Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same, actually. it's fun, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Idle Skilling, while very compelling in that specifically Skinner-boxian way, is so terribly flawed that I don't know how much longer I can keep at it after a few weeks of progress; Flash ITYOOL2019. I have no idea why this game hasn't been shifted over to HTML5 or whatever. The monitization is some of the most aggressively mobile poo poo I've ever seen in an Idle game. Like, I can respect the hustle but when multiple features have their best possible options (the best cauldron, best tillers, best nest, etc etc etc I think this is the case for every major feature) locked behind the premium currency that barely trickles in something's wrong. I am aware of the 500 Gems into 1500 Gems one time thing but if you crunch the numbers even that 1500 barely gets you anything, and it seems that each new feature's IAPs are considerably more expensive than the last. I'm not adverse to IAPs because hey, it took work and effort to make the drat thing and the devs deserve to be paid for it but there's ways to go about doing this that aren't terrible. NGU has maybe the best balance in this regard, I hadn't really felt compelled to spend Kred for AP at all with how generously it trickled in and with prospects for making even more going forward, it was just posting itt and learning it was a goon project that tipped my hand. The stuff you buy, while certainly containing vital upgrades, feels like it's more about adding additional bits to features rather than capstone elements. Meanwhile I'm eyeballing the infinite Smith upgrade or all the crazy XP multipliers or whatever you can get in Skilling and I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing a vastly gimped version of the game unless I fork over substantial amounts of money.

Also I think someone else itt pointed out how it's like a dozen or two spinning plates at all times and nothing ever fades into the background, which I agree. I'm a few Ascensions in and it's still like I have to manual a whole boatload of stuff in every feature consistently in order to make progress. That's another thing I feel like NGU (which really is the gold standard for this particular type of Idle game, isn't it?) does better, allowing features to slowly fade into the background and require less and less manual attention the more progress you make with them.

I want to like Idle Skilling, I really do, especially with the crisp visuals and cool little ideas all meshing together, but... Man the monitization is a real bummer. I know that you can do everything in the game without it, but that's the standard script with these things and I legit feel like ignoring the IAPs is just going to lead to a very VERY drawn out grind.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

Meskhenet posted:

That is mine, except im working on the +++ ones now.

WIth such a small amount of R3 ive decided to leave those last. Id get more from pumping evil ngu's (i think)

evil ngus have very bad diminishing returns, and every percent in R3 at this stage means a lot more because they are the first one's you buy. R3 seems to have a big impact on wish times, and the NGU hacks are strong. I'm finding focusing on R3 a little past this point to be going really well for getting my stats up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm digging Evolve a lot actually but kind of bummed every time I start over because of how active the early game is. It takes a while to get to the point that you can let it run and still make some sort of progression so you're usually clicking a whole bunch to make resources before getting there. I assume this will eventually be a faster start?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
They added a plasmid purchase that unlocks the building and research queue from the start, which helps a lot. If you don't already have the upgrade to speed up the protoplasm stage then that's also worth it.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Chakan posted:

They added a plasmid purchase that unlocks the building and research queue from the start, which helps a lot. If you don't already have the upgrade to speed up the protoplasm stage then that's also worth it.

The queue is a big, big help to the feel of the game

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That does sound helpful, but I'm finding I don't get as much much use out of the building queue as I do the research queue. I'm often building whatever I am able to afford at that time so if I plan out my build queue too much in advance I'm usually missing out on stuff I could've been building instead.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Building queue is awesome for overnight. Plan out 8 hours of building come back with full materials still.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Yeah it's more for when you walk away from the game and lets you get expensive buildings. Great for late copper and cement heavy buildings

e: what's a good race to have sharkin and antid bonuses with? should I see if I can get balrog or maybe do ents? I'm gonna try to gently caress with prestige 3 this run and if not definitely next run

Feline Mind Meld fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 1, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ent it up, Balorgs get cut out of any trading so your early space is real lovely, even with slaves. Or go Orcs because they train military fast like noticeably so.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sage Grimm posted:

Ent it up, Balorgs get cut out of any trading so your early space is real lovely, even with slaves. Or go Orcs because they train military fast like noticeably so.

Is this orc thing honest advice? I dunno anything about hell dimension

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, because Ents having no Lumber isn't particularly strong once you're treading into late Bioseed/Blackhole nonsense; there's relatively few buildings that require it normally in Space and only 1 in Interstellar. Military, on the other hand, is strong through early game until Unity is reached, then returns as a major factor once Hell Dimension is open. You are guaranteed to be losing soldiers and having them return faster as Orcs (bog standard humanoid race) is pretty useful.

EDIT: Another possibility is Scorpids for their combat claws and their downside is never an issue because it's on Starvation.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 2, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i'm loving around with alkahistorian and it seems kinda interesting but actually figuring out what the resource paths are and how to specifically do anything is...kinda a challenge

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The most recent alkahistorian one is a bit insane with its links but does pull together nicely at the end and is definitely one worth sticking through.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rynoto posted:

The most recent alkahistorian one is a bit insane with its links but does pull together nicely at the end and is definitely one worth sticking through.

I'm still in The First Alkahistorian

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Captain Foo posted:

I'm still in The First Alkahistorian

Ah, the first two are pretty fast and do help explain the third which is where it gets crazy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rynoto posted:

Ah, the first two are pretty fast and do help explain the third which is where it gets crazy.

idk i'm stuck at trying to generate void

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

idk i'm stuck at trying to generate void

I don't remember void being in the first two. If it looks something like this:

Then you're on stage three and eventually it'll become a self-feeding loop.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:confused:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Keep clicking around to find if you can upgrade your main elements using the secondary ones products. Or strategically turning off a product reaction to stockpile another so you can use it for an upgrade.

EDIT: God exotic matter is a bitch to produce and throw into a god drat blackhole. Over a quarter the way through in the two days after starting and there's very little in the way of making it go faster. :suicide:

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 2, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Alkahistorian is a better cultist simulator than Cultist Simulator

It really feels like you're working with some dark, forbidden magic with the sheer effort it takes to make some sand.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

<screenshot>
:confused:

Yeah that's the most recent version aka stage three. The early game is all about hyper focusing single productions so turning off anything not needed in your specific building loop is essential. Later on you'll get upgrades and be able to create loops that are better at self-feeding.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Also, turns out war droids make your patrols one soldier larger and then as if your fortress is N - patrol soldiers larger when you have more droids than patrols. This is not a great use of Soul Gems when you're starting out: my Antids going from 59->60 in my fortress defense is comparable to adding another Plasma Turret. Drones, on the other hand, each make a reasonable RNG check (when threat is above 2000 you've got >50% chance to trigger if my math is right) to straight up kill a bunch of demons that tick, just as if they were a small-sized patrol just without the soul gem chance. They require more power and are competing on Graphene use for Interstellar Elerium production but have a bigger immediate impact on threat. And if you're burning Soul Gems on VR I..that was dumb don't do it ever.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Samuringa posted:

Alkahistorian is a better cultist simulator than Cultist Simulator

It really feels like you're working with some dark, forbidden magic with the sheer effort it takes to make some sand.

The first two weren't too bad, but the third Alkahistorian game made me feel dumber than a loving rock. Like I genuinely said out loud "I am too stupid for this game" and closed the tab after like two weeks.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rynoto posted:

Yeah that's the most recent version aka stage three. The early game is all about hyper focusing single productions so turning off anything not needed in your specific building loop is essential. Later on you'll get upgrades and be able to create loops that are better at self-feeding.

i can't even figure out the building loop to get both sand and steam sustainable, or more annoyingly, how to upgrade the things that would help!

e- or when what i need to do is idle rather than tweak

e2 - well now i'm sustaining successfully and i have no idea what happened

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 2, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

i can't even figure out the building loop to get both sand and steam sustainable, or more annoyingly, how to upgrade the things that would help!

e- or when what i need to do is idle rather than tweak

e2 - well now i'm sustaining successfully and i have no idea what happened

So one thing that took me far too long to figure out in stage three was how the white bars you unlock work and they're absolutely essential.
So for many producers/consumers there are two white bars that can appear. The bottom one controls maximum output and for primary outputs can be left at max while secondaries and latter should be controlled to stop overproduction. The top one though is far more nuanced in that it controls the minimum amount of resources required to start a reaction. If you turn this too low without a high enough production base then that reaction will eat the entirety of your production of the resource until its output is capped and can starve secondary production loops into making them non-functional so carefully tinkering this bar is good to make sure you cap each production to leave enough to feed all of your essential consumers.

Once you get those sorted it's mostly about integrating more and better loops into the system.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh jfc what now i have time control

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

why do none of the things after alkahest have images

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
So I feel like I might be kinda hosed playing sharkin in the hell dimension, if I put any patrols up they just die in droves and then i don't have any food production. I suppose I could move some people over to farming and turn off my tourism but uh I'm not sure how much that's going to help.

I can always pull the rip cord and do a space reset into orc, just kind of was hoping to be able to do a little of this now

e: also how the heck am I supposed to know what size vs number of patrols i'm running argh why does this game not tell you how anything works

Feline Mind Meld fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 2, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aurora posted:

why do none of the things after alkahest have images

a few of them do, for me

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Idle Skilling is way more fun once you edit your save and add 500 Pachinko balls, giving you enough gems to get over the P2W hump.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 2, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Eldercain posted:

So I feel like I might be kinda hosed playing sharkin in the hell dimension, if I put any patrols up they just die in droves and then i don't have any food production. I suppose I could move some people over to farming and turn off my tourism but uh I'm not sure how much that's going to help.

I can always pull the rip cord and do a space reset into orc, just kind of was hoping to be able to do a little of this now

e: also how the heck am I supposed to know what size vs number of patrols i'm running argh why does this game not tell you how anything works

Starting out, one big patrol is about all you can sustain. If you've got Hivemind, then 20 soldiers is a good number prior to military tech boosts post-Hell. The only reason you want to do this at the moment is to make the place safe for your Surveyors to find Infernite for Research and buildings. However! Without an even larger contingent in your fortress as defense (60-70 with Hivemind) you will have the demons overrun and kill everyone assigned to Hell every so often. You might not have a military large enough to handle this so it be best to just assign enough for a patrol and check back occasionally to replenish your soldiers.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Peachfart posted:

Idle Skilling is way more fun once you edit your save and add 500 Pachinko balls, giving you enough gems to get over the P2W hump.

Gems are called sparklecoin

edit: also, regarding the earlier post about the gems, you do end up getting a steady stream of them after a couple months of playing. There are several ways to obtain gems. Seems like a decent amount of poeple in the discord come in to praise the dev for having fair mtx.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

he added pachinko? poo poo, someone make a pachinko idler

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Evolve: can someone explain fanaticism, or link an explanation?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Incremental Adventures: does someone know what affects PP2 points? Should I prestige immediately when there's a PP2 point available, or can I earn more if I keep grinding PP1 points and getting (slightly) further into the levels?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Evolve: can someone explain fanaticism, or link an explanation?

You take on the traits of your previous race and also get some combat bonuses.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sage Grimm posted:

Starting out, one big patrol is about all you can sustain. If you've got Hivemind, then 20 soldiers is a good number prior to military tech boosts post-Hell. The only reason you want to do this at the moment is to make the place safe for your Surveyors to find Infernite for Research and buildings. However! Without an even larger contingent in your fortress as defense (60-70 with Hivemind) you will have the demons overrun and kill everyone assigned to Hell every so often. You might not have a military large enough to handle this so it be best to just assign enough for a patrol and check back occasionally to replenish your soldiers.

Cheers.

I hate to ask again but how do you get soul gems

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Eldercain posted:

Cheers.

I hate to ask again but how do you get soul gems

With frustrating infrequency until you build more attractors (9 was a sweet spot for me to get enough to finish). 1/(10000 *.92/attractor) per tick per patrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

You take on the traits of your previous race and also get some combat bonuses.

You only take on the major positive trait of your most recent race. You won’t get the genus traits, nor the secondary trait from your most recent race. The combat bonus is nice, but you also get more trade routes which is a pretty big boon going for a space reset.