Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm curious how many calories you burn in a given day, goddamn. I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yesterday I ate seven cliff bars while on the hike. I got really hungry about two miles from being back from the trailhead, but by that point I couldn't bear the thought of eating about cliff bar.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I love the random yaks! That must have been so bizarre. When I was near Gould/Walden last week my wife and I spotted the wolf that's been around. No pictures since it passed so fast. It was a large black wolf with a tracking collar.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2019/07/09/colorado-wolf-sighting-could-first-state-since-2015/1683487001/

Also like the columbine pictures, great shots!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Aw poo poo I had no idea there was a wolf around too, that's nuts!

Last night was ridiculous, Task Force Trash Panda halted an invasion of unprecedented size. Need to write my dog up an award citation and get him some treats for being such a good boy.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

The Rat posted:

Aw poo poo I had no idea there was a wolf around too, that's nuts!

Last night was ridiculous, Task Force Trash Panda halted an invasion of unprecedented size. Need to write my dog up an award citation and get him some treats for being such a good boy.

How many raccoons and possums do you shoot in a year? :v:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

No possums here thankfully. Raccoons are usually about 8-10 a year on average. A couple years ago was the outlier with 18 raccoons and a skunk.

Would really rather have the extra sleep. But then again don't want to wake up to a coop full of headless chickens either.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
My camera is not nearly as nice since it's an iphone but I was also out and about the last few weeks.

On the way to Mt Agassiz

Looking at Hayden, A-1, and Kletting Peaks

Blue Lake

Looking south from atop a mountain called Wasatch BM

Looking at Mt Lovenia

NW Wasatch and Tokewanna Peak. We had done NW Wasatch to get to where we were

Looking to the west

Our descent route was the chute on the left, a bit sketchy but we came out alright

Mt Lovenia, the goal for the day

The view from the pass

Looking at Squaw, Explorer, and Cleveland Peaks

The valley I came in on

A nice rainbow appeared the last mile of the hike.

It ended up being 25 miles roundtrip with a decent chunk of elevation thrown in

The week before I had also gone out and tried to do the same thing, but right as I got to the pass a huge fuckoff thunderstorm rolled up and chased me off. Two miles down the trail it starts raining and hailing in earnest and doesn't let up for 30 minutes creating a nice flash flood situation. The streams I had crossed to get there went from ankle deep to knee/thigh deep with more speed. I ended up doing about 4 miles of off trail since the main fork was far too insane to ford, luckily the trail eventually came back then ended with a bridge. That was 22 miles of bullshit

Bonus pic of some mountains in the Olympics from the top of Grey Wolf Ridge

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Dang those are gorgeous, I'm loving the last one with the low fog especially.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Rat posted:

No possums here thankfully. Raccoons are usually about 8-10 a year on average. A couple years ago was the outlier with 18 raccoons and a skunk.

Would really rather have the extra sleep. But then again don't want to wake up to a coop full of headless chickens either.

I got a grey squirrel tearing up my basement and he's managed to to out-fox me for over a week now. Getting so annoyed.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Have you thought of a 22 pellet rifle with silencer and gas piston rather than spring drive? They're $200ish and subsonic.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Rat posted:

Have you thought of a 22 pellet rifle with silencer and gas piston rather than spring drive? They're $200ish and subsonic.

If I could catch him the open.... currently the only entrance in is trapped up but he refuses to enter it so he’s stuck in the basement behind some stuff I can’t get at easily. He’s either got starve to death or get trapped or dig out somehow.

I do have a gamo whisper all dialed in for any other gray squirrels hanging around.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 13, 2019

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

whats the legality on a silencer for a pellet gun? do they work the same way as regular silencer?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

They work in the same way that real silencers do, but since they're permanently fixed to the barrel and unable to handle any real firearm cartridge pressure, they don't count as far as the NFA is concerned.

A Gamo Whisper like LingcodKilla references can be bought off the shelf.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Rat posted:

They work in the same way that real silencers do, but since they're permanently fixed to the barrel and unable to handle any real firearm cartridge pressure, they don't count as far as the NFA is concerned.

A Gamo Whisper like LingcodKilla references can be bought off the shelf.

Yeah I’ve used some other high power air rifles and they are quiet a bit louder. The Whisper was a good compromise but I think the 22 would have been better than the 177.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah the 22 pellets/rifles are mostly subsonic which helps a ton. The gas piston makes less noise than the loud SPROING sound that regular spring driven guns do as well.

I had a Benjamin in that config and it worked well, though I gave it to my nephew after my actual cans cleared.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Get a compound bow and some judo points and feel like Hawkeyekatniss while you merc pests

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Never thought I'd say this, but I regret having left my standard angle lens at home today. Luckily, taking pics in hi-res mode means I can crop a bunch and it's still ok.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Anyone hike in West Glacier NP? I'm headed there the 9th-13th of September. I'm staying at a place that allows me to kennel my dogs so I'm open to day hikes.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I was there once several years ago and did the Highline trail loop and the side trail to the Grinnell glacier overlook, and the Avalanche lake hike. Thumbs up to both. Wish I had explored more while I was there, hoping to go back someday.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MonkeyWash posted:

Anyone hike in West Glacier NP? I'm headed there the 9th-13th of September. I'm staying at a place that allows me to kennel my dogs so I'm open to day hikes.

Yea I was in that area last September. What do you want to know?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hit those like and subscribe buttons, broken vet fam

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea I was in that area last September. What do you want to know?

Looking for some day hike suggestions on the West Side. I haven't been able to hike in a year due to health issues, so hikes under 7 miles. How was the weather and crowds in September?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MonkeyWash posted:

Looking for some day hike suggestions on the West Side. I haven't been able to hike in a year due to health issues, so hikes under 7 miles. How was the weather and crowds in September?

This time of year, expect massive crowds. Now you can not deal with this bullshit by getting to the park very early or late in the day — getting there between 9-2 is risking a bad time.

I highly highly recommend you get to the park (Logan Pass visitor center/trailheads) by 7-7:30.

Hikes to do in a day:
Hidden Lake — about 3 miles
High Line - as long as you want or multi-day: it’s long

Check out AllTrails.com. The site has a really nice filtering system for trails based on elevation, distance, difficulty, popularity. Should be free but will need to pay money to download maps to a phone or gps device.

Are you staying in Kalispell or Columbia Falls? Plan on driving 2.5 hours one way to reach Logan Pass Visitor Center-add another hour to reach trails on the eastern side. If Going To The Sun Road is closed, there is an alternate route to the eastern side, that’ll be 3 ish hours or so.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Thanks for the information. Will definitely be hiking early, I like to see wildlife, not people. I use All-Trails but their rating system isn't that great. I've done some moderate hikes that were difficult and some hard hikes that were easy, that's why I was hoping for some personal experiences. Definitely appreciate the suggestions. I'll be staying in Columbia Falls.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MonkeyWash posted:

Thanks for the information. Will definitely be hiking early, I like to see wildlife, not people. I use All-Trails but their rating system isn't that great. I've done some moderate hikes that were difficult and some hard hikes that were easy, that's why I was hoping for some personal experiences. Definitely appreciate the suggestions. I'll be staying in Columbia Falls.

Yea I’ve had the same experience. I typically look at distance and elevation gain as a barometer for difficulty. Anything above 700ft per mile could be gnarly depending on how the gain is distributed.

I hiked a trail in Colorado that gained 2700’ in two miles. loving yikes.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The worst I've done so far was the long draw route into the Black Canyon. 1 mile, 1800 feet of elevation change. Of course half of that mile is on the road going from the parking lot to the descent point, so really all that change is within half a mile :q:

Monkeywash, avalanche lake would be a great one for you based on your requirements.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Also High Line is a great test if you’re unaware of having a fear of heights.

Angel’s Landing in Zion is an even better test.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Angel's landing never really gave me that fear of heights feeling. The hidden canyon trail just across the river though, that one was a doozy.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

holocaust bloopers posted:

Also High Line is a great test if you’re unaware of having a fear of heights.

Angel’s Landing in Zion is an even better test.

I'm not afraid of heights but I learned the wife is while we were hiking some rock fins in Arches, she froze up. Zion is on my list for next year. I've taken my wife gym climbing since then so hopefully she's not as afraid of exposure.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post pics when I get back. I'm hitting Eastern Yellowstone on the way back. Hoping to photograph wolves in Lamar Valley.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cool cool.

Zion, and the town of Springdale, was awesome. We did an ATV tour of the Mojave, which was super loving fun. I can give you the name of the company we booked it through.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Angel's landing never really gave me that fear of heights feeling. The hidden canyon trail just across the river though, that one was a doozy.

Neither trail bothered me much, although the half-mile chains up Angel’s Landing did make me focus a lot more of foot placement.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Angel's Landing would be totally fine zero sketchiness if it wasn't packed wall to wall with a Disney level crowd threatening to mindlessly bump you off the chains while they take a group photo with their gopros on selfie sticks

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Angel's Landing would be totally fine zero sketchiness if it wasn't packed wall to wall with a Disney level crowd threatening to mindlessly bump you off the chains while they take a group photo with their gopros on selfie sticks

I had the misfortune of visiting during the shutdown. So the drone assholes came out of the woodwork.

One started leaning over the edge to recover his drone, was hoping he would fall but no such luck.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hiked it really early in the morning. On the way back, I saw a handful of people terrified. One girl in particular was crying pretty hard and her rear end in a top hat boyfriend kept pushing her further and further up the chains. She was too scared to even get on only her feet.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, getting boots on trail before the sun is up is the best way to go. I went when it was winter with no shuttle going, so I just drove in and parked right at the trailhead at like 5AM.

Also it sounds 40k as gently caress to say "I hit Angel's Landing at dawn." :v:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yep we hit Zion and Bryce in November. It was perfect. Honestly, the best time to see parks are after Labor Day. Crowds are so scarce outside of like 10-2.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I convinced my wife to leave a couple days early so now we are going to hit up Grand Teton NP on the way to Glacier. Spent our anniversary there a couple years ago on May 1st. We were the first to drive the road to Jenny lake as it opened for the season, was pretty cool having the place to ourselves. We stayed at a B&B in Moose, WY last time, this time we are staying in a Conestoga wagon. She's worried about bears, I figure if I get eaten it's just the circle of life, I've had a good run.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hell yeah, that will be fun. If you're going from GT to Glacier, if you have time on your itinerary, stop at Lewis and Clark Caves State Park. It's a really nice cave with guided tours.

May want to grab some bear spray though, just in case.

Edit for yesterday's photos so as to not double post.

Chasm lake.

Waterfall overlooking Peacock pool on the way down.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 1, 2019

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Great photos, I love the waterfall. Thanks for the cave suggestion, I will be going by it so will definitely stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Chasm lake is a super fun hike, it's too bad the water is so goddamn cold because it would otherwise make a great swimming hole