Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The dirt will be too acidic for plants in 20 years this loving guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

this dude dumb af agriculture doesnt work that way especially when you paved over all that arable land to build lovely subdivisions

They're going to murder the world and then celebrate their superiority for murdering us. Then they're going to starve to death in terrified agony as they realise that murder didn't grant them some magical immunity from the biosphere collapsing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

They're going to murder the world and then celebrate their superiority for murdering us. Then they're going to starve to death in terrified agony as they realise that murder didn't grant them some magical immunity from the biosphere collapsing.

Yeah, but think of the value they've created for shareholders.

Suplex Liberace posted:

Just use carbon capture for synthetic limestone to neutralize it.

I should patent that so i can make billions by taking the person who actually figures it out to court in eastern Texas.

"Method for neutralizing acidic soil with Lime produced through atmospheric carbon capture, page 1 of 1"

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Happy labour day I think? if true pouring one out for the working man

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:cheerdoge:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:27 on Jun 20, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

silver lining, we could find some dope rear end poo poo* when Lake Winnipeg drains out.

*actual technical term for anthropological discoveries.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Powershift posted:

While there is more Canada west of Ontario

the hell you say!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

infernal machines posted:

the hell you say!

Remember the Northwest Territories and Rupert's Land

I swear to loving god.

I told lower Canada to buy it from the Hudson's Bay Company and they actually did it, the absolute Mad Men.

lmfao, me-yow

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Powershift posted:

While there is more Canada west of Ontario(mild shock!) a warmer climate won't exactly be a net benefit there. The prairie cities' sprawl is loving disgusting, but canada is really loving big.

Southern Alberta/Saskatchewan is already a desert and while most of the biomass that created the good soil in central/northern Alberta formed during the medieval warm period, there was a much smaller population to support. Northern Alberta could be a huge farming center in 200 years but the next 100 are going to be loving rough. It was once believed Fort Vermillion(pop. 727) would be Alberta's capital, with the Peace River region being Alberta's breadbasket, but that was largely before trains replaced river steamers.

That said, there is evidence barley was grown in Greenland in that same period, but that again is 200 years out, and assumes we don't get invaded for our water by India or china once the Himalayas stop feeding the rivers in southeast Asia.

Within the next 50 years, i would imagine the most valuable land in the world could be the clay belt in Ontario/Quebec, and in the peace river region of Alberta/BC. Siberia might have fertile land but I'm not sure they have the robust water cycle to support the same level of agriculture.

On the other hand, these statements are based on acquired knowledge and made in good faith, so are largely irrelevant. Keep having a bunch of kids and breeding large dogs and buying a new truck every 2 years because things will be better than fine, they'll be great!

the thing is there's way more to climate change agriculture planning than "hotter means grow farther north", you have to worry about soil quality, sunlight hours, precipitation levels, precipitation concentration, and so on, and so on

here's a map of canada's plant hardiness zones:

you can really see the concentration of 3s 4s and 5s where we grow all our food

here's the formula they use to calculate that:

quote:

The most recent Plant Hardiness zones map (McKenney et al, 2001) was developed by mapping a plant hardiness or suitability index. This index comes from a formula originally developed by Oullet and Sherk, (1967a,b,c). Their formula is:

Y = -67.62 + 1.734X₁ + 0.1868X₂ + 69.77X₃ + 1.256X₄ + 0.006119X₅ + 22.37X₆ - 0.01832X₇

where:

Y = estimated index of suitability
X₁ = monthly mean of the daily minimum temperatures (°C) of the coldest month
X₂ = mean frost free period above 0°C in days
X₃ = amount of rainfall (R) from June to November, inclusive, in terms of R/(R+a) where a=25.4 if R is in millimeters and a=1 if R is in inches
X₄ = monthly mean of the daily maximum temperatures (°C) of the warmest month
X₅ = winter factor expressed in terms of (0°C - X₁)Rjan where Rjan represents the rainfall in January expressed in mm
X₆ = mean maximum snow depth in terms of S/(S+a) where a=25.4 if S is in millimeters and a=1 if S is in inches
X₇ = maximum wind gust in (km/hr) in 30 years
We have provided all the climate variables (X₁ to X₇ and the variables that make these up) and the hardiness index (Y) on our interactive mapper. Index values of 40 to 44 corresponds to zone 4a and index values of 45 to 49 corresponds to zone 4b, 50 to 54 is zone 5a and so on.

(from here: http://planthardiness.gc.ca/?m=15&lang=en )

note that there's way more to it than just temperature, and this formula doesn't even account for latitude-related hours of sunlight which gets more important as you get farther north, or for topsoil quality (and lol just lol if any of joe oliver's brilliant planning involves growing on thawed permafrost)

one huge problem with climate change agriculture planning is that climate change tends to mean more precipitation overall, but also more unpredictable precipitation. so you might get slightly more rain than usual, but it won't rain for four months and then you'll get a torrential downpour that drops four months of rain in twelve hours. that's not great for growing crops. or instead of getting a few days of steady light rain, you get a giant thunderstorm for fifteen minutes every evening that dumps the same amount on you, but most of that runs off into sewers and waterways instead of soaking the earth

you can get around some of these problems through technology like fertilizer and irrigation and pumping tons of water onto your fields, but that only gets you so far before you run into the problem of where you're getting that water from, aquifers running dry and so on like is happening in California, topsoil depletion from fertilizer runoff, plus of course all that technology is carbon-intensive so we have to be weaning off it if we don't want to make things even worse, etc etc etc ad infinitum

yes the prairies are sparsely populated and have good land, but a lot of good land is already being made unproductive due to climate-change-related weather pattern shifts like the ongoing droughts in Manitoba

there is no guarantee that climate change will make any new land available for farming, but we already have a mountain of evidence that it makes farming more difficult in places where we currently farm, because farming relies very heavily on predictable, non-extreme weather and one of the main effects of climate change is that weather becomes more extreme and more unpredictable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm the © assigned to Her Majesty The Queen

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
also all that poo poo i just posted doesn't even include biodiversity loss and things like all the pollinating insects going extinct so lmao just lmao gg humanity better luck nextime

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

Remember the Northwest Territories and Rupert's Land

I swear to loving god.

I told lower Canada to buy it from the Hudson's Bay Company and they actually did it, the absolute Mad Men.

canada is a truly ridiculous nation

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The prairies have the rocky mountains as the great regulator though. There will be decade long droughts, but long term, they provide far more stabilization than the Urals. The big issue is our society's inability to think past the next election cycle.

You only have to look at the Red Deer river valley and Bow river valley to see a millennia long cycle.

We're seeing spiders and snakes creep up into southern Alberta, so as long as we don't completely irradiate the bees with glyphosate, they should adapt.

so yeah, RIP humans.

i'm the © assigned to Her Majesty The Queen

This is something i've often wondered about. In Alberta everything is "The court of Queen's bench" and "the queen's printer"

Are we gonna bother changing all that, as the next monarch clearly won't be a queen, or just tell those inbred cunts to gently caress right off?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

canada is a truly ridiculous nation

Get this, the whole place was completely empty, entirely uninhabited. Nothing but deer and indians, not a single soul out there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what would we do without the radiant countenance of His Majesty King Charles shining down upon our dominion?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

Get this, the whole place was completely empty, entirely uninhabited. Nothing but deer and indians, not a single soul out there.

thank the good lord for those capitalists and settlers willing to tame this savage land and by rights, develop it

i love the idea of a bunch of french and englishmen showing up and after mucking around for a few decades, deciding that they'd sell each other most of a continent

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Sep 2, 2019

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Powershift posted:

This is something i've often wondered about. In Alberta everything is "The court of Queen's bench" and "the queen's printer"

Are we gonna bother changing all that, as the next monarch clearly won't be a queen, or just tell those inbred cunts to gently caress right off?

with any luck someone will see the budget for changing all the signs and realize, hey, it costs the same to update them to say nothing whatsoever about monarchy

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cheaper to re-assign William to Princess.

Long live Willamina.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/KyleGunderson/status/1168214704910680066

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Suplex Liberace posted:

people's understanding of agriculture is limited to have dirt on ground = good plants that make food, and if no soil, then use technology to grow food in stacks or in caves without thinking about how you would do that when energy, water, and soil are at a premium

The only benefit of climate change is a longer growing season, but that doesn't mean much if that growing season is unpredictable -- as in south western ontario this year, we had such a long, cold spring that many farmers didn't get anything planted, and if they did there's no guarantee there's going to be enough growing time which is a huge risk to the farmer --and for the reasons vyelkin listed above. I can speak to soil quality: the majority of it is in Quebec and Ontario, right where most of our suburban development is.

If you want to see something truly astonishing look at the United States. That country has 10% of all the arable land in the world, and it's being erased at an astonishing rate.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Sep 2, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

holy loving poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRD3vrSLPaw

I didn't even know they were canadian.

Would have been better if they kept the harmonies throughout.

Powershift has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Sep 2, 2019

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

pokeyman posted:

with any luck someone will see the budget for changing all the signs and realize, hey, it costs the same to update them to say nothing whatsoever about monarchy

I hope that we (along with prob some other commonwealth nations) have a bit of a ripple effect of demonarchization when Lizzy 2 finally kicks the bucket. Does Canada really want some old british white dude on their coins?

Like Lizzy has been around since WWII, she takes a bit of a different connotation for most Canadians: Nostalgia. She was around for the adoption of the Maple Leaf and the patriation of our constitution. Her portrait being at the head of ferries and on pennies has become more of "what else would you put there?" than a "GOD SAVE THE QUEEN" sort of thing. I don't think any of that will carry over to Prince William.

If tories are in power when it happens, they'll probably just put different old british white dudes on the coins like John A MacDonald. If grits are in, probably more artists and civil rights people most Canadians haven't heard of. Has anyone seen a Viola Desmond $10 bill? Do they actually exist? :iiam:

VVV I guess me not actually using much cash other than loonies would explain that. :downs:

Jehde has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Sep 2, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ve seen a lot of the Desmond 10s and actually have one in my wallet rn. They’re pretty neat!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

I’ve seen a lot of the Desmond 10s and actually have one in my wallet rn. They’re pretty neat!

Yeah, they're dope as gently caress

get rid of the genocidal white dudes and slave owning brits

give me a Louis Riel $5s and Douglas Cardinal $20s

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
gently caress yeah Louis Riel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Chevalier De Lorimier also owned.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Anyone know how long it will take to switch to all vertical bills, feels weird to have that mix of horizontal and vertical bills at the same time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chillyrabbit posted:

Anyone know how long it will take to switch to all vertical bills, feels weird to have that mix of horizontal and vertical bills at the same time.

Wait, does anybody even really notice beyond bill color?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, until now I had mixed up the C-SPAM and D&D Canada threads

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xtal posted:

the gravest insult

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

How dare you sir! How dare you.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

xtal posted:

Me, after accidentally wandering into the D&D thread

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The lack of respect, Thats what hurts the most... Except for the other thing...

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1168579736278380547

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1168581010340089858

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Maxime Bernier taking a radical stance against a child. Amazing, he's got my vote!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
loving idiots thinking hes the greatest political mind in our generation.

So rarely do you see the whole our opponent is so weak but yet so strong combined so clearly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

boy howdy max, way to punch down

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apatheticman posted:

loving idiots thinking hes the greatest political mind in our generation.

So rarely do you see the whole our opponent is so weak but yet so strong combined so clearly.

do you think he keeps a stickied and annotated fascism 101 on hand at all times?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
what a piece of poo poo.

man I hope he loses his riding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Once the writ is dropped, Mad Max is going to release his platform on national TV while simultaneously euthanizing puppies.

Naw, just kidding. I bet the kind of shitbrain pro-oil voter the PPC is targeting eats that up with a spoon.