Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

:justpost: :suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:yeshaha:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:rms:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Post harder for Pearl Harder

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
In b4 it turns out that the AI kept all its ships on the West Coast.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Sandman posted:

In b4 it turns out that the AI kept all its ships on the West Coast.

For him to not encounter any fleets at all this close to Hawaii that's probably the case.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mercenarynuker posted:

Post harder for Pearl Harder

:f5:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is going to be a hell of a bloody Sunday

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I continue to show my dominance.

The carriers come into range of the level bombers from Pearl.

The come in wave, after wave.

We gun them down in large numbers.

Though some get through to see our carriers, none land any hits.

We hold here with heavy losses.

Air losses are heavy, but could be worse – and there are no hits on our ships yet.

We have sent a note to the Allies detailing an armistice with us holding the territory we have under arms. We shall see how they respond to this.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS PACOM RR THE WORLD WONDERS

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

:feelsgood:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Brought nothing but zeroes? Or is that just the only plane that does CAP for the carriers.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

We finally get to see the A6M8 in action, the King of the Zeros will have its day :smug:

Which is also technically the final day of the war, but still :v:

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 1, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
IT BEGINS

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Did the AI move all it’s ships to the Atlantic? Is that even possible? I’m very curious to find out where they’ve been stashed all this time.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
When was the last time we saw an allied carrier?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Like summer of '44 or something

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Going off the ship database, the last time we saw a US CV was November 26th, 1944 (Essex, spotted near Ponape). Last time we saw a US carrier at all was CVE Corregidor, spotted near Truk on January 18th, 1945.

As for the british, we last saw a CV on December 13th, 1944 (Indefatigable, near Guam), and we spotted a pair of CVLs (Hermes and Unicorn) the day before that, near Saipan.

Assuming the database is up to date, we haven't seen any allied flattops anywhere in nearly seven months.

e. Ah wait, I missed one. CVL Cabot, sunk by torpedoes on May 14th 1945 near Makin. So that makes more than three months with no flattop sighting.. Better than I originally thought.

e2. As for what carriers are still afloat, still going off the ship database:

The british still have most, if not all, their fleet: CVs Formidable, Illustrious, Indefatigable, and Indomitable, and CVLs Hermes and Unicorn; only Illustrious is assumed sunk, though not confirmed.

The US have CVs Essex, Hornet, Intrepid, Lexington II, and Wasp II; Bunker Hill, Enterprise, Franklin, Hornet II, Lexington, Ticonderoga, and Yorktown II are all assumed sunk (not confirmed), and Saratoga, Wasp, and Yorktown are confirmed sunk.

As for CVEs and CVLs it's way too late in the evening to count all those, sorry. There are plenty still active though, while quite a few were assumed or confirmed sunk.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 1, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Quote is not edit.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

BurningStone posted:

Did the AI move all it’s ships to the Atlantic? Is that even possible? I’m very curious to find out where they’ve been stashed all this time.

It's possible. There are a handful of off-map locations: the East Coast, the Panama Canal (two different hexes), Cape Town, Mombasa, Abadan, Aden, the UK, I think there might be a "Canada" one representing the eastern parts of Canada, maybe one or two more that I'm forgetting. I'm pretty sure it's impossible for the Japanese player or AI to attack these locations, so the Allies could stash stuff there.

My guess is the Allied carriers are in San Diego or SF, but really :iiam: and they could be anywhere, because the game's AI is unfortunately quite bad.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I might be mistaking the type of planes used but it seems like the Americans didn't send a single carrier-based plane out today. Maybe it's a range thing and the torpedo bombers can't make it this far out or something but that seems really weird.

edit: actually, the Corsairs are carrier-based planes I could be wrong and they've been rebased to airfields instead.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 2, 2019

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

overmind2000 posted:

I might be mistaking the type of planes used but it seems like the Americans didn't send a single carrier-based plane out today. Maybe it's a range thing and the torpedo bombers can't make it this far out or something but that seems really weird.

edit: actually, the Corsairs are carrier-based planes I could be wrong and they've been rebased to airfields instead.

It seems likely that it's all land-based. I would expect to see a few Avengers mixed in there if it was carrier-based.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Let's have a closer look at my boy the A6M8

Wikipedia posted:

A6M8 Type 0 Model 64

Similar to the A6M6 but with the Sakae (now out of production) replaced by the Mitsubishi Kinsei 62 engine with 1,163 kW (1,560 hp), 60% more powerful than the engine of the A6M2.[19] This resulted in an extensively modified cowling and nose for the aircraft. The carburetor intake was much larger, a long duct like that on the Nakajima B6N Tenzan was added, and a large spinner—like that on the Yokosuka D4Y Suisei with the Kinsei 62—was mounted. The larger cowling allowed an armament change to 2x 13.2mm Type 3 machine gun in the fuselage and 4x 20mm Type99 Mark2 cannon (two on each wing). In addition, the Model 64 was modified to carry two 150 l (40 US gal) drop tanks on either wing in order to permit the mounting of a 250 kg (550 lb) bomb on the underside of the fuselage. Two prototypes were completed in April 1945 but the chaotic situation of Japanese industry and the end of the war obstructed the start of the ambitious program of production for 6,300 A6M8s, only the two prototypes being completed and flown.[19][84]

And also

Other website posted:

A6M8 (Navy Type 0 Carrier Fighter Model 64)
engine: 1x Mitsubishi Kinsei Model 62 engine [1,560hp at take-off, 1,340hp at 6,890ft, 1,180hp at 19,030ft] w/ 3-bladed constant speed Sumitomo propeller
speed: 356mph at 19,685ft
climb rate: 6min50sec to 19,685ft [26,240ft? 3,140ft/min - Green]
ceiling: 37,075ft
fuel: 610liter internal + 2x 350liter under-wing drop tanks
range:
weight: 4,740lb (empty), 6,945lb (loaded)
armament: 2x 13.2mm Type 3 machine guns, 2x 20mm Type 99 Model 2 Mark 4 cannon w/125rpg, 1x 550lb or 1,100lb bombs, 2x 132lb bombs
number built: 2 prototypes only
notes: first flown 25 May 1945, production version of A6M8c, 6,300 to be built by Mitsubishi and Nakajima, none completed
GLORY: A6M8 7F6 2-1/C/16?

Oh yeah that's the good poo poo :smug:

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 2, 2019

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
still slower than the f6f

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So the Kido Butai has lost ~ 100 planes and the Allies have lost ~ 150.

How many CV's do you have at Pearl? All of them? And how many planes at full loads?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

still slower than the f6f

If the game allotted for aircraft to be developed near the end of 1945 the variants of the A7M Reppu could have been comparable to that.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bold Robot posted:

It's possible. There are a handful of off-map locations: the East Coast, the Panama Canal (two different hexes), Cape Town, Mombasa, Abadan, Aden, the UK, I think there might be a "Canada" one representing the eastern parts of Canada, maybe one or two more that I'm forgetting. I'm pretty sure it's impossible for the Japanese player or AI to attack these locations, so the Allies could stash stuff there.

My guess is the Allied carriers are in San Diego or SF, but really :iiam: and they could be anywhere, because the game's AI is unfortunately quite bad.

My guess is the Allies have their fleet in Sydney to make a push on Rabaul but they can't figure out how to send all of them at once because, as you said "the game's AI is unfortunately quite bad."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

My guess is the Allies have their fleet in Sydney to make a push on Rabaul but they can't figure out how to send all of them at once because, as you said "the game's AI is unfortunately quite bad."

Maybe if we send one ship at at a time again.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

overmind2000 posted:

If the game allotted for aircraft to be developed near the end of 1945 the variants of the A7M Reppu could have been comparable to that.

You can get A7Ms. You just have to actually plan plane research, and it’s a convoluted and tedious mess. By late 1944 some players are fielding A7Ms, and by 1945 some of the more exotic stuff can come online, including rocket and jet models. The J7W shinden, Ki-83 heavy fighter, and other planes can be competitive with the best allied offerings in air combat and sweep roles. But they all suffer from high service ratings, which means they can’t be used at a high rate without days of downtime for maintenance, and Japan has a fixed number of squadrons available to use no matter how well you’ve been doing. So you might have a thousand trained pilots and airframes sitting around, but you can’t use them. In fact, and I’ve mentioned this before, the game forces withdrawal of squadrons that historically were empty irrespective of how the war goes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Velius posted:

You can get A7Ms. You just have to actually plan plane research, and it’s a convoluted and tedious mess. By late 1944 some players are fielding A7Ms, and by 1945 some of the more exotic stuff can come online, including rocket and jet models. The J7W shinden, Ki-83 heavy fighter, and other planes can be competitive with the best allied offerings in air combat and sweep roles. But they all suffer from high service ratings, which means they can’t be used at a high rate without days of downtime for maintenance, and Japan has a fixed number of squadrons available to use no matter how well you’ve been doing. So you might have a thousand trained pilots and airframes sitting around, but you can’t use them. In fact, and I’ve mentioned this before, the game forces withdrawal of squadrons that historically were empty irrespective of how the war goes.

Or it bugs out and drains your political points.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Another day hanging around Pearl, and still no sign of a single engine bomber.

Just more Invaders.

Oh, and some Mitchells.

We take another wave of plane losses across China.

I think my carriers may be bugged again – I am going in close tomorrow.

Two days of Operation off their main naval base and they have not hit a single carrier at loss. The Allies mull over my demands.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
... At this point I'm expecting the 5th to just be "And then that which sleeps 'neeth Eniwotek devoured them all." as Grey just gives up on any orders going through.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I think your guys are just too far out from Pearl - looks like 10ish hexes based on the pics. I don't know what the range of late-war IJN aircraft is but if that's in their range at all, that's gotta be at the very limit. Not sure this is an AI issue.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Someday I will be free of the ship database hell

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did you bring a land force?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Mans posted:

:catstare:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mans posted:

Are you suggesting that we sully our beautiful ships by putting lunkheaded grunts from the ARMY ON THEM??!!!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Look the Navy got us into this war, and by God they’re going to get us out of it!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The flat tops are busy, but where are the big guns?

According to the list by Jobbo_Fett (thank you) the BBs Hyuga, Ise, and Mutsu are still afloat. And the Hyuga is still up for grabs with one day to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah if you're not sailing battleships directly into Pearl Harbor why do you even have them?