Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
If they don't, mods should fix those sorts of QoL gaps fairly quickly.

The blocks should cost concrete for the smaller ones too. I wouldn't mind if the game attempted some sort of structural integrity check (like Empyerion) but I can live with super wacky easy mode too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I'd be glad to see something that works like the conveyor pole but larger for building monorail track on.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think the 8x8x1's also cost 6 concrete? I don't care about enforcing gravity. I build supports and walls and pave the world in layers because I like it aesthetically and I don't care if other people play "wrong" by minecraft easymode rules.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

M_Gargantua posted:

I think the 8x8x1's also cost 6 concrete? I don't care about enforcing gravity. I build supports and walls and pave the world in layers because I like it aesthetically and I don't care if other people play "wrong" by minecraft easymode rules.

All platforms have the same cost, which is a little silly, but I also build "structural supports" via walls and walled staircases. To support elevation structures I have out in the world, I also use the 6x6x6 blocks. Its super cheap to build a tower of them.

Another thing I like to do, that bends the rules a bit, is ceiling mount my mergers and splitters by building a tower of them and only keeping the topmost layers. My standard floor is 3 wall tiles high, and using this technique you can save a lot of floor spaghetti.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
At what point in the game do you no longer have to worry about manually providing power to your machines?

Don’t get me wrong, cutting stuff down with the chainsaw is fun and all, but it’s not exactly why I got into this game. And speaking of stuff the chainsaw cuts down, does that stuff grow back once you harvest it, or is it gone forever?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 3, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

At what point in the game do you no longer have to worry about manually providing power to your machines?

Don’t get me wrong, cutting stuff down with the chainsaw is fun and all, but it’s not exactly why I got into this game. And speaking of stuff the chainsaw cuts down, does that stuff grow back once you harvest it, or is it gone forever?

Tier 3, I think? You get coal, which can be mined, belted, and fed into generators fully automatically.

Plants will regrow if they're not near any base buildings at some point while off-screen.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

GreatGreen posted:

Teir 3, accessible after you build the space elevator, has Coal Power. Those generators have a conveyor feed.

Typically I will haul materials for 9 generators, foundations, poles, conveyors, and mines out to a coal deposit, dedicate one of the nodes to power, and name its beacon Battersea Station. My current embark has had that expand twice, to 27 generators, and really could use a dedicated petro-power outpost.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I recently did a restart to try a different map, and it probably took me 2.5 hours to reach coal, if that. Your early factory is so useless later in the game, that its not worth planning out anything more than a level plain of decent size to get you to coal power.

Also, don't be afraid to use the "phone on spacebar" crafting technique. There will be plenty of time to build out ridiculous contraptions later, and without fast belts it's just not worth it.

Also, that said, I automated every aspect of my second game and had no regrets. Manual crafting in a game like this does feel like "cheating".

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I recently did a restart to try a different map, and it probably took me 2.5 hours to reach coal, if that. Your early factory is so useless later in the game, that its not worth planning out anything more than a level plain of decent size to get you to coal power.

The choice you get at the start is not for a different map, it's just the the starting location. There is only 1 map (It's pretty huge though).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was playing yesterday and realised that chasing the tiers and goals just made it feel like a chore. I took the tractor and went coal hunting then built a coal power plant (9 units like someone said). Just generally dicking around doing what felt like needed doing next and the game finally felt like a relaxing game. I found some slugs, a cave full of mushrooms, built more iron mines with smelters and extracted a hard drive. Bam, 4 hours gone but it was fun at last. A quick check of the storage sheds showed enough things made to finish a handful of upgrades then go wander again while the factory does it's thing.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Ratzap posted:

I was playing yesterday and realised that chasing the tiers and goals just made it feel like a chore. I took the tractor and went coal hunting then built a coal power plant (9 units like someone said). Just generally dicking around doing what felt like needed doing next and the game finally felt like a relaxing game. I found some slugs, a cave full of mushrooms, built more iron mines with smelters and extracted a hard drive. Bam, 4 hours gone but it was fun at last. A quick check of the storage sheds showed enough things made to finish a handful of upgrades then go wander again while the factory does it's thing.

IMO this is the best way to play this game, I really think it is designed around a rhythm of alternating building and exploring. Trying to plan a massive future-proof factory from the start is not a good time.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I had to break myself away from this game because it was consuming all my game time. I'm a sucker for this zen-garden-tinkering-around style game. Hell yes I will spend 45 minutes trying to sort out the inefficiency in a single production line of my big rear end factory floor.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got to steel now and it seems like a very big step up. Replacement machines that are vastly better, much more complex recipes and more resources. I got a second coal patch hooked up via truck stops and a tractor looping for now but creating a new factory secion 'out that way' to make the steel would be more efficient. But first you need a bit of steel (haha, 300 ish?) to bootstrap and get set up.

Then I spent hours looking for quartz to make an explorer - this is when I realised how big the map is. I ended up finding it, having to dash through those poison clouds to mine a couple of hundred and leave. It was too far for conveyors and trucks too much hassle.

I was thinking that getting a temporary steel component line going should be next and do the 'upgrade everything' step. Solo play shows up that this was built for co-op, it's slow going.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Freaksaus posted:

The choice you get at the start is not for a different map, it's just the the starting location. There is only 1 map (It's pretty huge though).

I'm astounded that I missed this. I've started over 3 times!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Isn’t jungle the best location because of the abundance of pure deposits and flora for fuel?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah I think I prefer the jungle start as well. There isn't really a lack of open space as the flavor text claims, just cut down/bomb the vegetation once you get past biofuel and there's plenty of plateaus and valleys to build in. Some of the mid-tier resources can be a bit annoying to get to but it isn't that bad. The plains start probably has the worst access to oil, immediately ruling it out for me.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Desert has a lot of pure nodes, too. And the flora, while not abundant, is good enough until you get to coal. Grasslands, surprisingly, seems to be one of the trickier ones in the long-term.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I think once december and big update #3 hits I'll start over in the desert somewhere. I still have a lot of work I can do in my first game (having just unlocked oil power plants) but I can feel myself nearing the end of the content and I want to delay that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You could start over, or you could just travel over to the desert on the same save and start from scratch there. That way, all the hard drive research you've done sticks around, and you can run back to your original base if you need some quick supplies. That's what I did.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Isn’t jungle the best location because of the abundance of pure deposits and flora for fuel?
Depends. If you go to the west of the jungle there's an open area with a ton of every kind of pure deposit, including coal, on top of a cliff you can build off of, with oil basically at the base of the cliff.

If you start in the middle of the woods, like me, there's a nice clearing with rich nodes that you will probably totally fill up by the time you're working on computers. At that point you'll look at the cliffs and dense woods surrounding your factory and realize there's a lot of work you'll have to do to expand.

I personally have no regrets- it's a very fun kind of work- but "easy" is relative. There are indeed more resources, but it is much more of a pain in the rear end to expand your factory floor in that hilly tree-covered terrain. There are nice natural paths to various oil and coal deposits, so it's not impossible, but the plains and desert have the huge advantage of being able to just continuously build out, which is an especially great benefit early on when you don't know what you're doing or what you'll need.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I opened up tier 5 & 6 but it's kind of daunting, I don't really know where to start. So I went 'gently caress it' and skipped off to start a new game in the desert to see how it is there. Once that gets tedious I'll need to sit down and try to get my head round how to tackle the next tiers.

Get trains built and redo the whole thing with proper resource delivery seems one way. There are no faster smelters right but miners and belts upgrade. So pulling all the raws to one big smelter block seems logical.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It looks like faster manufacturers and smelters might be in the works eventually. It's currently unreleased, but the level of tech it requires suggests either Tier 7 or 8:

https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/Smelter_Mk.2

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Have there ever been any solid rumors about what SAM ore, Mercer spheres or somersloops are going to be used for?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mercer spheres and somersloops are probably related to the story arch in some way, I doubt they'll have any significant effect on your factory construction.

SAM ore might be used for the quantum computers hinted by a few drop pods requiring them?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mercer spheres and Somersloops are interesting to predict. They're tricky enough to get that finding one should always be a reward but you shouldn't have to find them all. Possibly they could be used like the slugs are to make upgrades to your factory (power shards are basically Factorio's speed modules, so you might have equivalents to efficiency or production modules. Efficiency modules would be pretty underwhelming though). Or possibly they could become incremental global upgrades.

The presentation around them implies they'll be something that is a bad idea to pick up plot-wise but you want to do it for gameplay reasons.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I think it would be interesting to have the mercer spheres be part of equipment that is limited in number by the number of spheres you have. Since they seem to warp space around them, maybe some sort of quantum tunneling thing. So crazy teleport tech that would be game breaking if you had unlimited amounts of it maybe.

Satisfactory has served as a gateway drug to factorio to me, but ultimately I think the minor amount of direction that satisfactory has combined with a more 'exiciting' tech tree makes me like satisfactory to me.

Factorio's little mini-tutorial campaign felt great to me as I had goals to work towards and just the amount of driving force I needed to build my factory more. Once in the sandbox I felt very directionless, and rather than expand my factory for the sake of expanding it and driving up the tech tree I felt pretty happy with my small but working factory.

Like, Satisfactory's framing around the progression, and the brief amount of dialogue around each tech made me want to unlock more. Going from a single input assembler to a multi input assembler feels like a big jump, feels good.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I've recently gotten into playing both Factorio and Satisfactory a fair bit; they're wonderful chill out games, after all.

What I'm curious about is if there is a primary strategy for base building. In Factorio, for example, the most common efficient practice is the large central bus design. Satisfactory has slower production cycles and a more modest scope of production (so it seems?!) so I'm curious if there's a prevailing base design strategy similar to that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Synastren posted:

I've recently gotten into playing both Factorio and Satisfactory a fair bit; they're wonderful chill out games, after all.

What I'm curious about is if there is a primary strategy for base building. In Factorio, for example, the most common efficient practice is the large central bus design. Satisfactory has slower production cycles and a more modest scope of production (so it seems?!) so I'm curious if there's a prevailing base design strategy similar to that.

I found creating a central bus to be very useful for maintaining my factory at the higher tiers. What I did (once I was a high enough level to afford all this) was start a base with a central hub of 40 storage containers in a square around it. Each product produced goes into a storage container, and then out again when it's needed for some other production. This is very useful for several reasons:

- When you need a dozen Foobars for a new project, the nearest source is never far away.
- It allows you to increase production later without having to worry as much about the exact production requirements. If you need 10 computers per minute, and your factory is only producing 8 computers per minute, you can have a reserve for a 1000 computers, several hours worth, that will satisfy while you either crank up computer production or (more likely), the new product fills up it's storage container and computer requirements per minute fall off.

For most things, the finished product is the easiest thing to circulate, but for things like wire and gold wire that you will eventually need at higher amounts than the maximum belt speed, it probably would be easier to circulate the copper and gold bars in the bus and convert them to wire on-site. (This part I haven't tried yet, but I'm going to tear down some old factory stuff later and try it. It sounds like the next big update is going to include a mass-disassembler)

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 19, 2019

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've been building a wall of storage containers for most major intermediate products. Everything feeds out or into wall, except a few things like screws that are build where they are needed. If one becomes a choke point, I build a new container and build input output chain for it.

Lots of splitters and mergers dotted around the place so I can expand any region as required.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well for factorio one of the best things you can do is put some concrete flooring down, by doing that you can align things and attach conveyors way easier than just by placing things on the ground.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Unlike Factorio, virtually everything that gets made needs to be made in bulk per item so in my opinion "trees" work better than busses. Very few resources are needed in more than one spot so you just build the next step on that spot.

In Factorio you end up with 80 processor factories because they are slow and you need a shitload, in Satisfactory you can only really make maybe 2 supercomputer manufacturers since each one requires 4 steps and each of those take 3 and each of those take 2. I'm phoneposting so I don't have the calculators and numbers in front of me, but it's something like 4.5 ish assemblers per processor assembler, and something like 25 per supercomputer manufacturer.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Here's my vision for my next bus setup:

- Ring of 36ish storage containers, each of which receives ones product.
- Above these containers on scaffolding, a continuous circle of belts, each one serving a different frequently-used part.
- The storage container feeds into the belt-ring.
- When you want to build a new thing, just drop splitters for the 2-4 items needed for it on the belt-ring, and pipe them all right out to a new building containing your assemblers, outside the ring.
- All belts are at least two vehicle-heights above the ground, so that you can drive around between your buildings.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

- All belts are at least two vehicle-heights above the ground, so that you can drive around between your buildings.

It's me, I'm the idiot who didn't do this with my bus and has to fly over every time

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Does the tractor do damage to enemies when it impacts them? I'm not going to stop compulsively running over every single one of the rear end in a top hat animals on this planet, and ripping down their trees, but so far it looks like everything just ragdolls and then gets straight back up.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Bug Squash posted:

Does the tractor do damage to enemies when it impacts them? I'm not going to stop compulsively running over every single one of the rear end in a top hat animals on this planet, and ripping down their trees, but so far it looks like everything just ragdolls and then gets straight back up.

There's no vehicle damage in the game yet.

On the bright side, vehicles themselves can't be damaged, so you have that going for you.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I loaded up my factory from a few versions ago to check out the changes and really like the new stuff. The elevators make a majority of my tangled web of conveyor belts completely unnecessary. I think the alternate blueprints is a neat way to get around some bottlenecks later on but it's tough to re-work an existing factory to fit the changes that have been made since. I think at this point it's probably best for me to just start a new factory, but I might just wait until this thing actually launches before trying it again.

Is there a way to start an elevator at a raised belt without having to build a platform up to support it? I was having issues moving a belt down to a lower level since the elevator has to start at the input point, unless there's a way to reverse the direction?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

explosivo posted:

I loaded up my factory from a few versions ago to check out the changes and really like the new stuff. The elevators make a majority of my tangled web of conveyor belts completely unnecessary. I think the alternate blueprints is a neat way to get around some bottlenecks later on but it's tough to re-work an existing factory to fit the changes that have been made since. I think at this point it's probably best for me to just start a new factory, but I might just wait until this thing actually launches before trying it again.

Is there a way to start an elevator at a raised belt without having to build a platform up to support it? I was having issues moving a belt down to a lower level since the elevator has to start at the input point, unless there's a way to reverse the direction?

If the starting end already has its direction set, the rest of the elevator will comply with it.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Is there a practical use case for trains, or would I always be better off just using a truck?

The cost of rails compared to just having a truck chugging along by itself seems to rule out trains ever being economical.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Trains are more reliable, they are never constrained by world geometry and collision detection. Trucks can break in all kinds of funny ways when you're near enough for one to be fully simulated.

Also, it's trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

nielsm posted:

Also, it's trains.

This is very much selling me on trains, yes.

Hmm, this line might cost me an hour of my steel manufacturing. On the other hand: train.