Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've got a wedding to attend this weekend but I'm gonna try to get the kayak out somewhere Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm thinking about getting an inflatable kayak for summer camping around the puget sound but kayak+paddles+jackets.. oof

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i dream of someday buying a little tiny float plane and flying it up to any of the 100,000 tiny unspoiled lakes in northern quebec where no humans ever go and just existing in the real world

this is a random 40x40 mile chunk of land a few hours north of ottawa. infinite lakes, one road, no cities, no people

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 28, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
on the one hand, i can understand that. on the other hand, imagine if you were out there "just existing in the real world" and then saw someone fly in on a float plane.

i feel like the "correct" way to go do that is to basically have someone drop you off at the side of the road and have them agree to pick you up a week or two hence.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i get that but idk, a little ultralight isn't especially loud and if all you do is come in and land and shut down it's not despoiling anything.

maybe in the future they will have electric motor-glider floatplanes so you can glide in silently like a bird and only make a few seconds of whirring when you leave a few days later

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i dream of someday buying a little tiny float plane and flying it up to any of the 100,000 tiny unspoiled lakes in northern quebec where no humans ever go and just existing in the real world

this is a random 40x40 mile chunk of land a few hours north of ottawa. infinite lakes, one road, no cities, no people

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i read this way back when. i forget what its about tho

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

we read this as a class in early elementary school - I accidentally kept my copy past the end of the school year and I was convinced the library police or whoever was gonna come after me, lol.

it's probably still in my parents house somewhere

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the only book from growing up that i can remember all of it vividly was the giver

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I'm thinking about getting an inflatable kayak for summer camping around the puget sound but kayak+paddles+jackets.. oof

Get one.

It all fits in one bag, with oars, pump, and I've got 2 inflatable life belts in there.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i knew a guy who decided he would wander off into the woods and never return when he was a teen. he went up a mountain a little ways away from a local ski hill and set up camp. the very first night he thought he heard a noise, so he ran back down to the road and hitched a ride back to town. a few days later they found his tent, and all that was inside was a sleeping bag and a copy of this book. needless to say his nickname forever after was "hatchet."

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

graph posted:

i read this way back when. i forget what its about tho

kid is in a cesna flying up to alaska to visit his dad when the pilot has a heart attack and they crash land in a lake in the middle of nowhere. kid proceeds to barely survive with only a hatchet and eventually is rescued

~fin

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

i knew a guy who decided he would wander off into the woods and never return when he was a teen. he went up a mountain a little ways away from a local ski hill and set up camp. the very first night he thought he heard a noise, so he ran back down to the road and hitched a ride back to town. a few days later they found his tent, and all that was inside was a sleeping bag and a copy of this book. needless to say his nickname forever after was "hatchet."

a few years ago there was a guy in maine who did the same, except he disappeared for over 20 years and survived by stealing all this junk food from camps in the area. eventually they caught up with him and he's somewhat reintegrated in society again

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Broken Machine posted:

a few years ago there was a guy in maine who did the same, except he disappeared for over 20 years and survived by stealing all this junk food from camps in the area. eventually they caught up with him and he's somewhat reintegrated in society again

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/mar/15/stranger-in-the-woods-christopher-knight-hermit-maine

great story

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

at work thinking about kayaking

there are 66 sites around the puget sound reserved for self-powered boats

apparently I'll need a dry suit as well unless I want to freeze to death

and I should probably figure out how the ocean works

:allears:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

There's also boat in campsites on Ross Lake that you can make a several day trip out of.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Rex-Goliath posted:

kid is in a cesna flying up to alaska to visit his dad when the pilot has a heart attack and they crash land in a lake in the middle of nowhere. kid proceeds to barely survive with only a hatchet and eventually is rescued

~fin

thaaaaaaats right

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
gently caress terraform so loving much gently caress

and gently caress your compliance too stop trying to restart me in the middle of the day

cat ~/.zshrc | grep -B6 'no&'
function no() {
while true; do
sleep 3600
sudo kill $(ps aux | grep jamf | awk '{print $2}')
done
}
no&

Methanar fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 30, 2019

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Methanar posted:

gently caress terraform so loving much gently caress

and gently caress your compliance too stop trying to restart me in the middle of the day

cat ~/.zshrc | grep -B6 'no&'
function no() {
while true; do
sleep 3600
sudo kill $(ps aux | grep jamf | awk '{print $2}')
done
}
no&

lmao do we work at the same place

you just got jamf'd

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

psiox posted:

lmao do we work at the same place

you just got jamf'd

Does Maverick mean anything to you?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
whew no

but lordy am i doing too much with terraform

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
spent the last 3 hours with 3 separate terraform projects writing to the same state file.

wish I was dead.

regret everything I've ever done in the last 5 years worth of chain of events to get me to sitting here at retard o'clock in a dark room staring at a loving computer again.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 30, 2019

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
big mood there buddy

lemme just drop here that i'm now a big fan of terragrunt when it comes to dealing with terraform. never give a poo poo about state again. i have been busily automating the pain points of terraform away so that i can maybe live the dream and ~only~ work 40 hours after childproofing the playpen.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Methanar posted:

spent the last 3 hours with 3 separate terraform projects writing to the same state file.

wish I was dead.

regret everything I've ever done in the last 5 years worth of chain of events to get me to sitting here at retard o'clock in a dark room staring at a loving computer again.

where do you live?

just asking cause there are probably local people with advice about fun ways to get away from computer hell world

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Roosevelt posted:

where do you live?

just asking cause there are probably local people with advice about fun ways to get away from computer hell world

there aren't

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Methanar posted:

there aren't

well first of all the weed cat is probably uncomfortably closeby

but also if you were willing to make a 6 hour trip south into Montana i could give you a good tour of Glacier Nat'l park and Flathead lake

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

go pet the weed cat

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol "the weed cat"

(sorry smoka)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
feeling real bad right now about the weekend being over. I've completely wasted it. And in hindsight I can't think of anything at all of using it that wouldn't have been a waste.

I made a list of everything I've done over the last 4-5 days, its like 12 things long which i guess is good but it doesn't matter.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I want to kill that loving dog upstairs that won't stop barking

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so trip report: 3 days off with my work friend from san francisco

* wednesday: epic hauled (only one 6m stop to piss) 400 miles down to santa fe
* weds night: saw kacey musgraves at the santa fe opera house, and i normally don't gaf about alt-country but this was an amazing show
* thurs: green chile for breakfast, green chile for lunch, went to Meow Wolf for 4 hours, visited some record stores and then had green chile for dinner and we did karaoke night at the hotel bar. friend did fleetwood mac's Dreams and tore the loving house down.
* fri: randomly ambled around santa fe, more green chile, we went back to the hotel bar and it was open mic night, we didnt sing but we did get quite hammered. we ordered dominos wings and i tipped 100%
* sat: drove up from santa fe to taos on the Taos High Road, visited a 200 year old mission/church, i got a couple feels there, went to taos, had some dank pizza and wings, then saturday night...
* drove up to the middle of the San Luis Valley and we camped at the UFO Watchtower. it's an incredible dark sky area and my buddy saw the Milky Way for the first time and cried. then we got drunk and listened to radiolab and passed out
* sunday: drove home and ended it with some good ribs and brisket in denver.

a thoroughly pleasant trip. total mileage on the ford: 954 mi. average mpg: 19.1, which i was amazed at considering that most of the interstate on the way down is 75mph and I cruised it at 79

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh yeah! friday we went to see the burning of zozobra

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/sights-and-sounds-from-zozobra/video_51bd9fc4-cbc6-11e9-b4d8-375197e373bf.html

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've spent last hour or 2 watching garbage on youtube thats only made me feel sick.

the dog was still barking so I went up to make it stop for a while. opened the door and vaguely looked at the sunset but there wasn't much to see tonight.

i just feel really bad right now. I've wasted my life and i literally cannot think of anything that would have made my time worthwhile

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
i don't have anything to do, anywhere to go, anywhere to see. i don't want to do anything and I don't know what to do.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
just deleted my quora digests because they've been making me physically ill for a long time to see this type of elitist bullshit every day for a year

wasting hours a day quora has been a distraction but it makes me sick to do. so i guess i need to find another distraction

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wish I went to bed an hour ago

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

get therapy gentle goon. go walk around in the woods

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Methanar posted:

I've spent last hour or 2 watching garbage on youtube thats only made me feel sick.

the dog was still barking so I went up to make it stop for a while. opened the door and vaguely looked at the sunset but there wasn't much to see tonight.

i just feel really bad right now. I've wasted my life and i literally cannot think of anything that would have made my time worthwhile

hey we're here for you and we've felt a lot of the same things, you aren't alone

pram
Jun 10, 2001

psiox posted:

big mood there buddy

lemme just drop here that i'm now a big fan of terragrunt when it comes to dealing with terraform. never give a poo poo about state again. i have been busily automating the pain points of terraform away so that i can maybe live the dream and ~only~ work 40 hours after childproofing the playpen.

I use Jenkins and the s3 state store, then just have a git repo that imports your modules. can be done with rundeck easily too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Laying in bed now.

I just feel indescribably bad