Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

G2 Skyquake, one of the most notorious sufferers of Gold Plastic Syndrome.

Skyquake is late Euro-only G1, but yeah, you're SOL trying to find him thanks to Gold Plastic Everything. There were two later uses of the mould those:
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Starscream_(G1)/toys#Machine_Wars
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/King_Atlas
And a quick scan of ebay suggests they're not too insanely priced if you want them.

Also this reminds me that I have G1 Falcon somewhere around, and I'm sure his gun has just melted by now :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
I assumed he was G2 due to his eye-gouging coloration.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, we just got the good poo poo early.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

You poor misguided children of the 90s.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome to G1.5

The last breaths of G1 before its glorious regeneration into GEN 2

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Turbomasters and Predators (ie Thunderclash and Skyquake) were almost like a prologue to G2. They came out in 92 in Europe and Canada, a year before G2 dropped. This was the second year that no new transformers were sold in the United States. It would also be the last year that no new transformers were sold in the United States.

*Ashokan Farewell plays as the camera pans over the tech spec for Stalker*

"My dearest Rotorstorm,

The indications are very strong that we shall sell in a few days - perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that should fall under your eyes when I should be no more..."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry, I went to a place

I'm back now

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

You poor misguided children of the 90s.

Mang, those are the years that gave us THUNDERCLASH! And, like, most of the cast of Last Stand of the Wreckers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
One thing I always found amazing was that no one tried to bring over any of the Brave or Eldran series back during the 90's(Gaogaigar in particular I feel would have done rather well on Toonami or maybe Kids WB)

Some of the other franchises that have tried to steal Transformers thunder over the years feel a bit more understandable in getting left in the dust like Webdiver or Daigunder

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
I saw Springer at a Target a couple days ago and suddenly I have Siege Optimus, Megatron, Springer, Red Alert and Hound. Luckily I'm picky about what I pick up (I haven't picked up Starcream or co... yet, and even those Soundwave's robot mode his perfect, his alt mode is bad garbage. Sorry duder.) I'm deep back into catching up on the tfwiki, and is there anything like a release schedule or even availability for the following waves of the Siege line? I was able to find a Siege Springer and Red Alert but I couldn't find the little Battle Master Smashdown anywhere.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

G2 toys were mostly superior to G1 in every way except for Slingshot crumbling into dust. (Still, 5 red/white plane boys is boring as hell)

Fiction-wise it wasn't so great between not having cartoon and a terminally 90s comic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Fiction-wise it wasn't so great between not having cartoon and a terminally 90s comic.

I always wondered what happened to the G2 comic's original artist, who made everything very RARGH and spiky (as was the style at the time). Didn't seem like he ever did much else.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I always wondered what happened to the G2 comic's original artist, who made everything very RARGH and spiky (as was the style at the time). Didn't seem like he ever did much else.

Derek Yaniger (which I remembered without having to look it up) never did a whole lot beyond the '90s.
http://comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=1997

But he has an art website!
http://www.derekart.com/

A little more about him:
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Derek_Yaniger

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the G2 comics were edgy as hell but also responsible for making bludgeon such a cool character, kind of like IDW did with overlord

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I think the G2 comics get too much flak.

They had some fun ideas that didn't really get to be done properly.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Triple-Kan posted:

I saw Springer at a Target a couple days ago and suddenly I have Siege Optimus, Megatron, Springer, Red Alert and Hound. Luckily I'm picky about what I pick up (I haven't picked up Starcream or co... yet, and even those Soundwave's robot mode his perfect, his alt mode is bad garbage. Sorry duder.) I'm deep back into catching up on the tfwiki, and is there anything like a release schedule or even availability for the following waves of the Siege line? I was able to find a Siege Springer and Red Alert but I couldn't find the little Battle Master Smashdown anywhere.
TBH Soundwave is so goo din robot mode that he's worth picking up anyway. Also he has a secret street lamp mode.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH Soundwave is so goo din robot mode that he's worth picking up anyway. Also he has a secret street lamp mode.

Yeah soundwave is very good. Definitely get him.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

does anyone do a good toy of goldbug?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Toyworld's isn't bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'Tiki-inspired work.' Huh. Okay, sure, why not?

Burkion posted:

Honestly I think the G2 comics get too much flak.

They had some fun ideas that didn't really get to be done properly.

And having read Regeneration One I'm more inclined to agree.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

This is well worth your cash monies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arquinsiel posted:

This is well worth your cash monies.

Yeah, the upscale is great.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

That is a ridiculously clean robot mode. FT really needs to make a Bumblebee, because the new Takara one just ain't doing it for me.

the G2 comics were edgy as hell but also responsible for making bludgeon such a cool character, kind of like IDW did with overlord

Furman had already done that with Bludgeon in the G1 Marvel comic and Earthforce. He just continued it in G2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, the FT dick is hard not to suck. I have so many FT bots on preorder all of a sudden. I bought that Final Victory 3-pack because I figured I didn't need MPs of the mini bots but FT showed me I was fuckin WRONG. Good thing they'll take years to get that poo poo out.

About to hit a small speedbump though, I decided it's time for a new car so I'll be cutting back for a few months to pump up my down payment a bit more.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keldroc posted:

That is a ridiculously clean robot mode. FT really needs to make a Bumblebee, because the new Takara one just ain't doing it for me.

Furman had already done that with Bludgeon in the G1 Marvel comic and Earthforce. He just continued it in G2.

my memories of the transition between g1 and g2 in the comics are pretty fuzzy. I know i lost interest in the comics when G2 tank megatron showed up and killed bludgeon, which I did not like at all. Pretty impressive too, cause I had the toy of G2 megatron but no bludgeon. He was just the coolest thing ever to me.

idk why but i've always been more of a decepticon fan than an autobot fan. I'm not sure if it was just the 'cool factor' of being villains, the colour schemes, or the fact they turned into more interesting stuff. the OG autobots mostly just turned into cars, whereas the decepticons got planes and construction vehicles and weird poo poo. the dinobots and sky lynx were also big favourites for me. the dinobots' hilariously lovely attitude in the g1 cartoon always ruled, especially the one triceratops guy who just hated everything.

i'm always kind of torn on the IDW comics. I like a lot of the stuff, but I'm not so much of a fan of tragic megatron. I think I like the literal saturday morning cartoon villain megatron better, frank welker's performance is so good.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, the upscale is great.
I shudder to think of how fiddly the arms would be at a smaller scale TBH. As it is, the mushroom pegs pop out on mine all the time.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the FT dinobots are so gorgeous looking, but i kinda wish they did versions with gold & silver paint instead of the shiny chrome. I'm still traumatized by scraping off some of the truck mode grill's chrome on my 20th anniversary optimus. having the fragile chrome need to rotate tightly past the die cast window parts was kind of a bad idea in retrospect.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

some more diaclone stuff arrived!

https://imgur.com/a/nKV0I2h

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Droyer posted:

it's really cool how many variant combinations it looks like there are.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/toygrind/status/1168280758227746817

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The missing wheels somehow make it worse.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arquinsiel posted:

The missing wheels somehow make it worse.
and the mechtech skids gun missing half the parts

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

why the heck would you do that?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

i'm really surprised there's no 3rd party jhiaxus or straxus. jhiaxus is a really long running character in 2 comic series now, but the only official toys hes gotten have been weird orange recolours of stuff that doesn't look anything like him.

does anyone have any opinion on the best version of overlord? hes a very cool character and i've never had a toy of him

MMC's Carnifex is very, very, very good.

drrockso20 posted:

a reminder that Catalogs were awesome

Thank you for posting this!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

spite

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Droyer posted:

Did you just get Dia-Battles? Is it "real"? I just got the KO, and I love it so much. Gorgeous robot mode, incredible engineering, such high quality. I can't stop gushing about it.

My Dianauts are different colors, though -- and mine didn't come with those extra accessories.

Great photos! It's amazing how many different combinations you can make with everything. I'm so impressed by Diaclone.

EDIT: Is there any kind of "fiction" for Dia-Battles and the Dianauts? Any narrative, any characters?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 2, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Thank you for posting this!

You're welcome, it's always fun to see the trends and experiments G1 went through over it's lifespan, such as how the Decepticons overall became more consistent in their overall aesthetics and themes while the Autobots never really achieved the same thing on a scale higher than within a specific subgroup, and also how most of the molds that were clearly designed primarily by Hasbro designers rather than Takara ones almost always ended up being janky messes

On another note it always surprises me how Micro Masters failed to achieve much success, and while it's more understandable why Action Masters failed, I do feel under better circumstances they would have done much better

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It reminds me a lot of how as a kid I had 7 tan plastic army men and about a million green army men, so naturally I decided that the tan army men would be my protagonists against the green horde. A fair amount of G1 has a similar feel, because there's just so many autobots to keep track of.

Much later I figured I had wound up with many more autobots than decepticons and then started to sympathize with the IDW's take of pre-war cybertron as a hopelessly corrupt society that kinda needed some kind of shaking up. And I made a little headcanon of Optimus as some kind of megalomaniacal leader who created an army in his own image, because dang I had too many primes.

Grift to buy a toy, replace it in the packaging, and return it for a full refund.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I like MMC Carnifex's face & glossy plastic the best, but I ended up buying double evil by fans hobby for a couple of reasons:

1) i could get him cheaper and cheap next day delivery in the UK vs ~£50 more + expensive shipping + long shipping for carnifex

2) pretty much every forum topic I googled had people rating double evil higher, but this was a comparatively minor factor cause I don't trust most people's taste and double evil is newer, and people always rave about newer stuff (except when they say it is the worst thing ever).

3) i think he is scaled better with the other masterpiece toys? i could be wrong

i was sad to read they were going to do another reissue of carnifex this year but cancelled it because preorder numbers were too low. I'd have been on that straight away.

idk if i am on crack but I pretty strongly remember seeing overlord in a shop in the uk at some point, I got a weird flashback to childhood when I first saw the character as an adult. It doesn't make a lot of sense cause iirc he was a japan-only transformer in G1, but I dunno who I would be confusing him with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Did you just get Dia-Battles? Is it "real"? I just got the KO, and I love it so much. Gorgeous robot mode, incredible engineering, such high quality. I can't stop gushing about it.

My Dianauts are different colors, though -- and mine didn't come with those extra accessories.

Great photos! It's amazing how many different combinations you can make with everything. I'm so impressed by Diaclone.

EDIT: Is there any kind of "fiction" for Dia-Battles and the Dianauts? Any narrative, any characters?

I don't do KOs so yes it's real. This is DA-11 rather than DA-1 (all Diaclone releases get a DA number) from what i can tell the main differences are a few color differences, a connector on DA-1 which was prone to breakage was fixed (this is why I chose 11) and differently colored dianauts and bike. Not sure what you mean by extra accessories? If you mean the different backpack and arms those are Cosmo Battles 02, a separate purchase I found on Ebay bundled with the Powered Systems.

There is fiction to Diaclone but only in product catalogs for the old ones, and on their official page for the new ones. you can find translations of the 80s catalogs here: http://www.transformerland.com/blog/diaclone-toy-catalog-scans-translation-1980-in-the-beginning/. AFAIK the new stuff has never been translated.