Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Dont use flash. That is kinda for you and the players. Flash blinds players and will cast weird shadows. The yellow reflection from the floor is that, you could turn those down by lowering highlights or changing highlight color. Also by masking but that would take a long time. Let the colors come naturally. Thats what this forum taught me.

The white balance will also change based on the lighting. Mix of natural and artificial? Or bulb flickering? Bulbs getting really hot so temp varies? Do what you can and work off of that.

You could also TRY to shoot with a CPL which would be interesting but also maybe cut down on that reflected light. No idea how that would turn out and I might try it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Thanks for the advice. The only reason I even tried it was because it was a group exercise thing and not a match of any kind, but yeah, I'll avoid it in the future. I might go in there and mess around with a CPL the next time the lights are on and see if that helps at all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FYI, you're going to lose light with a CPL, potentially quite a bit of it, and if you're in a basketball arena you already don't have much.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Atlatl posted:

thanks! Log rolling was very cool and I want to shoot more of it. I'll be the aquatics guy I guess so at least I'll have access to all of that.

I know I shouldn't compare myself to a dude with a 1DX who's getting his masters in photojournalism and has been shooting longer than I've owned even a gopro but having a hit rate like 1/4th of your coworker feels bad man :smith:

I do have some questions though, how do you deal with the lovely gloss wood laminate floors in indoors arenas? We have a large one here and I'm having a lot of trouble with three things: 1) reflection from the floors give a gross yellow underlight to anyone standing on them, 2) using a flash makes people look like cellulite monsters because of the striped reflection pattern, 3) the lights in there have a lot of dead time in between strobes and some weird colors, so high shutter speeds can be lit very strangely even with anti-flicker features on my camera.

I can desaturate yellow hues in post a little bit, which helps, but I'd prefer to know a good way to deal with it other than in post.

One of the unfortunate realities of shooting basketball in gyms like this is that there's really only so much you can do, even with the best gear. You can try an anti-flicker setting if your camera has it, but you sort of have to resign yourself to the fact that some of your shots are going to get messed up from cycling lights.

Shooting in RAW can help but RIP your storage and processing times. If you're on a deadline, it's probably not feasible, but if you have a bit of time, you can correct for white balance differences.

Same thing for the orange hue off the wood - especially if you get a shorter guy driving to the basket, he's gonna be more orange than the rest of the photo. You can white balance for that player's skin and let the rest of the photo fall in the blues, or do a targeted adjustment brush (time-consuming) to correct just the affected player.

All this is to say that really, focusing on learning how to shoot the sport, keeping your eyes peeled for important moments, honing your tracking and focusing skills, and generally refining how you shoot and approach documenting games is going to do more for your photography than trying to correct for things that are out of your control.

dakana fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 1, 2019

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Managed to pick up some freelance work for the Cincinnati Enquirer doing high school sports. Editor has been great to work with so far, so here's hoping this'll continue for a bit. This was my first real sports tests for my A7RIII. I also just picked up the Sony 70-200 2.8 GM. Expensive lenses and no used market sucks, but this lens *killed it*. Keeper rate was better than my 5D3+70-200 2.8L II combo, and that's including in the super lovely light of f/2.8, 1/800 and ISO 8000.

Observations: having 42MP at my disposal for cropping owns really hard. I also realized that APS-C crop mode is actually really drat useful -- I assigned it to the lens button so I could essentially click on a 1.6x TC at will. It's the same IQ as if I'd just cropped, but it's so much easier to follow the action and focus in crop mode because the viewfinder zooms in.

Overall, I was super happy with the performance. It's kind of a shame that the Sony 2X TC and 70-200 is hot garbage at 5.6, whereas the Canon 2X III and 70-200 are actually pretty usable if you could focus.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i will always love pictures of linemen looking like they're hucking some receiver or running back way up in the air

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
https://www.aftenposten.no/sport/fotball/i/BRqLLE/Fotografen-fikk-ublidt-mote-med-RBK-spiller--Veldig-ekkelt

Now, this is in runespeak for most of you - but the article says:

Photographer got crushed by footballer. The guy got sandwiched between two players and a metal staircase. He destroyed his gear, probably got a concussion and a few cuts and bruises.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Owwwwww

Poor dude

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

azathosk posted:

https://www.aftenposten.no/sport/fotball/i/BRqLLE/Fotografen-fikk-ublidt-mote-med-RBK-spiller--Veldig-ekkelt

Now, this is in runespeak for most of you - but the article says:

Photographer got crushed by footballer. The guy got sandwiched between two players and a metal staircase. He destroyed his gear, probably got a concussion and a few cuts and bruises.

I had a ref run into and trip over me at a handball game once, but thankfully nothing that serious. I got away with a bruised ego and some choice words from the ref about my positioning.

Also, kinda weird that he doesn't have insurance on his gear.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 3, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about getting a football spiked into your face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM0xtwvnDEs

(in my memories it was the camera guy that got beaned, not some random dude)

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I've been very lucky. This is the closest call I had over 4 years of college football shooting -- I'm in the gray sweatshirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTKHfIvXIio

I did have a friend who was sitting right next to me get demolished by a basketball player at a women's game, though. He'd started lowering the camera from his eye, and the metal back of the hotshoe slammed into his chin. Lots of blood, got first-aided by a cute trainer, went on a date with her.

**nsfw: gross chin divot injury**

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bring back your big hair, TIA

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

dakana posted:

Managed to pick up some freelance work for the Cincinnati Enquirer doing high school sports. Editor has been great to work with so far, so here's hoping this'll continue for a bit. This was my first real sports tests for my A7RIII. I also just picked up the Sony 70-200 2.8 GM. Expensive lenses and no used market sucks, but this lens *killed it*. Keeper rate was better than my 5D3+70-200 2.8L II combo, and that's including in the super lovely light of f/2.8, 1/800 and ISO 8000.

Observations: having 42MP at my disposal for cropping owns really hard. I also realized that APS-C crop mode is actually really drat useful -- I assigned it to the lens button so I could essentially click on a 1.6x TC at will. It's the same IQ as if I'd just cropped, but it's so much easier to follow the action and focus in crop mode because the viewfinder zooms in.

Overall, I was super happy with the performance. It's kind of a shame that the Sony 2X TC and 70-200 is hot garbage at 5.6, whereas the Canon 2X III and 70-200 are actually pretty usable if you could focus.

As someone with your old set up looking to move to your new one, this is great news. Did you sell your old gear or keep it?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cause I am debating selling my set up with canon, and buying either an A9 or A7RIV with a decent lens and like a 100-400 5.6

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Soulex posted:

As someone with your old set up looking to move to your new one, this is great news. Did you sell your old gear or keep it?

Cause I am debating selling my set up with canon, and buying either an A9 or A7RIV with a decent lens and like a 100-400 5.6

Initially, I sold my 5D3 and 6D and picked up the A7RIII and a Sigma MC-E11 adapter. I've been adapting my EF mount lenses — Tamron 17-35 2.8-4, Sigma 24 1.4 Art, Canon 50 1.2L, Canon 85 1.8, and Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II — for a bit. For weddings it's been working well -- the 24, 50, and 85 focus really well in particular with the adapter, but the 70-200 was terrible. Lots of hunting and times where it just couldn't find focus without helping it manually, so I prioritized replacing it. I knew it would've been unusable for football, so that's when I picked up the Sony 70-200 2.8. Now I'm looking to sell my Canon 70-200 and 2x TC III. Down the line, I might slowly start replacing my Canon stuff with Sony for marginal improvements in AF accuracy and speed especially in low light as well as just to simplify things.

I think if you need the reach of a 400mm, I think the 100-400 is probably the best way to do it because the Sony 2x TC really isn't great. I shot the 70-200 and 2x III on Canon for baseball, soccer and football when I had a bit of light, and it worked really well. Looking online, though, the Sony 70-200 and 2x don't seem to be a super usable combo wrt IQ and AF. For my purposes, I'd get more use out of the 70-200 for weddings and portraits, and can make do with cropping on sports which are a lower priority (and moneymaker) for me.

It looks like they'll be announcing an A9 II in October, so you might want to wait until that to see if it drives down the current A9 prices (or if you want the II if you've got the cash). Speaking of cash, if you're looking to save, the 61MP A7RIV is pretty nuts, but beyond the resolution bump from the A7RIII's 42mp, there aren't a ton of significant differences. You might save some money getting an RIII and still get the features you want.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I forgot about being able to switch to 1.6x and was still thinking in terms of the 5D. I sorta need that reach but a 70-200 would seem like the better bet.

My thinking for the 4 over the 3 are for a few reasons. The dual UHS-II card slots, the updated face tracking and use in video, the updated video capabilities (4k 60p), and the upgraded pixel count so that the 1.6x crop still out performs my old 5dmkiii. The original plan was to get a 7riii over the 7iii until i saw that it was literally just about to have an upgrade come out.

The reason I was not looking to the 9, about the same price, is the lack of dual UHS-II, megapixel count compared to the a7riii, and video capabilities. Video is a concern because I have the ability to do video products. I often apply for sports photography and videography jobs and need a multi-tool as opposed to a specialized one.

Selling my canon stuff based, on ebay comps, would put me around 2500. Thats enough for a 70-200 Sony. Or I keep the stuff and mount a shutter slave to it and have multi-angle shoots. Was it just the 70-200 2.8L that it had a hard time focusing with? Anything else? I also have a 24-70 F4.

Thanks for your help! I basically won my court case against the VA and they have to pay me back money owed. It isnt significant, like I am not Oprah, but I do get a chance to upgrade my tools. I have been wanting switch to mirrorless for a very long time.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Took some photos today:

https://imgur.com/gallery/PdbzUVw

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Both of the jumping catches seem either a touch soft or a bit blurry. How fast were you shooting?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

More than likely just a little soft. I was 2.8 so its probably just a tad off focus. I used a cpl but never dropped below 1/800. I like using the CPL when the sun is right overhead. Makes the colors a bit nicer imo. Also helps with glare off the face masks

Im really leaning towards the a9 now in terms of cameras. I didnt realize how blindingly fast it was with the buffer it has. 24mp is still perfectly fine. My biggest concern would be reach at that point. Just, the more I think about it, the more I realize the a9 is the better option of the two, will likely lower in price once a9ii is announced, and will better suit my main needs while still being able to do poo poo like product photography. The megapixel count is nice on the a7riii and a7riv and I was definitely considering that for the ability to crop a lot or get a boost to range.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Got some more car stuff coming up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yeah, looking forward to seeing it.

I need to get into more stuff when my foot heals back up. I've been dying to put my EM1x to work on some sports/action but I lost a fight with an ATV and broke the gently caress out of my ankle a couple months ago.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A few from two weeks ago:

Vålerenga Fotball - Rosenborg BK (1-1), 01.09.2019 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There are 7 vastly different expressions in that last picture and all of them are phenomenal lol

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

That last football pics is absolutly incredible - great catch!

DJExile posted:

Hell yeah, looking forward to seeing it.

More from different positions once I cull

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 17, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hell drat yeah love panning shots

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love shooting cars because I love cars, but I hate shooting them because they're so emotionless in a photo.

Then when you want to get into doing something creative, safety features of the track severely hamstring any attempts to pull it off. And the backgrounds are generally not helpful either.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
There's an amazing automotive photographer I follow called Piotr Degler. He takes some really amazing photos of super interesting cars but most of his stuff is studio work rather than action shots.

Instagram
website

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
love those tiny cars :3:

DJExile posted:

There are 7 vastly different expressions in that last picture and all of them are phenomenal lol

The goalie looks so pained you'd think someone just broke his legs lol

I just shot my first soccer/football match for our women's club on Saturday and feel like a clown, though everyone's happy with how the pics came out so I guess that's ok. A couple of things I noticed:

1) I feel like with a lot of the things I'm shooting, there aren't really as many interesting facial expressions because everyone's so focused on actual execution of what they're doing because nothing's especially automatic for them yet. I feel like it's hard for me to cull pictures because everything I shoot is hot garbage because there aren't as many stand out moments for the players.

2) Shooting in 114 F/45.5 C heat in the middle of a cloudless day was ridiculous and almost every shot suffered a bit from heat haze.

3) Had the match not wound up one-sided right before the end of the first half, I would have had an awful time positioning since I was working by myself. Most of the away team was dying due to heat and we had a huge bench so I just parked myself near the opposing team's goal in the last quarter and that worked out. It's a big field and it's obviously not feasible to chase everyone around, but is there anything I can do besides be patient and try to work one area/angle every few minutes?

I feel like working random gigs as a staff photographer means I'm not going to get proficient at any one thing any time soon, but I guess the bar is low and it gives me a lot of opportunities to learn and shoot stuff I wouldn't have an opportunity to do otherwise.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

I love shooting cars because I love cars, but I hate shooting them because they're so emotionless in a photo.

Then when you want to get into doing something creative, safety features of the track severely hamstring any attempts to pull it off. And the backgrounds are generally not helpful either.

Thats why I prefer drifting / rally. Flames, smoke, dust, poo poo flying...... altho if I can get the driver clearly that helps on tarmac

Also rally organizers are accommodating to photographers esp if they know you.

Not rally (this time)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Guess I jinxed myself by taking about my case. It got remanded so now I have to go back and show additional evidence. Great.

In the meantime, I took some more photos.

album: https://imgur.com/a/FMLg2Yd

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
hello it's football season again

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Wow, there's something about this one I really like. Probably because the real close offensive vs. defensive player dynamic going on here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

Well yeah as I said... rally tends to fix that issue

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Shot NISA-level soccer today.

And this guy looked familiar to me

Oh yeah!

I've shot you before!

I'm really glad to see someone I know continue their sports career like this. Especially because they consider him an all-star

album (of tonight's game):https://imgur.com/a/3zkfefz

Soulex fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 29, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

More rally cars

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Another soccer game

album: https://imgur.com/a/3ByZ9UP

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Took more photos, made some new friends

album:https://imgur.com/a/d1U7JkO

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Soulex posted:

Took more photos, made some new friends

I might have gone for a tighter crop on the left hand side (just personal preference)... but drat I like the story going on here.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I'm doing too little of this "photography" these days. Travelled on an away game last saturday. Got these shots:

Odds BK - Vålerenga Fotball 05.10.2019 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

ReverendHammer posted:

I might have gone for a tighter crop on the left hand side (just personal preference)... but drat I like the story going on here.

Thanks! Yeah, sadly he got dinged up pretty bad on that play and sat the rest of the game out. He is someone I could see in the NFL. Dude is absolutely insane and makes plays like that every game.

My school's soccer team is ranked #23 right now. They're doing some damage.

https://imgur.com/a/EsDWh1A