Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

zedprime posted:

Raisin wine, whatever, you making prison hooch after all.

Got a real coffee troll here though, what the gently caress
https://twitter.com/Ad_Inifinitum/status/1167899352225869824?s=20

Nobody in the history of man has cracked the coffee nut. But let's go over what we know so far: add whole egg to coffee, boil, pour out and hope it's not full of grinds. How do we improve on this??
Someone try this
1 2 3
NOT IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Meringue xenomorph in the top right would be pretty loving cool actually.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean ... that's actually a pretty ingenious idea, right? Like cracking an egg into your radiator to stop a leak.

eat the forbidden coffee grounds egg

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Someone try this
1 2 3
NOT IT

I tried it a couple of years ago and took pictures; I'll see if I can find them, but if not, I can just do it again. The egg is supposed to cut the bitterness of the coffee (which it does) and make the grounds stick together for easy disposal (not so much).

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

RoeCocoa posted:

I tried it a couple of years ago and took pictures; I'll see if I can find them, but if not, I can just do it again. The egg is supposed to cut the bitterness of the coffee (which it does) and make the grounds stick together for easy disposal (not so much).

One of the things that isn't directly mentioned in the recipe is that in 1893 they would have been using a hand-cranked coffee grinder at home in the kitchen, and the grind used was probably a lot coarser than most people currently use. That does matter in controlling how much the egg white can bind.

My family made coffee this way for a long time. I still possess the grinder.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is some ninja turtles poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TUNA AND FEAR PIZZA

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scarodactyl posted:

Someone try this
1 2 3
NOT IT

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
My maternal grandmother did that egg thing. Her coffee was terrible. Most things she cooked were terrible, though. :shrug:

My paternal grandmother had a stovetop percolator and that coffee was awesome, even though she was a terrible cook for everything but desserts.

I once saw her eat a cold baked bean sandwich on buttered white bread. I may still have nightmares about that.

She and my grandfather used to eat crackers in milk, like you would eat cereal. Those big old-fashioned crackers, like Uneeda Biscuit or Pilot Crackers.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Can we go back to that cabbage filled with meat? I want that. I dont know what the cheese is doing there, but that concept skips so many loving pain in the rear end steps for cabbage rolls. Parboiling cabbage leaves and rolling them sucks. Dolmas is simply easier because you just buy the grape leaves in a jar.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Emmy made the egg coffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfalG5Jpry0

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Scandinavian. Of course.

I'm half Swedish and half Italian. In other words, we eat Italian food.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why do all those old midcentury pizza things seem to be from before they invented cheese

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Data Graham posted:

Why do all those old midcentury pizza things seem to be from before they invented cheese

A pizza is just a focaccia, its toppings on a bread of sorts

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Data Graham posted:

Why are there no pears in the tuna and pear pizza? And what the hell is a pickled walnut? :psyduck:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

wheatpuppy posted:

Why are there no pears in the tuna and pear pizza?

Step 2

wheatpuppy posted:

And what the hell is a pickled walnut? :psyduck:

Short answer: British.

Longer answer: The first stage is to pick the walnuts whilst they are still green and before the shells have set. Most recipes say that late June is about the best time to pick them. The soft walnuts are then soaked in brine (salt water) for at least ten days. The walnuts are then drained and left to dry in the air. Soaking the walnuts in brine causes a chemical reaction to take place and the walnuts turn dark brown to black in colour when exposed to sunlight. The now-black walnuts are then placed into jars and a pickling solution poured over them. This can vary from a straightforward pickling vinegar to a solution containing spices and sugar. The walnuts are sealed and then left in the jars for anywhere between five days and eight weeks depending on which recipe is followed.

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Sep 1, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whomst would pick walnuts whilst they are still green

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Only a daft bint/cad.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
tag yourself. I'm the sack'o'sauce

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm the bed of lettuce on the serving platter

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Barbeque sauce is already mild, what's mild BBQ? Ketchup?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TotalLossBrain posted:

Gotta keep those flavors separate. Wouldn't want any flavor leaking into the meat.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

buddhist nudist posted:

Barbeque sauce is already mild, what's mild BBQ? Ketchup?

You've never had spicy bbq sauce?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TotalLossBrain posted:

i'm the barbecue treat complete

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

DiggityDoink posted:

You've never had spicy bbq sauce?

Yeah, but that's explicitly described as spicy, hot, sweet heat, etc. Default BBQ sauce is already mild so mild BBQ sauce must therefore have even less flavor.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

buddhist nudist posted:

Yeah, but that's explicitly described as spicy, hot, sweet heat, etc. Default BBQ sauce is already mild so mild BBQ sauce must therefore have even less flavor.

It's also available "plain, without sauce".

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm the sold-separately "also plain without sauce" when you could just not open the pack

e: f,b

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's also available "plain, without sauce".

Wonderful.

I'm sure modern, frozen/refrigerated hot dogs are just as bad as their canned ancestors, but wet room temperature sausage from a can gives me psychic pain.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

buddhist nudist posted:

Wonderful.

I'm sure modern, frozen/refrigerated hot dogs are just as bad as their canned ancestors, but wet room temperature sausage from a can gives me psychic pain.

Shlorpie's Warm Dogs, now with Extra Mild "Barbecue" "Sauce"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sir Lemming posted:

Scandinavian. Of course.

I'm half Swedish and half Italian. In other words, we eat Italian food.

https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1504415/yougov-poll-immigration.png

This is like, afp with a layer of indirection

bob dobbs is dead has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Sep 1, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm "flavory"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

buddhist nudist posted:

wet room temperature sausage from a can gives me psychic pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwyDkmH97RE

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

:yikes:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, we're kinda pitching it as the "problematic" Pinterest, y'know, free of SJWs who are gonna censor you for your perfectly innocent, folksy crafts.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

:randno:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its straight out of a 50s cookbook my friends wife found at a yardsale yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Keep the recipe, but change the name to charred KKK crackers