Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
It'll be easy to putty the screw holes and paint the windowsills anyway.

You stay safe Harik, alright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

drat. You are basically living my childhood dream. Specifically A&M too.

This rules and makes me very happy.

Dubar posted:

Just look at the reports of devastation in the Bahamas and then realize that they are likely not even halfway through this

Not only is it only halfway over, but there are entire areas/islands in the bahamas that have gone completely off the grid as their internet/phone/etc service has been severed/destroyed. That means the devastation we're seeing is the light stuff

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spaced God posted:

This rules and makes me very happy.

Not only is it only halfway over, but there are entire areas/islands in the bahamas that have gone completely off the grid as their internet/phone/etc service has been severed/destroyed. That means the devastation we're seeing is the light stuff
The stuff I've already seen is incredibly bad. Anything worse than that and there won't be people alive to record the videos.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

FlamingLiberal posted:

The stuff I've already seen is incredibly bad. Anything worse than that and there won't be people alive to record the videos.

For real. Like, we love to laugh at, and live vicariously through, the dudes live-streaming as they plow through ditches and collapsing gas stations, but the fact that we’re not seeing anything in real time is chilling.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Survivorship bias is a helluva thing

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Harik posted:

I'm debating how much work I should do. I'm technically outside the hurricane watch and have new (2011) construction. I've cleaned up yard debris and I've only got two really vulnerable windows depending on which way the wind blows.

Is there a prediction of wind direction hour-by-hour for a given location? Let's say I live next to the house of the mouse, which is accurate enough for something this size. I'm just trying to figure out which sides are going to get hit the worst. Not too worried about the north/south ones against my neighbors on either side since we're close enough to spit out one window and hit the other, not enough room for anything to make a direct impact. That leaves my east-facing side which has three tiny windows above the garage and two big (72x60) windows that need doing.

I've already got plywood and appropriate temporary mounting bolts, don't have the right sliding latches yet but I'll get those next time around. Deciding if I really want to be climbing to my second story window with a big heavy piece of plywood or just risk leaving it and not let people in that one room during the worst of the storm.

I mean I'd say prepare as much as you can. You've got a lot of things going in your favor, being inland and all. The posts about putting them on the inside are good advice, if you don't feel like climbing up a ladder to secure the outside. At the very least it'll stop the glass from going everywhere and help keep the wind from getting up under your roof. I'm a good ways East of you but let us know if you need something and I'm sure we can try and find someone to help you out.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/FrancesRobles/status/1168632546663555072?s=19

https://twitter.com/iLashKing/status/1168636679118344192?s=19

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 2, 2019

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
My sister, brother in law, and 8 month old nephew live in West Palm Beach. My bro in law said they are stocked up, but if the storm surge is bad it won’t matter. He is doing his best to keep my sister calm. This really sucks. They do live inland and aren’t in any flood areas at least.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hazo posted:

For real. Like, we love to laugh at, and live vicariously through, the dudes live-streaming as they plow through ditches and collapsing gas stations, but the fact that we’re not seeing anything in real time is chilling.

We never see anything in realtime for long after landfall unless it's a wet fart rain-event, even in the US. The internet always goes out shortly after the power. We only know about the car warsh because that happened at the very beginning of the storm. Nobody remembers that jeff fell off the map a few minutes later and spent the rest of the night struggling to tweet that he was ok from a nearby walmart

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Current conditions here in the Space Coast.

https://youtu.be/gmJF1KdFvN4

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hazo posted:

Forget real time, I can't find video of anything that's more recent than 4+ hours ago from Grand Bahamas island.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1168629803873951746?s=19

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1168629954193629184?s=19

https://twitter.com/PhilFerro7/status/1168627511917449217?s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So long, farewell
Bahamas say goodbye
If you should stay
I'm certain you will die

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
And this is different from Harvey, which weakened to a tropical storm when it hit land and just dumped water on Houston for days. Grand Bahama is getting a sustained category 4.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Is there any precedence for a storm this big just stopping and hovering over a populated area for 2-3 days straight? This poo poo seems crazy.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Nathan's a pretty alright stormchaser, he's in Melbourne right now with a livestream
https://www.twitch.tv/nathansvlive

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Is there any precedence for a storm this big just stopping and hovering over a populated area for 2-3 days straight? This poo poo seems crazy.

Harvey did this, but Harvey was not a cat 5+ when it parked itself over houston

e. Seek it out yourself if you want (NMS), but Bahama Press is reporting they're using flatbeds to load up the deceased in Abaco. It's not good.

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 2, 2019

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

No predictions about damage from a storm of this magnitude included the prediction that it would just STOP moving completely and hammer Freeport with eyewall indefinitely. This is a bit unprecedented.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah the fact it's just stalling out is really hosed. Like here have this 3-7 hour event for a loving day!!!?

Does anyone have any good reading about hurricane Dynamics. I'm a hurricane thread (year) aficionado and like watching the streams at my desk or while working from home. I'd just like to learn poo poo like eyewall replacement and what it means etc.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Resting Lich Face posted:

As someone who lives in Houston I can confirm that a stationary hurricane is pretty awful.

I can third that. Watching people get rescued from their houses by helicopter 2 blocks away was pretty surreal.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

tater_salad posted:

Yeah the fact it's just stalling out is really hosed. Like here have this 3-7 hour event for a loving day!!!?

Does anyone have any good reading about hurricane Dynamics. I'm a hurricane thread (year) aficionado and like watching the streams at my desk or while working from home. I'd just like to learn poo poo like eyewall replacement and what it means etc.

Severe and Hazardous Weather by Rauber, Walsh, and Charlevoix is a good introductory text into the dynamics and mechanisms involved in most severe weather phenomena without getting bogged down too deep in the math of it all.

Houze Jr. et al. had a 2007 paper in Science describing the mechanisms of the EWRC as well.

I'm about to head out for dinner but I'll definitely ask around next time I'm back in my building

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

poverty goat posted:

We never see anything in realtime for long after landfall unless it's a wet fart rain-event, even in the US. The internet always goes out shortly after the power. We only know about the car warsh because that happened at the very beginning of the storm. Nobody remembers that jeff fell off the map a few minutes later and spent the rest of the night struggling to tweet that he was ok from a nearby walmart

So a hurricane is basically the War of the Worlds aliens. "Once the tripods start to move, no more news comes out of that area."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This loving storm is an rear end in a top hat of a nail biter

Like one degree turn means the difference for me between a very blustery day or gtfo

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Outrail posted:

Don't you have a country to run?

:drat:

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Trying to decide if we can ride it out here in Savannah 😬 I don’t want to be those dickheads but ugh.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve got a dozen Home Depot buckets full of gasoline and a bathtub full of water and cat hair and I’ve been drinking my piss for three days I think I’m ready for the hurricane. What are the chances it makes it to Nevada?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It might, better fill your truck bed with a gas/piss mixture

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

bird with big dick posted:

I’ve got a dozen Home Depot buckets full of gasoline and a bathtub full of water and cat hair and I’ve been drinking my piss for three days I think I’m ready for the hurricane. What are the chances it makes it to Nevada?

Latest track has it two hours away

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You never know when it could sneak up on you.
Board and weather strip up your windows until they're air tight so it can't smell if you're still around, and unless you're using a GREAT deal on Nord VPN stay OFF the internet or it may track your IP right to your house.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Severe and Hazardous Weather by Rauber, Walsh, and Charlevoix is a good introductory text into the dynamics and mechanisms involved in most severe weather phenomena without getting bogged down too deep in the math of it all.

Houze Jr. et al. had a 2007 paper in Science describing the mechanisms of the EWRC as well.

I'm about to head out for dinner but I'll definitely ask around next time I'm back in my building

Yeah like I don't want super weather nerd book but like general ideas of increasing pressure or eye replacements, why models are so wonky / difference between us and I'm calculations etc..

Even if someone's got a webpage..

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Spaced God posted:

i did chaotic dynamical systems for money for a while but i never did the weather poo poo, closest i ever got was futzing w/ kolmogorov power law ansatz for turbulence

what books for math treatments of the weather poo poo?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gas lasts a lot longer in styrofoam coolers, you've already hosed up.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

guys please stop trying to make goons cook up homemade napalm

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Resting Lich Face posted:

It'll be easy to putty the screw holes and paint the windowsills anyway.

You stay safe Harik, alright?

love the av.

You'll know if something happened to me because the news will be filled with human interest stories of the star wars fans who got flattened by a cat5 that decided to crash the opening of disney's newest attractions.

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean I'd say prepare as much as you can. You've got a lot of things going in your favor, being inland and all. The posts about putting them on the inside are good advice, if you don't feel like climbing up a ladder to secure the outside. At the very least it'll stop the glass from going everywhere and help keep the wind from getting up under your roof. I'm a good ways East of you but let us know if you need something and I'm sure we can try and find someone to help you out.

I appreciate it but I'm good. I've got plenty of plywood already and a good set of power tools, I'm just being lazy because it's still stalled and if it collapses or heads to maine I'll wait until next storm to really bust my rear end.

Harik fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 3, 2019

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the worst part of all this is the numerous dead and all the destruction in the bahamas.

the 2nd worst part is that I had all weekend clear to play wow classic, but instead I evacuated like a drat chump.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Cops around here instituted a 10pm curfew and also when alcohol sales end, good thing I stockpiled :toot:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Excelzior posted:

guys please stop trying to make goons cook up homemade napalm

Lmao

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Spaced God posted:

I'm an undergrad meteorology major at A&M and I can also confirm scientifically and from my flooded car that stationary hurricanes are also bad

Texas A&M?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wowee, finally got word from relatives on Great Guana Cay via satellite phone that they are still there and ok.

Not out of it yet but to make it through everything so far is incredible.

Now the relatives that got that word in Cape Canaveral need to get through the rest ok and we will be all good.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 3, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Gildiss posted:

Wowee, finally got word from relatives on Great Guana Cay via satellite phone that they are still there and ok.

Not out of it yet but to make it through everything so far is incredible.

Now the relatives that got that word in Cape Canaveral need to get through the rest ok and we will be all good.

Looks like that's about 90 miles straight East of Freeport so they should be through the worst of it. Did they comment on the level of destruction in their immediate area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bad Purchase posted:

the worst part of all this is the numerous dead and all the destruction in the bahamas.

the 2nd worst part is that I had all weekend clear to play wow classic, but instead I evacuated like a drat chump.

Lol I have so much work to do this weekend (and also WoW classic) and I've been putting it off and checking the forecast every 20 minutes and now my power is gonna go out so I cant do it, it whips