Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Servetus posted:

Did we ever scrape enough money together to run the Torpedo bomber design competition BuORD ordered?

Erm, that's a quote of me saying that we have not researched TB's yet.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Grey Hunter posted:

Erm, that's a quote of me saying that we have not researched TB's yet.....

Funny, the save you gave us has early air launched torpedoes researched, but it's true that the option to actually develop a torpedo bomber hasn't been enabled. Maybe it's a lack of flight decks?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Time to take back Alaska!!!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

October 1918

Every bugger seems to be supporting rebels against me!

The trade war kicks off – neither of us seem overly prepared for it.

The US seem to have some fair sized forces for someone with no base in the region.

They have caught the Tsar off on a pleasure cruise. Thankfully fog and night fall and there is no contact.

With this thing out there, I'm glad there wasn't!

The US shipyards are busy!

November 1918

I'm not allowed to take the prestige hit for ignoring this, so rounding up foreign citizens is the next best option.

Wait, estimated own forces one seaplane carrier....

No, its a seaplane carrier and the Imperator Nikolai Veliki. And some destroyers.
Ah well, at least we get to launch scout planes.

Who completely miss the Ranger. GOD DAMNIT!

Despite being two knots slower, she comes in at a frightening speed and lands a hit on the yact!

Two minutes later, she blows a turret off! Then a second is taken out a minute later!

Things continue to go well.

Catch 22, if we slow down, they get into range and sink us, if we continue at this speed, we sink.

All hand to the lifeboats, women and autocratic rulers first!

The Tsar is transferred to a destroyer, along with his attendant nobility.

With our most prestigious ship sunk, the Ranger turns north and disengages.

A pure disaster, mitigated only by the fact we were able to save most of the nobility and the Tsar.

The Tsar is understandably angry with me. But that thing moved like a bat out of hell!

December 1918

The British and Americans clash, and the Americans come off better!

They are putting down a lot of corvettes.

The war is going poorly, but it is still early days.

Here is the fleet comparison.

At least we are now running something of a surplus.

Here is the fleet.

And what is under construction.

And finally our research.

Year end. Act may now be submitted

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

We're going to be haunted by a Gray Ghost aren't we? :v:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
At least we finally got rid of that stupid yacht.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Dance Officer posted:

At least we finally got rid of that stupid yacht.

Mm. I’m half tempted to cobble together a “no more one off joke boats for c.20 years” act while we... you know, catch up in a few areas, dare I say.

To be fair given that we only lost the round boat to Ranger we could have come off far worse...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Never Not Yacht
The Tsar needs a new yacht. Interpret that how you like, no limits except it must be built in Russian docks.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

simplefish posted:

Never Not Yacht
The Tsar needs a new yacht. Interpret that how you like, no limits except it must be built in Russian docks.

Seconded

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Could we have charged that BC with the destroyers? It didn't seem to have any screening forces. Losing a few destroyers to sink a BC would've been worth it, if it was possible.

This is a genuine question not a criticism by the way

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That almanac at the end is damning stuff. We have one capital ship to face ten American capital ships, and in the meantime we're focusing our efforts on building the world's largest seaplane carrier and yet another run of destroyers despite already having the most destroyers in the world. This war may be unwinnable in direct warfare because of such a huge tonnage advantage to the other side, but we can start preparations for the next one.

The Battleships, Battleships, Battleships Act:
Design and build a line of capital ships (BB or BC). Shipyard proposals have the leeway to interpret this as they please, but this Act demands that we build a minimum of three ships of this class, so the shipyard must strike an appropriate balance between fighting ability and cost. Short range and cost-effective engines may be preferable, given that nearly all our battleship engagements take place in the Baltic Sea, close to our home ports.

Until at least three ships of this class have been completed, no other new constructions may be started (though current constructions may be completed) and all current legislative requirements to build additional ships are cancelled, to ensure our erratic naval planning does not reprioritize funds away from these vital ships of the line during our time of greatest need.

Once at least three ships of this class are completed, scrap our three remaining pre-dreadnought battleships.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 4, 2019

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

vyelkin posted:

That almanac at the end is damning stuff. We have one capital ship to face ten American capital ships, and in the meantime we're focusing our efforts on building the world's largest seaplane carrier and yet another run of destroyers despite already having the most destroyers in the world. This war may be unwinnable in direct warfare because of such a huge tonnage advantage to the other side, but we can start preparations for the next one.

Design and build a line of capital ships (BB or BC). Shipyard proposals have the leeway to interpret this as they please, but this Act demands that we build a minimum of three ships of this class, so the shipyard must strike an appropriate balance between fighting ability and cost. Short range and cost-effective engines may be preferable, given that nearly all our battleship engagements take place in the Baltic Sea, close to our home ports.

Until at least three ships of this class have been completed, no other new constructions may be started (though current constructions may be completed) and all current legislative requirements to build additional ships are cancelled, to ensure our erratic naval planning does not reprioritize funds away from these vital ships of the line during our time of greatest need.

Once all three ships of this class are completed, scrap our three remaining pre-dreadnought battleships.

Seconded. We need some battlewagons on the line

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Splode posted:

Could we have charged that BC with the destroyers? It didn't seem to have any screening forces. Losing a few destroyers to sink a BC would've been worth it, if it was possible.

This is a genuine question not a criticism by the way

Depends how good our destroyers are compared with how much torpedo protection they have. I have done similar things in games I’ve played with some success but I focus heavily on torpedos and destroyers for just such an occasion. If the US has torpedo protection on that, it would be extremely difficult and require several very good shots to pull off. Doable but at long odds.

(In my games I tend to build a line of destroyers that are basically PT boats that roar in as fast as possible to fire off torpedos and then run away).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

MY FLOATING OFFICE!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And lo, falls the roundest boat to ever exist.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Night10194 posted:

And lo, falls the roundest boat to ever exist.

Presumably our round boat party can find Novgorod in the breaking yard instead of commissioning a new yacht.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

vyelkin posted:

Design and build a line of capital ships (BB or BC).

Once at least three ships of this class are completed, scrap our three remaining pre-dreadnought battleships.

Seconded. Build some actual god drat usable modern battle botes

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mission Accomplished Act

End the war at the earliest available opportunity, preferably with a white peace.

Our goal with this conflict was to undo the Naval Arms limitation treaty, allowing us to construct dreadnought class vessels. That has been accomplished, and continuing to waste blood and treasure is pointless.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Infidelicious posted:

Mission Accomplished Act

End the war at the earliest available opportunity, preferably with a white peace.

Our goal with this conflict was to undo the Naval Arms limitation treaty, allowing us to construct dreadnought class vessels. That has been accomplished, and continuing to waste blood and treasure is pointless.

Seconded. The reputation and life of the Tsar has already been imperiled by the sinking of his yacht. Our fleet is weak. German agents in our midst hoping for our destruction will cry out that this is weakness but a peace is nothing more than an opportunity to prepare for war.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Efficient Rearmament Act

There shall be no gimmick ships of the BB, CA, B or BC classes until we have built at least five new ships of those classes or ten years have passed, whichever happens earlier

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

simplefish posted:

Never Not Yacht

As an amendment to this act:

The Fooled Me Once Amendment

The Tsar has had taste of battle, and now a taste of defeat. To reflect his growing personal interest in the navy, the new vessel which will carry the Imperial standard is to be a dreadnought-size vessel of the battlecruiser type, and is to be a modern warship fit to carry an Emperor into the heat of battle, with the specifics of that requirement open to interpretation by the design bureaus.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Dealer's Choice Act

This Act allows the Admiralty (Grey) to, in an emergency as defined by the Admiralty, design and commit to testing a new ship class as a reference design. This act does not allow for any funds to be used toward building ships not authorized.

During the passage of Acts, the allocation of building funds would automatically be put to a vote, while also allowing for the submission of competing designs. The outcome of this vote would be for the Admiralty design to be built, a competing design to be built, or for no funds to be allocated to such a foolhardy proposition. If no funds are allocated, the Admiralty has the option to submit for funding the following year, but for no more than 2 voting sessions per class, and for no more than 1 class per voting session. Should a tie happen, a competing design would prevail, followed by the Admiralty design. Funds allocated would be appropriate for the class in question.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

The Tsar has had taste of battle, and now a taste of defeat. To reflect his growing personal interest in the navy, the new vessel which will carry the Imperial standard is to be a dreadnought-size vessel of the battlecruiser type, and is to be a modern warship fit to carry an Emperor into the heat of battle, with the specifics of that requirement open to interpretation by the design bureaus.

edit: Seconded as its own act

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 5, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

sloshmonger posted:

Dealer's Choice Act

This Act allows the Admiralty (Grey) to, in an emergency as defined by the Admiralty, design and commit to testing a new ship class as a reference design. This act does not allow for any funds to be used toward building ships not authorized.

During the passage of Acts, the allocation of building funds would automatically be put to a vote, while also allowing for the submission of competing designs. The outcome of this vote would be for the Admiralty design to be built, a competing design to be built, or for no funds to be allocated to such a foolhardy proposition. If no funds are allocated, the Admiralty has the option to submit for funding the following year, but for no more than 2 voting sessions per class, and for no more than 1 class per voting session. Should a tie happen, a competing design would prevail, followed by the Admiralty design. Funds allocated would be appropriate for the class in question.

Seconded.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

sheep-dodger posted:

Efficient Rearmament Act

There shall be no gimmick ships of the BB, CA, B or BC classes until we have built at least five new ships of those classes or ten years have passed, whichever happens earlier

Seconded.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sheep-dodger posted:

Efficient Rearmament Act

Seconded.

If we wanted to have the budget to build dumb poo poo and still overwhelm the enemy with an army of ship-corpses we'd have been America.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

I refuse to amend my bill with this.

Feel free to propose it as your own bill though!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

simplefish posted:

I refuse to amend my bill with this.

Feel free to propose it as your own bill though!

Functionally I'm treating it as a separate bill, it's just a bill that will only take effect if yours passes (as there's no point in specifying the class of ship the yacht is if the bill to build a yacht fails)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

King Hong Kong posted:

Presumably our round boat party can find Novgorod in the breaking yard instead of commissioning a new yacht.

I've figured out how to make boats even ROUNDER since I designed the yacht.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

simplefish posted:

Never Not Yacht

Thirded, to make sure that it's allowed as it's own option.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I've figured out how to make boats even ROUNDER since I designed the yacht.

Hell yeah!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

sheep-dodger posted:

Efficient Rearmament Act

How do you define a “gimmick ship”?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Functionally I'm treating it as a separate bill, it's just a bill that will only take effect if yours passes (as there's no point in specifying the class of ship the yacht is if the bill to build a yacht fails)

Alrighty then!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

simplefish posted:

Never Not Yacht

vyelkin posted:

Infidelicious posted:

Mission Accomplished Act

Mister Bates posted:

sloshmonger posted:

Dealer's Choice Act

sheep-dodger posted:

Efficient Rearmament Act

Quite a swathe to be voting on here!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Never Not Yacht - AYE!!!
Triple B Act - AYE
MIA Act - AYE
FMO Provision - NAY!
DC Act - AYE
ER Act - NAY!!!!!!!!!

e: Simplefish made a real good point below and I changed my mind on Fool Me Once. Also, if you have a perfectly round ship you can ALWAYS take off into the wind!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 5, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Never Not Yacht - AYE
Battleships Battleships Battlrships - AYE
Mission Accomplished - AYE (I nearly abstained but sure, Aye)
Fool Me Once Amendment - NAY. I get where this is coming from, but if someone can make a yacht-like seaplane tender that is exactly the sort of thing I don't want to take off the table!
Dealer's Choice Act - NAY. Sounds like too much paperwork.
EEfficient Rearmament - NAY. If you want to play boring, buy the game yourself!

simplefish fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 5, 2019

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Never Not Yacht - Nay
Triple B Act - AYE
MAA Act - AYE
FMO Provision - Nay the Tsar can hunt trade in south east Asia in a 40m light cruiser instead of another 100m boondoggle.
DC Act - Nay Because slowing down procurement is a bad idea.
ER Act - Nay because gimmick ship isn't defined.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Never Not Yacht - NAY
Battleships Battleships Battleships - AYE
Mission Accomplished - AYE
Fool Me Once Amendment - NAY
Dealer's Choice Act - NAY
Efficient Rearmament - AYE

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Never Not Yacht - NAY
The Battleships, Battleships, Battleships Act: - NAY
Mission Accomplished Act - YAY
The Fooled Me Once Amendment - NAY
Dealer's Choice Act - NAY
Efficient Rearmament Act - YAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If “gimmick ship” isn’t defined by the statute, how will Grey interpret it? Maybe the intention of the statute could be fulfilled by mandating that we build knockoffs of foreign vessels.