Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Which one is White?

Okay. Next question, which one is Whiter richer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I like when people say "A defenseless child" like it would have been any better if he'd given the kid a sword first so he could fight back.

The kid might've been Hercules.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I suppose I wasn't being fair, I was too focused on "would I pay for this" than "would dumb rich people pay for this". Like they could just go the normal plastic surgery route and get almost as good results, but it wouldn't be the first time people dramatically overpaid just to get "the best".

To be fair, the cost of raising a child is, what, half a million dollars? Less if you raise em in bulk. Charge a few million (probably tens of) and hey, profits.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I'm just getting into The Boys, and there's one thing early on that irrationally bugged me. Huey, Butcher, and Frenchie are trying to figure out how to kill Translucent, who has demonstrably indestructible skin, and their bright idea is to stick a bomb up his butt, because his insides are normal. So inevitably, the bomb goes off, but his skin gets blown apart just fine. They even show shards of his skin being cleaned up. It would've have been a lot cooler/funnier if everything just blew out his rear end and his body remained intact.

Other than that, it's pretty okay "superhero story but it's grim now", if a little on-the-nose. And Simon Pegg's accent is hosed and weird and I don't like it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oh dope posted:

I'm just getting into The Boys, and there's one thing early on that irrationally bugged me. Huey, Butcher, and Frenchie are trying to figure out how to kill Translucent, who has demonstrably indestructible skin, and their bright idea is to stick a bomb up his butt, because his insides are normal. So inevitably, the bomb goes off, but his skin gets blown apart just fine. They even show shards of his skin being cleaned up. It would've have been a lot cooler/funnier if everything just blew out his rear end and his body remained intact.

Other than that, it's pretty okay "superhero story but it's grim now", if a little on-the-nose. And Simon Pegg's accent is hosed and weird and I don't like it.

Simon Peggs accent is so weird, the only reason I can think that he's in the show is because Hughie in the comic looks like him.

Also I read a few issues of the comic. It's bad. Just so over the top edgy that it's irritating.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Pegg sounds weird to me because I've never heard him bother with an American accent. So hearing him talk like that just makes no sense to my brain.

As far as the other iimm about the kaboom, even kripke agreed but said the rule in the writer's room is "don't let logic get in the way of fun" (or something to that effect).

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Simon Pegg's accent on The Big Nothing is way better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've brought it up before but bad accents just gently caress me up entirely and take straight out of a movie, especially if they're from an established actor. Dracula, Rounders and Scarface come to mind immediately. loving Jon Voight in Anaconda. Jesus Christ.

I'm also always bothered by actors who we know aren't southern playing characters with strong southern accents. What, there are no legit southern actors who could play those roles? Was Jon Turturro so desperately needed in Secret Window? Tom Hanks in The Green Mile was terrible. Julia Roberts in Charlie Wilson's War. Nic Cage in Con Air. Travolta in Urban Cowboy. Just get a good southern accented actor, especially if it's that vital to the role.

Along similar lines, I hate when directors resort to make up and prosthetics to make a notably attractive person appear "ugly". Nothing against the performers but my reasoning is that it's hard enough for non good looking actors to land leading roles in the first place. Did we really need to ugly up Charlize Theron in "Monster"? She did great but that's not the point I'm making. More along the lines of needing to stick Halle Berry in a fat suit to play Gabourey Sidibe's role in "Precious" or something. Or making MIla Kunis look overweight and plain looking to play something Kathy Bates or, say, Kathy McDermott could do.

They don't usually do this with male actors, Eddie Murphy in The Nutty Professor notwithstanding. They just find a weird looking dude like Paul Giamatti, Steve Buscemi, Willam Defoe or someone. Or an ugly fat guy. Almost every female actress has to be "hot" to be cast in the first place unless the character's "ugliness" is central to the role. I even think it'd have been cool to cast an actual plain looking overweight actress for Gwenyth Paltrow's role in Shallow Hal but I guess in her case and in Murphy's, part of the sell was seeing big names transformed like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's only relatively recently that it's become common to actually cast nonwhite people in nonwhite roles rather than brown/yellowface. Hollywood has a very, very low opinion of its audience, among many other things.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's only relatively recently that it's become common to actually cast nonwhite people in nonwhite roles rather than brown/yellowface. Hollywood has a very, very low opinion of its audience, among many other things.

Are you saying that John Wayne as Genghis Khan ISNT the greatest casting choice ever made in the history of cinema?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nutsngum posted:

Are you saying that John Wayne as Genghis Khan ISNT the greatest casting choice ever made in the history of cinema?

On an unrelated note the guy who played Kerim Bey in From Russia with Love was also in The Conquerer. That film was likely the cause of the cancer which drove him to suicide during production of the Bond movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nutsngum posted:

You're beautiful in your wrath.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Should've gotten Charles Bronson as Khan.

Better actor than Wayne and actually of Lipka Tatar ancestry so he probably was actually a descendant of Temujin himself.

Though I'm not sure he was big enough of a name at the time to get a starring role in a big budget film.

E:
On the other hand that would've given Bronson cancer and robbed of us of Death Wish 3

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 12:29 on Sep 2, 2019

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nutsngum posted:

I think you'll find the Steven Seagal version will prove superior.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, John Wayne playing John Wayne playing Genghis Khan is pretty goddamned amazing.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inspector Gesicht posted:

On an unrelated note the guy who played Kerim Bey in From Russia with Love was also in The Conquerer.

He was terminally ill during the production, and there’s a second during the gypsy camp fight where he bumps into a car a little too hard and you can clearly see how much pain he was in.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
In terms of an actual great movie with absurd brown face, hard to top Charlton Heston as a Mexican federale in Touch of Evil.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

oh dope posted:

Great, thanks for thinking of that, now it's bothering me. He can stay invisible while unconscious, but maybe the deletion of biological functions means the invisibility shuts off?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In "American Hangman", the voting counts don't always add up to 100%. It will be 64%/46% one scene, then cut to another where it's right, then it will be wrong again.

also why would the news be broadcasting a live trial+execution held in a murderers basement and basically encouraging people to participate in the voting? And since this is headline news, how are there only 3 million viewers?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Leavemywife posted:

Great, thanks for thinking of that, now it's bothering me. He can stay invisible while unconscious, but maybe the deletion of biological functions means the invisibility shuts off?

obviously his skin is only invulnerable from the outside :downs:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

obviously his skin is only invulnerable from the outside :downs:

Lots of :goonsay: words building on this because I've got nothing better to do

His skin clearly has some give to it because he's capable of doing things like moving. If his skin had no give he wouldn't be able to do pretty much anything. Maybe it can deflect bullets and fire and poo poo from the outside but everything has a point where it pops and an explosion inside is probably what it takes to make him pop like a balloon.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

On an unrelated note the guy who played Kerim Bey in From Russia with Love was also in The Conquerer. That film was likely the cause of the cancer which drove him to suicide during production of the Bond movie.

I thought this was just a joke about how bad the movie was, not the truth about filming downwind from nuclear test sites.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here is a really petty and stupid nit-picky fault I found with the logic in Gremlins 2.

When the new Gremlins are introduced on the cooking show, there is a callback joke where two of them look at a microwave and get angry at it, (coz at one point in the original the main guy's mum throws a Gremlin in the microwave.)

Now it could be argued that these Gremlins know about the hated microwave because of genetic memory, or some bullshit like that. But they are not descended from the gremlin that died in the microwave. It had no progeny. These new ones are descended from Gizmo only, and therefore should have no memory or knowledge of the microwave incident. So how did they know to get angry at the microwave and exact revenge on it, (by blowing it up).

I am fully aware of how tiny a problem this is. And how much of a nitpicky pedant I am to bring it up. Also I understand that trying to make logical sense of Mogwai/Gremlin biology is futile. But isn't this the sort of thing this thread is for?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

BrigadierSensible posted:

But isn't this the sort of thing this thread is for?

hell yeah

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here is a really petty and stupid nit-picky fault I found with the logic in Gremlins 2.

When the new Gremlins are introduced on the cooking show, there is a callback joke where two of them look at a microwave and get angry at it, (coz at one point in the original the main guy's mum throws a Gremlin in the microwave.)

Now it could be argued that these Gremlins know about the hated microwave because of genetic memory, or some bullshit like that. But they are not descended from the gremlin that died in the microwave. It had no progeny. These new ones are descended from Gizmo only, and therefore should have no memory or knowledge of the microwave incident. So how did they know to get angry at the microwave and exact revenge on it, (by blowing it up).

I am fully aware of how tiny a problem this is. And how much of a nitpicky pedant I am to bring it up. Also I understand that trying to make logical sense of Mogwai/Gremlin biology is futile. But isn't this the sort of thing this thread is for?

Gremlins consume media at an astounding rate and that influences how they dress, act, and behave. So the answer is they watched the original Gremlins movie.

That's how meta Gremlins 2 is.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dunno if I have mentioned it before, but was rewatching the RoboCop remake and it still bugs me when Gary oldman turns him off while he's sprinting away, there's like no actual hurry to go get him, even though he's face down in a rice paddy and can probably drown fairly easily. Everyone is just like "*SIGH* I'll go get the drama queen. BRB."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gremlins consume media at an astounding rate and that influences how they dress, act, and behave. So the answer is they watched the original Gremlins movie.

That's how meta Gremlins 2 is.

Gremlins 2 is so meta that the Gremlins are actively watching Gremlins 2 in the movie.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

X-Men: Dark Phoenix: Or: A Cis White Man Decides What's Best For Another Person And Fucks Everything Up By Doing So, But Is Never Actually Held Accountable For His Actions.

Also irritating, how on earth is that movie so honest-to-God boring.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, that's kinda his thing, even in the comics.

Hubris is a bitch, man.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Also irritating, how on earth is that movie so honest-to-God boring.

Yeah I do not understand how they managed that.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I watched it last night and honestly already forgot most of it. Thinking about it, I don't remember anything about the bad guys, except they weren't humans?

Also, but this isn't really irritating, the violence was a bit more graphic than I remember x-men being.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
X-Men 3 got pretty graphic when Phoenix was flaying Wolverine while he trudged forward to murder her, but the Deadpool movies and Logan showed them that they can totally do extreme violence and make it work.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Schubalts posted:

X-Men 3 got pretty graphic when Phoenix was flaying Wolverine while he trudged forward to murder her, but the Deadpool movies and Logan showed them that they can totally do extreme violence and make it work.

Oh man I will never forget laughing as his shirt and skin flay off but his magical Levis don't suffer a scratch. They should at least have had them thrashed down to jorts from the sheer force of the Phoenix's power.

Is there any point in seeing the latest one since as I understand it's just a redo at the same story but with no Wolverine?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, there's a nightcrawler scene that tops his appearance in x2.

It's got some decent parts, but it's a boring as gently caress movie with a nasic "What the poo poo?" take on the Phoenix saga.

If I had paid to see it, I'd be pissed. I saw it at the theater with a friend and she covered the ticket. It's worth waiting for netflix or something, honestly.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Push El Burrito posted:

Gremlins 2 is so meta that the Gremlins are actively watching Gremlins 2 in the movie.

The gremlins in 2 killed
Leonard Maltin because he gave Gremlins a bad review. They are well aware of the danger of microwaves.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I never saw Dark Phoenix because I’m not a sad loser but I will say the award for “movie with cool awesome stuff that’s boring as poo poo” will forever be Sucker Punch

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

oldpainless posted:

I never saw Dark Phoenix because I’m not a sad loser but I will say the award for “movie with cool awesome stuff that’s boring as poo poo” will forever be Sucker Punch

Sucker Punch becomes great if you just watch the fantasy sequences on youtube and skip the rest.

Snyder can't do many things, but he can sure make a completely nonsensical five minute set of utter bullshit look pretty.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

oldpainless posted:

Dark Phoenix is a great authentic comic book movie because it really hits the feeling of another forgettable run in a decades old series.
"Are we going do another arc that spans several comics throughout a year? Some really ambitious stuff?" "No, it is just one title that needs to be filled for the next couple of months."

I guess 20th Century Fox was trying to make some quick money with their license. And then they got bought by Disney.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Sep 3, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Has there been anything like Gremlins 2 since 1990? I can't think of another instance where a studio just handed the keys and all the money to someone and said "Do whatever you want"

There's a reason this sketch exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has there been anything like Gremlins 2 since 1990? I can't think of another instance where a studio just handed the keys and all the money to someone and said "Do whatever you want"

There's a reason this sketch exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

To a lesser degree Freddy Got Fingered?

Netflix has probably funded something that went off the rails at some point. If not multiple times.