Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
...until, in God's good time, the new world, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Earth, there is no other destination.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Emancipation. The Progenitors will still be out there later, and the Hive Mind can be explored at leisure, but Earth is almost certainly on a clock.

Of the three victory conditions, it's the only one that has an in-universe and in-fluff time limit (if not one represented in the game itself). As near as I can tell from the fluff, the Progenitors aren't, like, going anywhere. A case could be made that they'll be just as contactable after rescuing Earth than before. Ditto the planetary network; that could still be hosed up by one of the other factions, mind, if they decide to go all Alien Genocide, but you can step in and make them stop with robot legions if they try. But Earth, left to its own devices, is going to choke under its own weight sooner or later, which means of the three, it's the one that makes the most sense to pursue first. By the time you complete one of the other projects and assimilate the results, there may not be an Earth left to save.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tenebrais posted:

I vote transcendence, it feels more on-theme with how Al Falah has developed.

Agree with this, transcendence

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Earth needs saving. Return the cradle of humanity to the splendor it once was. Without them, we wouldn't be here, after all.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I feel emancipation would be the most narrativly appropriate. We're more Supremacy than Harmony anyway and the humanitarian effort fits with Al Falah's de facto stance of being rescuers of refugees. No matter which part of the universe they crashed in.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019
Transcendence Have to go with making a planetary hive mind, partially as homage to SMAC. Mostly because its the next step towards making galaxy brain in all its horror a reality.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
After ten one thousand years months we're free! Time to conquer Earth!

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Emancipation, go get some Earth dogs to crossbreed with our space dogs. Assuming Earth still has dogs.

Earth had better still have dogs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grizzwold posted:

Emancipation, go get some Earth dogs to crossbreed with our space dogs. Assuming Earth still has dogs.

Earth had better still have dogs.

Fluff implies they're extinct, sadly, but we probably had the genetic samples so Al Falah's cloning could have brought them back. I established a while back that Al Falah has resurrected the domestic cat. :v:

I'm not closing voting just yet, but I wanted to play and there's a clear preference, so I went ahead and recorded. Worst case scenario, I can load my save from the end of the last update and re-record. Even if I do, though, Al Falah will finally be in a position to live up to an old promise.

Whether there are survivors down there or not, Al Falah can finally reach that icy tomb.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

quote:

...until, in God's good time, the new world, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

Joining in the mass movement for "Save" The Earth

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I'm convinced by the argument that Al Falah has, and thus must, become the salvation they were sent to find amongst the stars.

GunnerJ posted:

I liked how aware of the possibility of getting conquered by aliens the advocate for forcibly liberating Earth from its backwardness was. :v:

The djinn, as full synthetic intelligences, are prone to some of the same cognitive biases we once thought were the weaknesses of flesh... but the Muses don't let you hide from the implications of your positions. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, it's been a day and the votes are overwhelming. Voting is closed!

I've also recorded the next update.

Remember Betty?

quote:

Her name is Betty, and she's my vat-grown cyborg flying whale aircraft carrier battleship friend.

Betty will be joining Al Falah in the next update.

One truly baffling entry in CBE's tech web will also be making an appearance.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Does anything happen if you wipe all other factions off the map :v: ? It's probably tedious and pointless, but I'm curious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dancer posted:

Does anything happen if you wipe all other factions off the map :v: ? It's probably tedious and pointless, but I'm curious.

You win the game.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Specifically called a domination victory if I'm not wrong.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

Specifically called a domination victory if I'm not wrong.

And the game's not subtle about calling you an rear end in a top hat if you do it.

Specifically, what you need to do is take all the original capitals. Someone on Al-Jalidia loses their capital this next update, in fact.

Ard, though, well... I've got far and away the most powerful military, even if a lot of it is now earmarked for Earth. Including Betty. Hello, earthlings!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Can't we declare war on Kozlov and liberate the INTEGR capital? Kozlov is a dick and I think he may even respect us for making war on him.

With our Uber drones that mean no Al Ja war will have Al Ja casualties.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

Can't we declare war on Kozlov and liberate the INTEGR capital? Kozlov is a dick and I think he may even respect us for making war on him.

With our Uber drones that mean no Al Ja war will have Al Ja casualties.

INTEGR's fine and Kozlov isn't the one who took someone else's capital. :v:

But no, I'm not picking an unnecessary fight. Al Falah's enjoyed the classic form of isolationism to date: we're so militarily powerful that no one on Al-Jalidia wants to pick a fight with us. They'd lose, and they know it.

Someone is going to get awfully pissed off when I start building the gateway to Earth, but whether that turns into a war is up to them.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

So I finally decided "hey, Netflix has Star Trek TNG on it. May as well watch it."

I am barely half through the first episode and WHAT
THE
DUCK
AM
I
WATCHING

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Siegkrow posted:

So I finally decided "hey, Netflix has Star Trek TNG on it. May as well watch it."

THE
DUCK
AM
I
WATCHING

Skip to the first episode where Riker has a beard.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Siegkrow posted:

THE
DUCK
AM
I
WATCHING

TNG's first (and second) seasons are pretty rough.

I think they went through 35 writers in the first season alone?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Someone is going to get awfully pissed off when I start building the gateway to Earth, but whether that turns into a war is up to them.

Are we doing the 'bring through refugees' or 'forcible brainpeeling' form of returning-to-earth?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Lone Badger posted:

Are we doing the 'bring through refugees' or 'forcible brainpeeling' form of returning-to-earth?

Neither. We're going back to Earth, but no one is getting augmented or uploaded against their will.

Spoiler of my first draft of the return to Earth if you want an idea of how I envision this going:

After so much ceremony, transit through the gate was an anticlimax for the crew of the AFNDS Muharar. There was no feeling of dislocation, no sense of travel or disorientation from the spatial distortion. One moment the Muharar was in frigid waters under a cloudless, blue-green sky and one moment the Muharar was in reddish brown waters the color of rust under an impenetrable expanse of orange, grey, brown, and black. Still waters stretched away towards land only visible with telescopic implants, disturbed only by the ripple of the carrier's displacement into the sea. A reek of decay rose from the darkened waters, and the only sound was the dull throb of the Muharar's reactor.

For a moment, the men, women, and djinn of the Muharar thought there must have been some mistake. Where were the green lands? The blue skies? The green waters? Had they traveled to another world by mistake?

Then one by one the ship's sensors chimed in. The sea was toxic, filled with a lethally poisonous strain of bacteria and the only multicellular life was a handful of small, grossly mutated fish that prowled the sea floor hunting equally wretched invertebrates. Scarcely any phytoplankton survived on the water's surface. Radiation alarms chirped as they sampled Earth's air, warning of massive radiation contamination but well within the tolerances of the Muharar's transhuman crew. Above, the clouds were thick with particulate ash and debris.

After another long minute of stunned silence, the Muharar's central mind reported positive contact with the Eye of Providence to confirm what the human crew already knew. Some primordial knowledge, some deeply buried instinct that technology could not distort nor genetic engineering take away saw this poisoned world and knew. There had been no mistake with the spatial bridge. The Fall Hypothesis had been correct, at least around what had once been called the Persian Gulf.

One man, a communications officer on the ship's bridge, broke the silence with a sob. Fresh salt water dripped down over bioplastic implants and nanoweave cloth onto the polished alloy deck. Soon, others joined him. Others tightened fists, frowning in uncomprehending anger. But a few, a very few, looked straight ahead towards the horizon.

Al Falah had returned.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 1, 2019

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... is it too late to vote that we DON'T disturb the dead world and leave the ghosts of the past in the past?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

There must be survivors. Someone we can save. Something we can do.
Even if there isn't, even if we're all that's left, at the very least we can try and restore the homeworld.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Like for real, we're not abandoning that derelict site in the middle of the goddamn permafrost why the hell would we abandon out home planet's survivors?

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Just started reading this thread and decided to buy the game. Only 15$ with the expansion at https://www.macgamestore.com/product/4993/Civilization-Beyond-Earth-The-Collection/ . Gives a cross platform stream version not just a MacOS one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

There must be survivors. Someone we can save. Something we can do.
Even if there isn't, even if we're all that's left, at the very least we can try and restore the homeworld.

There are survivors, of course. To quote a certain post-apocalyptic novel series that influenced me as a kid, the world was not destroyed. Only a way of life.

It just so happens that the Middle East, where Al Falah chooses to return, was particularly hard hit. There are places, as we'll see in the next update, where civilization has endured. But there are many more places where Mad Max is the order of the day, and others that are outright uninhabitable.

No one is getting uplifted against their will. But in light of Earth's conditions, people will flock to the return of Al Falah in the hopes of joining them.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

So where are the super mutants?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Cythereal posted:

No one is getting uplifted against their will. But in light of Earth's conditions, people will flock to the return of Al Falah in the hopes of joining them.

Cultural Victory!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
At the Gates of Eden

State of Al Falah, turn 231

Ard

Farah

Aswat Adida

Midfa'a

Miah Mortafi'a

Wogohna

Question: what qualifies as art from an artificial intelligence? Answer: Abstractions of truth.

The Ibn al-Haytham Institute, an influential center of scientific research in Ard, was ultimately granted a new charter allowing the institute to operate independently from the Office of Science and Development.

When I'm playing normally, I like to research Alien Ethics or Transgenics early, then research Bionics so I can build an institute and wait for this quest to fire so I can pick up something very useful...

The scientists at Ibn al-Haytham dedicated their work to understanding the history and means of evolution in the native Jalidian life, with intriguing - and classified - results. Now, every greenhouse was a laboratory of sorts.

The key thing here is making farms give +1 science. Think about how many farms you tend to build in Civilization. That is how much more science every turn this tech grants. This is on top of us already upgrading farms with +1 food and +1 energy over the basic model. Progenitor gardens are a Harmony health structure. And the Resurrection Device? Oh, we will get to that...

Very quietly, excavation of a huge underground complex begins beneath Ard. Officially, the facility is for expansion of the city's infrastructure. Unofficially, Project Methuselah is less revolutionary than the premise seems to the uninitiated. The technology and science are there. The challenge lies in putting it all together.

Well that's different. Covert operations keep occurring regularly in Ard, but I still have a spy stationed there on counter-intelligence.

Do Al Falah's factories build their products? Or grow them? Stop asking silly semantic questions, you tourist.

Golems are the 'ultimate' Supremacy/Purity unit, and honestly kind of pointless with a gimmick that doesn't work. The bioglass furnace is a Supremacy production structure that I will definitely build in Ard. Xenomalleum trades a bunch of xenomass to give you a load of titanium, petroleum, and geothermal - can be worth it, but I have no shortage of any of those resources.

If every farm is now a laboratory in miniature, why not a mine for useful organic materials, too?

I'm here for farms also adding +1 production. Yeah.

Duncan's got a new outfit!

Though not yet available for industrial use, nanotechnology was the true linchpin of Al Falah's medical system. Even without the Methuselah Project, life expectancy for Al Falah was calculated at well over two hundred years... and possibly much more than that.

quote:

Civilizations often suffer violent social disturbances during transitional phases, and one of the most common precipitating events is the death of a factional leader. To what extent could social order be preserved if faction leader deaths were less common? Or more largely, would a longer lifespan make a better person?

Even pre-Mistake cultures of Earth examined the science of dying and identified genetic damage during DNA replication as the primary cause of senescence. Various hypothetical treatments were proposed - "snapshotting" the DNA of a person at a key age, and then maintaining the individual genotype through a complex biochemical regimen over a long period of time. But theoretical knowledge is not the same as ability, particularly with the resource constraints that were precipitated by the Mistake and the strict rationing of the Seeding. There were also complex ethical taboos that had to be negotiated. Extended lifespans are energy-expensive propositions, and thus cannot be extended universally. Choosing whose life to extend produces a series of ethical conundrums that are not readily solvable, even with the advent of Ethical Calculus and Polyrationality.

In short, it was not a lack of knowledge that prevented the construction of the Resurrection Device - there was a lack of will to begin the work. Certainly the biological knowledge of n-generational colonists was far beyond what was known on Old Earth, and the resources of the New World at their disposal made the engineering more practical, but there was still some last vestige of restraint that forbore beginning work on a system for making people live forever.

The project itself was highly classified. Social analysis indicated that widespread knowledge of and belief in a Resurrection Device would utterly destabilize society. Work began in compartmentalized research programs, with only a few key people aware of what the overall goal was. When sufficient advances were made, one final facility was created, codenamed "Heavenly City."

This facility operates the Resurrection Protocol under a veil of automation and a deeper mask of secrecy. Few know of the Resurrection Device until they are chosen to undertake it, selected for their apex contributions to culture, science, governance, or religion. Candidates are whisked away to Resurrection City, where the Protocol is applied. Over the course of weeks their body's DNA is repaired, swarms of the most advanced nanites scour the body for developmental defects (which are corrected), and the candidate's brainform is fully holographed for future storage. Only then does the candidate emerge, and then the culture can observe that the candidate reverses in age - becoming younger.

There are many popular theories that explain the Resurrection Device, some of them truly grassroots (such as "Miasma shock") and some carefully crafted by counter-intelligence agencies (of these, "Gort's syndrome" is the most popular). The theories usually attribute the rejuvenation to some mysterious power of the alien world, which is true in part, but only inasmuch as humanity needed a new world to liberate itself from the cult of natural death.

The truth about the Resurrection Protocol would not become known for some time, though most accepted a basic form of the truth: that recipients were the beneficiaries of an experimental treatment regimen that was not yet deemed safe for public use. But even as she emerged from her brief seclusion from public life appearing younger than her grandchildren, Arshia Kishk vowed that one day the Protocol would be made available to all. She would be vindicated in time.

Even while Al Falah was rewriting one of the fundamental laws of human existence, cultural and scientific life continued to thrive.

Word arrived from a triumphant Pan-Asian Cooperative: the PAC-Protectorate war had just seen the capture of Mandira, the Protectorate's capital, by Cooperative forces. Kavitha's central temple and home of her innermost sanctum was summarily consigned to demolition.

Kavitha declared war on Daoming near the beginning of this update.

Industry and agriculture had historically been considered separate and indeed opposing fields of human endeavor. Another fact of human society that Al Falah tossed in the rubbish bin.

+1 production from farms. Also a Harmony building that can be built anywhere and gives food. Life is good.

If not just downright set on fire.

The houri of Wogohna announced their own memorial to Al Falah's mission: a grand spire in the middle of the city, forged from smelted remnants of the Golden Shah's exterior hull. A surprised Morning Star reporter asked the houri why they were memorializing an event that predated their own creation, to which Prime Designate Kha-009 replied that the houri were Al Falah. In its own way, the Golden Shah had brought them to Al-Jalidia as well. The humans of Al Falah were their ancestors, as the houri saw it, and to the houri this monument was an affirmation of their own sense of purpose.

While I've addressed our firaxite shortage, this felt more in character for Al Falah even if it means sacrificing a production boost (gasp!)

Some djinn and houri chose to lend their assistance to the development of Al Falah's infrastructure.

Nanotech fungi covering industrial tailing ponds to leach elements from the 'waste' and extrude them in fruiting bodies of pure elements? Just the latest contribution to industry from Al Falah's scientists.

There was an undeniable distance growing between the people of Al Falah and some of their neighbors, notably the North Sea Alliance and Chungsu. Organic flesh alone is only half of the riddle of life, and to reject the advantages of modern technology simple hubris, to the people of Al Falah. And 'people' in modern times collectively referred to humans, djinn, and houri alike.

The advantages of direct molecular fabrication for scientific research could not be understated.

+10% city science or +10% city industry. The former seems increasingly in character for Al Falah, and contributes to our completely bonkers science rate.

The will of the people would be obeyed. To reestablish contact with Earth would first take a refinement of Al Falah's telecommunications infrastructure.

Which did not take long.

Had the thread voted for unlocking unique Supremacy stuff I would have researched this long ago. Command centers improve a city's defenses, sonar nets improve defenses of sea cities and spot nearby stealth units, feedsite hubs are Supremacy-specific culture buildings, tacnet hubs grant combat bonuses to units in their area of effect, and comm relays grant a substantial orbital radius around them allowing you to leapfrog your orbital coverage to wherever you need it.

From there, Al Falah's orbital communications net required improvement.

And got it. The lasercom satellite would be the key to unlocking contact with Earth: assuming the Eye of Providence still functioned, and anyone on Earth was still accessing the system, the FTL technology of the Progenitors would detect the flashes of laser communication from Barnard's Star and be able to send replies.

Besides being part of the Emancipation and Promised Land victories, lasercom satellites grant +15% science to cities in their area of effect. The Memetwork is a powerful wonder that plays with the affinity system but I don't think it fits us too well in a story sense. Arrays are a mostly pointless tile improvement.

One thing was clear regarding Operation Emancipation: it would put Al Falah's industrial capabilities to the test as never before. The Civil Administration elected to invest in improving those capabilities and the infrastructure supporting them.

Some useful stuff here if you've got the floatstone, and we do.

Was it really any marvel that the greatest feats of Al Falah's ingenuity - the Faraday Gyre, Master Control, Xenodrome, and the still-classified Resurrection Protocol - would become the subject of modern-day legends?

Oh hey, Slavic Federation Screamers. Kozlov's officially gone native.

Machines making machines making machines...

The Crawler is a powerful industrial wonder. LEV plants are a Purity specific production structure. Optical surgeries are a Supremacy specific health structure.

Soon, you lost souls (or long-dead pioneers). Soon.

NSA observers called it an abomination. Chungsu and Slavic diplomats called it a grotesque mockery of Al-Jalidia's gifts. INTEGR diplomats called it a thing of dubious efficiency. Al Falah bioengineers called it Betty.

With preparations for Operation Emancipation underway, bolstering Al Falah's defenses against any more local threats seemed to be in order.

The djinn made such things simple.

Perimeter defenses are, you guessed it, a defensive building for cities. The Panopticon grants extra visibility to all military units. While arguably very in-character for us, it's morally dubious enough that I elect to skip it.

Theoretically, the spatial bridge required by Emancipation was within reach, but after some debate the Assembly declared that a field test of the technology must be performed first. S&D busied themselves with a colony-wide upgrade program for Al Falah's cybernetic augmentations to integrate directly into their cities' functioning.

Why Cybernetics, Bionics, and Augmentation are all separate techs I don't know, and what I'm going for is completely unrelated on the tech web to the tech for the Emancipation Gate. But I have a promise to keep, and this will give us a few useful things along the way.

When asked about the military wisdom of publicly disclosing the inner workings of Al Falah's military command structure, Admiral Nicola de Kooning simply laughed and said she dared anyone on Al-Jalidia to test Al Falah's defenses.

Either a free new spy or added city strength. I actually prefer the latter, but this one felt more in-character for Al Falah.

Arshia Kishk's speech to the Assembly was grave. The lasercom satellite had worked, but contact could only be made with three nations on Earth: the Commonwealth of the Pacific in New Zealand, the Peoples' African Union in Ethiopia, and the Organization of South American States in Colombia. All three told the same, grim story: the Fall had happened, and it had begun less than twenty years after the last Seeding vessel left Earth. The Second Renaissance had slowed Earth's decline, and allowed a brief plateau of prosperity and advancement, but the sense of stability and relief had ultimately been an illusion. When the new equilibrium had broken, the consequences had been catastrophic: rising ocean salinity critically destabilized Earth's ocean currents. When the Gulf Stream failed, North America was plunged into winter and took a huge amount of the world's food production with it. Famine and disease spread, followed by unrest and chaos. One by one, the off-world colonies were abandoned as humanity turned inward and behaved as humanity always had when faced with an uncertain future and limited resources: with violence and reckless aggression. War erupted and soon turned nuclear on a scale well beyond the regional exchange of Pakistan and India during the Mistake. The Slavic Federation, Pan-Asian Cooperative, North Sea Alliance, Franco-Iberia, and Israel had one by one unleashed their arsenals - the old United States had collapsed too far to make use of its own nightmare stockpile.

Only in places made secure by geography and isolation had human civilization worthy of the name survived. Most of Earth had been surrendered to uninhabitable wastelands and the barbarian states of petty tyrants scavenging the ruins of the world before. The last three refuges of civilized humanity had only one plea to their long-lost kin: salvation. A salvation that had become almost a religion to so many on Earth, the dream that one day their lost children in the stars would return and lift them from their shattered world. That the Terrans had no idea what Al Falah had become or what they were asking of Al-Jalidia was both clear and irrelevant, the Assembly decided. Operation Emancipation would continue.

For Ard, work began on the largest single piece of construction equipment yet devised by mankind. Operation Emancipation would demand titanic industrial resources, but Al Falah was game for the challenge.

S&D's work completed on schedule.

Node banks and mosaic hulls are yet more defensive structures, with mosaic hulls exclusive to sea cities. Orbital lasers are orbital units that do exactly what you think they do.

The news of Old Earth's fall only hardened Al Falah's conviction. They may not be the salvation anyone on Earth imagined, three hundred years ago or now, but they were the salvation Earth was getting.

Autogyros! Which are actually a kind of helicopter and I have no idea what this is doing so deep in the tech web or why the tech gives what it does!

The Seraphim officially rendered the manned/unmanned discussion a thing of the past. Seraphim series aerospace fighters were sentient beings in and of themselves.

A new dedicated surface-to-orbit communications array was finished outside Ard.

So arrays are mostly pointless, but building one felt in-character. They give 1 energy, 1 science, and improve the nearby city's orbital coverage by 1 tile.

When contemplating an interstellar journey, a certain desire to tackle the unknown is not simply helpful, it's required.

The djinn pronounced the Crawler's capabilities acceptable.

Daoming is totally not mad I beat her to a wonder she wanted. Lady, your sponsor bonus is building wonders instantly.

Still confused. The CARVR is a Supremacy specific giant robot (not the giant-est robot, but the second biggest) and the Phasal Transporter, well, I'll demonstrate how it works in the next update.

While engineers made final preparations for a field test of the spatial bridge, scientists busied themselves with another secret of genetics: controlling and manipulating epistasis.

A Harmony production building and a Supremacy science building here, like we didn't have enough of either output already.

Oh, and we immediately got upgraded CARVRs.

And +1 science from sonar nets rather than more city strength.

State of Al Falah, Turn 261

The galaxy was a wheel poised to spin, and Al Falah was the fulcrum.

Ard was ready, pending results of the spatial bridge test. The Al Falah Defense Force continued to stage in the waters near the city, the greatest assembly of military might in human history. Even assuming that New Zealand, Ethiopia, and Colombia voluntarily aligned with Al Falah, restoring order to an entire planet in chaos was going to be a monumental undertaking that would require all these craft and more.

You can see little idle animations of the jets on the carrier and Betty taking off, flying around, and landing.

In Farah, construction of the Phasal Transporter for the spatial bridge was underway.

Aswat Adida made the most of the time they had left before the storm. If anyone on Al-Jalidia tried to stop Al Falah from Operation Emancipation, this once wild frontier settlement would likely be Al Falah's front line.

Midfa'a focused their efforts on contributing to the cultural-technological progress of Al Falah.

If a threat came to Al Falah from the west, Miah Mortafi'a would be in danger. Preparations were underway.

Hajar enjoyed an enviable position of security deep in Al Falah's interior territory.

Like Miah Mortafi'a, the houri of Wogohna prepared for the worst.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Golems are the 'ultimate' Supremacy/Purity unit, and honestly kind of pointless with a gimmick that doesn't work.

I've found they're ok if you assume their gimmick is actually "108 points to cram through a portal"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've found they're ok if you assume their gimmick is actually "108 points to cram through a portal"

Alas, I'll be building the gate in the water and the golem's embarked strength is much less than its land strength. I don't think Rising Tide ever patched that to make embarked land units count for their full combat strength when sent through a gate built at sea - that's why I've been exclusively crowding ships, hovertanks, and now an aquillon around the gate site.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Can you at least send our giant-est robot through? That one can walk in shallow waters and is also relatively impractical for actual military use even if it is strong as poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grizzwold posted:

Can you at least send our giant-est robot through? That one can walk in shallow waters and is also relatively impractical for actual military use even if it is strong as poo poo.

The thread didn't vote for giant robots. They voted for Betty.

Also, I'm not building the gate in shallow waters.

Spoiler alert: No one on Earth is going to put up meaningful resistance to Al Falah. Our tech is far, far more advanced. But it's going to take a lot of man-and-djinnpower to subdue an entire world, build the necessary refugee settlements with all the facilities they'll require, start work on creating habitable safe zones, and yes, build the necessary uplift centers for those who volunteer - which will be almost everyone.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 1, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Can we only have one Betty? And if so, can we get a more Al Falah centric view of her? Like how to the citizenry view our flying whaleship?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A friend who played this game told me it's possible to use Betty to send aircraft through the portal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

my dad posted:

A friend who played this game told me it's possible to use Betty to send aircraft through the portal.

It's a carrier, so yeah it's theoretically possible. I'm planning to send our actual carrier in first. It's loaded up with planes so I'll see how much that impacts the meter, whether it's just the carrier or counts the planes as well. I've never done it before since it's highly inefficient, but what the hey.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Can we only have one Betty? And if so, can we get a more Al Falah centric view of her? Like how to the citizenry view our flying whaleship?

Here's the civlopedia on the Aquilon:

quote:

The Aquilon is an organic, floating aircraft carrier, controlled and maintained by mechanical augmentations. The mindless lifeform comprising the bulk of the vehicle could only loosely be called a creature, although the scientists who “raise” them have been known to become quite attached. The body is created by genetically modifying the local wildlife, and harvesting tissue from their internal organs. The tissue is then exposed to radiation and given massive quantities of oxygen and nutrients. Eventually the tumor-like creature is uplinked to a sophisticated mechanical control module, as well as weaponry and a sonar system. The result is the fearsome Aquilon.

Thanks to its organic origins, it can produce a massive amount of energy by combining photosynthesis and thermoelectric generators. This combination is only brought to full effect when stationary, thanks to the delicate nature of the photosynthetic process. However, when kept still, it allows for greatly enhanced firing capabilities. This leaves the onboard operators with a variety of choices in combat, and helps keep the crew safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Welp. I can't save that wrecked lander after all. Only combat units can use the phasal transporter, and explorers aren't considered combat units.