Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Just beat Black Eagles Edelgard route. Final map kicked my rear end so bad the first time I got frustrated and thought it was a bit much, but beat it second time and feel it's appropriately desperate for a final level. Gotta say, it was amazing to finally check the special weapon art for Edelgard's axe and realise she basically has a weapon designed to kill Rhea. Had just enough uses left to surround her with other units and whittle her down before Edelgard finished her off. Pretty cool!

Also, a small moment in the game that really struck me was Dimitri's death in that route. He has two - one where he an Edelgard yell at each other and the one I got where he and Dedue comfort each other. It was a surprisingly effective moment - I haven't played BL route yet but Dedue assuring Dimitri that "the last nine years have been a joy" was really effective.

edelgard is a loving master at deflecting the responsibility for the war, though. She says to Dimitri at one point "if only you and I had lived during a period of peace" as if she didn't start the war in the first place. I did GD first and it was also hella cool to see Rhea go apeshit without the Prof to keep her humanity in check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's mildly annoying how I lost Marianne's paralogue because the combat forecast said she'd take 31 damage, then she took 39 instead. Nice mathing there game. It's not even a hard boss to kill, it just lies about its activation range too :shrug:

So much for not going with permadeath but I guess since that's an instant game over, oh well. I guess it's good to know for harder difficulties that the forecasts are lying (or even worse just not taking anything into account) and enemies will do things beyond what the markers say.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 3, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

inthesto posted:

I'm trying to do a teachers/adults-only run, and doing the first few maps with only Byleth is surprisingly difficult.

In retrospect, I should have made Byleth specialize in fists so they could have the healing combat art.

IDK who to marry on this run. I feel like Catherine and Shamir should be together, and it's far funnier to leave Manuela single.

Manuela's solo Blue Lions ending (I actually dont remember if its the same in BE) is actually really sweet
she opens her own school and, though she never marries, she cherishes her students like children.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m really enjoying how the Blue Lions have a much closer connection to the part 1 missions

Kinda makes me wish each house had their own regional conflicts to hit the same broad points but I get why that would have been difficult to implement

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Should I keep Byleth as an Enlightened One or should I make him a Mortal Savant? It kinda sucks though because his Reason skill level is low...

Enlightened One is better than Mortal Savant in every way that matters unless you specifically want him to use Reason magic (which isn't really worth it, his spell list is nothing special).

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I’m really enjoying how the Blue Lions have a much closer connection to the part 1 missions

Kinda makes me wish each house had their own regional conflicts to hit the same broad points but I get why that would have been difficult to implement

Yeah, the Insurrection of the Seven seemed like it should of been that for the Black Eagles. Ferdinand, Caspar, Bernadetta, Lindhart and Hubert's parents overthrew Edelgard's father, and only Hubert really seems to care or have noticed

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do I make Bernadetta good?

I feel like every archer who isn't Claude or Shamir has turned out really underwhelming for me in both of my runs so far (and Shamir was just barely good in my GD run), but Bernadetta is cool and good and I'd like to keep using her. Even Leonie turned out kinda ehh on my GD run after spending all of part 1 and the first third of part 2 as an invincible enemy-destroyer. She just stopped gaining Strength entirely and fell off a cliff into uselessness.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 3, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

rannum posted:

Manuela's solo Blue Lions ending (I actually dont remember if its the same in BE) is actually really sweet
she opens her own school and, though she never marries, she cherishes her students like children.

*pulls up golden deer endgame footage* can confirm it's the same on golden deer

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manuela's paired ending with Dorothea is also pretty good

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Bernadetta has mediocre growths and is only really saved by her unique passive; best bet is to stick her in Brigand for deathblow and get lucky and get strength, although she does have a weakness in axes so it might take awhile to get there. If you had bad results with Leonie who has massively better growths than Bernie you better sacrifice some goats to the rng gods.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Take your archer, stick them in fighter/brigand, and cross your fingers that it fixes their stats.

At least Bernie and Ashe have good innates to make up for it. Ignatz's innate is so loving bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leonie has over 30 str in my game, she's ridiculous

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My Leonie, who I've been using as a 13th man, is falling behind my leecher ferdie who's been hanging on as an adjucant. Now he's casually a wyvern rider with 30 str and speed with deathblow.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Death Blow for everyone, it's only the right thing to do. same thing with Fiendish Blow

unless they're already too powerful on their own, like Dimitri and Dedue who each have 18 strength at level 11

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
In which route can I marry Jeritza

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just wish it didn't take so long to master classes. I feel like two-thirds of my party is just the Brigand Brigade for like half of part 1.

Like I wish it was like "gain 5 levels in the class" or something rather than "fight a ton of battles in the class"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In my next run I’m going to make everyone Bishops and every battle we’ll pray and sing hymns and praise the goddess.

Naturally this’ll be on the “gently caress THE CHURCH” route.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just kidding I’m going to S+ rank Fists on everyone and whoever doesn’t reach that by the final battle will be killed off.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

getting to S+ really takes forever and is getting the -faires really worth it?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Carlosologist posted:

getting to S+ really takes forever and is getting the -faires really worth it?

they're nice if you can get them but don't count on getting all that many unless you're on NG+ and pouring in massive amounts of favoritism and laser-focus toward particular characters

like for my first run, without NG+ it was literally just lysithea with S+ reason

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 3, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I actually got more S+ ranks on my first playthrough (on GD) than I did on my NG+ run. Byleth and Felix both got S+ Swords and Lysithea got S+ Reason.

I probably could've gotten S+ ranks on my NG+ run but I figured I'd get more mileage out of leveling Authority after getting people their master class requirements. I did get S Reason for Dorothea and Annette for the extra black magic range though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's the main reason I haven't gotten any S+ faires, because I realized soon that leveling a B authority is just plain better than a longer, dedicated grind towards just 5 extra damage.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

yeah, battalion bonuses in the long run are just flat-out better than most class abilities

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

inthesto posted:

Take your archer, stick them in fighter/brigand, and cross your fingers that it fixes their stats.

At least Bernie and Ashe have good innates to make up for it. Ignatz's innate is so loving bad.
Bernie's passive + death blow makes her an absolute monster, IMO. She only has around about 20 strength at level 30, but she can still delete everything short of a fortress knight from half the map away thanks to Deadeye. (and sometimes, even the fortress knights aren't immune)

Zore posted:

We don't even get anything interesting. Where's poo poo like Shadowgift (lets you use magic outside a magic class) or loving anything even remotely fun.
I really hope for the next game they take a very similar approach to structure but add in more interesting abilities/make the prowess skills innate.

I also hope they add a punchdragon and/or punchmagician class, just because that would be loving sweet as hell

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I remember when Fates gave archers the ability to tack on +4 damage per attack and that helped even weaker characters like Setsuna.

Now just make it +6, and also give it to the best weapon class in the game which leads into the best class in Wyvern line.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tae posted:

That's the main reason I haven't gotten any S+ faires, because I realized soon that leveling a B authority is just plain better than a longer, dedicated grind towards just 5 extra damage.

It doesn't help that most of the classes you want to end up at have Faire skills built into them already.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Neo_Crimson posted:

It doesn't help that most of the classes you want to end up at have Faire skills built into them already.

They do stack

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Despite all the work and stat boosters I fed into Ferdinand, Great Knight really does just suck. I’m not sure what he’s supposed to do that I couldn’t get out of a flying class just dodge tanking everything.

Wasn’t there an ability in Fire Emblem where you can guard adjacent units? That could make the class pretty cool, since babysitting the casters is a pain.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 3, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

I’m not sure what he’s supposed to do that I couldn’t get out of a flying class

Threehouses.txt

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kiranamos posted:

Despite all the work and stat boosters I fed into Ferdinand, Great Knight really does just suck. I’m not sure what he’s supposed to do that I couldn’t get out of a flying class just dodge tanking everything.

Wasn’t there an ability in Fire Emblem where you can guard adjacent units? That could make the class pretty cool, since babysitting the casters is a pain.

I think that's less of an issue with Great Knight and more that Ferdinand himself kind of blows

even my Caspar, who refused to gain more than 2 stas(usually hp and dex) per level for like 20 levels, turned himself around near the end

Ferdinand otoh remained deadweight for most of the game

Harrow posted:

Threehouses.txt

getting loving mulched by wyverns because i was expecting them to be FE6 cannon fodder was certainly an experience

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 3, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Yinlock posted:

I think that's less of an issue with Great Knight and more that Ferdinand himself kind of blows
imo, FERDINAND VON AEGIR is quite great, actually

he absolutely should not go to his preferred class of "horse rider," though. put him on a dragon, put him in a dancer skirt, put him in a swordmaster dress, just don't let him ride a horse.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

imo, FERDINAND VON AEGIR is quite great, actually

he absolutely should not go to his preferred class of "horse rider," though. put him on a dragon, put him in a dancer skirt, put him in a swordmaster dress, just don't let him ride a horse.

oh yeah FERDINAND VON AEGIR kicks rear end, he's just not very good at fighting

e: just finished the BE:E route, that was abrupt, and I like the triumphant music over the undercurrent of "YOU ARE loving UP ROYALLY" that the entire route has.

guess next run it's time to follow the words of Mr. T and Stay In School, which unfortunately means another round of these morons refusing to gain speed ever

e:

Carlosologist posted:

if you bring relevant BL people along as guests when you're playing another house they'll speak up during the mission

it's kind of a hosed-up thing to do given what usually happens in said missions but hey that's the price of Content

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 3, 2019

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I didn't actually notice that a lot of the early conflicts were related to Blue Lions specifically per se in my first (BL) run; I just kinda took it for granted and now that I'm playing GD, it sticks out how I'm missing dialogues and stuff by not using the BL kids. Maybe to make up for that, Claude is delving more into lore questions about the nature of Crests and Crest weapons in his mission dialogues, which I don't think Dimitri did.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yinlock posted:

oh yeah FERDINAND VON AEGIR kicks rear end, he's just not very good at fighting

e: just finished the BE:E route, that was abrupt, and I like the triumphant music over the undercurrent of "YOU ARE loving UP ROYALLY" that the entire route has.

guess next run it's time to follow the words of Mr. T and Stay In School, which unfortunately means another round of these morons refusing to gain speed ever

The BE:E route is interesting to me, because despite how rushed it is, I personally feel it's almost meant to be the canon/final run of the game, given how Byleth ends up and the fact that Edge of Dawn plays over the credits of every other route but not this one. I really want to hear a dev commentary on how things shook out in production.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My huge-numbered Ferdinand must be an outlier then.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ferdinand has 45% STR Growth, 50% SPD Growth. That's the same as Hilda.

He's not bad.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Also, why did I apparently miss my chance to do the Caspar/Petra A rank after BE-C Ch 17? I went back and their dialogue has nothing to do with it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ferdinand also has one of the best personal abilities in the game and is flat out the best dodge tank. Innate 50% speed growth and a flat 15% chance to dodge added at full health means you can pretty trivially make him untouchable if you combine it with Sword Prowess, any battalion that ups Avoid and potentially even Dancer for Sword Avo +20.

Thats a 75% chance to avoid attacks before you even add terrain or his stat modifiers.

Ferdinand is insane.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

Also, why did I apparently miss my chance to do the Caspar/Petra A rank after BE-C Ch 17? I went back and their dialogue has nothing to do with it.

Are you viewing them in the battle prep menu? Because all supports must be viewed at the monastery menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

Ferdinand also has one of the best personal abilities in the game and is flat out the best dodge tank. Innate 50% speed growth and a flat 15% chance to dodge added at full health means you can pretty trivially make him untouchable if you combine it with Sword Prowess, any battalion that ups Avoid and potentially even Dancer for Sword Avo +20.

Thats a 75% chance to avoid attacks before you even add terrain or his stat modifiers.

Ferdinand is insane.

Also he gets Swift Strikes at A lances, which turns any lance into a brave lance in the player phase. It's a great insurance if he happens to get screwed on speed growths and lets you double those really fast swordmasters and the like.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 3, 2019