Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

twoday posted:

not only that, these mounds were made of their waste - they were all made of leftover shells from shellfish they had eaten. Our society also creates landfill heaps, and if there had been some in the Bahamas it could have provided a place for people to escape to, instead of drowning in their homes. That ancient society had an awareness of the dangers posed by the environment in which they lived, as well as the waste they produced, and figured out a way to organize and control these various destructive factors in such a way that it would serve the collective good over the long term. But our society considered these people to be savages and exterminated them, and now, instead of learning anything from their system, we have the one we have now, which ignores both our place in the world and the damage we do to it.

imagine the smell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh I thought you were talking about florida

why, did florida just have a cat 5 eye wall take a poo poo on it for an entire day and a half or something

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Real hurthling! posted:

imagine the smell

imagine spending hours in torment only to end up drowning in your attic, surrounded by your family, as your house is ripped from its foundations & swept out to sea

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Addamere posted:

why, did florida just have a cat 5 eye wall take a poo poo on it for an entire day and a half or something

There's always tomorrow, keep channeling your energies.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

There's always tomorrow, keep channeling your energies.

I channeled all my energies I could for the day alright, right around dawn, and then I passed the gently caress out until 9pm. I'm out of spell slots for the day. I cannot resume until next dawn.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Don't give Addamere too much hope.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heartcatch posted:

Don't give Addamere too much hope.

It is safe to give me hope and to quote my posts, at least until next dawn, as I am psychically incapable of corrupting those energies for dark purposes until then. :sg:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

twoday posted:

imagine spending hours in torment only to end up drowning in your attic, surrounded by your family, as your house is ripped from its foundations & swept out to sea

a life where i live between 2 dump truck loads of old shellfish until smallpox gets me

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That shellfish died for your sins.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

twoday posted:

kind of a bummer. pass

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

twoday posted:

dont threaten me with a good time

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

The ocean is mad at us

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lmao

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Taco Duck posted:

The ocean is mad at us

https://youtu.be/abqDZdkK6uk

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
The main town on Abaco had a district called The Mudd, which on the news is being called a 'Haitian shanty-town', where several hundred people live. It looked like this:

It's gone now:
https://twitter.com/TacoChar/status/1168691816666996738

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Hey, if Washington could ascend into godhood, why can't TRUMP? :thunk:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

twoday posted:

We have top men working on it right now.

Top... men.

if trump can just eat the projection behind him with a voodoo hex, the hurricane will be gone

twoday
May 4, 2005

ahahaha

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lmao

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

twoday
May 4, 2005

ahahahaha

jesus christ, I assumed reference number 11 was just a fabrication and then I clicked the link, lmao

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

i had a couple of former coworkers from telengana, lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

welp looks like miamis safe this time around

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

welp looks like miamis safe this time around

good

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/johnwetter/status/1168724458728775680
Minnesota got tornados

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:hai:

lots of culture and dance scene, very good

waiting the one day a massiv hypercane levels it so i can smugly dub it "bye-ami" for emptyquotes, upvotes, and internet point glory

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

weather nerd question: why doesn't california get hit by hurricanes?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

even has citations. beautiful

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

redleader posted:

The wind blows the wrong way and water is way colder than the Atlantic

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fuckin' storm is just sitting there doing donuts on Grand Bahama's front lawn.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

christ alive it's literally just 1mph

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

redleader posted:

because the earth isn't spinning in the opposite direction.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

christ alive it's literally just 1mph

And it's BEEN 1mph

all

loving

day

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Spergin Morlock posted:

because the earth isn't spinning in the opposite direction.

in the southern hemisphere hurricanes can move any direction they want, and are also called chazzwazzers

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

love how hurricanes are just parking over top of places now and it's just cool as hell

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TeenageArchipelago posted:

love how hurricanes are just parking over top of places now and it's just cool as hell

this happened last year over Houston right? It just parked and kept getting powered up by the boiling gulf for days

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Heartcatch posted:

That shellfish died for your sins.

unshellfish to the end

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Someone pour some ice cubes in the Atlantic!!!!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The fact that its just sitting there is just loving awful. I cant even comprehend a storm that goes on this long with that intensity in one spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

twoday posted:

not only that, these mounds were made of their waste - they were all made of leftover shells from shellfish they had eaten. Our society also creates landfill heaps, and if there had been some in the Bahamas it could have provided a place for people to escape to, instead of drowning in their homes. That ancient society had an awareness of the dangers posed by the environment in which they lived, as well as the waste they produced, and figured out a way to organize and control these various destructive factors in such a way that it would serve the collective good over the long term. But our society considered these people to be savages and exterminated them, and now, instead of learning anything from their system, we have the one we have now, which ignores both our place in the world and the damage we do to it.

lol imagine spending all your time building a giant hill to keep society from dying only to get genocided by some yokel from Genoa