Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does anyone know a good way to ship about 90 issues of a comic book? I have some kinda sorta ideas but I don't know how practical/expensive they might be. I figured maybe someone here has done this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Get some golden age bags, put about 20 books in each one, tape all those bricks together with cardboard around the sides. Bubble wrap at least 2 inches thick on all sides.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If time isn't a factor and assuming you're shipping inside the US, Media Mail through USPS will probably be the cheapest way send it after you got it packed up. I know Rhyno has sold a lot of comics through ebay so I'm going to assume he's correct on proper packing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Get some golden age bags, put about 20 books in each one, tape all those bricks together with cardboard around the sides. Bubble wrap at least 2 inches thick on all sides.

I'm more concerned with what kind of box to use and what's the best/cheapest shipping option.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

If time isn't a factor and assuming you're shipping inside the US, Media Mail through USPS will probably be the cheapest way send it after you got it packed up. I know Rhyno has sold a lot of comics through ebay so I'm going to assume he's correct on proper packing.

The problem with media mail is that comic books are prohibited so if there is some kind of problem in shipping then it won't be insured. So far I'm thinking three medium flat rate boxes will be the best idea given the situation, but I'm hoping someone has a better idea. Basically I don't want potential buyers to be scared off because of the shipping rate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

The problem with media mail is that comic books are prohibited so if there is some kind of problem in shipping then it won't be insured. So far I'm thinking three medium flat rate boxes will be the best idea given the situation, but I'm hoping someone has a better idea. Basically I don't want potential buyers to be scared off because of the shipping rate.

Oh wow, I never realized. I guess I mostly was dealing with graphic novels when I was shipping via media mail.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Oh wow, I never realized. I guess I mostly was dealing with graphic novels when I was shipping via media mail.

It's some stupid rule about ad content. Trades are okay because they're technically books. I've sent single issues of poo poo through media, but I'd rather not chance it for a lot of books that's worth at least a couple hundred dollars.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you find a good guide, please share it here. I'm going to try to sell the majority of my collection in the future, and I'm going to be in your boat too. Right now I'm selling another unfortunate collection first.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Try selling locally first. It'll save so many headaches.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gail Simone is an absolute treasure in terms of trolling people on the internet.

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1167044374242316293?s=20

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What's a good website for checking prices of single issues? I'm getting rid of a bunch, and I'm curious about a few of them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So it turns out I'm a loving moron and those books will fit into a large flat rate box. I just assumed 90 books would be a larger stack than it was. Which was also why I assumed I didn't find all of them yet and went through four or five long boxes of unsorted comic books when I didn't need to. They can go into a medium flat rate box, but with bags and boards it will be a snug fit and I'd rather not have something happen to them and then have an ebay buyer whining about it. Thanks for the responses though.

lifg posted:

What's a good website for checking prices of single issues? I'm getting rid of a bunch, and I'm curious about a few of them.

Someone might have a better answer but I'd just check ebay sold auctions since prices for comic books often fluctuate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CPL593H posted:

So it turns out I'm a loving moron and those books will fit into a large flat rate box. I just assumed 90 books would be a larger stack than it was. Which was also why I assumed I didn't find all of them yet and went through four or five long boxes of unsorted comic books when I didn't need to. They can go into a medium flat rate box, but with bags and boards it will be a snug fit and I'd rather not have something happen to them and then have an ebay buyer whining about it. Thanks for the responses though.

Someone might have a better answer but I'd just check ebay sold auctions since prices for comic books often fluctuate.

Long boxes fit 100 comics usually.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Covok posted:

Long boxes fit 100 comics usually.

Nah, long boxes hold about 300 books. Short boxes are closer to 100 but I think they might even hold a little more than that. Anyway, I was worried that figuring out how best to mail there and what that would even cost would be a big hassle but it's not after all. The shipping rates have gone insane in the last few years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BCW boxes are slightly longer. Longs hold 315 bagged and boarded, Shorts about 175.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rhyno posted:

BCW boxes are slightly longer. Longs hold 315 bagged and boarded, Shorts about 175.

Uh, if this thing is holding 315 per box and I have four full boxes after only buying comics physically in 2016...

Oh...oh dear.

Good thing I cut back.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Do ebay buyers lose their loving minds if you bag without boarding or is this a case by case basis?

Covok
May 27, 2013

CPL593H posted:

Do ebay buyers lose their loving minds if you bag without boarding or is this a case by case basis?

If I bought single issues online that were not bagged AND boarded, I would be pretty pissed off. Picking them up from a store is one thing since there is little chance for it to get damaged in transit. Also, now I have to do all that poo poo myself and that's annoying. Take that as you will.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Just be really specific about what you're including (bags, boards, both, or neither) so nobody can throw a tantrum or claim they were disappointed or ripped off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Just be really specific about what you're including (bags, boards, both, or neither) so nobody can throw a tantrum or claim they were disappointed or ripped off.

When I sell poo poo I make sure to describe in autistic detail everything that must be known about the item so no one whines. So far it's worked. Basically it's much less of a hassle to not board all issues because it can't fit into a flat rate box with the boards. I'm selling the complete series of the Boys by Garth Ennis so it's about 90 books with the miniseries. I'm boarding the first six issues because they're the most valuable.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Gail Simone is an absolute treasure in terms of trolling people on the internet.

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1167044374242316293?s=20

Not sure this tops "The Punisher would be prettier if he smiled more", but it's a solid effort nonetheless

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Covok posted:

Uh, if this thing is holding 315 per box and I have four full boxes after only buying comics physically in 2016...

Oh...oh dear.

Good thing I cut back.

This is a LARGE part of why I switched to digital.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

When I sell poo poo I make sure to describe in autistic detail everything that must be known about the item so no one whines. So far it's worked. Basically it's much less of a hassle to not board all issues because it can't fit into a flat rate box with the boards. I'm selling the complete series of the Boys by Garth Ennis so it's about 90 books with the miniseries. I'm boarding the first six issues because they're the most valuable.

Yeah, with a larger number of issues like that I wouldn't expect them all to be boarded.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CPL593H posted:

When I sell poo poo I make sure to describe in autistic detail

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I've felt for a while that I had outgrown Preacher (and Ennis in general), so I just sold my nine Preacher TPBs to an old college dorm friend for a reasonable $60. I enjoyed it back around 2001 when I binge-read the series, but I felt only relief having them gone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Even if you note that you're bulk packing without boards buyers get lovely. I always gave the option to oat an extra $6 for individual bags and boards just based on weight but everyone buying bulk on Ebay is a broke rear end bitch.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm actually on the spectrum.

Rhyno posted:

Even if you note that you're bulk packing without boards buyers get lovely. I always gave the option to oat an extra $6 for individual bags and boards just based on weight but everyone buying bulk on Ebay is a broke rear end bitch.

That's what I was worried about. I talked to a guy I buy comic books from and he said he's split up collections like this into two flat rate boxes before and not had any problem. What I should have done was weighed them today so I could have had an idea what that costs to ship if I didn't use flat rate boxes but I'm stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You'll find that flat rate ends up being the better deal for small lots. I bulk shipped 130+ issues of bagged and boarded comics and the shipping was north of $50.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1167595653762973696

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So on Thursday Marvel changed people's login ID for Marvel Unlimited, oddly enough almost a year to the day that they forced a change to login ID. They did not send out a notification for this. So that's bad. Then they closed their support down for a four day Labor Day weekend, right after they made an unannounced change that locked people out of their accounts.

That's some really special customer service there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They sent out a notification to at least some people, because I got one that said my login was changing due to the Disney brand account consolidation.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I also got the email earlier this week.

EDIT: Actually nine days ago.

quote:

Important Update About Your Marvel Account

Hello,

We wanted to let you know of some upcoming changes to the way you access your Marvel account.

Starting on 8/27/2019, you will no longer be able to log in to Marvel sites and apps using your username ******** - this includes accessing:

Marvel.com
Marvel Insider
Marvel Unlimited - App and Web
Marvel Comics App
Marvel Digital Comic Shop
Marvel Print Subscriptions

To access your Marvel account beginning on 8/27/2019 you will need to login by using the email address associated with your account, ********@gmail.com.

Additionally, your Marvel account will now be part of The Walt Disney Company login system. This will allow you to use your Marvel account across multiple Disney sites and apps including: Star Wars, ESPN, ABC and more.

Since your Marvel account email is already associated with an existing ESPN account, starting on 8/27/2019 you will login to your Marvel account using the same email/password as your ESPN account credentials.

Please note any subscriptions, purchases, or preferences associated with your account will not be affected by this transition.

Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions at OnlineSupport@marvel.com.

Best,
Marvel Support Team

X-O fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 1, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ESPN? What a nerd!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yep, I got that email, too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I got the same, including the ESPN part, and I don't remember setting up an ESPN account.

I do agree it's dumb to time the switch over so it happens at the same time as a long weekend when their customer service people will be gone.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I didn't get that e-mail, weirdly enough, but my MU sub definitely broke when they did the migration. I hadn't been able to login since Monday and I'd been going back and forth with support over e-mail with no results. What worked for me was going to Disney.com (like you're going to book a trip to Disney World) and logging in with my Marvel credentials. I then got some kind of "Hang on while we build your Disney account!" message and MU has worked fine ever since. Seems like the migration was supposed to pull all my account credentials together in a way that didn't happen until I tried to login to Disney.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Weird. I definitely did not get the e-mail. I got plenty of other e-mails from them, but not that one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I did not get it for my Marvel account, but I did for another Disney account (movie rewards).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't get any from disney accounts but I did have to reset my twitch and reddit passwords. Wonder what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
http://www.multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2019/

I own Hellboy Library Editions 1 and 3 and I need to add some stuff to my Christmas list. This reading list is a bit complicated to me, but is it the case that the Library Editions contain everything that would be in the omnibuses? Like, the first omnibus mentions two volumes of short stories--are those included in the Library Editions?

Basically, if I ask for the other Library Editions, is that all the Hellboy material? Or would it be missing certain core Hellboy stuff that the omnibuses contain?