Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yes, basically all of the cool movies. Aliens, Predator, Terminator. I'll even allow Starship Troopers although that's a bit different.

Robocop kinda fits, why not the Verhoeven-sphere? I say Ver-hoi-ven you say Ver-höv-en, probs both wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Should be verhooven

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

madeintaipei posted:

Robocop kinda fits, why not the Verhoeven-sphere? I say Ver-hoi-ven you say Ver-höv-en, probs both wrong.

Yeah it really does. But he's his own whole other deal since he's a genius.

I'll allow it. And encourage it.

I say vehr-hoe-ven. Hoe as in the gardening tool. Not sure what it really is. I'd honestly like to know.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Yeah it really does. But he's his own whole other deal since he's a genius.

I'll allow it. And encourage it.

I say vehr-hoe-ven. Hoe as in the gardening tool. Not sure what it really is. I'd honestly like to know.

Little bit of a sharp e on the second syllable? The only people that have figured out Dutch are the Afrikaaners, and who knows how they say it.

Watch any of "our" movies dubbed in Afrikaans, it's so weird as an English speaker. Maybe weirder if you were Dutch? Mein hand is in varm water. Talking out mein arsch, vieleicht.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEweP2TiMk

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Total Recall is fair game via the Recursive Arnold Theorem

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I don't have much to contribute, so I'll keep it brief. Aliens has been one of my favorite films since I saw it on VHS when in 1987 when I was 8. I didn't see Alien until I was much older, which I'm glad about because I think I got much more out of it than if I had were I younger. I enjoyed 3. Resurrection was meh, Prometheus was just dumb. I know I saw at least one AvP but that's how memorable it was to me. Predator and 2 were fun. I never saw the Terminator, but my seventh grade art showed T2 to our class one day for some reason and it was neat. Robocop ruled. Total Recall was good. Props on Biehn saying your name.

Thank you. That is all.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yeah this. It's a great game, and I bought it when it looked like 3DR and Voidpoint were going to remove the garbage that made it in, and when they flipped and sold out to the precious delicate manchildren, it was too late for a refund.

Definitely :filez: it though, again it's a lot of fun and a really solid game. The developers / 3D Realms just don't deserve a dime for it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You should definitely watch The Terminator, plenty of people feel it's better than T2.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

You should definitely watch The Terminator, plenty of people feel it's better than T2.

This.

Definitely watch the Terminator.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'll be straight with you guys I knew this is also the terminator thread I was just setting up the gif

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 2, 2019

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Aliens is finishing up on BBC America followed by T2. Nice way to finish out a long weekend.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

ive always felt terminator was better but now thanks to this thread i can articulate exactly why. thanks thread

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So there's a documentary coming out that looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgWinF5VsNw

T2 is an amazing action movie, but it's an amazing PG-13 action movie. Terminator is a horror movie with action. An underappreciated scene is where Sarah's roommate gets killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYeRhDdtryc

The scene starts with setup, Sarah learns that someone with her name was shot and killed. Then, off to her apartment.
First the jump scare with Puggsley. Then the boyfriend gets beaten to death. The the second scare with the bloody body thrown through the door. Lastly the desperate run for for safety, doomed before she took her first step away. Five rounds in the back. The drat machine keeps shooting until she stops twitching. Then the machine gets startled when the phone rings and the answering machine picks up.

"Machines need love too" indeed.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It was a perfect god drat analogy come on people

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I also like how Reece steals trousers from a hobo who, statistically, has likely poo poo his pants a few times. But despite this, and despite him being a spooky loving clown who admits to jerking off to her pictures, Sarah lets him raw dog her in a seedy motel.

And THAT is why Terminator 1 is better than 2.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Drunken Baker posted:

a spooky loving clown who admits to jerking off to her pictures

elaborate on this please, i haven't seen Terminator in a while

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
80s Arnold is so goddamned young

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Splicer posted:

The fuckin school picture day haircut he has before he gets part of it burnt off cracks me up every time

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
This video explains pretty well why T1 was better than T2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6_awUgbUJs

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Splicer posted:

I love that according to him he actually made an acting choice to cut 25 pounds for Predator because he'd be more believable as a special forces soldier if he lost a little bodybuilder bulk to get more lean.

In practice I don't think a single soul watching him fight a space alien cared, or probably even would have noticed the difference.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mister Speaker posted:

elaborate on this please, i haven't seen Terminator in a while

When Reese is talking to Sarah he mentions that he has a picture of her and says something weird like he studied it all the time and remembered all of the curves or something.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

When Reese is talking to Sarah he mentions that he has a picture of her and says something weird like he studied it all the time and remembered all of the curves or something.

he was 100% jackin' it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Terminator 2 should have been called Terminators

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
regarding kids-seeing-Aliens chat: am I the only person who honestly thinks this movie's fine for older kids (I'd say like 7+)?

like, there's barely any gore (I think Ferro's blood hitting the dropship window, that burn on Hicks' face and Bishop getting ganked are literally it), there's no sexual content whatsoever, and realistically speaking, any kid I have would hear just as much swearing from their own parents if not more. :v: it's an intense movie but that has roughly equal odds of scaring the poo poo out of a kid, or making them absolutely love it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

regarding kids-seeing-Aliens chat: am I the only person who honestly thinks this movie's fine for older kids (I'd say like 7+)?

like, there's barely any gore (I think Ferro's blood hitting the dropship window, that burn on Hicks' face and Bishop getting ganked are literally it), there's no sexual content whatsoever, and realistically speaking, any kid I have would hear just as much swearing from their own parents if not more. :v: it's an intense movie but that has roughly equal odds of scaring the poo poo out of a kid, or making them absolutely love it.

I saw it when I was ~8 and I turned out fine. A couple years later when I got a VHS copy of it it did make my brother have nightmares at that age though, so YMMV.

There is a chest burster scene you forgot about.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Is there an online version of that Aliens tech manual that has all the cool gear and poo poo from the movies meticulously done? A PDF of that would be excellent reference / inspiration for Rho's game.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I found the full Aliens sound track is on Spotify.

Life has changed for the better.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I actually snagged a copy over the weekend after checking out all the local indie bookstores/comics shops latest shipments. I keep a note in my phone of all the books/comics/etc that I'm looking out for whenever I'm in one of those shops and totally scored.
I would have paid less had I gone through Amazon. It's not even $20 on Amazon.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

there's no sexual content whatsoever

I know what you mean by that, but it made me smile given the movies are literally about penis-headed rape monsters.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Voting Floater posted:

I know what you mean by that, but it made me smile given the movies are literally about penis-headed rape monsters.

:hmmyes:

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Hey buddy, did you just see a real bright light?

Lol that bum was robbed of an Oscar (and his pants).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

My six year old got nightmares from The Little Mermaid and categorically will not watch it again

I don't see her being up for Aliens in a year

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Looks like love at first sight to me.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Looks like love at first sight to me.

Edit: DAMMIT!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
lmao

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
:allears: This thread is a constant source of joy.

Aliens is absolutely fine for kids. Encouraged, even.

Aren't parents complaining that the new Dark Crystal film is "too dark" for babies? More modern media for kids should have a sliver or two of darkness in them... and I say that as a boomer year old who hasn't watched children's media since Return to Oz, but I say it with absolute authority.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The new dark crystal should be required viewing for all children, because it's literally about the wealthy elite conspiring with elected politicians to murder the common folk in order to destroy the planet and enrich themselves further.

Highly educational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wow, I bet you feel really silly right about now.