Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jabor posted:

way too silly and must only happen on halloween: pyro gets to wear a pair of monster claw fuzzy slippers

sensible and gets to happen all the time: pyro's head is replaced by an incandescent lightbulb

Yeah I like the idea of Halloween restrictions, but they really need to recalibrate which items are restricted and which aren’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
If they really had to keep the Halloween restrictions (they don't), they could at least make them work the way the Pyrovision items like the Balloonicorn do, so that you can wear them whenever but only the players who are also wearing Halloween items can actually see them.

That, or implement a toggle in the menu to hide the more thematically inappropriate and visually distracting cosmetics.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Did they ever add a way to obtain spells for items (colors, footprints, ghosts, pumpkins). If I recall correctly they can no longer be obtained.

If Halloween is always enabled, then is there a way to turn them off?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

gtrmp posted:

If they really had to keep the Halloween restrictions (they don't), they could at least make them work the way the Pyrovision items like the Balloonicorn do, so that you can wear them whenever but only the players who are also wearing Halloween items can actually see them.

That, or implement a toggle in the menu to hide the more thematically inappropriate and visually distracting cosmetics.

a button that lets you turn off unusuals :popeye:

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Peanut President posted:

a button that lets you turn off unusuals :popeye:

Or just turn off all cosmetics. There is something beautiful about the original esthetic of the game.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I had a dream last night that I was rocket jumping everywhere with the Direct Hit.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
If you have one of those Crate Depression unusuals, the first one that hit your inventory should be tradable now! Any Crate Depression unusuals beyond that are refundable through September 20, 2019 by going to the Steam Support page and clicking on the "I need help with the Team Fortress 2 Unusual hat bug" button.

The only two hats I had left:

Haunted Ghosts would be a better memento but at least Green Energy looks better, so I'm quite pleased with this outcome.

edit: Apparently over 130,000 unusuals were unboxed in that ~12 hour time frame. Valve letting people have a tradable unusual, as well as the option to refund their non-tradable unusuals is pretty drat generous.

edit edit: Don't panic sell your tradable unusual.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 17, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
hi do people still play this game and do you want a goon medic to fail to heal you but try?

hit me up if so

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

hi do people still play this game and do you want a goon medic to fail to heal you but try?

hit me up if so

I think there are some of us that still play. Most of us have kind of aged out of playing daily and catch a few games or so when we can.

You can feel free to add me, I’m US east coast; http://steamcommunity.com/id/oxygenpoisoning

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Got back home and decides to finally boot this up again. Its still so fun

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Really, the only time this game gets me frustrated is when there’s a blatant hacker that the other team refuses to kick. Luckily, the last 3 times I’ve seen a hacker, we’ve gotten them kicked in a few minutes. Less blatant ones are a little more difficult, and honestly I can live with a wall hacker just because it can be out played.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i just decided to play a few games on a lark, ended up running around with the loose cannon for a bit

*DOUBLE DONK*

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jabor posted:

i just decided to play a few games on a lark, ended up running around with the loose cannon for a bit

:doink:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well, I remember why I like Upward 🗡️

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
This might sound foolish, but I've thought about shelling out a few dollars to buy some keys to unbox some of the hat cases that I got recently. I got the Steam Mobile thing set up, but it take 15 days before you can do any trading/purchases, so I can't use scrap.tf just yet.

If anything, I thought about buying the contract ticket thing to get some of the challenges and bonuses related to that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The contracts thing is fun, but don't bother with including, especially right now when there's nothing particularly exciting or interesting to unbox. Two keys will buy any weapons you might need and several of basically any cosmetic for every class.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

If converted directly to metal, keys are worth 45-50 refined metal each.

Nearly every single item you'll unbox from any recent series crate will be worth 3-10 refined metal. Older series crates? 1.33-5 refined metal.

Don't use keys. Sell them. Contracts are good and fun.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 25, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

The contracts thing is fun, but don't bother with including, especially right now when there's nothing particularly exciting or interesting to unbox. Two keys will buy any weapons you might need and several of basically any cosmetic for every class.

I don't understand what you mean by 'including'.

Otacon posted:

If converted directly to metal, keys are worth 45-50 refined metal each.

Nearly every single item you'll unbox from any recent series crate will be worth 3-10 refined metal. Older series crates? 1.33-5 refined metal.

Don't use keys. Sell them. Contracts are good and fun.

Can I buy the contracts ticket with the key/refined metal trading thing?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

I don't understand what you mean by 'including'.

Can I buy the contracts ticket with the key/refined metal trading thing?

AFAIK, no. The Pyroland contracts are available at no cost, but the Mercenary Park Contracts are a premium purchase. If you buy them through the TF2 store it applies towards making your account premium, which again AFAIK just involves spending at least $5 and enables trading.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Autocorrect, "including" should be "unboxing"

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
As others have said, selling a key to scrap.tf will get you a full set of weapons and a decent selection of hats. The secret to unboxing is to not unbox at all. Just buy the hat you want and can afford.

However, if you must unbox wait for ScreamFortress 2019. During the past few Halloween events they doubled the unusual unbox rates, along with a chance at taunt unusualifiers. Halloween effects also tend to have decent resell value.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 26, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Some various things I wanted to post about

+ There's a weird bug that seems crop up from time-to-time when playing on Casual, where the option to vote is locked out; not just for me, but for everyone playing. When it happens, it just results in the server picking the map that was just played on.

+ Within the last 24 hours, I've gotten auto-balanced to the opposing team just as we're on the cusp of winning at least three times in the last 24 hours. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining (I mean, I guess I am), but it's like the game has it out for me.

+ Something I found really amusing is that in Medieval Mode on DeGroot Keep, whatever you type into chat get converted into 'Ye Olde English'.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
FORSOOTH!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Max Wilco posted:

+ Something I found really amusing is that in Medieval Mode on DeGroot Keep, whatever you type into chat get converted into 'Ye Olde English'.

I always loved that.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

It is, no exaggeration, the best thing about medieval mode.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've always been real disappointed that nobody ever made a server that would play normal maps in medieval mode. Sure, it would be broken and stupid but not any more so than like stop that tank mode.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I've always wanted a medieval koth map with a kind of stonehenge for the point and two siege weapons on opposite sides of the map that can bombard the point. Medieval is stupid, but sometimes it's fun to be stupid for a while.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hell yeah, valve implement this you'll cowards don't even medieval.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I remember a server I frequented a long time ago where the house rule was that whenever 2fort was voted up, it would always be played melee only.

It actually made the map fun as a sort of change of pace from actually good maps instead of a boring slog that makes you want to die. Medieval 2fort would be a fun one.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Some various things I wanted to post about

+ There's a weird bug that seems crop up from time-to-time when playing on Casual, where the option to vote is locked out; not just for me, but for everyone playing. When it happens, it just results in the server picking the map that was just played on.

This is a common bug in casual. You can circumvent it with console commands. Type “next_map_vote #” in console where # corresponds with your map choice from left to right starting at 0. So the first map is 0, middle option is 1, and the last, right most is 2. I’ve gotten to choose numerous maps because not a lot of players know the command.

quote:

+ Within the last 24 hours, I've gotten auto-balanced to the opposing team just as we're on the cusp of winning at least three times in the last 24 hours. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining (I mean, I guess I am), but it's like the game has it out for me.

I’ve had something similar to me happen as well. I just chalked it up to bad luck, but maybe it was a change in the game?

quote:

I wish valve would change melee detection on swords so we could have ridiculous demo knight duels similar to mordhau.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I see lots of complaints about autobalance online, but it's not something I frequently experience. Maybe it happens more on asymmetrical maps or something, but I usually don't see autobalance pop up much unless one team is really stomping the other which to me seems like working as intended.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Caring about what team you're on or even if your team is winning when playing TF2 seems like the worst way to play the game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If I do a really good job playing the game, and my teammates do too, and we win the game, but five seconds before it happens I get autobalanced to the other team, I don’t really care. The fact that the screen says YOU LOSE instead of YOU WIN doesn’t invalidate any of the stuff I did or the fun I had doing it. I don’t really see what the fuss is about.

The only bad autobalance experience I had was a recent game in which me and a Medic were the only ones defending the point on a KOTH match, and my medic got autobalanced while we were being attacked.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I once played a custom map that was payload, but also medieval mode. The cart was a big Trojan-style horse and it was pretty fun, but I don’t remember what it was called. :(

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ariong posted:

If I do a really good job playing the game, and my teammates do too, and we win the game, but five seconds before it happens I get autobalanced to the other team, I don’t really care. The fact that the screen says YOU LOSE instead of YOU WIN doesn’t invalidate any of the stuff I did or the fun I had doing it. I don’t really see what the fuss is about.

The only bad autobalance experience I had was a recent game in which me and a Medic were the only ones defending the point on a KOTH match, and my medic got autobalanced while we were being attacked.

It's not a big deal, I just thought it was odd it kept happening to me.

So I finally got it set up so I can do trades, as well as use scrap.tf. However, I haven't had much luck in actually using scrap.tf. I tried doing a trade yesterday, and I got to the point where it gave me a confirmation message on my phone. I hit confirm, but it just gave me a error message, despite hitting both 'confirm' and 'cancel'. Eventually, I just just gave up and abandoned it.

I thought I'd try again today, and to my surprise the first trade did actually go through! However, whenever I try to trade something now, I get a message of 'Sorry, this bot is no longer available to trade'. Is that something on my end that's causing it, or what?

It's worth noting that I run a couple of browser extensions like UBlock and Privacy Badger. I set Privacy Badger to allow everything, which is how I was able to get the first trade going.

EDIT: I just tried doing another trade about twenty minutes ago, and it went through. Only weird quirk was that I accepted it on my phone, but it didn't seem to acknowledge it happening via the browser, so I just had to close the window. Still got the item, though. :shrug:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 4, 2019

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Max Wilco posted:

So I finally got it set up so I can do trades, as well as use scrap.tf. However, I haven't had much luck in actually using scrap.tf. I tried doing a trade yesterday, and I got to the point where it gave me a confirmation message on my phone. I hit confirm, but it just gave me a error message, despite hitting both 'confirm' and 'cancel'. Eventually, I just just gave up and abandoned it.

I thought I'd try again today, and to my surprise the first trade did actually go through! However, whenever I try to trade something now, I get a message of 'Sorry, this bot is no longer available to trade'. Is that something on my end that's causing it, or what?

Not sure about the first problem but Tuesday is Steam maintenance day and trading sometimes goes down while they update stuff.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Trade confirmations are bugged, when you press confirm it registers but doesn’t actually tell you so. On iPhone I just swipe up to refresh the page and it’ll clear itself

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Can’t believe they put Engineer Teamfortress into smash.

https://youtu.be/zJ3sX2h6pgY

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Stupid maps and servers were so much fun.

I still fondly remember the 4CHAN PARTY VAN. No really, hear me out. It wasn't racist/nazi/pedo poo poo, it was just the absolute dumbest maps and mods, and a huge selection of sound clips you could use for chat.

2fort 2furious was also fantastic, and it's where I played when I wanted something silly and fun but not as braindead as the PARTY VAN.

The worst servers were the ones constantly begging for donations or offering pay-to-win perks.

Ariong posted:

Can’t believe they put Engineer Teamfortress into smash.

https://youtu.be/zJ3sX2h6pgY

:argh:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I miss dumb gimmick nights in the Lost Continents, honestly.

https://youtu.be/Kp6Pf_Qg9pk