Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sampatrick posted:

Four best performing decks are Burn, Whirza, Tron, and Titanshift in that order

If people are trying to do the midrange arms race thing all those decks either go over the top of that (tron, titanshift, Urza decks) or just burn them out while they’re getting set up. Good metagame call for those pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
To be fair, Whirza gets more or less completely bodied by UW control

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sampatrick posted:

Burn is owning the Open lmao

It's one of my favorite decks. Other dudes get to build their sandcastles and goldfish their gameplans while you start rabbit punching them in the junk on turn one. It's the muscle wizard of magic decks.

EDIT: Also, removing decks like phoenix or especially dredge remove a lot of ability to play under burn. It always feels bad when you're running a fast deck and someone just plays under you effortlessly. Looting being gone means that several decks that tried to play under you just can't now.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 1, 2019

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sampatrick posted:

To be fair, Whirza gets more or less completely bodied by UW control

Yeah whirza has the same problem as the prison decks pre-war. It’s definitely more of a “make a bridge deck” than a dedicated goldfish combo

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Is anything using hexdrinker right now? I want to get a set but with my luck it’ll lose half it’s value a month after I get them.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Don't think Hexdrinker panned out as well as people thought it would. Just needs too much mana to be better than a savannah lions.

Man, whirza looks really strong in this new modern, maybe even the best deck. Traditionally, midrange decks that had quick combo potential (twin, phoenix, etc.) have been really good, and this is the only one that can do something like that I think. On top of that, it has a prison/tutor element.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bonus posted:

Don't think Hexdrinker panned out as well as people thought it would. Just needs too much mana to be better than a savannah lions.

Man, whirza looks really strong in this new modern, maybe even the best deck. Traditionally, midrange decks that had quick combo potential (twin, phoenix, etc.) have been really good, and this is the only one that can do something like that I think. On top of that, it has a prison/tutor element.

It’s winrate against UW is somewhere hovering around 30%, if not lower. I like the deck a lot but that’s a big weakness to have in this format

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bonus posted:

Vizier combo seemed pretty drat fast too.
Trying to use rhythm of the wild in modern, however, really sucks.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Time posted:

It’s winrate against UW is somewhere hovering around 30%, if not lower. I like the deck a lot but that’s a big weakness to have in this format

Hmm, that's interesting. My first intuition is that it would be at least 50/50, or favored for whirza, due to the many angles of attack it has and the combo.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Also yeah, I thought Neobrand and Vizier combo would be really powerful in the new slower meta. Looks like all the fair decks pack too much disruption I guess.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It's better for whirza than it was for the older prison decks because sometimes you just thopter sword them and that's good enough but it's definitely not favorable

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

The American Dream posted:

Is anything using hexdrinker right now? I want to get a set but with my luck it’ll lose half it’s value a month after I get them.

It's ping ponged back and forth between $10-25ish bucks since it's printing. I just saw $11 and change on Tcgplayer and a set for $45 ish is pretty ok floor for a mythic from a master's only set that does do a thing. Low chance of it taking off but if it does find legs $11 will be a joke

$7.43 was it's lowest price ever but even I'm too lazy to hold out over $16 worth of mythic fun snek but I also don't believe in it enough to get more than the 1 I have.

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 1, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sampatrick posted:

Burn is owning the Open lmao

unban Hogaak

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
probably fine to unban grave troll now?

look just let me dream

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What did Ross just do on stream? Everyone is lolling.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fadam posted:

What did Ross just do on stream? Everyone is lolling.

He forgot to put Reclamation Sage in his deck to destroy Blood Moon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/Star_City_Games_Open/2019-08-31_modern_Dallas_TX_US/1/

Batterskull destroyed burn as a deck, burn is dead

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

also why the gently caress do I need to restart Arena after every 6-7 games to stop it from visibly chugging, come on Wizards

It's really bad and it gets worse with every update. I can't play 2 matches now without it being almost unplayable. It was doing other weird things last night too. My sideboarding would just end with like 10 seconds left and it randomly decided that a card I had highlighted for Command the Dreadhorde wasn't actually selected even though it was glowing yellow, which led to me eventually losing a game that would have got me to gold.

This is what we said all along. Batterskull is just toooo good against the turn 3.5 deck that has no way to stop a 1/2!!!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
isn't burn known to do well in untested formats with unoptimized decks?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
turns out the solution to midrange decks being bad was not unbanning a card that preys specifically midrange decks

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

??? Three burn decks in the top 8, 0 total SFMs. Whirrza did win it, which shouldn't be a surprise given how well it was doing during Hogaak summer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

rkajdi posted:

??? Three burn decks in the top 8, 0 total SFMs. Whirrza did win it, which shouldn't be a surprise given how well it was doing during Hogaak summer.

sarcasm from a sfm enthusiast

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

rkajdi posted:

I don't think that post was made completely in earnest.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rinkles posted:

sarcasm from a sfm enthusiast

Gotcha. Sorry about that.

I did notice humans got proper hosed. Either playstyle or decks are probably going to have to change. Luckily, the cardpool is huge for that deck, and aggro with control elements seems like something that should still be valid.

EDIT: Burn doing well in a format where people wanted to try out midrange isn't surprising to me. It's effectively spell aggro, so you end up just killing them before their deck does it's thing more often than not. It also has easy play patterns to get down, so there are a lot less misplays on it than most other decks. I always felt like I had a fighting chance with it at FNM, except in those situations where people just stacked their decks against it.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 2, 2019

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Plague Engineer is a mother fucker of a card.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star Man posted:

Plague Engineer is a mother fucker of a card.

Yup. I figure it's going to hurt tribal decks for a long time. Humans doesn't have much of a way to stop it outside of meddling mage or just growing the board before it shows up.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

probably fine to unban grave troll now?

look just let me dream

:hmmyes:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Burn is always a good deck in an unstable format.

SFM will be boarding firewalkers because a Firewalker with a sword eats burn up. Burn's a known quantity and is easier to deal with than most via sideboarding.

poo poo, could you imagine just sideboarding a spirit link onto Eidolon. (Don't do this but it would be hilarious)

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Whirza winning makes me so happy. Deck is sick af.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

feel a little dumb having sold my swords of the meek at 16 but I bought at 8 so I can’t feel that bad

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sampatrick posted:

Whirza winning makes me so happy. Deck is sick af.

Buying Urza, Lord High Artificer is def not sick af.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Burn being the Big Dawg of the weekend reminded me of this game, which is probably PSulli at his best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhWXEKbtCiw&t=1051s

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Toshimo posted:

Burn being the Big Dawg of the weekend reminded me of this game, which is probably PSulli at his best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhWXEKbtCiw&t=1051s

PSully blew Ross' hair off

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
PSully at his best is him ranting about the US healthcare system live on air while Cedric looks uncomfortable

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MikeCrotch posted:

PSully at his best is him ranting about the US healthcare system live on air while Cedric looks uncomfortable

Link? I’ve seen many of PSully’s rants, but I don’t recall one specifically regarding healthcare.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
If you have any Godsire’s lying around in your binder, good time to sell. Last I checked they’re up to $32 a pop.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

InterrupterJones posted:

If you have any Godsire’s lying around in your binder, good time to sell. Last I checked they’re up to $32 a pop.

Holy poo poo, what? Why?

Edit:

C-Euro posted:

The latest set of EDH pre-cons includes a Naya deck centered around the Populate mechanic.
I mean, I get that, but people have known that since Gencon, and the spike was really just in the past couple weeks, according to mtgstocks. It can't be just because the decks came out, can it?

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 2, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Aniodia posted:

Holy poo poo, what? Why?

The latest set of EDH pre-cons includes a Naya deck centered around the Populate mechanic.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Aniodia posted:

Holy poo poo, what? Why?

Edit:

I mean, I get that, but people have known that since Gencon, and the spike was really just in the past couple weeks, according to mtgstocks. It can't be just because the decks came out, can it?

Yeah, I can’t think of any other reason. There is practically zero constructed value for that card. I guess EDH/MTG Finance is just a hell of a drug.

Edit: Also, it probably wouldn’t be this bad if it had had any reprintings. Alara is considered one of those older new sets that ran out of its print run pretty quickly as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

InterrupterJones posted:

Yeah, I can’t think of any other reason. There is practically zero constructed value for that card. I guess EDH/MTG Finance is just a hell of a drug.

Edit: Also, it probably wouldn’t be this bad if it had had any reprintings. Alara is considered one of those older new sets that ran out of its print run pretty quickly as I recall.

The stupid EDH morph deck made dream chisel jump to $10 and the flashback deck made the dumb judgement equivalent card also jump to $10 because EDH