Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

chumbler posted:

Where do you get the Eva color scheme for your legions? I just started file 4 so maybe I missed it.

It’s the reward for completing all the training programs on the computer in the training room, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

finished File 03 and so far it's good but man I was screaming at this game for some huge bullshit. That loving Arrow boss, when he puts the walls coming toward you, man if your Legion is on low energy you wont be able to jump away or use the cutting tech to get rid of the walls. So you'll just loving get pushed to your loving death. Worse was the Cerberus boss earlier, I had NO clue what the secret was to fighting him. I just burned through so many medicines while trying to figure out if there was something I was missing other than brute force fighting him and taking bullshit hits.

The game to this point is taking the worst of Platinum's habits i.e. W101 wherein you're forced to eat poo poo on your first playthrough to an extreme level because you don't have great peripherals or upgrades necessary. Also the platforming has killed me a few times so thanks for the -200 health. And goddamn the ranking scale is all over the place.

I dunno, maybe it was a mistake playing this on P+ difficulty outright but those 2 bosses pissed me off so loving badly. Maybe now that I have a new Legion things will get better but holy gently caress I can't remember the last time I got so angry at a game. I've beaten DMC5 multiple times and have been a high difficulty player on that forever so I feel these faults are with the game just throwing stupid poo poo right now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

finished File 03 and so far it's good but man I was screaming at this game for some huge bullshit. That loving Arrow boss, when he puts the walls coming toward you, man if your Legion is on low energy you wont be able to jump away or use the cutting tech to get rid of the walls. So you'll just loving get pushed to your loving death. Worse was the Cerberus boss earlier, I had NO clue what the secret was to fighting him. I just burned through so many medicines while trying to figure out if there was something I was missing other than brute force fighting him and taking bullshit hits.

The game to this point is taking the worst of Platinum's habits i.e. W101 wherein you're forced to eat poo poo on your first playthrough to an extreme level because you don't have great peripherals or upgrades necessary. Also the platforming has killed me a few times so thanks for the -200 health. And goddamn the ranking scale is all over the place.

I dunno, maybe it was a mistake playing this on P+ difficulty outright but those 2 bosses pissed me off so loving badly. Maybe now that I have a new Legion things will get better but holy gently caress I can't remember the last time I got so angry at a game. I've beaten DMC5 multiple times and have been a high difficulty player on that forever so I feel these faults are with the game just throwing stupid poo poo right now.

Not to say the arrow boss isn't a bit bullshit, but I don't think they intended that you'd cut through them and then jump. The cutting thing is there if you don't have a path around them. It is a bit of a problem though that one panel is wide enough that you can't really cut it when it's right on top of you.

Snake Maze posted:

It’s the reward for completing all the training programs on the computer in the training room, iirc

Thanks, that's probably it because I skipped the movement and camera stuff.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I literally just wailed on the Cerberus boss and it went down - did he have a gimmick..?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I literally just wailed on the Cerberus boss and it went down - did he have a gimmick..?

that's what I was assuming since he had so many annoying attacks; I figured "I have to be able to use the new sword tech against him somehow right?" but I guess I worked myself into a shoot on it

chumbler posted:

Not to say the arrow boss isn't a bit bullshit, but I don't think they intended that you'd cut through them and then jump. The cutting thing is there if you don't have a path around them. It is a bit of a problem though that one panel is wide enough that you can't really cut it when it's right on top of you.

I think the big problem was if your legion energy expired then you just have no time to leap to another platform or cut those walls. It felt like such a "gently caress you lol" moment especially because at that point I had several unearned deaths due to wonky platforming beforehand.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Why did I just send a steet artist to prison?

Cause his art sucks

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

DalaranJ posted:

Well, that counterslash tutorial was pretty overwhelming. Just move both analog sticks while holding down R3 while looking for an invisible line. You have a quarter of a second. So, looking forward to having to use that multiple times on bosses.

And there are definitely four empty slots for legions and each one of them is going to have an equally difficult special mode to master, huh?

Slash is another fine example of “let’s make the game seem bad in the first two chapters”. It’s by far the clunkiest move in the game (with some of the later Arms puzzles taking honorable mention).

The other four legion abilities are all either much easier to control (arrow legion controls almost identically to BotW’s bow, motion assist and all) or they function as a shield/mount/hazard protection and don’t have discrete controls at all.

Also you very rarely NEED to use slash in combat - afaik it’s only required on one type of mob pairing which is fairly uncommon (at least as of ch 9).

Leathal fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 1, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Leathal posted:

Also you very rarely NEED to use slash in combat - afaik it’s only required on one type of mob pairing which is fairly uncommon (at least as of ch 9).

thank gently caress. I thought it was neat they tried to implement Revengeance things in the game but that mechanic just does not work in this combat

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Assuming the above poster means the little flying controller-type enemies in file 3 and on, it's not even particularly hard. No 0.25 second counter window, it's just get a good angle and cut a line, so it's really not too bad.

The counter-slash thing is real excessive in more than one way and it's kind of annoying that they force you to train for it.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I get having a more restricted moveset during the first two levels until you go blue-hair, but having you do literally 80% less damage with your attacks as well was just a baffling decision. It makes the gorilla and the first boss extremely damage spongy, and worse it makes it seem like the game is going to be mainly about having your Legions do the damage, V from DMC5 style, because they do like 5x more damage than you do at that point. You'll trivially get S+ ranks all through that chapter if you immediately replay it just because the par times are based on you using a wiffle ball bat to kill things.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just wanted to let you know the logo is a mountain dew flavor and now you won't be unable to unsee it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am stupid and don't know where to go. I am at this section where I need to investigate some crimes first. I stopped the graffiti artist, answered the questions from the kids, and stopped the out of control robot arm. I am not sure what else I need to do? I think all that is left is to figure out why a police air drone was shot at, but I don't know where on the map to go. There's no markers pointing me in the right direction. Are there any other side objectives I am missing?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

I am stupid and don't know where to go. I am at this section where I need to investigate some crimes first. I stopped the graffiti artist, answered the questions from the kids, and stopped the out of control robot arm. I am not sure what else I need to do? I think all that is left is to figure out why a police air drone was shot at, but I don't know where on the map to go. There's no markers pointing me in the right direction. Are there any other side objectives I am missing?

Did you examine every part of the drone footage?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Did you examine every part of the drone footage?

I believe so! Do you know how many pieces there are and where they are located? I think I examined 4 total.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Did you get the keyword from talking to the kid next to the merchant? Did you eavesdrop on the people on the staircase? Did you solve the quintuplets' riddle?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Agnostalgia posted:

Did you get the keyword from talking to the kid next to the merchant? Did you eavesdrop on the people on the staircase? Did you solve the quintuplets' riddle?

Did not do those! Thank you for helping put me in the right direction. I'm really bad at segments like this in video games.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Assuming the above poster means the little flying controller-type enemies in file 3 and on, it's not even particularly hard. No 0.25 second counter window, it's just get a good angle and cut a line, so it's really not too bad.

Oh, yeah, I saw some enemies in trailers that had a leash, that seems like it would be super easily to deal with.

Agnostalgia posted:

I get having a more restricted moveset during the first two levels until you go blue-hair,

What. drat it, I'm going to have to change my default hair color away from blue, aren't I?

chumbler posted:

Thanks, that's probably it because I skipped the movement and camera stuff.

You can also get one early from using the bathroom stall in the police station.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Two questions -

-Can I do anything with the cats at the saferoom

-How do I pet my wolf demon and tell him he's a good boy

edit: I obsessively change my uniform/colour scheme/Legion colours every chapter because I absolutely cannot be trusted with Character Customization

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

YggiDee posted:

Two questions -

-Can I do anything with the cats at the saferoom

-How do I pet my wolf demon and tell him he's a good boy

edit: I obsessively change my uniform/colour scheme/Legion colours every chapter because I absolutely cannot be trusted with Character Customization

You can feed them if you have cat food (also there's a stray cat hidden in every chapter to rescue)

You can pet him by facing the legion and pressing A. I think you need to not have any tracking items or else that takes priority.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Thinking about changing the title to In the line of booty: Astral Chain (but seriously how do I play this?)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://imgur.com/a/vL4edct

Some very good tips here.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Yeah the platforming is just straight terrible. I have missed jumps due to:

1. Getting caught on some minute piece of geometry at the start of my jump

2. 1) but then I slide off the platform at the end due to residual momentum and lost 200HP

3. My chain wrapped around a column deciding to tell physics to gently caress itself and phasing through the column

4. Being pulled by my Legion off the platform as I wrapped the chain around a column

I don't believe for a split second they didn't catch this in playtesting.

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 2, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pylons posted:

https://imgur.com/a/vL4edct

Some very good tips here.

Interesting bits with the sword slash.

Too bad I still wont use it cause it requires way too many inputs in a small time frame to be of use.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Leal posted:

Interesting bits with the sword slash.

Too bad I still wont use it cause it requires way too many inputs in a small time frame to be of use.

Don't forget you can click the right stick to slow down time a ton while aiming. It's situational but I find it useful for those really strong, huge aoe, highly telegraphed attacks from the giant chimeras.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it should really slow down time automatically, there's no occasion you wouldn't want it to do that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

it should really slow down time automatically, there's no occasion you wouldn't want it to do that

Slowing down time drains your energy bar super fast, if you know the attack is coming you want to wait until it's closer to coming out.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh right. well here's a different complaint: i can barely see those blue and red squiggly lines :colbert:

i only made it to file 3 today because i got so frustrated with 2 the night it came out. it's super impressive how dedicated they were to making the game play bad from the start, like even your dodge changes and gets way better

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

ImpAtom posted:

Slowing down time drains your energy bar super fast, if you know the attack is coming you want to wait until it's closer to coming out.

Yeah, but then I can just time my L button press for it. Clicking the right stick for time-senstive events is pretty awkward.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Spotted this fanart

https://twitter.com/MariShimazaki/status/1167389661536219136?s=20

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's by the lady who designed the character bayonetta, so she apparently ships bayonetta with the male protagonist

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
chiming in to say the voice acting in this game is such a breath of fresh air.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

negativeneil posted:

chiming in to say the voice acting in this game is such a breath of fresh air.

Eh, I think it's mostly just kind of okay, but Jin seems bizarrely bad, like he had no direction for any of his scenes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is Jin voiced by the same guy that voices Malos in Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Sometimes Jin sounds bored but when he chews the scenery he sounds like a dead ringer for Malos's scenery chomping.

"Where the HELL did these guys come from?" in chapter 2/file2 whatever is what put it in my head and now I can't unhear it. It would also be funny for it's own reasons considering Malos's love interest in XC2 :v:

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Does Legion Maintenance do anything, or is it just extra fluff to let you look at the model? Only at the start of chapter 3 right now.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

chumbler posted:

Eh, I think it's mostly just kind of okay, but Jin seems bizarrely bad, like he had no direction for any of his scenes.

I agree with this. While looking for a way to change dialogue audio I saw a lot of people say that the English VA'ing was way better than the Japanese, but I'm not hearing that personally. It sounds awkward and stilted (and I don't mean in the typical "actors trying to take Japanese fantasy melodrama seriously") in some places. Something about English Max also bothers me.

It isn't bad, but I'm not hearing a major difference in quality. I ended up switching to Japanese audio, although part of that was also because the lip syncing seems to be done with that in mind.

Other than that, I was able to start on the game last night. Made it halfway through the second case, so the game still hasn't "opened up" yet. I'm still interested in it so far. People were right about how much the game expects you to replay it after unlocking new abilities. There are context actions littered everywhere that require later game skills (including to save a kitty, which is just mean, Astral Chain. Don't do that to me while holding the skill out of reach).

Also the camera is driving me up the wall with how bad it is. I spend more time fighting it than the enemies. The toggle options in the menu don't seem to do anything either.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I beat File 4 and I absolutely adore this game. Now I have a decent set of legions to play about with, I started unlocking some skills and some of these seem incredibly useful I feel like they are necessary. Perfect Call is the parry button i've been waiting for and it feels so good. Now all I need is to find a taunt button and whatever button lets me pet my doggo.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I beat File 4 and I absolutely adore this game. Now I have a decent set of legions to play about with, I started unlocking some skills and some of these seem incredibly useful I feel like they are necessary. Perfect Call is the parry button i've been waiting for and it feels so good. Now all I need is to find a taunt button and whatever button lets me pet my doggo.

Woof:

Apparently if you stand in front of it and press [whatever you have assigned to "Show the doggy a thing to smell"] while you don#'t have anything to be smelled, you will Pat The Dog.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Flint_Paper posted:

Woof:

Apparently if you stand in front of it and press [whatever you have assigned to "Show the doggy a thing to smell"] while you don#'t have anything to be smelled, you will Pat The Dog.

Yesssss thank you. Will try that tonight.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
This game has the most frustrating you're low on life visual effect. Yes, I will get good so I don't have to suffer through it.

Now that I'm further into the game I dont know how someone consistently gets S ranks without assist mode. I'm not particularly great and consistently getting D's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

JackDarko posted:

This game has the most frustrating you're low on life visual effect. Yes, I will get good so I don't have to suffer through it.

Now that I'm further into the game I dont know how someone consistently gets S ranks without assist mode. I'm not particularly great and consistently getting D's.

You basically get a crap load of points just for using as many mechanics as possible over the course of a fight. Change legions, change weapons, perfect call, perfect dodge, sync attack, backstab, legion skills, chain bind, etc. You can actually take a hell of a beating and still get an S+ rank if you just activate as many of these bonuses as you can.

Bland fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 2, 2019