Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

yea ok posted:

yeah for sure. i think it's dangerous to continue to have to raise the bar and poo poo liek the scissor board has a high variance of danger (or maybe im a mark, idk) but just generally speaking deathmatches just look gross rather than being actually unsafe. not speaking for like the ones with two guys who have wrestled for 10 days getting booked on an ian rotten show

Well with Ian shows the real danger is picking up Hep C or Staph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That said, Jimmy Lloyd had one hell of a close call last year, that was scary

the one fuckin jimmy lloyd match ive ever seen (streaming) live and the dude nearly slits his throat on a bunch of scissors lol. yeah whoo that was a scary one.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
It's like boxing vs bare knuckle boxing. Bare knuckle is more gruesome and bloody but probably way better on your health long term.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

Reading the MOTY/WMOTY thread, there was a discussion over how a hardcore match was worked safer than a non-hardcore one. Now, I usually dislike hardcore matches because I get worked all the time (I also watched one live wherein a wrestler got suplexed into a boxful of thumbtacks, and he posted on socmed about that one thumbtack that was stuck to his body long after he had already packed up and gone home, ANYWAY...), but how does one work a hardcore match to be "safe"? Are there ways to tell?
Atsushi Onita started "garbage wrestling" in Japan because his knees were shot. (Like everybody else said, blood isn't as hard on your body in the long-term as falling down over and over.) Onita was heavily influenced by his tour in Tennessee. At the same time NJPW and AJPW were developing MMA style wrestling and the "King's Road" style of telling stories through epic matches with constant innovation of crazy moves.

All three styles influenced the tape-trading culture in the US simultaneously, mostly without the context of the story being told. So in the US you started seeing hardcore wrestlers who were cutting themselves and taking insane bumps, often with too little training, for way too little money.

Jim Cornette plays a character on the radio, but he wrote a great essay on the topic.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Most deathmatch wrestling is safer then your average njpw match but it's right to compare the two. Like, breaking a light tube over someone's back or dropping them on thumbtacks can't really be messed up in a way that going to cause real damage to a person. You'll bleed and it will hurt but the gently caress up potential is a lot lower then pretty much any flip. But there is a handful of stuff in death matches that have the potential for a very quick and violent death if you gently caress it up. A NJPW match probably doesn't have that, you'll just slowly kill yourself through the grinding down of your spine.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Onita style death matches were safer than a normal "great" because you just punched and teased barbed wire poo poo until something blew up. Yeah you bled a lot, but you took very few bumps.

Modern death matches have just as many bumps as normal matches so it's no safer.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Can we all just agree that shoving syringes and poo poo through people's cheeks as a spot is hosed up and and gross and needs to go back to weird fetish videos?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

as long as the syringes are handled and disposed of properly they are much safer than many normal wrestling moves. once again, skin, fat and muscle wounds are highly overrated in severity by most mark communities

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

Can we all just agree that shoving syringes and poo poo through people's cheeks as a spot is hosed up and and gross and needs to go back to weird fetish videos cool as hell?

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I dont want to see someone get hit with a weedwacker that spins pizza cutters but if some goober wants to go ahead and make a spot out if it, get your poo poo in goober.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
For years I thought the exploding barb wire acid nail bomb matches were made up by the IWC. It never occurred to me that people would willingly wrestle in close proximity to an explosive device.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nystral posted:

For years I thought the exploding barb wire acid nail bomb matches were made up by the IWC. It never occurred to me that people would willingly wrestle in close proximity to an explosive device.

The fact Terry Funk, probably one of the top 5 of all time, wrestled in death matches still amazes me

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Low Desert Punk posted:

I don't think you can make a hardcore match "safe," but you can minimize risks by leaving as little to chance as possible. everything gimmicked, smoke and mirrors, safe bumps, etc. Bumping on thumbtacks and stapling your forehead hurts but it's not going to actually injure you.

You can totally make a hardcore match safe, it just depends on your definition of “hardcore”. Al Snow and Bob Holly had a hardcore match where the only danger was hypothermia.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hardcore is fine, deathmatch I can't watch. The difference for me is glass.

Barbed wire and thumbtacks are kind of bordernline.

But stuff like protected chairshots, table spots, kendo sticks, etc. All fine and good. I'm less cool with blading because of transmittable diseases, though, and you kinda need color to make hardcore cool. At least in the indies, cutting yourself and risking hepatitis for life in front of 50 people seems kind of dumb and worthless.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Can we all just agree that shoving syringes and poo poo through people's cheeks as a spot is hosed up and and gross and needs to go back to weird fetish videos?

This poo poo is probably the only deathmatch stuff that makes me cringe so honestly it is very good and it needs to stay. At tos4 when Sakuda wrestled like half a match with a skewer through both sides of his mouth then ripped it out when he started a big comeback it was very badass

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I used to stick needles through my fingertips and cheeks and stuff in grade school to impress people so that kind of stuff doesn't get me too bad.

That said, the spot on the mania weekend AIW show where Josh Bishop pounded bamboo skewers into Dominic Garrini's cauliflower ear made me stop the stream and go lie down, so it still can be real nasty.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Hellblazer187 posted:

But stuff like protected chairshots, table spots, kendo sticks, etc. All fine and good. I'm less cool with blading because of transmittable diseases, though, and you kinda need color to make hardcore cool. At least in the indies, cutting yourself and risking hepatitis for life in front of 50 people seems kind of dumb and worthless.

First thought: It's 2019, blood tests aren't complicated. If you can't make sure your wrestlers don't have any bloodborne diseases you shouldn't be running any wrestling shows, let alone hardcore ones.

Second thought: Blood tests can be kind of expensive, actually. The US healthcare system loving sucks.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Lurks With Wolves posted:

First thought: It's 2019, blood tests aren't complicated. If you can't make sure your wrestlers don't have any bloodborne diseases you shouldn't be running any wrestling shows, let alone hardcore ones.

Second thought: Blood tests can be kind of expensive, actually. The US healthcare system loving sucks.

exploding barbed wire prediabetes blood sugar suicide vest deathmatch wherein you force feed your opponent cookies until a glucose test triggers the c4 strapped to their chest

my question is: why not done?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
It's like when CZW did the angle where Zandig was strung up on meathooks. It got an astonishingly stupid amount of online backlash—more than any actually dangerous CZW spots had—even though it was part of the angle that Whacks (the piercing expert who did other work for them) was "forced" by the heels into doing it. That stunt was completely safe.

I didn't like the spot G-Raver got hurt on, or his close call seconds earlier, or even using glass in general (not to mention the tubes given the mercury dust), but there's clearly a method to the madness of a LOT of the common death match spots, with the big mishaps coming with big bumps or spots where the wrestlers sacrificed too much control of the props.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
It was late June when fans at an Indiana death match show were advised to get tested for HIV and hepatitis. Hep C and HIV transmission rates are on the upswing due to the IV drug epidemic.

If you can’t blood test your roster, then doing matches where fans or competitors are exposed to blood is really dangerous.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Punch McLightning posted:

It was late June when fans at an Indiana death match show were advised to get tested for HIV and hepatitis. Hep C and HIV transmission rates are on the upswing due to the IV drug epidemic.

If you can’t blood test your roster, then doing matches where fans or competitors are exposed to blood is really dangerous.
I agree, but didn't it turn out that the Indiana thing was someone panicking and not a wrestler having Hep C or HIV?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Did we ever find out what Lance Storm’s new gig is yet?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one hardcore thing that I always wonder about is the barbed wire. Is it usually gimmicked at all? Or do you not need to worry about tetanus if it's been kept clean? Or do they just get shots afterwards?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

davidbix posted:

I agree, but didn't it turn out that the Indiana thing was someone panicking and not a wrestler having Hep C or HIV?

I seem to recall it pretty quickly coming out that the state (correctly, probably) had to recommend that about any incident where there's both a crowd and a lot of blood, not that there was any real suspicion that bloodborne disease was likely.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/mYz7Wno.mp4

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

davidbix posted:

As said by Draxion, that should be standard operating procedure because that could easily be the start of an outbreak. 15% of people living in the U.S. with HIV don’t know they have HIV.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What happened between Billy Gunn and Stone Cold in the late '90s where Austin refused to work with Billy?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've always loved that HBK gif, especially the old dude losing his loving mind wanting to jump the rail to fight him, but I've somehow never noticed the black guy laughing his rear end off while restraining him before :allears:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What happened between Billy Gunn and Stone Cold in the late '90s where Austin refused to work with Billy?

Just didn't think he was a big enough star, and wasn't somebody who could be brought to that level by working with him.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Maxwell Lord posted:

The one hardcore thing that I always wonder about is the barbed wire. Is it usually gimmicked at all? Or do you not need to worry about tetanus if it's been kept clean? Or do they just get shots afterwards?

They file/cut the points down sometimes but that's it since apparently fake barbed wire hurts more than the real thing. Wrestlers are pretty dumb so who knows if most of them even think about tetanus.

Randaconda posted:

Just didn't think he was a big enough star, and wasn't somebody who could be brought to that level by working with him.

He was 100% right and an Austin/Gunn feud would have sucked.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Anything Billy Gunn did without Road Dogg sucked. Who the gently caress had such an erection for him that he kept getting so many pushes?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Anything Billy Gunn did without Road Dogg sucked. Who the gently caress had such an erection for him that he kept getting so many pushes?

JR was head of talent relations and loved Gunn. Gunn was also jacked, athletic, and even though it was from coattail riding, pretty drat over.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CombineThresher posted:

He was 100% right and an Austin/Gunn feud would have sucked.

Doesn't seem to be any hard feelings, Billy's been on his podcast several times.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

JR was head of talent relations and loved Gunn. Gunn was also jacked, athletic, and even though it was from coattail riding, pretty drat over.

I honestly don't remember him being over without Road Dogg standing in the ring with him. Or maybe fans of how campy Mr. rear end and the Billy & Chuck teams were.

EDIT: One thing I do remember is how convincing he was as a misogynistic woman-beating piece of poo poo in TNA. Like I never doubted for a second that he believed what was coming out of his mouth. Whether or not that's a compliment depends on how he actually is in real life.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 3, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Billy had something, he was just never ever to bring it out in singles. Should have just stayed in tag teams

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Trust me, I'm not saying Road Dogg was somehow better other than on the mic and maybe dance moves. And holy poo poo does the entire DX schtick not age well at all, I'm embarrassed for my fourteen year old self.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Road Dogg was good on the mic until after about three years of him doing the same exact promo every week, I realized he was never ever going to come up with a new one. This became even more evident when he went to TNA and worked with Konnan. And yeah, I was also no longer 14.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I seem to recall Billy Gunn as being... somewhat decent in-ring by Attitude Era standards. Was he up there with the likes of Val Venis in competing for the questionable title of "best wrestler in the WWF not named Taka Michinoku"?

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Al Snow and Bob Holly had a hardcore match where the only danger was hypothermia.

Okay, this took me by surprise and I want to know more. Did Stone Cold do a run-in or was it the match itself that was cold?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I seem to recall Billy Gunn as being... somewhat decent in-ring by Attitude Era standards. Was he up there with the likes of Val Venis in competing for the questionable title of "best wrestler in the WWF not named Taka Michinoku"?

Okay, this took me by surprise and I want to know more. Did Stone Cold do a run-in or was it the match itself that was cold?

If I'm not mistaken, they're referring to a hardcore match they had that ended up in the Long Island Sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Its just an intrinsic risk of being covered by snow.