Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Since you aren’t doing auto import here’s my manual import tips that I wish I had known at the start:

1. Create a Google Sheet with a tab for each account you have.

2. Figure out the easiest to copy paste movements from your home banking website to the sheet. For some of mine I can just copy paste directly off the site itself and it’ll automatically sort into rows and columns, others I can download movements as an excel file or csv and then copy off that.

3. Once you’ve pasted the original data, rename the relevant column to its YNAB equivalent: Date, Payee, Memo, and Amount for columns that have both negative and positive values, or Outflow and Inflow if they’re in separate columns. Any other columns you can ignore as YNAB won’t read them. I hide them to avoid clutter, but don’t delete them.

4. On the Google Sheet: File, Download as CSV for each tab.

5. Import the relevant CSV into each YNAB account.

6. Going forward you should only need to copy paste new movements. I do it about once a week, by now I can do it in about 5-10 minutes if there’s no weirdness from the bank.

For me this has been 1000% better than every other option I explored.

Also, you can keep all movements you’ve already imported in the sheet, YNAB auto ignores those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Since you aren’t doing auto import here’s my manual import tips that I wish I had known at the start:

1. Create a Google Sheet with a tab for each account you have.

2. Figure out the easiest to copy paste movements from your home banking website to the sheet. For some of mine I can just copy paste directly off the site itself and it’ll automatically sort into rows and columns, others I can download movements as an excel file or csv and then copy off that.

3. Once you’ve pasted the original data, rename the relevant column to its YNAB equivalent: Date, Payee, Memo, and Amount for columns that have both negative and positive values, or Outflow and Inflow if they’re in separate columns. Any other columns you can ignore as YNAB won’t read them. I hide them to avoid clutter, but don’t delete them.

4. On the Google Sheet: File, Download as CSV for each tab.

5. Import the relevant CSV into each YNAB account.

6. Going forward you should only need to copy paste new movements. I do it about once a week, by now I can do it in about 5-10 minutes if there’s no weirdness from the bank.

Wow, that's way more intense than what I do. I literally just export my bank transactions as an ofx (csv and other file types are supported too), then import the whole thing into YNAB. YNAB is smart enough to only import the new stuff.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
None of my banks do OFX plus they’re not in English so just a straight import wont work anyway. IDK if Swedish banks have the same issue.

YNAB is basically designed with American banks in mind, so in my case a little bit of setup to standardize everything saves A LOT of time down the road.

Also this way you have one neat database instead of dozens of separate files.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I just enter everything in manually. It has the dual benefit of making me more aware of what I'm spending as well as wanting to cut down on transactions to save some work.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Keret posted:

Yeah, in all cases the payments are recorded as Payment from the account it's coming from, so as a transfer.

Maybe it's just because I'm doing Statement Balance on the autopay date rather than just paying everything that is recorded on the card at the end of each month (I'm not even sure actually why I'm doing it that way, I should just do the entire card balance tbh). Maybe because it doesn't tick over from the previous month in YNAB, when the balance gets paid in the next month it doesn't sync up anymore?

That's strange.. It shouldn't matter if you do the statement balance or the total balance if everything is tracked correctly. Do you ever reconcile your balance with the cards website to make sure it's accurate?

The flow should be as simple as transaction comes in to your card, money moves from your category to the credit card category, then the transfer deducts from your checking and sets the card to zero if you pay entire balance, or something higher than zero if you pay the statement. It should never be red and you should never have to add or remove money to the credit card category yourself.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Thanks for the tips on entering data. :) I've set it up so we are starting this month, so I'm not entering any old data. Like Moneyball we'll be entering all transactions manually which so far has had the same effect - makes me consider every purchase. Really liking the interface of both the website and the app so far, and the "every dollar needs a job" concept as well. Already realising that there is potential for great savings (or rather, money spent on poo poo we actually enjoy instead of wasted on random crap) in addition to the ~40% of net income that we are planning as the absolute minimum to save each month.

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

😬https://www.youneedabudget.com/ynab-4-support-will-end-october-2019/

quote:

However, Apple announced that its newest Operating System, called Catalina, will not support 32-bit apps. YNAB 4 is most definitely a 32-bit app, meaning if you upgrade your Mac to Catalina, YNAB 4 will not open.

Alternatives? Workarounds? I really don't want to start paying a subscription in order to continue to optimize my monthly expenses.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

anitsirK posted:

😬https://www.youneedabudget.com/ynab-4-support-will-end-october-2019/

Alternatives? Workarounds? I really don't want to start paying a subscription in order to continue to optimize my monthly expenses.

Hackintosh :v:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I dread the day YNAB4 doesn't work on PCs. YNAB was the best :20bux: I ever spent, and I'll be very sad when it stops working.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

sparkmaster posted:

I dread the day YNAB4 doesn't work on PCs. YNAB was the best :20bux: I ever spent, and I'll be very sad when it stops working.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Do they frequently run sales or something on the price? Loving it so far. I feel much more relaxed now when I know where all money goes to. Will be buying regardless, but sucks if they run sales and I miss one.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
when they first launched nynab they had a lower price with a discount for people switching from ynab4 - i am locked in at $45/yr which i think is the right price for nynab

was shocked when my fiancee showed me the current pricing

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah I really need to look at other budget software to switch over to before my annual subscription is up for renewal again.

All I care about is being able to enter items on my phone and have it merge with my budget.

The credit card import feature is nice, but not a need to have so long as I could manually import purchases from the CC.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Auto import is well worth the cost. It saves me so much time from missing one transaction a month ago and me having to track it down manually. Also the 400 my wife doesn’t put in.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

nwin posted:

Yeah I really need to look at other budget software to switch over to before my annual subscription is up for renewal again.
The personal finance application landscape is pretty poo poo.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Auto import is well worth the cost. It saves me so much time from missing one transaction a month ago and me having to track it down manually. Also the 400 my wife doesn’t put in.

Do you mean you’re not entering manually as well, or that it’s your failsafe? I don’t trust my banks (or the merchants I buy from) to accurately capture everything.

I stopped doing auto import in nYNAB because it was highly inaccurate. Maybe it’s improved since but I’m satisfied with reconciling by hand at this point, even if it means I occasionally have to hunt something down.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I enter manually, my wife does not. Auto-import grabs everything she does and the 1-2 transactions/month that I don't manually enter.

I had issues with it a couple years ago with it importing the pending charge, a cancellation transaction of the pending charge, then the actual charge itself. So I'd get 3 transactions per actual single transaction, but that seems to have been resolved for a while now. Works great, nothing ever imports incorrectly that I've noticed.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
auto import messes up for me occasionally but ynab's support is actually really good about fixing stuff up if you let them know in the little chat box

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

epenthesis posted:

Do you mean you’re not entering manually as well, or that it’s your failsafe? I don’t trust my banks (or the merchants I buy from) to accurately capture everything.

I stopped doing auto import in nYNAB because it was highly inaccurate. Maybe it’s improved since but I’m satisfied with reconciling by hand at this point, even if it means I occasionally have to hunt something down.

I've been doing auto import since June of 2016 and have never had any accuracy issues, I always check my bank balance against my ynab balance, and they always match.

I guess inaccuracy issues may be related to which bank you're importing from, I've used both Chase and Wells Fargo without problems.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm going absolutely bonkers. I reconciled my transactions 9/3/19 and was in balance with my financial institutions. On login today there is exactly $225.00 missing - a bunch of pending transactions to clear up and settle down and then the numbers were just... wrong. There are no transactions for $225.00 in recent history. There are not two transactions that sum to $225.00. My last transaction for $225 was several months ago. I have combed every transaction since June 1 and there are not two 'bonus' transactions that sum to a total of $225.00 of error in my bank account.

I really don't want to file a $225 reconciliation transaction, especially because it's such a big number to lose track of.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Everybody has a wild coke binge sometimes man, $225 would probably get bwm thread approval for its comparative frugality.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm going absolutely bonkers. I reconciled my transactions 9/3/19 and was in balance with my financial institutions. On login today there is exactly $225.00 missing - a bunch of pending transactions to clear up and settle down and then the numbers were just... wrong. There are no transactions for $225.00 in recent history. There are not two transactions that sum to $225.00. My last transaction for $225 was several months ago. I have combed every transaction since June 1 and there are not two 'bonus' transactions that sum to a total of $225.00 of error in my bank account.

I really don't want to file a $225 reconciliation transaction, especially because it's such a big number to lose track of.

Perhaps an authorization that was for more than the final due? Like a hotel or car rental?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

StormDrain posted:

Perhaps an authorization that was for more than the final due? Like a hotel or car rental?

This is what my suspicion had been but I never put travel on this card, we have a credit card for that earns points the whole 9 yards and I couldn't find any transactions that had moved that much up. (I matched all transactions in both spots all the way down to $225 from the BEGINNING OF THE ACCOUNT.)

ARGH.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is what my suspicion had been but I never put travel on this card, we have a credit card for that earns points the whole 9 yards and I couldn't find any transactions that had moved that much up. (I matched all transactions in both spots all the way down to $225 from the BEGINNING OF THE ACCOUNT.)

ARGH.

I relocated abroad and was trying to manage two currencies in one budget with no auto-import. This kind of craziness put me about 5 minutes away from writing a script over my recent bank transactions to find whatever combination/s of charges could sum up to the amount that was inexplicably missing. I gave up and split the currencies into different budgets so I don't have this problem as often, but maybe I should still write that script. It would come in handy occasionally.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Fano posted:

I've been doing auto import since June of 2016 and have never had any accuracy issues, I always check my bank balance against my ynab balance, and they always match.

I guess inaccuracy issues may be related to which bank you're importing from, I've used both Chase and Wells Fargo without problems.

Ah, I hosed up—I actually meant download-and-import, not auto-import. I’ve never trusted the security enough to let YNAB connect to my banks directly.

No difference to me in the end, since I don’t think doing it all manually is that difficult or even tedious.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

listrada posted:

I relocated abroad and was trying to manage two currencies in one budget with no auto-import. This kind of craziness put me about 5 minutes away from writing a script over my recent bank transactions to find whatever combination/s of charges could sum up to the amount that was inexplicably missing. I gave up and split the currencies into different budgets so I don't have this problem as often, but maybe I should still write that script. It would come in handy occasionally.

Yeah, I’m dual currency as well and after trying unified budgets in either currency, I’ve finally settled for separate budgets.

FWIW I use a Google Sheets plugin that spits out budgets into a sheet, I then use Google Finance formulas to convert amounts to USD and once a month I import both budgets into a unified budget, so I have an overall picture of my finances.

It’s a bit of work but I need to do this anyway for tax purposes.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Am I missing an option to turn off the "cleared" button being pre-selected whenever I enter something into nYNAB, on both mobile and desktop web? It's frustrating having to remember to uncheck that all the time as of course a transaction I'm just putting in now hasn't been confirmed cleared.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

IAmKale posted:

Am I missing an option to turn off the "cleared" button being pre-selected whenever I enter something into nYNAB, on both mobile and desktop web? It's frustrating having to remember to uncheck that all the time as of course a transaction I'm just putting in now hasn't been confirmed cleared.

Weird. I only have ever had it be UNSELECTED when I enter something manually... Do you have imported transactions that match?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It only has cleared pre-selected for my cash accounts. Any other account it defaults to uncleared.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It only has cleared pre-selected for my cash accounts. Any other account it defaults to uncleared.

That makes sense to me

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I checked back in on my account and now for some reason it's $500 short, with a weird $10 credit listed as a refund.

I think there is some fucky business underfoot at my credit union.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
This might be worth adding to the OP - enrolled students can get a year of YNAB for free:

quote:

Do you really give students YNAB for free?

We offer all students YNAB free for 12-months (in addition to the free 34-day trial). If you’re interested, write into student@ynab.com with proof of enrollment—think student ID card, transcript or tuition statement (but anything that shows you are currently enrolled and includes your name, your school, and the date will do). We can’t wait to get you budgeting!

I've just sent my info in and will report back if there's any issues.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
drat, just got a pop-up saying that YNAB 4 will no longer be supported with the next update to the mac operating system (catalina) after october 31st.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Learned something today that I thought was kind of weird, but if you get money and assign it to a category instead of to "To Be Budgeted" first, it subtracts that from Total Expenses. I had a month that had $1000 less in Total Expenses and it's because I didn't add it "To be Budgeted" first, and added it straight to my buffer category.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If you don’t assign it to “To Be Budgeted”, YNAB just treats is at as an Outflow except with a positive value.

It’s useful to avoid having your Inflows full of one off deposits like friends paying you back some money or whatever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hmm interesting. So we get birthday cards for our kids from grandpa to put toward their sports stuff. I’ve just been putting the transaction as a positive inflow directly to our “kids sports are a rip-off” category. Should I be putting it as “to be budgeted” then budget that amount in the kid sports category instead?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The opposite, that's technically not money you can use to cover other expenses (well, you could, if you hate your grandparents).

Even if you're going to use the money for whatever, it's probably better to assign it to the kids sports category and then free up the money by going to the "Available" cell and moving the money to "To Be Budgeted". If you do this, then YNAB never counts it as an Inflow, it's just counted against your expenses.

The only scenario where I guess you'd want it to hit "To Be Budgeted" first if you know you're going to consistently be using your parent's money as an extra income source and then you'll fund the "kid's sports" category with other available funds as they come in.
I do this with, for example, Credit Card bonuses and cashbacks, where normally they'd go to the specific card's budget, but really I just set them to inflow so I can track how much money I made off them and then just pay off the card with "other" funds.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So after our first month it seems like YNAB saved us $500 on top of savings goal despite overspending on a few categories, some from wanting / opportunity to buy stuff cheaper and some from unexpected stuff. Will be buying a full year!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

So after our first month it seems like YNAB saved us $500 on top of savings goal despite overspending on a few categories, some from wanting / opportunity to buy stuff cheaper and some from unexpected stuff. Will be buying a full year!

Hell yea haven’t seen a YNAB success story in a while!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

Hell yea haven’t seen a YNAB success story in a while!

Oh it’s been amazing for us, we moved from a low COL area to high, and were just spending whatever and hoping we’d still have money in our checking account at the end of the month. Usually we did and we had some savings but it was all very haphazard, with massive lifestyle creep. Since starting with YNAB seriously at the beginning of the year we’ve doubled our net worth, are on track to pay off a hefty LOC by the end of the year and have a bunch of savings goals on their way to being funded. Well worth the CAD$100 imo.