Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
*ksht* Explorer to base. I've found the ruins. They look empty *ksht*

Wait...something's moving inside.

Is that...? No, it can't...

My word! Base, I've spotted...

Good Lord! It sees me!

It's coming this way! Base, I *ksht crackle*

*Silence*

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

omg the feet :laffo:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
"Jenkins? Jenkins!

Jenkiiiiiiins!"

"It's no good chief. He's gone."

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I知 pretty sure the entire existence of birbs is proof of a kind, just, and right world.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Dinosaurs must have been the doofiest and fluffiest creatures. Please don't prove otherwise.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SuperKlaus posted:

*ksht* Explorer to base. I've found the ruins. They look empty *ksht*

Wait...something's moving inside.

Is that...? No, it can't...

My word! Base, I've spotted...

Good Lord! It sees me!

*Silence*

They really have some ancient and lumbering stride when they run

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

Dinosaurs must have been the doofiest and fluffiest creatures. Please don't prove otherwise.

I know this is not at all scientific and probably just straight up wrong but I've always liked to imagine that creatures like 20 million years ago were just more clumsy than us and animals today because we've had more time to evolve :v:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

I know this is not at all scientific and probably just straight up wrong but I've always liked to imagine that creatures like 20 million years ago were just more clumsy than us and animals today because we've had more time to evolve :v:

https://imgur.com/gallery/rmad4

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
speaking of cockatiels... did something happen to Steve and/or Battle Pigeon? It's been a minute since they've been around.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I checked in a little while back and everyone's still good, they just haven't been on SA much. I don't have Twitter but they said theirs still updates regularly with birdpix!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I was wondering that too, glad to hear that everything is good :unsmith:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

My nephews (who live about four hours away so I only get to see them once every few months) absolutely love terra, one is seven and one is three so the younger one still kind of treats her like shes a toy and doesn't understand that she has basically the same level of intelligence he does so he tends to crowd her and try to force her to play, which I have to correct him for.

Still, watching small children interact with parrots is so much fun, having ome in your house you kind of forget what a rare treat it is for most people to get to hold and play with one

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Longtime thread followers may recall that I used to birdsit an African Grey named Connie for a friend of mine when he had to travel for work.

Connie is fine, before I say anything else.

They moved to Florida a couple years ago, and following some medical treatments my friend came out the other side with a shiny new pet dander allergy. Connie consequently went to live with one of his kids but that hasn稚 been going as great as hoped悠 don稚 have more details but I知 guessing personality clashes. I have now been asked if I would be interested in taking her on...I am, but I also strongly suspect I知 not in a situation where I can realistically take on such a responsibility. I live on a boat with mediocre climate control in both winter and summer, and every now and then I can smell the faint hints of gas fumes from the engines belowdecks. The windows are also designed in such a fashion as to be stupidly easy for a Grey to get open.

I feel like those factors alone are enough of a red flag, before we even start talking budget and logistics. Am I on the right page or am I just subconsciously undermining myself?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
So, there are a lot of things that aren't ideal about that situation. Gas, temperature, escape opportunities... there's a lot going against you.

My personal take is that you should consider yourself a last resort. If it's something you'd like to pursue, look into improving your situation for Connie so you can keep her safely longer term.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

met some gay birds tonight, :iia:

I'll post pix tomorrow

cute as heck

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

thanks DarkHorse, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I agree with DarkHorse.

There is a sailing YouTuber (Sailing Sophisticated Lady) who has an African Gray but they are almost always at anchor, have her harness trained, flighted, and flight-return trained. Since they are in the tropics she is normally on her cage suspended in the cockpit when sailing or during the day at anchor and down in the cabin free-flying in the evening. They took a lot of time training her around hatches from what I can see so she knows not to fly through them, but will climb out them when they're at anchor.

It's not an ideal situation for a marina, though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
escaped :derptiel:
https://twitter.com/RoberToPics/status/1154957045227016192

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Tiels are among the more easy going of parrots and escaped ones do indeed join up with flocks of other species sometimes.

An escaped lovebird would have murdered all the green ones before sundown.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Kenshin posted:

Well, from what I hear, ancient creatures weren't very smart, predator and prey as the evolution of intelligence has only ramped up over the era as predator and prey are constantly finding new ways to evade being eaten/get around those evasions. Animals back in the age of dinosaurs would be quite dumb in comparison to now.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sekkira posted:

Well, from what I hear, ancient creatures weren't very smart, predator and prey as the evolution of intelligence has only ramped up over the era as predator and prey are constantly finding new ways to evade being eaten/get around those evasions. Animals back in the age of dinosaurs would be quite dumb in comparison to now.

Meaning a modern :derptiel: will be easily able to outsmart and bully a poor Velociraptor when we resurrect them.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Imagine a cockatiel being an apex predator.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sekkira posted:

Imagine a cockatiel being an apex predator.

Once I saw Sera eat an ant (we used to live in a basement suite) and he was positively glowing with pride.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

Once I saw Sera eat an ant (we used to live in a basement suite) and he was positively glowing with pride.
:laffo:

Parrot intelligence is such a double-edged sword for them though. There are times when mine are expressing their needs/wants to me super clearly and I'm like yeah I get it, only I don't want to let you do that, so the signaling just gets more and more desperate and flashier and flashier because they don't get that I get it and I'm saying no, they seem to think I'm just dumb as a rock

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Parrot intelligence is such a double-edged sword for them though. There are times when mine are expressing their needs/wants to me super clearly and I'm like yeah I get it, only I don't want to let you do that, so the signaling just gets more and more desperate and flashier and flashier because they don't get that I get it and I'm saying no, they seem to think I'm just dumb as a rock

I've tried giving them signals to tell them I know what they want, but I'm not giving it to them.

Success has been... uneven

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmao exactly

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I think they're Machiavellian geniuses. Sinbad dances the stately quadrille daily like 18th century France: today, we're enemies and he loves my housemate. Later today we are besties and my girlfriend gets growls. Tomorrow we again strive for dominance and chirping overtures go to whoever isn't me. Such a tangled web of diplomacy takes smarts.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
It is now appropriate to remind everyone that Serra is the smartest Cockatiel I致e ever met...and she has layed an egg physically on my person three times.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/cycbj2/best_version_yet/

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

These are two different clips spliced:

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aD1EoYN_460svvp9.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXYZttxunPw

I'm not sure why they felt the need to do so as splicing diminishes both videos.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's a bird who definitely knows what they're saying.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SuperKlaus posted:

*Silence*

Bye bye fingats.

Trebuchet King posted:

Longtime thread followers may recall that I used to birdsit an African Grey named Connie for a friend of mine when he had to travel for work.

Connie is fine, before I say anything else.

They moved to Florida a couple years ago, and following some medical treatments my friend came out the other side with a shiny new pet dander allergy. Connie consequently went to live with one of his kids but that hasn’t been going as great as hoped—I don’t have more details but I’m guessing personality clashes. I have now been asked if I would be interested in taking her on...I am, but I also strongly suspect I’m not in a situation where I can realistically take on such a responsibility. I live on a boat with mediocre climate control in both winter and summer, and every now and then I can smell the faint hints of gas fumes from the engines belowdecks. The windows are also designed in such a fashion as to be stupidly easy for a Grey to get open.

I feel like those factors alone are enough of a red flag, before we even start talking budget and logistics. Am I on the right page or am I just subconsciously undermining myself?

I've spent a few days in a campervan with Pookie, and spent a lot of time years ago living for fairly long periods on boats (like 6 weeks every summer). I gotta say, this does not sound very pleasant.

Camperlife with Pookie felt like living in a cage with her, but one which hadn't been designed for bird safety- easy open windows and doors plus highly destructible surfaces everywhere meant I spent the entire time she wasn't in her own little travelling cage in a state of simmering stress. One night it got fairly cold (like maybe 5-8 celcius) and when I went to get her up, her feet were like icecubes - I had to pop her in under my bedclothes to warm her up. A boat would probably be less awful than a camper since the materials generally are stronger and the layout of a sailing boat feels a heck of a lot more spacious than a camper, presumably because they are usually long and narrow rather than the one small square room of a camper. You say the windows are really easy to open which was something I had initially thought a boat would have over a camper - all ours had very sealed up windows - the only openable one was held shut with an enormous screw+clamp.

It'd be a heck of an adjustment for both of you - you'd have an awful lot of birdproofing to do and since she's an adult, she'd probably be a lot slower to adapt to the safety rules of a boat compared to a bird that grew up one one.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I follow a lady on Facebook who's been teaching her cockatoos to read, and recently introduced communication boards. It's even been passing peer review. I can't remember if it ever came up in the thread. Anyway she lives in Florida and she's not sure if they'll have to evacuate, and she made a post recently about how evacuating with several large parrots is a bit of a nightmare, and this time she's rented a mini van so that if they have to, they can have a chill place to be in the van.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Pookah posted:

Bye bye fingats.

I've spent a few days in a campervan with Pookie, and spent a lot of time years ago living for fairly long periods on boats (like 6 weeks every summer). I gotta say, this does not sound very pleasant.

Camperlife with Pookie felt like living in a cage with her, but one which hadn't been designed for bird safety- easy open windows and doors plus highly destructible surfaces everywhere meant I spent the entire time she wasn't in her own little travelling cage in a state of simmering stress. One night it got fairly cold (like maybe 5-8 celcius) and when I went to get her up, her feet were like icecubes - I had to pop her in under my bedclothes to warm her up. A boat would probably be less awful than a camper since the materials generally are stronger and the layout of a sailing boat feels a heck of a lot more spacious than a camper, presumably because they are usually long and narrow rather than the one small square room of a camper. You say the windows are really easy to open which was something I had initially thought a boat would have over a camper - all ours had very sealed up windows - the only openable one was held shut with an enormous screw+clamp.

It'd be a heck of an adjustment for both of you - you'd have an awful lot of birdproofing to do and since she's an adult, she'd probably be a lot slower to adapt to the safety rules of a boat compared to a bird that grew up one one.

For clarity, she grew up on a boat at first, just a larger, more birdproof boat, and that's where I'd birdsat her--she's also only like 5 or 6 at this point, I think? The boat I'm on is a smaller sized powerboat, and most of the windows are simply acrylic that slides in a track. The v-berth has clampable windows, but salon/stateroom don't (and it's really frustrating in winter). I've already told my friend that I can't, as even if any of my plans to move ashore suddenly came to fruition there's still just that the job I'm working these days keeps me away from home during the day longer than I think would be ideal.

I really want to know more about the reading cockatoos.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Okay the reading cockatoos. For some reason I thought it was known in this thread but maybe not. This lady started teaching her goffin's (Ellie) phonics out of desperation when she realized her terrible hell-bird was acting out because she was frustrated and bored. The phonics was meant as "well maybe this will challenge her in the way she wants to be challenged and get me some peace" but it continues to grow into a bigger and bigger project.

This is the first video of hers that I saw. Here, one of her other birds, Isabelle the umbrella cockatoo uses flash cards to talk about the rather traumatic night before. Isabelle has one foot and a plucking problem due to neglect in her old home, and a bad thunderstorm sent her into a panic attack, she plucked at herself bad enough to open a wound, and she went to spend the night at the clinic. It blew my mind because of the emotional depth being displayed, something you rarely have such a good window into when you're dealing with another species, but the reading ability displayed here is very, very simple, compared to other videos.

She also has a parrotlet named Lily who can't read, but can indicate yes/no with red and green items, and she's working with a new bird named Tillie (a... Red vented Cockatoo, I think?) who is taking to the lessons well. Until recently there was a middle aged palm cockatoo named Moonlight, but Moonlight very tragically died this year after eating an earring that was left out, which sounds like my worst nightmare.

Anyway she's been working with someone at the university of Miami, and the birds are passing blind trials (although Ellie in particular tends to get bored and stop paying attention when she perceives the questions as too easy, which i gather is a common problem with small children in research situations). This is legit.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

are there papers on their blind apparatus

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

are there papers on their blind apparatus

I don't think they've actually been published yet. It's pretty early in their work right now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I値l have pictures when I知 home.

Today, a hyacinth macaw let me pet him.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?