Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Squidtentacle posted:

I was kinda down on the DRK 50-60 questline until we had to have the moogles stage a fake kidnapping and teach Sid about the power of love through song and dance. Jesus that was a great plot beat, and definitely helps carve out the 50-60 line with its own tone and themes after the highly personal 40-50 line. Back in WoW, the warlock and death knight quests definitely wouldn't have been willing to do this kind of stupid-but-appropriate bullshit.

Time to get a couple more levels and murder more lovely Clerics I guess.

That was the turning point for me as well, it's loving spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ciaphas posted:

Heh. I'd already gotten the impression that they weren't able to actually use all the power they'd ginned up, but I didn't realize they'd essentially hosed themselves with Magical Climate Change

by the way who keeps giving you these weird wow redtexts because they're not very good

The Allagans had green energy. The crystal tower is canonically a giant solar panel :goonsay:.

But then they created Dalamud to harness the power of darkness, because the crystal tower's energy on its own wasn't enough to fuel Emperor Xande's ambitions to conquer the world, and the calamity was caused when Xande tried to put down an Allagan anti-war rebellion, and in doing so beamed down more power down from Dalamud than the tower could handle at once.

This is all in the Crystal Tower raids in ARR.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wait is Ivalice in this world!?

Like the actual one from the other games or is it a reference just like Magitek

Play the Level 70 alliance raid series.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

You should really do the Crystal Tower raids. You’re never going to find out what happened to the Allagan in the main story because we already found out in CT back in 2.xx

Next weekend! I’ve been convincing friends to go through old raids on the weekends.

...although we’ll finish that pretty quickly since I didn’t start Stormblood yet

(Also I really love FFT so that’s killing me)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Next weekend! I’ve been convincing friends to go through old raids on the weekends.

...although we’ll finish that pretty quickly since I didn’t start Stormblood yet

You need to finish 4.0 in order to unlock the raids.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The Ivalice stuff is the Stormblood alliance raid, so you ain't doing that until you finish Stormblood

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Squidtentacle posted:

I was kinda down on the DRK 50-60 questline until we had to have the moogles stage a fake kidnapping and teach Sid about the power of love through song and dance. Jesus that was a great plot beat, and definitely helps carve out the 50-60 line with its own tone and themes after the highly personal 40-50 line. Back in WoW, the warlock and death knight quests definitely wouldn't have been willing to do this kind of stupid-but-appropriate bullshit.

Time to get a couple more levels and murder more lovely Clerics I guess.

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1167168529302319104

Moogle boy bands.

edit: oh god, now im thinking of moogles in backwards baseball caps, wearing gold chains and streetwear. No wait thats moogle rappers.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 1, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just finished the 2.1 quest series. That didn't seem too bad! The Moogle King was great

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so i was all set to buy the fat cat mount but then i saw that the fat moogle plays the king mog song when you ride it and i love moogles and now i dont know what to do

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Where is the auction house/market? I need to buy some materials for this relic weapon quest

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I must not have been paying as much attention in Shadowbringers to when in the beginning they explained how the flood so drastically changed Norvandt, including causing cities to be submerged, and the land to become less fertile

Can anyone give me an explanation again?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Where is the auction house/market? I need to buy some materials for this relic weapon quest
there is one in each major city. the one in limsa is right next to the crystal

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

theblackw0lf posted:

I must not have been paying as much attention in Shadowbringers to when in the beginning they explained how the flood so drastically changed Norvandt, including causing cities to be submerged, and the land to become less fertile

Re your spoiler, I think the Flood left Norvrandt the only life-bearing portion of the entire planet, which probably had knock-on effects even if they might not be blatantly obvious and life seems to be adapting to some extent, given that there is a robust crop of non-sin-eater monsters, purple-leafed trees in Lakeland, and so forth. Aetheric disruptions can do climate-shifting things so presumably there were snow packs in what is now Il Mheg that melted and flooded Voeburt, but there may have been a clearer explanation that I just don't remember offhand.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

The story breaks it down as you go region by region. The kingdom of Voeburt, for instance, got flooded because the Light drove the Fuath out of their old homes, and the Fuath are right bastards.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

It wasn't a literal flood, but rather a sudden depletion of all the world's aether. This manifested as a flood of umbral light, because "light" in this sense is passivity and stagnation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Awesome! posted:

there is one in each major city. the one in limsa is right next to the crystal

Thanks!

...there are exactly 0 Champion's Lances on the Auction House

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks!

Grab the materials (Bloody Lance Head, Spruce Lumber), find a crafter to make it, tip them enough to cover the crystals since they're usually only worth buying in large quantities

Don't forget the materia

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its an easy craft, ask someone if you're in a FC. You just gotta get one of the mats for it from a dungeon if that's not on the MB either.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks!

You can check out the marketboard on other worlds from the same data center as well. Might get better luck.
Apparently there used to be websites that you could use to see all the worlds' marketboards but Square Enix banned them for being "against the TOS" (?). Pretty bullshit if you ask me.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah when i went to buy the weapon i needed for my relic quest there was only 1 up for like 200k or something but someone in the fc was able to make it for me no problem. they said it was very easy to make.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Going back through the final dungeon of the original ARR and having to watch the cutscenes for duty roulette sure shows how much the game has improved

Dear god Gaius’s VA in the original is so bad, and the dialog so cheesy

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

theblackw0lf posted:

Going back through the final dungeon of the original ARR and having to watch the cutscenes for duty roulette sure shows how much the game has improved

Dear god Gaius’s VA in the original is so bad, and the dialog so cheesy

I didn't have any problem with Gaius when I went through, he was if nothing else an appropriately hammy evil overlord type that fit well enough in the scenario's you encountered him.

The worst of the old VA's is, and will always be, Minfillia. Dear god I don't think voice acting has actively made me dislike a character before.

Thancred, nooooooooo. :geno:

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
At least Raubahn calmed down somewhat. Guy used to sound like he took up being a Gladiator because he couldn't get hired with his Bachelor's in Dramatic Arts but he was determined to use his skills anyway no matter what the circumstances.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Mister Olympus posted:

also you pay for your raid gear in USB sticks, hard drives, and smartphones (tomestones are interchangeably used to represent any of these)

https://twitter.com/sophiamooncat/status/1166535817327722497

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Did they recast VAs for the later content or is it just better direction

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did they recast VAs for the later content or is it just better direction
They changed studios so I believe it's a complete re-cast for the voiced NPCs, yeah. There was also a tragedy with Yugiri's actress at some point, which is a lot of why she just totally disappears in Heavensward despite being alive and not otherwise engaged.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
IIRC the studio they switched to was the same studio doing the VA for all the Ishgard stuff in 2.x so Aymeric and co. still sound the same.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They didn't just change studio, they changed country too. They moved the dub to the UK so they had to change the cast out entirely, most if not all of the actors are British now.

Fun fact: due to how small the actor pool in the UK is, most of the cast have done TV, movies and theatre work. I think Shadowbringers has at least three people who were in Game of Thrones

Veotax fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 1, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One of the more surprising changes for me was Alisaie. Her new voice is way deeper than her old one.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Nessus posted:

They changed studios so I believe it's a complete re-cast for the voiced NPCs, yeah. There was also a tragedy with Yugiri's actress at some point, which is a lot of why she just totally disappears in Heavensward despite being alive and not otherwise engaged.

This isn't true at all, they didn't' change the story one bit. They don't record the patches every three months, I'm pretty sure, for example, all the dialogue for the rest of the 5.0 series is in the can already. They are not going to rewrite the plot because a dub actor can no longer perform.
Stormblood spoilers Its also not true that Yugiri was originally going to die in Stormblood, but due to the murder they rewrote it. this is another rumor that they've directly debunked.

Gally fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 1, 2019

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I went back to rewatch certain 3.x cutscenes and Joe Dempsie (Ar(d)bert)'s voice acting was fantastic back then too

We did everything right, everything that was asked of us, and still, still it came to this!

Veotax posted:

They didn't just change studio, they changed country too. They moved the dub to the UK so they had to change the cast out entirely, most if not all of the actors are British now.
Not all, the viera characters have Icelandic actresses

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

:v:

Speaking of the Astro quest chain, I feel like Leveva has the most Fire Emblemish design I've seen in this game so far. It's the pink twintails that give me that impression, I think.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Threep posted:

I went back to rewatch certain 3.x cutscenes and Joe Dempsie (Ar(d)bert)'s voice acting was fantastic back then too

We did everything right, everything that was asked of us, and still, still it came to this!

Not all, the viera characters have Icelandic actresses

yeah his VA was excellent perhaps the main reason i liked his character back then. genuinely felt bad for him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just had my first ever abandoned trial. This group kept failing against Titania. I don't think I was doing anything wrong...a bunch of people died during the big trees section (but not during the end DPS check part, people just gradually died in the process of fighting the trees which then caused the last handful to die from the DPS check). I don't think I was loving up, though I wasn't paying attention to what other people were doing.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Darth Walrus posted:

One of the more surprising changes for me was Alisaie. Her new voice is way deeper than her old one.

I definitely prefer her new VA. The old one was really dire, even if it sounded younger. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

So I just had my first ever abandoned trial. This group kept failing against Titania. I don't think I was doing anything wrong...a bunch of people died during the big trees section (but not during the end DPS check part, people just gradually died in the process of fighting the trees which then caused the last handful to die from the DPS check). I don't think I was loving up, though I wasn't paying attention to what other people were doing.

You probably didn't do anything wrong to be honest. Titania is a difficult trial if people are loving up.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Gally posted:

This isn't true at all, they didn't' change the story one bit. They don't record the patches every three months, I'm pretty sure, for example, all the dialogue for the rest of the 5.0 series is in the can already. They are not going to rewrite the plot because a dub actor can no longer perform.
Stormblood spoilers Its also not true that Yugiri was originally going to die in Stormblood, but due to the murder they rewrote it. this is another rumor that they've directly debunked.

Yeah, I hear that sometimes, but it doesn't really make any sense when you think about how the game is produced. What happened to the VA was terrible, but SE isn't going to suddenly remove a character from the story because one of the VAs for her died. They routinely leave out major characters for long periods of time anyway, so it's not anything unusual.

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
I finally got to what I'm pretty sure is the final boss. The dungeon leading up to it was... quite something.

I had to stop before actually doing the final boss, though, because it was not a good idea to play this portion of the game when my mood was in the pits. My WoL has one of the youngest faces, so it was super uncomfortable to watch him have those sin eater related strokes and looking scared out of his mind. Puking his guts out or whatever towards the end was too much, I couldn't properly enjoy the rest of the scene, not even when Ardbert showed up to save the day and the title screen theme kicked in. :( I'll re-watch it later, probably, so I can give the direction, voice acting, expressions and sound effects the attention they deserve.

That said, is it still hip and cool to post The Screenshot? :bandwagon:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh I’m aware I need to beat stormblood to do Ivalice. Just I really want to see Ivalice but I’m a bit burned out on the msq at the moment so it might take a while.

I’ve also taken to leveling GNB and BRD sort of side by side to break it up as well. I kind of like tanking, but I hate the party following you to see where to go next. I have no idea guys i used to just follow the tank.

I also made a CNJ which is like level 5. How do I level this dumb thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My inventory is finally nearing max limit, mostly because of lower-level crafting items. Do I own a chest somewhere or do I have to buy a house? Or is there like a backpack extension