Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Remember when we had hope for the future? When we thought that global warming was just a scary theory that we were going to fix and that when we grew up we'd go to college and get jobs and raise families and eventually retire?

I'm glad I don't have children. I've seen the hints of what's to come and I think anyone else who has is either willfully ignorant or terribly cruel to bring new life into this world. Governments across the world descend into fascism as both temperatures and waters rise, opportunities shrivel and rot away as parasites drain them to fill their already bulging pockets, and nobody has the power to make any sort of significant change.

Some nights I can't do anything but sit and cry. The world is hosed and nothing will fix it. The ones on top don't want to fix it. They want to fix it, they profit from the world's rape. They prop up fascist governments because keeping the people ground beneath your heel is a good way to maintain the status quo.

Christ, is there any way out? No wonder people turn into spree shooters. At least for a few moments they feel like they have power to effect change, even if it's power of the worst, most pathetic sort used for change of the ghastliest, most tragic kind.

we live in a society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

it's hard not to despair, but no fate but what we make yo

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

total ban on all semiautomatic guns full stop.

every citizen upon turning 25 can take a govt safety and competency test and upon passing are given a free single action revolver that can be kept in their home

after a more advanced exam (including proving justification for ownership) you’re given a bolt-action rifle (turn-bolt only) and/or break-action shotgun

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Going to buck the trend and say if this is accurate:

quote:

We had our meeting about a week ago, and someone who was pretty new to the group made a comment about how she never buys books. I thought she meant she was a big library patron, but she snorted and calls libraries old-fashioned. I asked how she got the book, and she said "Well I downloaded it on (whatever site). You can download any book you want."

I was shocked to hear that, and suggested she get a library card if she can't afford it. She got VERY offended and sniped back "Uh, I can afford it, but why would I if I don't have to?"
then she sucks

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kyle Hyde posted:

i scanned the comments and lol. how do people still think that every pirated copy of any given media directly plucks a dollar or whatever out of the creators hands? i thought we solved that by the time napster went under.

lot of people in those comments thinking they're gonna be the next hit media billionaire. minor no-name novelists and film extras suggesting piracy is the reason they're not making any money

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Splicer posted:

Going to buck the trend and say if this is accurate:

then she sucks

Naw intellectual property is stupid, steal whatever isn’t tied down, hail satan

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Screaming Idiot posted:

Remember when we had hope for the future? When we thought that global warming was just a scary theory that we were going to fix and that when we grew up we'd go to college and get jobs and raise families and eventually retire?

I'm glad I don't have children. I've seen the hints of what's to come and I think anyone else who has is either willfully ignorant or terribly cruel to bring new life into this world. Governments across the world descend into fascism as both temperatures and waters rise, opportunities shrivel and rot away as parasites drain them to fill their already bulging pockets, and nobody has the power to make any sort of significant change.

Some nights I can't do anything but sit and cry. The world is hosed and nothing will fix it. The ones on top don't want to fix it. They want to fix it, they profit from the world's rape. They prop up fascist governments because keeping the people ground beneath your heel is a good way to maintain the status quo.

Christ, is there any way out? No wonder people turn into spree shooters. At least for a few moments they feel like they have power to effect change, even if it's power of the worst, most pathetic sort used for change of the ghastliest, most tragic kind.

Get offline and start organizing with leftists in the real, it’s not a panacea but it helps to know you’re not alone and to feel the power of community

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Crusader posted:

quick we need more nuclear exchanges as training data

https://twitter.com/BulletinAtomic/status/1168481953227706370

loving lol we've been warning ourselves against this for half a century but gently caress it, let's do skynet anyway. Holy poo poo were dumb.

:magemage:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Centrist Committee posted:

Naw intellectual property is stupid, steal whatever isn’t tied down, hail satan

libraries are good, though, support ur local library

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
He’ll yeah!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

libraries own bones

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Apparently last month when I paid my bills online, I put the electric bill amount in the internet bill amount, and vice versa. Consider my surprise to open what I thought was just the electric bill to find a disconnect notice.

On the other hand, I don't have to pay for internet this month, and I prepaid an additional $30 on the internet for next month :negative:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/thehumanxp/status/1168644796757532678?s=19

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Libraries are great! But also stealing from corporations! Maybe do both at the same time!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

by pirating anything I would otherwise check out I save wear and tear on the library's books, it's really win/win

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
libraries own :hai:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
whenever you pirate a book, note the money you would have spent on gas/fare to get to your library and donate it to them at the end of the month.

everybody wins

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Heartcatch posted:

Libraries are great! But also stealing from corporations! Maybe do both at the same time!

This man steals from libraries.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Heartcatch posted:

pirate .epubs on library wifi :getin:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Office Commando posted:

pirate .epubs on library wifi :getin:

:eyepop:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Check books out from the library and then pirate them when you return them.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
now thats paper

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Bushiz posted:

Check books out from the library and then pirate them when you return them.

Hi Calibre answer.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

steal books and leave them at the library

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kitfox88 posted:

steal books and leave them at the library

Pirate epubs on library wifi, pay to print them out on the library printer, then leave your new bespoke artisan crafted books on the shelves

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/MajorMcDoom/status/1168661569691168772

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Idk a bunch of gamers virtually humping each other via wasp simulator multiplayer is pretty lol imo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

thats actually real cute, but why do they need a guard shack?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Because it's loading access. The guy in the shack tells them which loading dock to go to and also keeps passenger cars out of the area.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Sponsored by ring lol, so even if it's fake they still think it's a great selling point

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

smarxist posted:

Sponsored by ring lol, so even if it's fake they still think it's a great selling point

Alert your child's new partner that you're a psychopath. Seems a good use case.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Heartcatch posted:

Hey I mean every book you borrow from the library is a book you didn't buy to read so you ARE doing both at the same time.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

smarxist posted:

some DEFINITELY non-racist and non-classist motives here

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I saw a review of Ring the other day that came to the conclusion that it wasn't actually much good as a doorbell, since going through the internet to find your phone often involves some delay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VvTzmp08OE&t=520s

I wonder how it compares pricewise to other security camera services.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

QwertySanchez posted:

Hey I mean every book you borrow from the library is a book you didn't buy to read so you ARE doing both at the same time.

Hey, yeah! That's a good point!

You can always do more though, being that the literary products of humanity belong to all humans already.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

smarxist posted:

abusive, controlling parents and spouses are a lucrative market

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The first one is NOT dystopian. Igloo isn't an omnipresent, omnivorous, world spanning corporate giant.

...Yet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MRC48B posted:

The first one is NOT dystopian. Igloo isn't an omnipresent, omnivorous, world spanning corporate giant.

...Yet

The second one isn’t dystopian because snow still exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

What’s drainage precious