseekers
Onigiri
Paladins*
Pinball Arcade, The*
Pinball FX 3*
Realm Royale
Smite
Stern Pinball Arcade*
Warframe*
Warhammer Champions
Zaccaria Pinball*

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1166736271714258945

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Well that sure is some independent thinking...

:rimshot:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Click bait.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Yeah, I want to read that so I can laugh at it, but I don't want to give them clicks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bulletstorm is an interesting concept that never works as well as it should because its missing mechanics to make it work better, but on the other hand, it is full of absolutely inventive swearing youll be able use with any type of company for years to come.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah, I want to read that so I can laugh at it, but I don't want to give them clicks.

The reviewer played on the easy difficulty and then complained that the combat is just easy button mashing and that it should have a ranking system (which the game does have, just on harder difficulties)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The writer claims he played on hard but the fact that he mentions no ranking system proves he is lying.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I'm certainly not a super pro gamer but I know my way around these types of games generally, and some of the fights on standard have definitely been messing me up (partially because I still don't have the best handle on moving two characters independently). Maybe games journos have just gotten massively skilled of late and this is child's play to them, who knows.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So one of my joycons is beginning to drift. I tried calibrating it and using contact cleaner but it had no effect. Since I bought it in December it should still be under warranty. What's the way to go about getting the joycon repaired/replaced? Do you contact them directly or use the site book a repair?

Also this information really should be in the OP. Just saying.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really, really hate the 'games journos are awful' trend that's been plaguing the internet for the last five years.

It's a regular news publication commenting on popular culture. Those have been dumb and bad for decades. Just ignore them.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

I really, really hate the 'games journos are awful' trend that's been plaguing the internet for the last five years.

It's a regular news publication commenting on popular culture. Those have been dumb and bad for decades. Just ignore them.

Unfortunately, telling people online to ignore white noise/trolling hasn’t worked for the last 30 years.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't know why all these super gamers don't just become journalists themselves. If it's so bad, then fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I don't know why all these super gamers don't just become journalists themselves. If it's so bad, then fix it.

I prefer to work in a field where I will get paid

also I can't write