Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So loading up a chest of your gear and running around basically naked is a viable fun level up tactic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Spoilery question. I found a robot named Agnu. Is this a situation like Kotor 1 where if skill up robotics high enough I can fix him?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Agnu can only be healed by the power of friendship with Beep

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Day 4, 4 more hours.. Total played 16 hours:

Built my first L-House, 2 stone mines, 2 small wind powers, 1 large wind power, 1 electric stone refiner, 1 manual stone refiner, 1 manual iron plates maker, 1 electric well and 6 cactus XL farms (still not enough to keep food for 8 guys?!?! Farm and cooking skill still suck so that must be it)

Tried to get my food situation not reliant on buying from shops was my mission. Seems to be going ok. Keep getting raided by dust bandits and starving bandits while building and had to flee from dusts since thier guys are mid 20's skill level and my guys are between 5's to 25's in skills and attributes. I can now take on roughly 50% bigger group of starving bandits with no problems on my dudes now where I might get one knocked out.

Finished my base walls and went to bed.

Question: is there a way to transfer items from one far away food storage to another without manually having to do it?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Question: is there a way to transfer items from one far away food storage to another without manually having to do it?

Nope. But, you could buy a Bull or a Garu and put them on transport duty, so long as you have a person there to move items between inventories

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Farming works best if you have two or more crops to combine into recipes, because it doubles the total nutrition. That's not really the most feasible in the badlands, though, unless you build close enough to the swamp to grow rice or research hydroponics at the far end of the tech tree

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Clark Nova posted:

Farming works best if you have two or more crops to combine into recipes, because it doubles the total nutrition. That's not really the most feasible in the badlands, though, unless you build close enough to the swamp to grow rice or research hydroponics at the far end of the tech tree

I built my base in that exact spot, dustwiches are fine

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

delicious

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I've done it with ore but haven't tried with food. Dump everything on ground and give a dude a "haul to" job?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Day 4, 4 more hours.. Total played 16 hours:

Built my first L-House, 2 stone mines, 2 small wind powers, 1 large wind power, 1 electric stone refiner, 1 manual stone refiner, 1 manual iron plates maker, 1 electric well and 6 cactus XL farms (still not enough to keep food for 8 guys?!?! Farm and cooking skill still suck so that must be it)

Tried to get my food situation not reliant on buying from shops was my mission. Seems to be going ok. Keep getting raided by dust bandits and starving bandits while building and had to flee from dusts since thier guys are mid 20's skill level and my guys are between 5's to 25's in skills and attributes. I can now take on roughly 50% bigger group of starving bandits with no problems on my dudes now where I might get one knocked out.

Finished my base walls and went to bed.

I have over twice as many hours and not nearly as much progression.

Continue to teach me your ways.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BMan posted:

I built my base in that exact spot, dustwiches are fine

I hate all the wheat recipes because making bread is a big bottleneck made out of like six smaller bottlenecks

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Zesty posted:

I have over twice as many hours and not nearly as much progression.

Continue to teach me your ways.

Recruit the cheapest guys first from squin, one guy joins for free, mine like crazy until you get enough to buy the building in the middle for 7200c, buy build materials every day till you get the building done, build research bench (hint, put it in the center in the corner so you can upgrade it without dismantling), get ore storage container first, set up mining ring and hauling to ore storage. Mass buy food every day, hire more people while researching, buy books when you can and keep going. Let your dudes run halfway to guards and engage the guys to level up. Once you get enough cash and food and tech 3 research, start making the base.

Buy cactus from the general store over a few days to build XL farms

Start with small shelter, put stone storage and building material storage, build Stone mines and stone refiners, get building materials for bigger buildings, keep upgrading your industry to be able to build.

Edit: wish I recruited humans mostly instead because these sheks don't like working with that 80% gains

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 27, 2019

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Still real new to this game. I had an outpost set up between Squin and Hub that did alright. Only problem is I built it over a road with a gate at each end. It caused so many issues with pathing like Shek would try to get through one gate so they could approach the other. I gave up and just left the doors open.

Moved on to a new spot because I wanted to get beat up by some new opponents. North of Stack there's a ridge with iron and copper right next to other so I set up. New awful problems with pathing as anyone trying to leave the area will move into the center of the base before moving on. This debug map of the roads suggests why. Legless knights will drag themselves toward that intersection before turning around and heading home.

After a rumble I throw everyone out and if they eventually wake up they want to come back in through the gates before they leave, going so far as to try and break them down. Is there a way to salvage this spot or do I need to check the debug screen before plopping down my outposts? I tried the navmesh thing and drawing a new road around the base but didn't change anything. I would just leave it and build more cages for breathing enemies but it affects my own team as well. Is there a way to fix the pathfinding here?

Everyone is unconscious because I didn't realize the difference between paladins and high paladins.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

BrainMeats posted:

Still real new to this game. I had an outpost set up between Squin and Hub that did alright. Only problem is I built it over a road with a gate at each end. It caused so many issues with pathing like Shek would try to get through one gate so they could approach the other. I gave up and just left the doors open.

Moved on to a new spot because I wanted to get beat up by some new opponents. North of Stack there's a ridge with iron and copper right next to other so I set up. New awful problems with pathing as anyone trying to leave the area will move into the center of the base before moving on. This debug map of the roads suggests why. Legless knights will drag themselves toward that intersection before turning around and heading home.

After a rumble I throw everyone out and if they eventually wake up they want to come back in through the gates before they leave, going so far as to try and break them down. Is there a way to salvage this spot or do I need to check the debug screen before plopping down my outposts? I tried the navmesh thing and drawing a new road around the base but didn't change anything. I would just leave it and build more cages for breathing enemies but it affects my own team as well. Is there a way to fix the pathfinding here?

Everyone is unconscious because I didn't realize the difference between paladins and high paladins.

How did you see the road paths so I can avoid a similar fate at my next base?

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

TipsyMcStagger posted:

How did you see the road paths so I can avoid a similar fate at my next base?

Shift-F12 for the debug menu there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Try the rebuild navmesh option before tearing down some walls and repositioning them and rebuilding the navmesh again.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I made a base at the entrance to beak thing valley.

I never run out of meat. Ever.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
So I went exploring north-east of the Holy Nation. I got chased into a bunch of canyons and had to swim for it. Surprise! Lakes of acid! I died.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Canuckistan posted:

So I went exploring north-east of the Holy Nation. I got chased into a bunch of canyons and had to swim for it. Surprise! Lakes of acid! I died.

Exactly what I did while doing my exploring..

That's kenshi!

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Is there any mods that takes your base attack warnings and leaves their status on the screen in hover text?

So if I take a solo guy exploring and leaving my guys farming away I don't need to constantly micromanage.

Day 5, 19 hours played:

Spent the next 3 hours deconstructing my walls and trying to place all my building materials as a storage. Game does not give warnings of gates being attacked so you have to have someone manning the gates.
Also noticed that gate design should be more star fort idea with turrets firing inwards towards guys at gate.

Since my fort is pretty much just being attacked by starving bandits which make for decent skill gains right now, i've decided to not build any gate and leaving it open. I have 8 XL cactus farms and now the cactus are pouring in and my cook is around 48 skill.

Skilling my dudes to farm and cooking right now in anticipation for a base move to lusher climates. Trying to get a pack mule so I can carry my 100+ build materials and a bunch of iron plates. I've hit my research plateau without any of the engineering books which means I need my guys to level up.

Going to try and hire some more humans coming up, not entirely sure near squin wheres a good place for that.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 29, 2019

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
So I had been playing this last year and had fun, but I kept running into stability problems and crashing and messing around with mod load order, ect.

Is there some guide or a list around essential mods and load order. I want to get back in and play it but dont want to spend half the time bug chasing and trying to fix random CTDs.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Klisejo posted:

So I had been playing this last year and had fun, but I kept running into stability problems and crashing and messing around with mod load order, ect.

Is there some guide or a list around essential mods and load order. I want to get back in and play it but dont want to spend half the time bug chasing and trying to fix random CTDs.

What's wrong with vanilla? What mods do you need?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I haven’t actually played for a few months so the game and/or mod might have been patched, but Reactive World really made my game crash a lot. The low-res texture pack seems to make the game crash less, in addition to boosting performance a ton

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Baka things you absolute nincompoop

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Turpitude posted:

Baka things you absolute nincompoop

Not really a good answer..
List the mods and why they're important.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

baka things, and they're important because they're baka things

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Well one of the most imporant mods is one that increases the squad limit from 30 up to (I think) 256. Without it you can't really maintain an army and base defenders and farmers and researchers and miners and smiths. But also having a couple hundred odd dudes is probably your number one culprit in causing crashes.

Are you playing this like a 4X game? Or an rpg? City builder?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I was just wandering around randomly and found a spot with 6 beak eggs and a bunch of other equipment just laying around. No beak birds around. Just scooped this poo poo up and sold it for 30k.

What should I spend my new found wealth on? I have 4 untrained guys and a small house in a city. Build a compound or hire a bunch of guys?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Only ones I would say are really required imo are

Shidan's Tweaks & Fixes
Compressed Textures Project
Less/No Clutter

other really good mods for QoL and gameplay are

Attack Slots x5 or x3
256 Recruitment Limit
Slopeless
Dark UI

I also run a bunch more that I like

Free the Hair
Reduced Weather Effects
shops have more items +
Interior (and Exterior) Design
Recruitable Prisoners - with dialogue (pls read description)
Meitou Retexture: Black and Red
Outland Coin Purses
NPC enjoys more shopping
Better Crop Fences
Sensible Spider Range
Fixing Clipping Issues
Seperate Robotics Boxes
AI Core Carriers
Baka Things
Crow's World Gone Fishing
More Names!
Steady the Clown
Sparring Mats - Basic Training for Melee Defense & Martial Arts
Copper Ore Drills
10x Output- and Storage- Stacks.
Minor Mesh Fixes - Alternative
Minor Mesh Fixes
Let's Talk
Wooden Dexterity Training Dummy (Animated)
Moisture Farming
Enhanced Shopping Economy
Weight Bench - Strength Training
Scarier Security Spiders
Reactive World
Banditry
Leather Backpacks
Paladin Powergamers
Ancient Terrors

Last four are little mods I made for my own use. One to make deadlands areas w/ robots more dangerous and make it so town skeletons in black desert city won't help you against them, one to make HN gear better on senior dudes + xbows (including offhand so they have something when you gently caress up an arm), one to make guys loot your poo poo more, and a little backpack crafting mod since I didn't like the other ones I tried.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 1, 2019

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm pretty torn on the attack slots one. it makes the game dramatically easier if you outnumber, dramatically harder if you're outnumbered (to downright impossible if you're solo), and marginally easier if you're evenly matched since the player is better at gangbanging than the AI is.

I find it pretty unbalanced, not QoL at all.

The only real cheat-y mod I run around with is the execution mod because jesus is it irritating cleaning up after raids with things waking up constantly

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I always play with larger enemy squad sizes and it makes the combat more dynamic instead of looking silly when 20 hungry bandits surround my 10 guys and politely wait their turn to swing instead of swamping me with beat sticks.

But yeah it's all up to personal preference.

Executing people becomes less relevant after your guys git gud though since your more likely to inflict fatal damage on the swing that puts them down. Before that I just have a dude tasked with walking around throwing weapons on a garru or somethin

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

I was just wandering around randomly and found a spot with 6 beak eggs and a bunch of other equipment just laying around. No beak birds around. Just scooped this poo poo up and sold it for 30k.

What should I spend my new found wealth on? I have 4 untrained guys and a small house in a city. Build a compound or hire a bunch of guys?

spend it on mercenaries for when the beak things come for you

in the meantime you can use the mercenaries to pick fights you can get your dudes involved in

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Every time i get mercenaries I end up just using them as ablative armour for raiding places. If any of them survived I used the mod to hire them forever and kitted them out in decent gear.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Building things is mostly for bragging. Buying equipment is for suckers. Money is best sunk into fresh meat, whether its recruits or mercs.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Can you eliminate factions in the game? Can I gently caress up these dust bandits so they gently caress off permanently?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
You should visit the dust tower and inform the king of your appreciation for his attention.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pretty sure there's a mood that gives even more faction interaction/destruction options too, but I can't recall the name.

Did something with the combat change recently (like month recently)? I played my solo skeleton for the first time in a while and things seem harder than I remember, i.e fighting two security spiders went from free electronics to an existential threat for some reason

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Are there any mods that help alert you when your people or things are being attacked? I keep missing the little red stripes and when I refocus on my miners or something they are all beat up and crippled and have to crawl back to town to heal.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Not that I could ever find, and you should look at it as free toughness training anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

dogstile posted:

I made a base at the entrance to beak thing valley.

I never run out of meat. Ever.

I did this a while back and it trivializes the game because once you get established everyone ends up at super high combat skills really quickly because they fight beak things literally non stop.

Also all the groups coming to extort or attack you all get whittled down to a handful