Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

“Time to get on the forums.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I never saw JFK, but I saw Nixon in college. At the time I thought it was a hacky, gimmicky slog.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JFK is poo poo.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Halloween Jack posted:

I never saw JFK, but I saw Nixon in college. At the time I thought it was a hacky, gimmicky slog.

I unironically love Nixon, but I can also understand that it's not really a good movie in any meaningful sense.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Jim Garrison was literally being trolled by Robert Anton Wilson and some other Discordians during the course of his investigation.
https://www.dailygrail.com/2016/09/the-prankster-and-the-assassin/

quote:

After catching wind of Chapman’s goofy Illuminati theory, Thornley – with the support of some of his fellow Discordian Society pranksters – initiated what became known as Operation Mindfuck (OM), a campaign designed to screw with Garrison’s head by sending out spurious announcements suggesting that he (Kerry) was indeed an agent of the Ancient Illuminated Seers of Bavaria (AISB).

Under the auspices of “The Bavarian Illuminati”, Kerry invented a Do-It-Yourself Conspiracy Kit, which included stationery containing dubious letterheads. Among the culprits who helped perpetrate OM was none other than Robert Anton Wilson. As Kerry later noted:

Wilson and I founded the Anarchist Bavarian Illuminati to give Jim Garrison a hard time, one of whose supporters believed that the Illuminati owned all the major TV networks, the Conspiring Bavarian Seers (CBS), the Ancient Bavarian Conspiracy (ABC) and the Nefarious Bavarian Conspirators (NBC).4

These OM communiqués led Garrison to suspect that the Discordian Society had operated as a CIA front organization involved in the JFK assassination. As Wilson observed in Cosmic Trigger:

Try to picture a jury keeping a straight face when examining a conspiracy that worshipped the Goddess of Confusion, honored Emperor Norton as a saint, had a Holy Book called “How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her After I Found Her,” and featured personnel who called themselves Malaclypse the Younger, Ho Chi Zen, Mordecai the Foul, Lady L, F.A.B., Fang the Unwashed, Harold Lord Randomfactor, Onrak the Backwards, et al…

origins of Weird Twitter go before SA even

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 30, 2019

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Glad that Will mentionned it because I cannot recommend Don DeLillo's "Libra" enough. Such a compelling book that gets in the heads of all the weirdos surrounding the JFK assassination.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Hearing the Chapo boys mention Huey Long makes me hungry for an Inebriated Past covering his assassination since it's a rabbit hole all its own

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Oh poo poo listening to this made me realize in the ~10 years since last watching it I'd mentally substituted Powers Boothe for Tommy Lee Jones

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Oh poo poo listening to this made me realize in the ~10 years since last watching it I'd mentally substituted Powers Boothe for Tommy Lee Jones

hey weirdly me too, I was about to be all 'why do they keep calling him Tommy Lee Jones' but welp.

Is this some Mandela Effect poo poo

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you liked today's Chapo on JFK (which was Actually Good, much like the movie they reviewed) you'll probably like today's premium TrueAnon pod where they go into the Multiple Oswalds vs Multiple Epsteins theory.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1167144354902945792
*to the tune of I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) by The Four Tops* 🎶 Cheeto Christ, Stupid Czar 🎶

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

that's an interesting choice but I'm going to sing it to the tune of jesus christ superstar instead

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Joementum posted:

If you liked today's Chapo on JFK (which was Actually Good, much like the movie they reviewed) you'll probably like today's premium TrueAnon pod where they go into the Multiple Oswalds vs Multiple Epsteins theory.

that was a Marvel one-stop, right

Infinite Oswalds on Infinite Knolls

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Breadallelogram posted:

that's an interesting choice but I'm going to sing it to the tune of jesus christ superstar instead

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Breadallelogram posted:

Thank you for posting this, because I didn't get the tweet before, and was trying to figure it out. :tipshat:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the film jfk has made more americans dumber than probably any other movie. loose change wishes it had even close to that impact.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Groovelord Neato posted:

the film jfk has made more americans dumber than probably any other movie. loose change wishes it had even close to that impact.

But it also gave us a terrific episode of Seinfeld.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nice game pretty boy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

prefect posted:

But it also gave us a terrific episode of Seinfeld.
Keith Hernandez is a bigger criminal than Lee Harvey Oswald

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Never seen JFK. Only ever knew about its famous courtroom scene, and it's pretty funny to find out that case was a fiasco and the jury acquited the guy in an hour.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I legit forgot how central the gay mafia stuff was.

Also I now know the source of my dad's 'ageing hippy turned alex jones psycho' brain disease.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
In Oliver Stone's defense, the version of the JFK conspiracy depicted in Nixon was only half-gay (J. Edgar Hoover). The other half was an assortment of aggressively heterosexual Texan business types.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1167172911230279680?s=20

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

The acting was good, but that's the case with every mediocre movie released late in the calendar year that's intended to be Oscar bait.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

nice game pretty boy.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

NIXON is great! Maybe Oliver Stone's best movie. If you listen to one of his commentaries on it (I think he made two lol) you'll find he's a stone-cold genius. I've always thought JFK and NIXON are at least useful politically even though they might be inaccurate or even actively deceptive because they show the pernicious influence of state institutions on American life. They're like a counter-propaganda against the official narrative.

NIXON has a really great conceit of describing US intelligence and capital as "the Beast" which is the best description I've seen of it in a mainstream American film. Even Nixon is shown to be in thrall to it, this mindless, self-preserving, murderous id that has controlled postwar society. I really think it's terrific

Past Tense Ragu fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 1, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the official narrative on the jfk assassination is correct though. it's the saddest part of the whole conspiracy industry built around it - the warren report got it right all those years ago.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 1, 2019

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Does anyone know if the twitch dem debate was saved anywhere on youtube or something? It's cycled out of the twitch backlog.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Chexoid posted:

Does anyone know if the twitch dem debate was saved anywhere on youtube or something? It's cycled out of the twitch backlog.

Is this the one you are looking for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQwH6yFRP8

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

beepo posted:

Is this the one you are looking for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQwH6yFRP8

Thanks but I was thinking of the earlier one. I am in the mood to see Matt call Hickenlooper "the Black serpent of the Mountain"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I would love to see what percentage of Garfield books were sold at school Book Fairs. I know I got a few

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I would love to see what percentage of Garfield books were sold at school Book Fairs. I know I got a few
:same:
They also sell big hardcovers, matching the Franco-Belgian comic book format, for French-speaking markets.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I had a goddamn fat stack of those things. my parents would go to the bookstore in the mall with me tagging along and I'd walk out of there with another Garfield book.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i can't get over that icy stare

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I got a ton of like 3-in-1 editions from school book sales.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In a follow up tweet, Will clarified that is his childhood stash.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Joementum posted:

In a follow up tweet, Will clarified that is his childhood stash.

thank god, i thought he was stealing garfield valor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Uranium posted:

:same:
They also sell big hardcovers, matching the Franco-Belgian comic book format, for French-speaking markets.

Yep, got a bunch here in Frencha Canadia.