Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

An age of mythology total war might actually give Warhammer a run for it's money for me. TW3K is nice on the campaign map but after the shine wore off and I returned to WH2 I was enjoying myself much more.

Cyclops, Hekagigantes, Medusa etc. let's go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

An age of mythology total war might actually give Warhammer a run for it's money for me. TW3K is nice on the campaign map but after the shine wore off and I returned to WH2 I was enjoying myself much more.

Cyclops, Hekagigantes, Medusa etc. let's go!

Omfg yes please. poo poo like Greek heroes and mythos vs Egyptian (pre Ptolemy greekness) heroes and mythos vs ancient Celtic heroes and mythos, etc etc would be so fun.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Omfg yes please. poo poo like Greek heroes and mythos vs Egyptian (pre Ptolemy greekness) heroes and mythos vs ancient Celtic heroes and mythos, etc etc would be so fun.

Oh man, imagine the meltdowns over having someone else's cultural mythological heroes be stronger than theirs

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh man, imagine the meltdowns over having someone else's cultural mythological heroes be stronger than theirs

*Game not available in china*

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I picked up Liu Zhang in my Dong Zhou game. He ended up leading the army that captured and executed Liu Bei for his sweet swords.

liu zhang's heir/prime minister bonus is completely ridiculous

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
I really like the 8 princes scenario but god drat is it hard to keep track of all the various generals when the game is about 1000 dudes names Sima (yes I know that's actually the family name). Hell, in my current campaign there are two separate factions ruled by two different Sima Wei. My family tree is so massive that it actually glitches out if I try to view certain family members so I don't even know how many children my heir has. Sima Liang fucks.

Inside you there are two princes. One is Sima Wei, the other is Sima Wei. You are a third, different Sima Wei.

buddhist nudist fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 25, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

*Game not available in china*

China would be the absurdest government but we all know that the Very Angry White Dudes would be crying the loudest about how Odin's units aren't badass enough. Or they'd fixate on Sparta.

also yes please pump Age of Mythology: Total War into my veins with the troy saga

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

China would be the absurdest government but we all know that the Very Angry White Dudes would be crying the loudest about how Odin's units aren't badass enough. Or they'd fixate on Sparta.

True. Would be fun to see the rage if the one-eyed geezer’s army got a buff to attack damage but decreased accuracy/chance to hit. Similarly if Sparta got a unique stance that improves morale but decreases movement speed because of pre-battle gay sex.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Choosing a greek hero's myothologically accurate choice for a dillema results in a buff, followed by certain death after 10 turns

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

"Anansi ambushed my Thor army again???!!! Wtf is this poo poo CA"
-from the basements of white households around the world

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kali stepping on thor as he does the soyface

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Azran posted:

I kinda want them to make Liu Zhang and Han Sui playable.

Liu Zhang's dad, Liu Yan, is still alive at scenario start and seemed a lot more capable a ruler than Zhang turned out to be based on what I've read. He apparently expected that the Han was going to collapse, and so during the years before Dong Zhuo burned Luoyang, he re-organized Yi Province to be self-sufficient and centralized most of its political structure under him. The trouble started when Liu Yang died and Liu Zhang didn't have the same political aggressiveness or strategic vision to survive for long after.

Some enterprising modder could just make Liu Yan just use Sima Liang's assets/character class and give his faction Sima Jiong's "Control" mechanic. If they wanted to go further, they could give them the Yi Archer units from Liu Bei and give Liu Bei something else (maybe giving generals the ability to use units from previous factions they were in? IDK)

For Han Sui, I've got no ideas on how to make him similarly as detailed as the current playable faction roster.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Spiderfist Island posted:

Liu Zhang's dad, Liu Yan, is still alive at scenario start and seemed a lot more capable a ruler than Zhang turned out to be based on what I've read. He apparently expected that the Han was going to collapse, and so during the years before Dong Zhuo burned Luoyang, he re-organized Yi Province to be self-sufficient and centralized most of its political structure under him. The trouble started when Liu Yang died and Liu Zhang didn't have the same political aggressiveness or strategic vision to survive for long after.

Some enterprising modder could just make Liu Yan just use Sima Liang's assets/character class and give his faction Sima Jiong's "Control" mechanic. If they wanted to go further, they could give them the Yi Archer units from Liu Bei and give Liu Bei something else (maybe giving generals the ability to use units from previous factions they were in? IDK)

For Han Sui, I've got no ideas on how to make him similarly as detailed as the current playable faction roster.

Liu Zhang, Han Sui, and Tao Qian seem to me like last-minute dudes who are definitely going to be FLC factions. They didn't give them unique art and traits and starts for no reason, and Tao Qian in particular gets mentioned in Big Dong's intro, while no one else does

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, I'm honestly shocked Liu Yan isn't playable out-of-the-box, as he's one of the more powerful warlords at the start. Also, he was an imperial relative and possibly considering proclaiming himself Emperor(many considered Emperor Xian to be illegitimate initially: historically, Yuan Shao may have offered to enthrone another imperial relative, Liu Yu, as Emperor, but he refused). Regardless, he was clearly ambitious, whereas his son Liu Zhang was evidently anything but.

Han Sui is another good one who got completely bastardized by the novel. He was a Qiangish warlord and lifelong rebel. He was Ma Teng's sworn brother and the two cooperated for a while, but Han Sui was always independent. Eventually they had a falling out and Ma Teng left to take a post in the capital, leaving Ma Chao and Ma Dai to look after the family's affairs in Liang. Of course, Han Sui convinced them to rebel with him and Ma Teng and his younger sons Xiu and Tie were executed for being in league with rebels. Ma Chao got his rear end handed to him at Tong Gate and fled south to take shelter with Zhang Lu. He and Ma Dai then left to help Liu Zhang fend off Liu Bei(they ended up siding with the latter), leaving a sick Pang De behind, where he still was when Zhang Lu surrendered to Cao Cao. Han Sui continued on in Liang, and may have reached out to Liu Bei shortly before his death.

Speaking of Zhang Lu, he would be pretty interesting. He was the leader of a mystical Taoist sect and controlled Han Zhong(from 191 on, but there's no harm in fudging it by a year).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_the_Five_Pecks_of_Rice
That's what wikipedia has to say about the sect. Seems likely one power he could have would be the ability to conduct diplomacy with Yellow Turbans normally.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I finally got like three different character illustrations to play nice together and it is glorious

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
So as someone who's shamefully ignorant of pre-modern Chinese history in general and the three kingdoms in particular, what DLC options are likely picks to expand the base game scenario? The Korean Peninsula is already in the game map with a 3d model, so that's a given.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Fuligin posted:

I finally got like three different character illustrations to play nice together and it is glorious

Which 3 mods are you mushing together?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Azran posted:

I kinda want them to make Liu Zhang and Han Sui playable.
There's a Faction Unlocker mod that does this, along with Tao Qian, and someone won a Han Sui campaign through successive vassalizations to Dong Zhuo, Yuan Shao and his son, and finally Shu-Han before enough conquest/infrastructure made him a contender.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I want there to be a draft mode for multiplayer.

"So, I took Sun Jian in the leaders round, and I was shocked that Zhuge Liang fell to me in the third round, but my opponent got Lu Bu as his top pick, so it was an uphill climb..."

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has anyone modded this enough that they know which tables are used for garrisons? 'Cause it's way to other TW games.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
What exactly about garrisons are you looking up?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Chortles posted:

What exactly about garrisons are you looking up?

Everything. I'm trying to build new garrison compositions using new custom units. This used to be in 3 tables but now I don't know what the gently caress. I looks like a mess of reference pointing to refereces and I can't find the original table to start building from.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Absolutely huge update announced for Warhammer II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKhFaijBBI

Empire rework, new mechanic for imperial confederation; a button named 'summon elector counts'; new legendary lord Markus Wulfhart fighting lizardmen in Lustria, and he can recruit Vermintide type cross-race heroes to help out; war wagons; new start position for Balthasar Gelt.
Lizardmen get Nakai the Wanderer as a horde subfaction, razordons, sacred kroxigors, dread saurians, new Gor-Rok subfaction as freeLC.

And it releases in less than 2 weeks. Insanely hype right now.

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1167076114323398656
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-the-hunter-the-beast-faq/

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Boing posted:

Absolutely huge update announced for Warhammer II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKhFaijBBI

Empire rework, new mechanic for imperial confederation; a button named 'summon elector counts'; new legendary lord Markus Wulfhart fighting lizardmen in Lustria, and he can recruit Vermintide type cross-race heroes to help out; war wagons; new start position for Balthasar Gelt.
Lizardmen get Nakai the Wanderer as a horde subfaction, razordons, sacred kroxigors, dread saurians, new Gor-Rok subfaction as freeLC.

And it releases in less than 2 weeks. Insanely hype right now.

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1167076114323398656
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-the-hunter-the-beast-faq/

All the changes sound really fun

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Yes please, inject all the new Empire goodies into my veins.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

drat that sounds good.

Looking forward to playing it in 4 months when luckys gets updated for it

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

drat that sounds good.

Looking forward to playing it in 4 months when luckys gets updated for it

same but when some sort of vital bug introduced by the dlc gets fixed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like mods too but the vanilla game is actually really good, try it sometime

I mean drat you CA you useless hacks

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i like the vanilla game but i cants stands the normal skill trees anymore, if they can even be called such a thing!!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Huh, I'm in the endgame and apparently He Yi just inherited Gong Du's territory in the NW? I can finally live my fantasy of trading with him.

Edit: Also gently caress Liu Bei, he keeps inheriting my vassals away from me. I guess I shouldn't vassalize any Liu's.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 31, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

Huh, I'm in the endgame and apparently He Yi just inherited Gong Du's territory in the NW? I can finally live my fantasy of trading with him.

Edit: Also gently caress Liu Bei, he keeps inheriting my vassals away from me. I guess I shouldn't vassalize any Liu's.

He can't inherit stuff if he is dead.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The biggest pro to playing Liu Bei is not having to deal with Liu Bei.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I have a goodly bit of territory as Cao Cao.

But I only have like 3 characters plus retinues in play for a wide swath of territory and I feel pretty exposed and spread thin. The AI would probably punish me for this if I wasn't playing on normal.

Is this how you're supposed to play? It's year 201. I could afford at least one more guy but that's about it.

Edit: It seems I can swap guys out with their armies for a bit of gold. Should I just have guys chilling in the bullpen until I need them and then mobilize in response to a threat or opportunity?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 2, 2019

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

A Perfect Twist posted:

All the changes sound really fun

kind of wild that they are still giving me reasons to revisit this poo poo like 2 years after release. hurry up and announce the next one though.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can have administrators with full retinues at no upkeep while they're garrisoned, which can give you a quick way to cheaply mobilize large amounts of troops in the event of an invasion. They'll also gain experience as administrators. But yeah, during times of peace and economic growth, you probably will feel stretched thin. When war comes, you probably will find that you can afford more generals, particularly if you are winning battles and collecting loot.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Starting my second campaign, as Gongswan Zan. Anybody have tips on reforms or buildings? First campaign I basically picked reforms that sounded good at random, I'm wondering if there's any deeper strategy.

(Guessing not too deep since the game is called Total War.)

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

PerniciousKnid posted:

Starting my second campaign, as Gongswan Zan. Anybody have tips on reforms or buildings? First campaign I basically picked reforms that sounded good at random, I'm wondering if there's any deeper strategy.

(Guessing not too deep since the game is called Total War.)

You don't have normal administrators as Daddy G Zan so if you want normal administrators you need to tech up to eunuchs. But you a horse man, so reforming the cheap horses and the cheap infantry worked for me.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Not related to research but always keep in mind his unique horse archers (both versions) have incredible charge damage. They are not just for ranged fire, they are not melee weaklings.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Captain Beans posted:

Not related to research but always keep in mind his unique horse archers (both versions) have incredible charge damage. They are not just for ranged fire, they are not melee weaklings.

Yeah, in the first couple fights they seem good at shooting and charging but I keep screwing up the micro and getting them killed even when I only had like four units to start.

"Practice makes perfect!" I write in my letters to their families. I'm also doing Records this time which seems a little less forgiving.

Paramemetic posted:

You don't have normal administrators as Daddy G Zan so if you want normal administrators you need to tech up to eunuchs.
Is there a reason I'd want normal administrators? Inspectors seem better.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Looks like the next dlc got added to the steam db.

Also, in today's episode of "TWC thread titles I definitely won't be clicking on" https://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?7-Vestigia-Vetustatis

"No, Unternehmen Zitadelle was not a German mistake, and no, it definitely wasn't Hitler's fault."

I'm sure OP uses german nomenclature and needs to defend Hitler for perfectly legitimate reasons