Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Did they say never or is this some weird guess? Arena is the easiest place to do fetch lands mechanically. It’s fast as hell.

They're easy to do on Arena but people will still raise complaints about how much shuffling they create in paper. They have to be tolerable on both platforms.

Honestly I think the biggest roadblock right now for fetches in Standard is that people still remember BFZ Standard and the 4c piles that fetches + typed duals allowed for. We won't get that combination in Standard for a long time if ever, so at the very least we'll have to wait until the shocklands are out of Standard again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Kjermzs posted:

I loving love Omni draft. 4-0 with this pile.

Turn 1 Mind Rot is kind of a bomb in a format with 3 card starting hands :v:

The uncounterable one that exiles all non-creature, non-land cards from the hand and yard is really good in this format too

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Fetch lands were a terrible idea for a game that has typed duals, so they'll basically reserve list them, make a format that doesn't allow them, and then wait until they're $300 apiece and nobody can afford to play them anymore. They'll probably end up getting rid of legacy in 5 or so years and just add the good part of legacy to modern.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

They're easy to do on Arena but people will still raise complaints about how much shuffling they create in paper. They have to be tolerable on both platforms.

Honestly I think the biggest roadblock right now for fetches in Standard is that people still remember BFZ Standard and the 4c piles that fetches + typed duals allowed for. We won't get that combination in Standard for a long time if ever, so at the very least we'll have to wait until the shocklands are out of Standard again.

M20 has more cards with shuffling than khans. War of the spark does as well. Shuffling in paper isn’t going away. Just make a format where every deck doesn’t want to include 8 fetches and everyone wins.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Silhouette posted:

Turn 1 Mind Rot is kind of a bomb in a format with 3 card starting hands :v:

The uncounterable one that exiles all non-creature, non-land cards from the hand and yard is really good in this format too

Of course, they're dead cards if they come later.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I know we like high level subtle play but let me just say it was really fun just now to win with my awful Liliana/zombie tribal deck that had two big dumb zombie tyrannosaurs that came down turn 3 and 4 and rolled over Big Green's feeble defenses.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Sickening posted:

M20 has more cards with shuffling than khans. War of the spark does as well. Shuffling in paper isn’t going away. Just make a format where every deck doesn’t want to include 8 fetches and everyone wins.

What would make people not want to pay fetches? The only thing that really punishes are stifle and can't search the library effects. They are even resistant to non basic hate since you can fetch your basics in response

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Shuffling isn't going away, but fetchlands have such a low deckbuilding cost and a high enough upside that they'd only be "just OK" in a format without typed duals. And honestly I think Wizards wants to have the "typed dual" design space to play around in.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The really funny thing about BFZ standard was that lots of people were actually predicting fetches in Ducks block (what became khans) because that was the soonest opportunity to print them so that they wouldn’t overlap with RTR shocks, and we all knew a reprint was due. and, sure enough, they printed them as soon as they wouldn’t overlap with shocks, which would obviously be a terrible idea
and thennnnnnnnn

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Yo ante your volcanic island. I'll ante my saber ants.

Add ante to Arena please.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Dear Arena players,
We couldn’t be more thrilled about how the first month of Historic has turned out! It’s been a pleasure watching you all brew the craziest combos and most powerful decks Arena has to offer. As we said when we launched the format, we’re periodically going to be adding potent cards from Magic’s history to Historic and we can’t wait to see what you do with them!
The following cards will be legal in the Historic format starting next Monday:
-Amulet of Quoz
-Jeweled Bird
-Bronze Tablet
-Demonic Attorney
-Darkpact

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ante seems like it would be a fine mode in Arena tbh

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Not interested until they add contract from below.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They're gonna push all the big 'uns into Historic and never print fetches again and silently replace Modern with it

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Every time someone says Historic format in here my brain autocorrects to Histrionic format.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Eej posted:

They're gonna push all the big 'uns into Historic and never print fetches again and silently replace Modern with it

I thought this as well but I want to see what form they use to grandfather older cards into the format, otherwise it seems like it' s going to be mad difficult to keep track of what is and isn't legal. You basically need to print some sort of Historic Horizons set.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The format "historic" uses significantly more recent cards than the format "modern"

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Seems like they're doing exactly that, but in small doses that are easy to see the impact of. If a deck takes off, they can just throw in a couple hate cards against that deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

The format "historic" uses significantly more recent cards than the format "modern"

Not for long it sounds like

Tainen posted:

They just mentioned on stream some of the historic exclusive cards they are currently testing

Brainstorm
Fire bolt
Ethereal armor
Wormcoil engine
Dark Confidant

That's four Modern-legal cards and one Legacy-legal card. If this is their pattern for cards to include in Historic then it's going to get really confusing really fast unless they do some sort of reprint set specifically branded for Historic. "Historic Masters" does have a nice ring to it...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tbh I don’t trust WotC to keep the fetchlands genie in their pants so if they do Historic the way it seems it’ll eventually look close enough to Modern anyways to not really matter much

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Please enjoy this 600 DPI scan of Duelist #1. https://archive.org/details/duelist1

Edit: No one understands jade statue.

xarph fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 1, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Thanks for sharing these, they’re a really interesting glimpse of magic from an era before I started playing. That 5+5 Aladdin’s Lamp is hilarious (they really couldn’t just use a smaller font?) and awesome

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Say I have a single creature in play with a Season of Growth, and a Bone Splinters in hand. I am able to cast Bone Splinters, targeting my creature, and sacrificing that same creature. On Arena, I do not draw a card. Bug, or does it somehow not count as casting a spell targeting your creature if the creature isn't in play when the trigger would go on the stack?

also why the gently caress do I need to restart Arena after every 6-7 games to stop it from visibly chugging, come on Wizards I'm willing to play Arena for the Omniscience drafts but it's hard when MTGO bugs are copied onto MTGA.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hellsau posted:

Say I have a single creature in play with a Season of Growth, and a Bone Splinters in hand. I am able to cast Bone Splinters, targeting my creature, and sacrificing that same creature. On Arena, I do not draw a card. Bug, or does it somehow not count as casting a spell targeting your creature if the creature isn't in play when the trigger would go on the stack?

That's how it should work: there's no creature to target once you've paid the additional cost.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
You choose targets before paying additional costs, though? That sounds too difficult for me to even bother figuring out.

Harl37
Oct 13, 2005

So very tired.
You choose targets before paying additional costs, that's correct. But there's a step in there where the game state checks that the targets are still valid after those additional costs are paid. If they are no longer valid, the spell fizzles (I think).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I think it's because by the time the spell is being cast, it's not targeting a creature you control (since it's gone)

Or it's a bug.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Costs such as sacrificing a creature do not count as targeting that creature.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

lazerwolf posted:

Costs such as sacrificing a creature do not count as targeting that creature.

The creature being sacrificed was also the target of the spell in this case.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You announce the spell, pick the target, then pay costs. It goes onto the stack, when it tries to resolve it sees it has no legal targets still on the field and fizzles.

I think it's a bug, but I'm not 100% on that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The spell isn't "cast" until you've finished casting it. At which point it isn't targeting a creature you control, because it isn't targeting anything, right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

The spell isn't "cast" until you've finished casting it. At which point it isn't targeting a creature you control, because it isn't targeting anything, right?

Targets are chosen before costs are paid, so sacrificing frostling targeting itself, for instance, is a perfectly legal play

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elyv posted:

Targets are chosen before costs are paid, so sacrificing frostling targeting itself, for instance, is a perfectly legal play

that's not what they were asking

their point was, by the time Bone Splinters has been actually cast, it's not targeting a creature you control because there's no creature there anymore, so Season won't trigger (maybe????)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Emphasis on the (maybe????)

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Edit:

You no longer control that creature after it has been sacrificed so you don't draw a card.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 1, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Burn is owning the Open lmao

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Four best performing decks are Burn, Whirza, Tron, and Titanshift in that order

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Hellsau posted:

You will not draw a card; you will successfully cast the spell. Emphasis mine:

MTG Comp. Rules posted:

601.2a To propose the casting of a spell, a player first moves that card (or that copy of a card) from where it is to the stack. It becomes the topmost object on the stack. It has all the characteristics of the card (or the copy of a card) associated with it, and that player becomes its controller. The spell remains on the stack until it’s countered, it resolves, or an effect moves it elsewhere.
601.2b [covers modal spells]
601.2c The player announces their choice of an appropriate object or player for each target the spell requires. [additional and conditional targeting continues]
601.2d [division of effects]
601.2e The game checks to see if the proposed spell can legally be cast. If the proposed spell is illegal, the game returns to the moment before the casting of that spell was proposed (see rule 721, “Handling Illegal Actions”).
601.2f The player determines the total cost of the spell. Usually this is just the mana cost. Some spells have additional or alternative costs. Some effects may increase or reduce the cost to pay, or may provide other alternative costs. Costs may include paying mana, tapping permanents, sacrificing permanents, discarding cards, and so on. The total cost is the mana cost or alternative cost (as determined in rule 601.2b), plus all additional costs and cost increases, and minus all cost reductions. If multiple cost reductions apply, the player may apply them in any order. If the mana component of the total cost is reduced to nothing by cost reduction effects, it is considered to be {0}. It can’t be reduced to less than {0}. Once the total cost is determined, any effects that directly affect the total cost are applied. Then the resulting total cost becomes “locked in.” If effects would change the total cost after this time, they have no effect.
601.2g [mana ability payments]
601.2h The player pays the total cost in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can’t be paid.
Example: You cast Altar’s Reap, which costs {1}{B} and has an additional cost of sacrificing a creature. You sacrifice Thunderscape Familiar, whose effect makes your black spells cost {1} less to cast. Because a spell’s total cost is “locked in” before payments are actually made, you pay {B}, not {1}{B}, even though you’re sacrificing the Familiar.
601.2i Once the steps described in 601.2a–h are completed, effects that modify the characteristics of the spell as it’s cast are applied, then the spell becomes cast. Any abilities that trigger when a spell is cast or put onto the stack trigger at this time. If the spell’s controller had priority before casting it, they get priority.

By the time the spell is cast - the only time Season of Growth will care to see it (601.2i) - the creature you targeted (in 602.1c) is no longer on the battlefield, and Season of Growth will not see a spell targeting a creature you control.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sampatrick posted:

Four best performing decks are Burn, Whirza, Tron, and Titanshift in that order

Mill beats up on 3/4 of those, let's go bay-beeeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for those uploads Xarph. I'm really engrossed by the marine salvage book!