Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Zamujasa posted:

me: i need a refill of insulin because it is a life long thing that i will probably need forever

doctors office: this is absolutely the only refill we will provide until you come in for an appointment

me: do you have any appointment times available at all

doctors office: no

can't get health care on a waiting list if there's no room on it :toot:

also my pharmacy will regularly tell me about how they can't fill my scripts because InSuRaNcE hAs A PrObLeM because my mental health doc visits are every 28 days but refills are 30 and we can't just let you fill them a day early gosh

I get this all the time for my psych meds. Then CVS calls me over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Screaming Idiot posted:

cool i'll just move there with all the money i don't have and get support from the all the outreach programs that don't exist and drive there with the car i can't afford

this is my situation. I was an executive chef at a country club and then I got sick. it bankrupted me and I am basically going to have to work until I die.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

comedyblissoption posted:

thankfully no one was misclassified under the obama era NLRB and the obama FEC was on the ball to enforce campaign finance regulations

coworkers who should have definitely 100% been hired as fulltime workers and not independent contractors totally did not happen at my last job under the obama administration nosiree

really brings into perspective how perfect and great america always was!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ManBoyChef posted:

this is my situation. I was an executive chef at a country club and then I got sick. it bankrupted me and I am basically going to have to work until I die.

Shoulda sneezed in as many rich dude's cucumber sandwiches as you could.

(Sorry to hear you're yet another depressingly common story of our broken-rear end society destroying someone for having the gall to become sick :sigh:)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm truly sorry that America is so bad right now. Not being the smug Euro here.

I can't imagine the stress of having to deal with vultures like those insurance companies. Who needs that kind of stress in their lives.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the healthcare industry is 18% of our annual GDP, for perspective the NHS is less than 10% of UK GDP

like 50 people who are already insanely rich get insanely richer off that extra 8%

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
most of the american economy is a bunch of insane parasitism on the rest of the economy, which is immediately obvious if you look at literally any economic indicator besides raw gdp. like, you know, percentage of the population with a job, home ownership, etc. something insane like a third of ours is entirely loans. and not poo poo like business loans, i mean credit card debt and other rent seeking

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

most of the american economy is a bunch of insane parasitism on the rest of the economy, which is immediately obvious if you look at literally any economic indicator besides raw gdp. like, you know, percentage of the population with a job, home ownership, etc. something insane like a third of ours is entirely loans. and not poo poo like business loans, i mean credit card debt and other rent seeking

:capitalism:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

thankfully no one was misclassified under the obama era NLRB and the obama FEC was on the ball to enforce campaign finance regulations

coworkers who should have definitely 100% been hired as fulltime workers and not independent contractors totally did not happen at my last job under the obama administration nosiree

At least Obama's NLRB was baby steps in favor of labor. Of course, that's liberal ideology, if you set course for good, it doesn't matter how fast you go, because theoretically you can say you would gotten to a better place, some day.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/sep/03/landlords-pet-rent-ban-unfair-fees

quote:

Landlords are charging “pet rent” running into hundreds of pounds a year in an attempt to recoup losses from a ban on unfair letting fees enforced by the government this summer.

quote:

We went to one place where they wanted a reference for the dog.

quote:

“The only way to do it is to charge higher rent,” said Karolina Misiukiewicz, administrator at Elliot Oliver, an estate agent in Cheltenham.

Well they can't possibly not make the maximum amount of profit possible so I guess this is "the only way".

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Pet rent is why I don't have a pet 😕

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm considering trying to befriend the local cockatoos since we can't have any pets

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao don't pay rent for pets just bring them into your apartment, if the landlord asks questions tell them it's your dinner plan for the week

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I pay $100/mo for my dogs because it was one of two places that'd take my 10year old german shepherds. my landlords also suck rear end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just really want to pat a bird

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just really want to pat a bird

just use a gentle touch, birds are a lot more delicate than mammals

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Last place I lived had a "no pets" thing in the advertisement and the lease.

Solution: we never told them about the pets (three cats) at any point. It was a management company that never came by for any reason. Repairs were all done by outside contractors who wouldn't know or care if we were supposed to have pets.

gently caress em.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pet deposit (not refundable) AND pet rent is very common in my area

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
please pay us a big nonrefundable fee to even consider the pet and also exorbitant monthly fees as well
also you are required to submit a turd sample from your pets so that we can fine you should we find traces of pet turd anywhere on the premises

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
If you have a pet just get a friendly doctor who will sign the emotional support animal paperwork. The best part is that the landlord will post on one of their landlord forums how awful you are and isn't there just any possible way to evict you for it!?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Landmords are scum and should be paying rent on the oxygen they steal from us regular people who have to do actual work for a living

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raldikuk posted:

If you have a pet just get a friendly doctor who will sign the emotional support animal paperwork. The best part is that the landlord will post on one of their landlord forums how awful you are and isn't there just any possible way to evict you for it!?

This sort of thing is why people thing ESAs are bull poo poo and makes it harder on folks who need them. My pupper is just rad.

I mean gently caress landlords obviously

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

The Bloop posted:

This sort of thing is why people thing ESAs are bull poo poo and makes it harder on folks who need them. My pupper is just rad.

If a doctor signs off then you need it as far as federal law is concerned. The law works both ways, always be using it to your advantage because I guarantee your landlord will regardless of how great a tenant you are.

Also most landlords think they're bullshit because they want to run personal fiefdoms. They don't care how "legit" it is because they're against it period. And from what I've seen the recommendation given is to just not ban pets and such so it seems to have an overall beneficial effect.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I mean they're totally unregulated so quite a few of them are in fact bullshit :shrug:

I'm sure there's plenty of people who genuinely benefit from them so I'm not against the idea it's just super duper easy to abuse, and a lot of people don't realize what a problem that can cause, both to people who really need them and to bystanders. There's a pretty good reason why bomb-sniffing dogs, seeing-eye dogs, etc. have lots and lots of training beyond just their main jobs.

e: I should note that using it just to gently caress with your landlord and save on pet rent is probably harmless (other than adding to the already-huge stigma they have), I more have a problem with people bringing them everywhere

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Sep 3, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Raldikuk posted:

If a doctor signs off then you need it as far as federal law is concerned. The law works both ways, always be using it to your advantage because I guarantee your landlord will regardless of how great a tenant you are.

Also most landlords think they're bullshit because they want to run personal fiefdoms. They don't care how "legit" it is because they're against it period. And from what I've seen the recommendation given is to just not ban pets and such so it seems to have an overall beneficial effect.

Do you also have a handicapped parking placard to get those sweet up-front parking spots?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Shame Boy posted:

I mean they're totally unregulated so quite a few of them are in fact bullshit :shrug:

I'm sure there's plenty of people who genuinely benefit from them so I'm not against the idea it's just super duper easy to abuse, and a lot of people don't realize what a problem that can cause, both to people who really need them and to bystanders. There's a pretty good reason why bomb-sniffing dogs, seeing-eye dogs, etc. have lots and lots of training beyond just their main jobs.

a lot of people definitely try to abuse the esa stuff but it’s not meant to be a “take your pet anywhere and you can’t be barred from any place” like a seeing-eye dog would be. it’s just to say “this persons mental health will be harmed if they can’t live with their animal so you can’t do that to them”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

a lot of people definitely try to abuse the esa stuff but it’s not meant to be a “take your pet anywhere and you can’t be barred from any place” like a seeing-eye dog would be. it’s just to say “this persons mental health will be harmed if they can’t live with their animal so you can’t do that to them”

Yeah I just edited to add that to my post lol, I got no problem if you just need a dogfriend at home or whatever it's the people that drag their untrained pets into public places that cause problems.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Shame Boy posted:

ESA is not the same as a service animal. Service animals (of any kind) are HIGHLY trained and must be trained in at least two commands to assist the handler with some aspect of their disability (fetch a specific item or provide physical support or alert to pending seizures). There are some protections afforded to ESAs, especially for housing and transportation, but service animals are considered medical equipment.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

just use a gentle touch, birds are a lot more delicate than mammals

Is it possible to befriend the jackdaws in my yard? This is important.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You can but the problem is they can get really needy

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wonder how many people are joining the military for ages to things like VA loans. My brother commented he's the oldest homeowner in his neighborhood, and he's not even thirty. The only way he was able to buy a home in CA is through the VA loan program which meant he never really had to save up for a down payment. His neighbors are all like 23 years old which is pretty young to be a homeowner.

Certainly better than being up to your neck in student loans and paying pet rent

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

corvids are cool fun friends but you cant let them crash indefinitely cuz they will

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Isn't it illegal to keep them as pets because they're (meant to be) migratory?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

for the record im talking about Birds Without Owners, as memorialized by Skynyrd

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That's not a bird picture by the way.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anonumos posted:

ESA is not the same as a service animal. Service animals (of any kind) are HIGHLY trained and must be trained in at least two commands to assist the handler with some aspect of their disability (fetch a specific item or provide physical support or alert to pending seizures). There are some protections afforded to ESAs, especially for housing and transportation, but service animals are considered medical equipment.

I'm aware (though service animals aren't actually as regulated as you'd think, which came as a surprise to me last time I looked into things). I used service animals in my example specifically because they're highly trained and very well-behaved, unlike most ESA's.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Do you also have a handicapped parking placard to get those sweet up-front parking spots?

No, I do not, and a doctor wouldn't sign off on one for me because I don't have any issues that would warrant one.

I also don't have my cat registered as an ESA because my landlord allows her without additional pet rent or deposit. But I can easily say that without her around my wellbeing would absolutely diminish so if I needed to, I would, and I wouldn't feel an ounce of shame for doing so. Nor should you or anyone else in that sort of situation. The reality is that for the vast majority of pets, they cause no actual issues and things like pet deposit and pet rent are a way to fleece the fact that people are bonded to their pets similar to family and most people will capitulate. I am here to give advice on how to not allow rent-seekers to rent-seek more.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zenithe posted:

That's not a bird picture by the way.

it is a picture of Mischief the White Necked Raven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfsnHVaScjg

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That's pretty clearly a rabbit friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

We are all rabbit friends.