Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Cojawfee posted:

I just don't get how I can be 26 hours into this game and an entire half of every space station is locked off to me. I know that I can go to those people over there to upgrade my stuff but the only option I get is "leave" and I don't know what I'm supposed to do to get them to let me buy more storage space on my suit.

You don't buy exosuit storage upgrades from an NPC, you interact with an object at one of the corners of the station. A holographic backpack will appear when you get close to it. I don't know why the NPCs won't talk to you, maybe you've got some unfinished tutorial missions or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So I'm trying to play with a controller and does this game just not have true Switch controller support? it says it has an official configuration and it DOES work. however every controller prompt is replaced with this.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So I'm trying to play with a controller and does this game just not have true Switch controller support? it says it has an official configuration and it DOES work. however every controller prompt is replaced with this.

That's just one of two "we don't have a graphic for this keybind" icons. Multiple people work on this game but a lot of the time it feels like they don't loving talk to each other.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like this game is actively trying to prevent me from enjoying it at this point.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Found an extreme weather aggressive sentinels planet and so far far I am loving it. It's also making GBS threads gravitino balls and storm crystals.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I feel like this game is actively trying to prevent me from enjoying it at this point.

New thread name. It's pointlessly frustrating and needlessly obtuse now, I can't imagine what a nightmare this was at launch.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

New thread name. It's pointlessly frustrating and needlessly obtuse now, I can't imagine what a nightmare this was at launch.
It's always been this weird and lovely but at launch it was insanely simplistic by comparison. Obtuse, sure, but only for a small set of "why does this do this and how do I get that thing" stuff that never would've mattered because the only stuff to do was wander around. Buildings, portals, farming, exocrafts, and quests made everything way more complicated, but there's always been the feeling that the co-workers never talked to each other, there was so much weirdly wrong with the game.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I played a bit of the update on PC with an xbox controller and that icon showed up, I think it was for operating the pulse engine? It was very confusing, as the prompts had always been there before. At least I remembered what they were

There have been a bunch of patches so maybe it got fixed? This fuckin game :v:

I lost my old save from last year and I don't know what was going on that it clicked with me so hard at the time, but starting out from scratch again felt like such a monumental task in grinding back up that I just quit after a half hour and haven't been back. I'm not a big game-replayer tho, so I got my :20bux: worth for sure. Just sucks that my old computer could barely hang on running the thing and now I have everything on ultra, feel like I owe it to myself to see some delicious hi-res penis monsters

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

flesh dance posted:

I played a bit of the update on PC...

...monumental task in grinding back up
Use Cheat Engine to skip the grind. Or just do Creative mode. The progression aspect of this game did a 180 with the Beyond update but neither before nor after did it ever feel good. I could probably write an essay around how and why the "game design" aspects of NMS are mostly terrible, just play Creative.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, if I've got the option to get this game on PS4 (with PSVR) or on PC (with no VR), which should it be?

My PC is a lot more powerful in terms of graphics capability, but lacks any kind of VR.

That being said, the game is a couple of years old now so I'm assuming that the non VR visual performance of a PC (I've heard about the blur) isn't actually that different to a ps4 (Pro).

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

DaveKap posted:

Use Cheat Engine to skip the grind. Or just do Creative mode. The progression aspect of this game did a 180 with the Beyond update but neither before nor after did it ever feel good. I could probably write an essay around how and why the "game design" aspects of NMS are mostly terrible, just play Creative.

I'd compare it against Subnautica, the game that made me give NMS a shot. I feel like this game is one of the rare ones where an early access run would of vastly helped it.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
The game has been out 3 years...I don't see how an early access run would have changed anything at this point?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
My dude I clearly meant back before it was released. I think feedback from a larger playerbase beforehand would of helped iron out at least some of the obvious 'why do they still do it this way' problems that plague it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is there anything that fixes the massive desync issues at all? Having to constantly rejoin on my friends is getting old.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Cojawfee posted:

I just don't get how I can be 26 hours into this game and an entire half of every space station is locked off to me. I know that I can go to those people over there to upgrade my stuff but the only option I get is "leave" and I don't know what I'm supposed to do to get them to let me buy more storage space on my suit.
Most likely reason aliens tell you to gently caress off is because your standing with them isn't high enough. I have the same issue with my new game where I haven't made any effort in increasing my standing. My old save though where I maxed it, I haven't had that happen to me.

Easiest way to upgrade exosuit storage capacity is to hit up the space station in every system you warp to. Back in the day, we could easily find 20 drop pods on a single planet and pay to upgrade a storage slot in the exosuit. Now, we have to find other poo poo to repair those drop pods in order to upgrade the exosuit. So... maybe just stick to the upgrade available in the space station. Word of warning, the max units you'll have to pay for extra storage is 1,000,000. No idea how many slots you need to buy before it gets that expensive, but make sure you're doing odds and ends to keep the cash flow coming.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

ijii posted:

Most likely reason aliens tell you to gently caress off is because your standing with them isn't high enough. I have the same issue with my new game where I haven't made any effort in increasing my standing. My old save though where I maxed it, I haven't had that happen to me.

Easiest way to upgrade exosuit storage capacity is to hit up the space station in every system you warp to. Back in the day, we could easily find 20 drop pods on a single planet and pay to upgrade a storage slot in the exosuit. Now, we have to find other poo poo to repair those drop pods in order to upgrade the exosuit. So... maybe just stick to the upgrade available in the space station. Word of warning, the max units you'll have to pay for extra storage is 1,000,000. No idea how many slots you need to buy before it gets that expensive, but make sure you're doing odds and ends to keep the cash flow coming.

Unless they've fixed it, exosuit upgrades are currently bugged and do not deduct units.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

On the Galaxy Map when you look at systems/stars, there is a filter for economy but I can't understand the meaning of all the colors. Is there an easier way then to manually select each system when you try to find Tier 3 economy?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hemish posted:

On the Galaxy Map when you look at systems/stars, there is a filter for economy but I can't understand the meaning of all the colors. Is there an easier way then to manually select each system when you try to find Tier 3 economy?

No lol

It's quite impressive how worthless so much of the UI is, isn't it?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hemish posted:

The economy filter is for type of economy, such as mining, science, or manufacturing. Unfortunately, I do not believe there is a filter for economy wealth, so you're stuck manually looking at every system to see whether or not it is 3 star.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Theres mods to alleviate the grind. If you don't feel like going through a bigass list, check out Beyond Fantasy. It's kind of an all-in-one mod that has parts you can leave out. Some examples of things that I have are, it only takes 1% launch fuel to launch, 1 warp cell lasts 20 jumps, exocraft pads are crated with two metal plates and a battery instead of ore. It makes the exocrafts not suck to use. I'm not going to use the terrain generation because I play with people that don't use mods, but everything else looks awesome.

Also a neat thing about that mod is that it if you start a new game it skips the tutorial and gives you a random multitool and ship.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mountaineer posted:

I'm tempted to use this mod since the best planet I've ever seen in the game was in the first month or two after the game launched, and I have never found anything like it again. However, it would mean playing in a different galaxy from everyone else, right?
Yeah, that looks more like whatever I've seen when the game released. Things looked more interesting back then, not as boring as nowadays. Why did they change things so dramatically?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Old terrain gen was a lot more intense on the engine, which was fine back when the game didn't have multiplayer, but now it does, and I assume it was causing problems. Someone also brought up that it hosed with bases a lot I think.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I've almost collected enough salvage now to unlock everything and I think I can safely say they should find more excuses to use the exocraft. That part of the game is just super great fun - it should definitely be unlocked quicker. Now my roamer is fully upgraded it's a complete blast. Land, plop down a roamer platform and goooooo.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Remember that if you've built the exocraft stations in your base, you only need to build the radar thingy when you get planetside to summon any of them. Build it, summon, dismantle it. After you've summoned your exocraft, you can summon it to you again on that planet even if you fly to the other side of the globe.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Prospecting for gas and mineral harvester bases is a good use for exocraft, I've been driving around looking for groupings of three deposits where I can put down a base computer in the middle

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Broken Cog posted:

No lol

It's quite impressive how worthless so much of the UI is, isn't it?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I’m pretty surprised how little the game has improved user-experience wise. Nothing is really explained or makes intuitive sense. Weird design decisions and straight up omitted details makes this feel like those Minecraft modpacks that you need multiple wikis open for. But at least with Minecraft mods there’s documentation?

There’s just a staggering amount of things that can be “fixed” with a QoL-centric update. Stop having me hold down the mouse button for everything, let me max sell/buy, let me mass upload, speed up menus, stop making me listen to some Gek’s life story each time I want to hand him 1 navigational data.

It’s frustrating because underneath it all, this game can be pretty cool sometimes. But the amount of roadblocks this game creates for itself brings it down to C- grade when it could easily be a solid B. Just how small is this dev team?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's now an option in the game menu to turn off the button hold.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Holy poo poo seriously? How long has that been a thing? I've just been using a mod.

Seriously, the hold to perform X is one of the WORST ui choices I've seen in many games recently.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

And yet I can't stop playing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ghostlight posted:

It only applies to some things, strangely. Unless this was patched to apply to everything recently.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paradoxically, it was much easier and clearer at launch, because most of the systems that make the game obtuse and complicated today simply did not exist. It was just you, your spaceship, and an endless series of planets. Collect A for the launch thrusters, collect B for the pulse drive, collect C, D, and E for warp fuel, maybe some F and G to keep the life support topped up, then move on. No farming, no construction, no quests, no missions, no tech asking for quantities of second- or third-generation materials, just flying around looking at stuff. This was not enough to be a satisfying game for a whole lot of people, but it was a lot more straightforward.

buglord posted:

It only applies to some things, strangely. Unless this was patched to apply to everything recently.

It only applies to things for which a misclick has no real cost, it'll still ask for a hold for things that aren't easily undone like deleting a stack.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 1, 2019

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I'm kind of an old, so I'm tickled by the amount of Foss inspired architecture & ships in the game, I just started recently and its been an amazing blast, the first 20 hours is comprised of kicking yourself in the balls a lot of the time until you work out what you are doing, then, Zing, your problems is "What, I can only posses 6 ships?"

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pwetty...

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I scaled back my Emerald base so powering it wouldn't be so difficult. Not too bad, but at sunset it all gets a bit *too* red:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I recently found that its not enough to have a roof over your head, you need to make your base claustrophobic so the weather doesn't get you. Nice

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

I recently found that its not enough to have a roof over your head, you need to make your base claustrophobic so the weather doesn't get you. Nice

Just live in a hole in the ground. It's storm proof and breezy fresh!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

If it helps, you can use those weird front things with doors and huge glasses in them. They don't even need glass for some reason. Add the ceiling tile with similar magic glass in it above your head and the claustrophobia-level sinks by approx. 78%.

(Or just make one huge hall around you, if you have enough materials.)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I think if you make a building too tall you get weather inside it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Party Boat posted:

I think if you make a building too tall you get weather inside it

Yup. Someone here pre beyond played with building a giant warehouse/dome and got some nice screenshot details of where the game breaks in regards to ceilings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I found the Cheetos Planet.