Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Just finished binging season 3 since it hit Netflix. What a loving gut punch of a finale, Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Imagine if this show got cancelled in season 1, with that twist ending. That would be the ultimate gut punch.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That would have been early enough that it would have worked as an extendedTwilight Zone episode. Cancelling it at any point after that (them pretending to go along with it, returning to earth, running their own good place) would have felt like there were more plot threads left dangling, and that would have been much worse.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I also just caught up on S3 on Netflix. I liked the season overall and am looking forward to S4, but Chidi/Eleanor has tipped over into full on annoying for me. Sitcom romances are at best tedious, and doubly so when you do memory wipes and retread the same 'will they ever get together' routines. But even more than that, I think the two characters are so much better/funnier when they aren't mooning at each other. Chidi being exasperated at what a terrible person she is just works so well for this material.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Family Values posted:

I also just caught up on S3 on Netflix. I liked the season overall and am looking forward to S4, but Chidi/Eleanor has tipped over into full on annoying for me. Sitcom romances are at best tedious, and doubly so when you do memory wipes and retread the same 'will they ever get together' routines. But even more than that, I think the two characters are so much better/funnier when they aren't mooning at each other. Chidi being exasperated at what a terrible person she is just works so well for this material.

The one thing you can expect from this show is that it goes through more subplots in a few episodes than some do in an entire series

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Family Values posted:

Eleanor wingmanning Chidi and Simone was absolutely adorable too. They should just be really good mates, Eleanor should be with Tahani.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Family Values posted:

Yeah the will they/won't they routine is generally the worst part of most sitcoms, especially when it's the 'main' characters that are doing it. Eleanor/Chidi, Ross/Rachel, Ted/Robin, etc.

Emotionally healthy friendships between exes can be a thing!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Eleanor should be with Tahani.

:hai:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Eleanor should be with Tahani's head on Stone Cold Steve Austin's body, or the reverse.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Strom Cuzewon posted:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

now I'm wondering what a chidi-jason pairing would be like.

Honestly it wouldn't be the worst combination...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

double nine posted:

Jason lovingly teaching Chidi how to chill out and relax, I could see it.

One of the reboots I'm sure Michael tried it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

MikeJF posted:

This is also the same guy who paired Eleanor with a demon golden retriever.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MikeJF posted:

It's basically an extended version of them playing Jacksonville pool.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

MikeJF posted:

Michael lets them have video games... But only turn-based strategy ones. Chidi becomes too indecisive to get past turn three and Jason gets frustrated every time he attacks too early and gets wiped out.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

MaxieSatan posted:

Michael lets them have video games... But only turn-based strategy ones. Chidi becomes too indecisive to get past turn three and Jason gets frustrated every time he attacks too early and gets wiped out.

Michael gives them Alpha Centauri, Chidi spends several centuries mapping out everyone's quotes to decide who is the most moral faction.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

inthesto posted:

Michael gives them Alpha Centauri, Chidi spends several centuries mapping out everyone's quotes to decide who is the most moral faction.

so this is the good place

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

inthesto posted:

reads the tech Ethical Calculus, understands implication, plays University anyway

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

inthesto posted:

Wait doesn't everyone do that?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Cute promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC_IAnVpLw4

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Longer promo with one new scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnq6IRgt4yE

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

double nine posted:

That's the attempt where Jason figured it out...

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I agree that all the resets are too much but I like Chidi/Elenor (& Elenor/Tahani lmao) idc

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

inthesto posted:

That's easy, it's Chairman Yang. His faction gets a large population, which means he provides food and security for the greatest number of people, safely imprisoned in brutal serfdom in his underground bases. (What, you're going to argue that providing luxuries to a few people is better than keeping a large number of people alive?) And he also created genejacks, who cannot feel pain or desire anything but the complete fulfillment they get from their labor. Ethics A-plus right there.

(This is why everyone hates moral philosophy professors.)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Jason would be very good for Chidi. I think he would push Chidi into action but in a good way. He's the scarecrow, all heart no brain, and Chidi is the tin man, all brain no heart. Eleanor is Dorothy and Tahani is the cowardly lion...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Koalas March posted:

I agree that all the resets are too much but I like Chidi/Elenor (& Elenor/Tahani lmao) idc

I think in most cases you'd be right, but they pulled it off remarkably well, IMO.

My biggest concern for the final season is the quality of the writing suffering with so many new characters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sloth Life posted:

Jason would be very good for Chidi. I think he would push Chidi into action but in a good way. He's the scarecrow, all heart no brain, and Chidi is the tin man, all brain no heart. Eleanor is Dorothy and Tahani is the cowardly lion...

Plus he can put his hand on your heart and solve all your problems.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I think in most cases you'd be right, but they pulled it off remarkably well, IMO.

My biggest concern for the final season is the quality of the writing suffering with so many new characters.

That assumes that they don't blow everything up in 3 episodes.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I see your longer promo, and raise you the longest promo, with actual scene?

https://vimeo.com/358534055
Direct link if the embedded video doesn't show up

It's basically the same video, with an actual clip from the season premiere, at the 3:45 mark. This aired last night in the Carson Daly timeslot. I don't know why NBC didn't just put the whole thing online, making me have to capture it at 12:53 AM.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Stone hinge was a sex thing!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pinwiz11 posted:

That assumes that they don't blow everything up in 3 episodes.

This is true.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

mastajake posted:

Jesus Christ, I'm still laughing.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

mastajake posted:

should have been

suicidal Matt posted:

Stonehenge was a weird sex thing!
:colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Neophyte posted:

should have been
:colbert:

Don't kink shame!

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
There's going to be a 6 'webisode' series online about how the Bad Place selected the 4 dingdongs for the experiment. The first one is already up on the EW's site exclusively and I didn't see it anywhere on youtube. Find it here along with an article. Should be good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

zamiel posted:

There's going to be a 6 'webisode' series online about how the Bad Place selected the 4 dingdongs for the experiment. The first one is already up on the EW's site exclusively and I didn't see it anywhere on youtube. Find it here along with an article. Should be good.

Here's to hoping Megan Amram wrote it so maybe she can get an Emmy that way. Or, best case scenario, she didn't write it and loses to it next year.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

zamiel posted:

Forcing Emily Dickinson to listen to Joe Rogan's podcast is extremely evil. goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Forcing Emily Dickinson to listen to Joe Rogan's podcast is extremely evil. goddamn.

That line took me out lmao